inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why aren't there any cool new teen shows anymore? :(

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/11/15 at 12:01 am

I love love LOVED the teen and young adult shows of the '90s. They are so interesting, relatable, suspenseful, and invigorating. Now there aren't even any teen shows that exist these days. Networks don't even try to cater to young people. Almost anything that is pitched to networks gets cancelled after like six episodes. Victoria Justice's new show "Eye Candy" is destined to fail, and it hasn't even premiered yet. Where is my generation's "7th Heaven", "Dawson's Creek", and "Sabrina the Teenage Witch"? Come on networks, I want some awesome teen shows!

Subject: Re: Why aren't there any cool new teen shows anymore? :(

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/15 at 12:04 am

The early to mid 90s years of Beverly Hills 90210 is a guilty pleasure of mine!  :-X

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/15 at 1:47 am

I love love LOVED the teen and young adult shows of the '90s. They are so interesting, relatable, suspenseful, and invigorating. Now there aren't even any teen shows that exist these days. Networks don't even try to cater to young people. Almost anything that is pitched to networks gets cancelled after like six episodes. Victoria Justice's new show "Eye Candy" is destined to fail, and it hasn't even premiered yet. Where is my generation's "7th Heaven", "Dawson's Creek", and "Sabrina the Teenage Witch"? Come on networks, I want some awesome teen shows!

You can rule out a "7th Heaven" reunion show now.

I'd like to see the "Saved By The Bell" cast do a revival such as "SBTB: Adults".

Written By: gibbo on 01/11/15 at 2:24 am

I'd like to see the "Saved By The Bell" cast do a revival such as "SBTB: Adults".

I thought Dustin Diamond had already started up on this idea! ;)

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/15 at 2:47 am

Degrassi is still on!

Finding Carter on MTV
The Fosters on ABC Fam
Open Heart is a new show starting on Nick.

It's not a lot but it's something.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/11/15 at 4:50 am

I thought Dustin Diamond had already started up on this idea! ;)

They wouldn't want anything to do with him, he's become such a creep.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/11/15 at 5:28 am

I liked 90210.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/15 at 8:01 am

They wouldn't want anything to do with him, he's become such a creep.

I bet he could get a series on SpikeTV or TrueTV.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/11/15 at 8:02 am

Perish the thought!  :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/15 at 10:06 am

Perish the thought!  :o

And there's also a fair chance that he could get Lisa Turtle to reprise her role, too.  Maybe Screech could finally win her heart on this series.

http://www.tvtango.com/uploads/blogImages/193/saved_by_the_bell_screech_lisa.jpg

Written By: Howard on 01/11/15 at 2:54 pm

depends if the cast would be willing to do it.

Written By: Howard on 01/11/15 at 2:56 pm

most of the demographic have grown up now so I'm not sure if there are any new teen shows.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/11/15 at 6:23 pm

I didn't mean the shows themselves coming back, but meant the 2010s equivalent of those shows aimed at my generation.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/11/15 at 6:58 pm

I didn't mean the shows themselves coming back, but meant the 2010s equivalent of those shows aimed at my generation.

I know what you meant. It would be nice if there were, TV desperately needs variety.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/15 at 8:21 pm

Is "Glee" a cool teen show?

Written By: Howard on 01/12/15 at 2:44 pm

Which shows do you mean?

Written By: Howard on 01/12/15 at 2:45 pm

I know what you meant. It would be nice if there were, TV desperately needs variety.

It needs to get rid of reality shows forever.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 01/23/15 at 1:02 am

Funny, you say that. As an early 90s fan, I always thought Saved By the Bell, Beverly Hills 90210 and Degrassi High were the best teen shows of the 1990s over what you listed. If anything, Dawson's Creek killed off those California Dreams type shows. Dawson acted too much like a grown up to be a teenager. Then again, the 90s kept wanting to be more edgier and edgier. The WB of then was the precursor to The CW or whatever the heck it is today. Teen shows became too boring to look at. Those Mad TV sketches really brought that fact to light. I just didn't care for Joey, Dawson or Pacey, they were too blah… even at the time. Melissa Joan Hart had more character as Clarissa than she did when she was Sabrina. She was cuter too when she wore the braces in the first season. Nickelodeon had better teen shows in the early 90s. How can you forget Mortis the Tortoise (he always plays it safe) from Welcome Freshmen or Donkeylips from Salute Your Shorts? Good times.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/15 at 6:59 am

the demographic changes, that's why.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/24/15 at 6:39 pm

The demographic changes, that's why.

I'm not talking about people who were teens in the '90s. I'm talking about today's teens and young adults (like me).

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/21/15 at 3:59 pm

I'm not talking about people who were teens in the '90s. I'm talking about today's teens and young adults (like me).

I personally believe its 2000s backlash IMO, because I remember thst was a VERY teenaged focus decade. Now adult culture has been pretty dominate. BTW, the CW has Arrow,Flash, Reign, and new show Jane the Virgin. I think they are all pretty damn good. But yea I've accepted that. Then again growing up I was kind of a mature kid when it came to preferences. Besides watching Nick,CN,Disney Channel,Kids WB, Toon Disney,Fox Kids,PBS Kids, I would watch adult tv with my grandparents, some teen shows with my mom and educational and sports tv with my dad.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/26/15 at 10:31 pm

I personally believe its 2000s backlash IMO, because I remember thst was a VERY teenaged focus decade. Now adult culture has been pretty dominate. BTW, the CW has Arrow,Flash, Reign, and new show Jane the Virgin. I think they are all pretty damn good. But yea I've accepted that. Then again growing up I was kind of a mature kid when it came to preferences. Besides watching Nick,CN,Disney Channel,Kids WB, Toon Disney,Fox Kids,PBS Kids, I would watch adult tv with my grandparents, some teen shows with my mom and educational and sports tv with my dad.

The 2000's weren't the only teenaged decade. The '00s were teenaged to being immature. Characters in teen movies and shows in the '00s were so annoying and bratty (like Avril Lavigne). The '90s were more sophisticated and had something for everyone, including young people. The '10s pretty much only aim at the 25 plus demographic when it comes to television. I want youth culture to come back into tv, but in a mature way, like the '90s. We still have a chance. I'm not gonna completely diss the 2010s as they aren't even over yet.

Check for new replies or respond here...