inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Great British Bake Off

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/15 at 5:14 am

The return of BBC One's The Great British Bake Off attracted 9.3 million viewers - more than two million up on last year's opening episode.

Wednesday saw the start of the journey for 12 amateur bakers who are vying to be crowned the latest Bake Off winner.

Last year saw the series move from BBC Two to One, and it attracted huge ratings thanks to headline-grabbing incidents such as "Flangate".

A record 12.3 million viewers watched Nancy Birtwhistle win the final.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33800711

Subject: Re: The Great British Bake Off opener watched by 9.3m viewers

Written By: karen on 08/12/15 at 7:42 am

I love Bake Off.  Shame it's on Wednesdays as I am usually out then.  I watched the repeat over the weekend so I need to check what day/time that is.

Loads of people were moaning about this show on the BBC Points of View messageboard.  "not another cookery programme" seemed to be the main gripe.  But I think Bake Off is not really about the cooking aspect of it.  It's not like you can follow any of the show stopper recipes for example.

Is Dorret's "flaccid mousse" the 2015 equivalent of flan gate?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/15 at 7:49 am

I love Bake Off.  Shame it's on Wednesdays as I am usually out then.  I watched the repeat over the weekend so I need to check what day/time that is.

Loads of people were moaning about this show on the BBC Points of View messageboard.  "not another cookery programme" seemed to be the main gripe.  But I think Bake Off is not really about the cooking aspect of it.  It's not like you can follow any of the show stopper recipes for example.

Is Dorret's "flaccid mousse" the 2015 equivalent of flan gate?
Bake Off is classic, love Mel and She!

There is always BBC iPlayer to catch during the following week.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/15 at 7:27 am

The second episode of Great British Bake-Off was watched by an average audience of 8.9 million on BBC One last night, according to overnight ratings.

That's 400,000 down on last week's opening episode - but still pretty good.

It was biscuit week but which of the contestant saw their hopes crumble

Subject: Great British Bake Off: More than 10 million tune in to first episode

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/16 at 1:08 am

The Great British Bake Off attracted an average of 10.4 million viewers as it returned for a seventh series - a record opener for the BBC One show.
The episode was watched by 47.5% of all television viewers with a peak audience of 11.2 million at 20:50 BST.
That means it beat the most-watched moments of the Rio Olympics, which peaked at 11.1 million viewers.
Judge Paul Hollywood said the show was going "back to basics" this year, with critics praising its winning recipe.
Twelve new bakers were seen entering the Bake Off tent on Wednesday, tackling drizzle cakes, Jaffa cakes and a genoise sponge.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37183261

Subject: Re: The Great British Bake Off

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/16 at 5:24 pm

The BBC has lost the contract to broadcast The Great British Bake Off, which will now be shown on Channel 4.
It has signed a three-year deal with Love Productions, which makes the hit show, currently shown on BBC One.
The first programme, a version of Celebrity Bake Off, will come in 2017.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37344292

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/16 at 4:06 pm

Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc will step down as hosts of The Great British Bake Off when it moves to Channel 4.

Written By: karen on 09/17/16 at 2:33 am

A few people at work have said they will stop watching it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/17/16 at 2:39 am

Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc will step down as hosts of The Great British Bake Off when it moves to Channel 4.

A few people at work have said they will stop watching it.
It has been jokingly said on FB that the two new presenters could be from Top Gear Matt LeBlanc and Chris Evans?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/17/16 at 7:27 am

Will it have Nigella Lawson? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/16 at 5:55 am

Will it have Nigella Lawson? ???
She has her own television series.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/16 at 5:55 am

Paul Hollywood is to continue as a judge on The Great British Bake Off when the show moves to Channel 4 but Mary Berry is to leave the series.
In a statement, Hollywood said he was "delighted" to be staying on the show.
"It's been a huge part of my life in the past few years and I just couldn't turn my back on all that," he said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37437907

Written By: Howard on 09/22/16 at 3:22 pm

She has her own television series.

I just love her cooking.

Written By: karen on 09/24/16 at 12:20 pm

Paul Hollywood is to continue as a judge on The Great British Bake Off when the show moves to Channel 4 but Mary Berry is to leave the series.
In a statement, Hollywood said he was "delighted" to be staying on the show.
"It's been a huge part of my life in the past few years and I just couldn't turn my back on all that," he said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37437907

He's a traitor!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/16 at 4:14 pm

He's a traitor!
He will not appear on the BBC again?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/16 at 9:19 am

Great British Bake Off winner Nadiya Hussain said she has had "no offers" from Channel 4 to join the show.
"I love writing, cooking and baking. I'm enjoying what I'm doing and I don't want it to be taken away from me," the Junior Bake Off judge told the BBC.
When asked if Channel 4 had approached her about the show, which is moving from BBC One, she told Newsround: "No."

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37493689

Written By: karen on 10/26/16 at 6:19 pm

Just watched the final.  I had to do it on catch up straight after my morris dance practice.  It is so hard to avoid spoilers for this show.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/16 at 9:10 pm

Paul Hollywood has vowed that the format of The Great British Bake Off will "stay exactly the same" when it moves to Channel 4.
He is the only celebrity participant to be following the show to its new home.
Fellow judge Mary Berry and hosts Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins left the show after the BBC lost the rights.
"The Bake Off won't change in the sense that the format will stay exactly the same, the tent will stay the same, the challenges," Hollywood said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38237763

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/17 at 4:40 pm

The BBC is moving its new cooking show to avoid a clash with The Great British Bake Off when it launches on Channel 4. Channel 4 has poached Bake Off from the BBC and has scheduled the new series to open at 20:00 BST on Tuesday 29 August. The Big Family Cooking Showdown is on BBC Two at the same time on Tuesdays - but it will now move to Thursdays. The BBC said Channel 4's choice to move Bake Off from its previous Wednesday slot would be a "surprise" for viewers who "may see this as a cynical move". However, Channel 4 said: "We made the decision about where to schedule The Great British Bake Off a few months after acquiring it and we haven't moved it since then. "It is in the original Tuesday evening slot where the majority of past series have played." Bake Off has been shown on Wednesdays for the past three years, but was on Tuesdays from 2010-2013.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40949537

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/17 at 1:21 am

The Great British Bake Off: 33 things to know about the Channel 4 series

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41003075

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/17 at 11:43 am

The Great British Bake Off started a new series this week in the UK, with the repeat showing this Sunday. After the first episode, there is still the charm and innuendos from the new presenters Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig. I look forward to watching the whole series.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/17 at 2:34 pm

The first episode of this year's Great British Bake Off provided one of the biggest audiences in Channel 4's 35-year history, new figures show. Full ratings, which includes those who watched the show up to seven days later, ended up at 9.5 million viewers. No programme has achieved ratings as high since Big Fat Gypsy Weddings had 9.7 million viewers in February 2011. Channel 4's creative officer Jay Hunt said: "Bake Off has well and truly landed." She added: "I'm thrilled viewers have warmed to Paul, Prue, Noel and Sandi and are enjoying the exceptional standard of baking."

Subject: Great British Bake Off: Prue Leith accidentally reveals winner

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/17 at 8:11 am

Great British Bake Off judge Prue Leith has accidentally revealed the show's winner, hours before the finale is due to air. She announced the name of a winner in a tweet, after saying how "emotional" judging the final had been. The tweet was hastily deleted, but not before many people had noticed and remarked upon the gaffe. Leith has expressed regret for her mistake, saying she was "mortified" by the error.

THERE ARE NO SPOILERS IN THIS ARTICLE

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41817713

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/17 at 7:57 am

The Great British Bake Off finale was seen by a live audience of 7.3 million, overnight viewing figures show. That rose to 7.7 million when including those watching on Channel 4 +1. The viewing figures come in spite of Prue Leith accidentally tweeting the name of the winner 10 hours early. It's Channel 4's highest overnight ratings since the Paralympics Opening Ceremony in 2012.

Written By: karen on 11/01/17 at 5:43 pm

I don't follow anyone on twitter so hadn't picked up the result.

I think the right person won.  Sophie baked a brilliant showstopper - even though Paul Hollywood was very doubtful the flavour combinations would work.

I felt sorry for Stephen.  He got into a flap and then it started to go wrong

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/17 at 5:46 pm

I don't follow anyone on twitter so hadn't picked up the result.

I think the right person won.  Sophie baked a brilliant showstopper - even though Paul Hollywood was very doubtful the flavour combinations would work.

I felt sorry for Stephen.  He got into a flap and then it started to go wrong
I did watch a few earlier episodes, but, even though on a different day, my television concentration turned to "The Apprentice" went it started.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/18 at 6:16 am

The Great British Bake Off final was watched by an average live audience of 7.5 million people, according to overnight figures. This is a slight increase on last year's final, which brought in 7.3 million live viewers. A peak audience of 8.1 million saw Rahul Mandal crowned the winner in the final five minutes of the show. Ratings did not match those obtained when the show was on BBC One - the 2016 final brought in 14 million viewers.

Subject: Re: The Great British Bake Off 2019

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/19 at 5:48 am

A geography teacher, a vet and a fashion designer are just three of the contestants hoping to win this year's Great British Bake Off. It returns to Channel 4 on Tuesday 27 August, the third series since it moved across from BBC One. The presenters and judges remain the same, with Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig back for another year of puns. Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith will also be on hand to judge the best bakes produced in the famous white tent. This year's line-up consists of a baker's dozen - 13 - instead of the usual 12, and there's a decidedly younger contingent.

Written By: Criz on 09/28/19 at 1:18 pm

What are we thinking about the current series? I thought it was a travesty that Helena won the technical and got sent home. She was a such a great personality to have on the programme!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/19 at 6:18 am

What are we thinking about the current series? I thought it was a travesty that Helena won the technical and got sent home. She was a such a great personality to have on the programme!
Sorry, I have not watched the program since it changed channels, and with the Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig, one I cannot stand, and the other I totally adored.

Written By: Criz on 09/29/19 at 1:51 pm

Sorry, I have not watched the program since it changed channels, and with the Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig, one I cannot stand, and the other I totally adored.

This has actually been the first series I have seen on CH4. Aside from the Stand Up To cancer ones (Please watch the James Acaster episode if you haven't!). I loved the BBC ones but it is still as good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/19 at 1:52 pm

This has actually been the first series I have seen on CH4. Aside from the Stand Up To cancer ones (Please watch the James Acaster episode if you haven't!). I loved the BBC ones but it is still as good.
For me it was Mel & Sue that made it.

Written By: Criz on 09/29/19 at 2:46 pm

For me it was Mel & Sue that made it.

I do love Mel and Sue, but I have to say - Sandy and Noel make it work.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/24/19 at 8:49 am

Paul Hollywood sorry for 'thoughtless' diabetes joke on Bake Off

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50166028

Paul Hollywood has apologised for a "thoughtless" joke about diabetes made on The Great British Bake Off. Some fans of the Channel 4 show took to social media to voice their upset when the judge made the comment about one contestant's bake. When commenting on the sticky creations, Hollywood said they looked like "diabetes on a plate". He later took to Instagram to voice his regret, saying he had "meant no harm".

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/20 at 8:21 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51133199

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51133199

Sandi Toksvig is to leave The Great British Bake Off after three years. The presenter said she wanted to focus on other work commitments. "As my waistline will testify, Bake Off is an all-consuming show," Toksvig tweeted. "Bake Off is a wonderful programme which has already proved it can happily withstand a change of hosting personnel," she added.
Her co-host Noel Fielding said he would miss her, but knew "we were lucky to have her for 3 amazing years". The pair took over presenting duties when the programme moved to Channel 4 in 2017. Prior to that, the show aired on the BBC and was fronted by Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins, known as Mel and Sue. Toksvig will still appear on the next series of The Great Celebrity Bake Off for Stand Up To Cancer, broadcast in the spring.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/20 at 6:14 am

Sandi Toksvig is to leave The Great British Bake Off after three years....
Little Britain star Matt Lucas is to replace Sandi Toksvig as co-host of The Great British Bake Off. Lucas will join Noel Fielding in the Channel 4 tent when filming on the 11th series begins this spring. "I'm chuffed to bits to be joining the most delicious show on television," Lucas said. Channel 4 director of programmes Ian Katz said: "We're thrilled that one much-loved national institution is joining another. Matt has everything it takes to be a great Bake Off presenter - he's warm, hilarious and loves cake."

Written By: karen on 03/11/20 at 6:00 pm

Little Britain star Matt Lucas is to replace Sandi Toksvig as co-host of The Great British Bake Off. Lucas will join Noel Fielding in the Channel 4 tent when filming on the 11th series begins this spring. "I'm chuffed to bits to be joining the most delicious show on television," Lucas said. Channel 4 director of programmes Ian Katz said: "We're thrilled that one much-loved national institution is joining another. Matt has everything it takes to be a great Bake Off presenter - he's warm, hilarious and loves cake."

Hmm, don't know that I'm keen.

Did you see the celebrity version yesterday for Stand Up to Cancer?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/20 at 2:27 am

Not yet, and hoping it is on the Channel4 Catch-up app.

btw, I never liked Noel Fielding, even on "QI", he seems to be unfunny for me, and once he was in a queue beside me in McDonald's once.

Written By: Criz on 03/14/20 at 12:15 pm

Hmm, don't know that I'm keen.

I did - I adore Louis Theroux!

Not keen on Matt Lucas either...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/15/20 at 12:42 pm

Are you serious???!!!  Matt Lucas!!! That could be interesting.  Mel and Sue were great.  Sandy took some getting used to.  Pru is not as charming as Mary Berry.  However she did catch on quick.  The Holiday Shows were nice.  Although it would be pretty neat if they did different themes. Not just holidays.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/20 at 12:58 pm

Are you serious???!!!  Matt Lucas!!! That could be interesting.  Mel and Sue were great.  Sandy took some getting used to.  Pru is not as charming as Mary Berry.  However she did catch on quick.  The Holiday Shows were nice.  Although it would be pretty neat if they did different themes. Not just holidays.
Matt Lucas fothe TGBBO was announced in March this year before the cancellation of recording of programs began, we probably have to wait now.

Check for new replies or respond here...