inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: House of Cards

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/16 at 6:00 pm

Anyone watching this? The new season came out today on Netflix!

I've watched the first two episodes and it's off to a great start, much better than Season 3 so far.

Subject: Re: House of Cards

Written By: 2001 on 03/07/16 at 12:15 pm

I finished episode 6. Is seriously no one watching this show? It's very good!

Written By: philbo on 03/12/16 at 7:55 am

I've watched the first two (of the US one.. the original was *so* much shorter - two series, four episodes each, and even that was a massive divergence from the book (I won't say why as it would be the most massive spoiler ever written))

Do they get better with Frank as president?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/12/16 at 12:05 pm

I'm starting to watch the show on Netflix. Seems interesting, even though I haven't watch an entire episode yet.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/12/16 at 12:48 pm

I finished episode 6. Is seriously no one watching this show? It's very good!

So, what episode are you at?

Written By: 2001 on 03/12/16 at 4:08 pm

I've watched the first two (of the US one.. the original was *so* much shorter - two series, four episodes each, and even that was a massive divergence from the book (I won't say why as it would be the most massive spoiler ever written))

Do they get better with Frank as president?

Oh, I never knew there was a book! I'll definitely add it to my to-read list.

Haha, he gets worse but in a good way. ;) They don't concentrate as much on his presidency this season though.

So, what episode are you at?

I finished all the episodes this morning. Overall, I'd say Season 1 > Season 4 > Season 2 > Season 3. Remember, as bad as Seasons 2/3 get, there is light at the end of the tunnel.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/12/16 at 4:17 pm

I finished all the episodes this morning. Overall, I'd say Season 1 > Season 4 > Season 2 > Season 3. Remember, as bad as Seasons 2/3 get, there is light at the end of the tunnel.  ;D

I don't really think Seasons 2 and 3 are bad, since I only watched the first two episodes of Season 1.

Written By: 2001 on 03/12/16 at 4:20 pm

I don't really think Seasons 2 and 3 are bad, since I only watched the first two episodes of Season 1.

Oh trust me, Season 3 is going to be very tedious and annoying.  :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/12/16 at 4:28 pm

Oh trust me, Season 3 is going to be very tedious and annoying.  :(

Over the main character as president of the United States? That sounds like Dexter Morgan in Season 4 of Dexter after he married Rita.

Written By: philbo on 03/13/16 at 10:47 am

Oh, I never knew there was a book! I'll definitely add it to my to-read list.

It's by Michael Dobbs (a Tory MP back then, now ennobled, so Lord Dobbs), it's the UK variant & is a super book.

It's funny, I described season 1 as a bit of a curtain-raiser for s2, which I preferred (there's a bit more real skulduggery in s2); though they do spend a lot of time on minutiae of the stages bills go through, which I still find interesting.  The power games are a little different over there

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/13/16 at 8:11 pm

As of this post, I just watched the entire first season of House of Cards. In my humble opinion, I think the show is quite as brilliant as The Sopranos and Dexter. Frank Underwood is basically like Tony Soprano and Dexter Morgan political-wise, except that he isn't a mobster nor an official serial killer.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/16/16 at 6:58 pm

I'm about halfway through Season 4.

Written By: 2001 on 03/16/16 at 7:38 pm

It's by Michael Dobbs (a Tory MP back then, now ennobled, so Lord Dobbs), it's the UK variant & is a super book.
It's funny, I described season 1 as a bit of a curtain-raiser for s2, which I preferred (there's a bit more real skulduggery in s2); though they do spend a lot of time on minutiae of the stages bills go through, which I still find interesting.  The power games are a little different over there

I felt like Frank and Claire, who were described as very detached, unemotional and calculating in the first season, become more emotional and reckless as Season 2/3 drag on, which is what brought those seasons down for me. However, I do enjoy the politics of the show, just showing how day-to-day life on Capitol Hill and the White House work.

As of this post, I just watched the entire first season of House of Cards. In my humble opinion, I think the show is quite as brilliant as The Sopranos and Dexter. Frank Underwood is basically like Tony Soprano and Dexter Morgan political-wise, except that he isn't a mobster nor an official serial killer.

Glad you liked it! O0 And you kept saying 2010s shows are bad! There are so many great ones to choose from, I don't even have time to watch them all. ;D

I'm about halfway through Season 4.

It's all uphill from there. You are about to watch some of the best television television has to offer. ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/16/16 at 7:58 pm

Glad you liked it! O0 And you kept saying 2010s shows are bad! There are so many great ones to choose from, I don't even have time to watch them all. ;D

Well, there are some that I like from the 2010s, besides House of Cards. There's American Horror Story, Boardwalk Empire, We Bare Bears, and Teen Titans Go (if anyone hates it, don't antagonize me just for liking it).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/17/16 at 8:18 pm

Yesterday, I just finished watching Season 2. It's not really that good compared to Season 1, and yet it seems to bore me sometimes. Although, my favorite episodes were the premiere and finale.

Written By: 2001 on 03/17/16 at 9:00 pm

Yesterday, I just finished watched Season 2. It's not really that good compared to Season 1, and yet it seems to bore me sometimes. Although, my favorite episodes were the premiere and finale.

Damn, you're binging! Now to binge through Season 3. Godspeed to you.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/17/16 at 9:23 pm

Damn, you're binging! Now to binge through Season 3. Godspeed to you.

I'm already on the fourth episode of Season 3.

Written By: 2001 on 03/18/16 at 4:26 pm

I'm already on the fourth episode of Season 3.

Did you finish it?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/18/16 at 4:54 pm

Did you finish it?

Yeah. I'm going to watch episode 6 in a few moments.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/16 at 5:25 pm

Right now, I'm on the eleventh episode of Season 3. For what I can tell, even though I'm not done with the season, at least it's better than S2. Sorry Slowpoke, but I think Season 2 wasn't my cup of tea.

Written By: 2001 on 03/19/16 at 5:30 pm

Right now, I'm on the eleventh episode of Season 3. For what I can tell, even though I'm not done with the season, at least it's better than S2. Sorry Slowpoke, but I think Season 2 wasn't my cup of tea.

Haha, that's cool. Wait till you get to Season 4 though. That's the one you're not allowed to hate on! >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/16 at 5:33 pm

Haha, that's cool. Wait till you get to Season 4 though. That's the one you're not allowed to hate on! >:(

I'm pretty sure Seasons 1, 3, and 4 can be better than Season 2.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/16 at 9:34 pm

I just finished Season 3 as of this post. I gotta say, it was WAY better than Season 2. Although, it's not as great as Season 1, but at least it didn't bore me to death. I loved the episode where it had Petrov visiting the White House, while having Pussy Riot performing one of their songs in the credits. Amazing as f*ck.

Written By: 2001 on 03/20/16 at 2:51 pm

I just finished Season 3 as of this post. I gotta say, it was WAY better than Season 2. Although, it's not as great as Season 1, but at least it didn't bore me to death. I loved the episode where it had Petrov visiting the White House, while having Pussy Riot performing one of their songs in the credits. Amazing as f*ck.

Season 4 has a completely different style story from the other 3. Get ready  8)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/20/16 at 3:51 pm

Season 4 has a completely different style story from the other 3. Get ready  8)

I could tell by watching some of the episodes. Especially the one where Frank gets shot by Lucas Goodwin.

Written By: 2001 on 03/20/16 at 4:01 pm

Wow you already got that far? :D You probably want to put that in spoilers though ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/20/16 at 4:22 pm

Wow you already got that far? :D You probably want to put that in spoilers though ;D

Yeah. I'm already on the seventh episode of Season 4.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/21/16 at 12:12 pm

"You a mutherf*cka...MISTER PRESIDENT!!!"

One of my favorite lines of the whole series.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/21/16 at 3:00 pm

"You a mutherf*cka...MISTER PRESIDENT!!!"

One of my favorite lines of the whole series.  ;D

Holy sheesh, that was the last episode I'd watch yesterday.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/21/16 at 6:51 pm

As of this post, I've watched the entire set of Season 4. All I could say is that I can't wait for Season 5. This is absolutely my favorite season out of the whole series. I just love of how most of the episodes are either about ICO, the Conways, Claire's mother, Hammerschmidt, and the 2016 election. I f*cking wish this was the real 2016 election, instead of having Trump, Cruz, Kasich, Sanders, and Clinton being the candidates for their political parties. Most of them are nothing more but jokes to Americans. Especially Trump and Clinton. Underwood is basically like the 21st century Lyndon B. Johsnon since he's a southern Democrat.

If I had to rate the seasons, it would be like this.

Season 4 > Season 1 > Season 3 >> Season 2

That is all.

Written By: 2001 on 03/21/16 at 6:53 pm

As of this post, I've watched the entire set of Season 4. All I could say is that I can't wait for Season 5. This is absolutely my favorite season out of the whole series. I just love of how most of the episodes are either about ICO, the Conways, Claire's mother, Hammerschmidt, and the 2016 election. I f*cking wish this was the real 2016 election, instead of having Trump, Cruz, Kasich, Sanders, and Clinton being the candidates for their political parties. Most of them are nothing more but jokes to Americans. Especially Trump and Clinton. Underwood is basically like the 21st century Lyndon B. Johsnon since he's a southern Democrat.

If I had to rate the seasons, it would be like this.

Season 4 > Season 1 > Season 3 >> Season 2

That is all.

LOL Clinton and Trump aren't the greatest but I don't think they're as bad as Underwoods. Those guys are straight up evil ;D

But I'm still rooting for them. 8)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/21/16 at 6:56 pm

LOL Clinton and Trump aren't the greatest but I don't think they're as bad as Underwoods. Those guys are straight up evil ;D

But I'm still rooting for them. 8)

Okay yeah, Frank killed about two people (and one dog). But it's not like he's as bad as Trump. For christ sakes, I'll say that Trump is evil for saying all of those racist things. Despite his thoughts being protected by freedom of speech, it just seems offensive towards people who are minorities.

Written By: 2001 on 03/22/16 at 4:00 pm

Okay yeah, Frank killed about two people (and one dog). But it's not like he's as bad as Trump. For christ sakes, I'll say that Trump is evil for saying all of those racist things. Despite his thoughts being protected by freedom of speech, it just seems offensive towards people who are minorities.

Gotta use them spoiler tags bro ;D

That's true, the Underwoods aren't racist. I'm not sure if I could vote anyone who wants to dismantle social security though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/22/16 at 4:16 pm

Gotta use them spoiler tags bro ;D

That's true, the Underwoods aren't racist. I'm not sure if I could vote anyone who wants to dismantle social security though.

It's sad that a lot of middle-class citizens are supporting Trump, when they don't realize that he's becoming president for the money.

Written By: 2001 on 03/22/16 at 4:22 pm

It's sad that a lot of middle-class citizens are supporting Trump, when they don't realize that he's becoming president for the money.

I thought it was mostly low-income, poorly educated whites supporting him.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/22/16 at 4:27 pm

I thought it was mostly low-income, poorly educated whites supporting him.

Yeah, but there are also middle class white people supporting his ass. It's a disgrace whenever I think about it.

Written By: 2001 on 03/22/16 at 4:48 pm

Yeah, but there are also middle class white people supporting his ass. It's a disgrace whenever I think about it.

I'm pretty sure he's going to lose, so it doesn't bother me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/22/16 at 5:02 pm

I'm pretty sure he's going to lose, so it doesn't bother me.

I just hope Clinton wins against him.

Written By: philbo on 03/23/16 at 3:46 pm

It's a shame HoC is a Netflix production, and The Newsroom is HBO: wouldn't it be great to have The Newsroom getting a tip-off about Frank Underwood's various shenanigans?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/23/16 at 6:06 pm

It's a shame HoC is a Netflix production, and The Newsroom is HBO: wouldn't it be great to have The Newsroom getting a tip-off about Frank Underwood's various shenanigans?

It's a shame that The Newsroom ended right before Season 3 premiered on House of Cards.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/01/16 at 7:02 pm

I watched the entire original British series-and the ending was rather a let down. I think they HAD to end it that way because they pretty much written themselves in a corner.

I started watching the U.S. series and couldn't get past the first season.

Cat

Written By: philbo on 04/01/16 at 7:25 pm

I watched the entire original British series-and the ending was rather a let down. I think they HAD to end it that way because they pretty much written themselves in a corner.

You might say that.  I couldn't possibly comment.

The book ends the opposite way to the first TV series: in the book, Urquhart throws himself off.  But obviously that would mean no sequel, so I think they decided to turn it on its head

Written By: TheKid99 on 05/19/16 at 7:19 am

I binged watched with my whole family over spring break a month ago. Watched the whole series in 6 days!

One of the greatest shows I have seen, the plots, calculations, SURPRISING MOMENTS(no spoilers, they caught me so off guard I had to watch them again!).

Claire and Frank really remind me of a certain poltical couple, the Clintons.... hmmm.... there are MANY parallels.

Loved this show!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/19/16 at 12:16 pm

I binged watched with my whole family over spring break a month ago. Watched the whole series in 6 days!

One of the greatest shows I have seen, the plots, calculations, SURPRISING MOMENTS(no spoilers, they caught me so off guard I had to watch them again!).

Claire and Frank really remind me of a certain poltical couple, the Clintons.... hmmm.... there are MANY parallels.

Loved this show!

That's even quicker than I watched the entire series. I watched it in about 8-9 days. I couldn't stop watching it because I wanted to know what happens next at the newer seasons. I can't wait for Season 5. It might be more surprising than the fourth season.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/19/17 at 10:29 pm

After reading about all the creepy things that have came out about Kevin Spacey, I'm beginning to think that he wasn't really acting when he played Frank Underwood, he was just playing himself.  :o :o :o

Written By: 2001 on 11/19/17 at 11:50 pm

After reading about all the creepy things that have came out about Kevin Spacey, I'm beginning to think that he wasn't really acting when he played Frank Underwood, he was just playing himself.  :o :o :o

To be honest, that's kind of how I imagined his personality to be in real life.  :o

But I have a habit of doing that with all actors.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/17 at 9:59 am

House Of Cards is returning to production following the sexual harassment and assault allegations made against its star, Kevin Spacey. The hit Netflix show was forced to take a break following the claims and Spacey has now been dropped from the show. Pauline Micelli, senior vice president at the show's studio, Media Rights Capital, recently wrote to staff to say its hiatus was being extended. But production is expected to begin again on 8 December. Netflix previously announced it "will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42135872

Check for new replies or respond here...