inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you guys think of the new Powerpuff Girls reboot?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/26/16 at 8:49 am

So... I just watched the first episode on iTunes, along with watching every new PPG short Cartoon Network uploaded on YouTube. Considering that the show's gonna air on Cartoon Network soon, I thought it would be nice to talk about it with you guys. Especially when most of you are nostalgic for Powerhouse-era Cartoon Network, which was when the original Powerpuff Girls aired.

Subject: Re: What do you guys think of the new Powerpuff Girls reboot?

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/16 at 11:27 am

I'm excited that a new generation will get to enjoy the show. As for me, I don't have cable so I won't be watching it unfortunately. I hope it comes on Netflix one day.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/26/16 at 11:44 am

I'm excited that a new generation will get to enjoy the show. As for me, I don't have cable so I won't be watching it unfortunately. I hope it comes on Netflix one day.

Me too. Even though I'm not keen on today's kids watching cartoons, since some of them (especially modern Nickelodeon) aren't really that memorable. I honestly feel like the new PPG would be better than the old one. I love the art style, voice actors, new characters, and pretty much everything.

Written By: cool123 on 03/26/16 at 1:56 pm

F*ck that s*it its all about the new season of Samurai Jack homeboy.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/26/16 at 2:16 pm

F*ck that s*it its all about the new season of Samurai Jack homeboy.

It's been four months since it's announcement, and yet nobody knows when is it gonna premiere.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/05/16 at 6:38 pm

Well, it's about time that I give my honest opinion on the reboot PPG series! I haven't watched a full episode but I've seen enough short clips on the CN Youtube channel to finally give my opinion on this. Of course, this is coming from someone who grew up watching the original PPG series from a long time ago! Now, first of all, replacing the original voice actors was a big mistake, I'd rather have new voice actors for villains or minor characters than MAJOR characters. I think Blossom's new voice is tolerable but Buttercup and Bubbles' new voices are a huge turnoff. It doesn't fit with me. The good news is that most of original voice cast returned though. As for the show, complain all you want about the girls having iPhones for each of themselves, them taking selfies or posting videos on the internet, or them being in mid-way elementary school now instead of Pokey Oaks Kindergarten, but I think it's pretty clear that this reboot series takes place a few years later after the original series. This series could really be a sequel or time skip. So I think the show staying inundated with the current technology is a good idea.

As for the plots in this series, I don't think it's that special. Even the original Powerpuff Girls series was already declining by seasons 5 & 6, even though as a kid I didn't care about that obviously lol. Seasons 1-4 of the original series had some of the best stories in depth and even dark moments too. The girls' personalities have definitely changed too, they seem to act more girlish, which I don't really like either, but it does represent what happens to girls as they get older and become more sassy rather than being serious when they were Kindergarten aged. Last but not least, I give this show credit for sticking the characters' basic traits to the original series. Like in one of the clips I noticed Buttercup still being scared of spiders, or Blossom still having her ice powers. Glad they didn't mess up on those parts. So to conclude, I think the new PPG reboot will be great for the kids of today watching Cartoon Network, but it's definitely not for me though, and I have my personal reasons. NewYorkEagle I'm glad you're enjoying it though, keep on watching it and supporting it. It's not a "really bad" or "horrible show" show in general, but it's not that great IMO. There are so many flaws I see from my eyes and hear from my ears compared to the original series I grew up with. This new series compared to the original PPG is definitely better than TTGO! compared to the original Teen Titans. At least the PPG reboot tries to be a continuation from the original series, but that's certainly not the case with TTGO.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-powerpuff-girls-20160401-story.html

"We felt like Ms. Bellum wasn't quite indicative of the kind of messaging we wanted to be giving out at this time, so we sort of had her move on," Jennings explained. "And that was a good choice I think on our part."

WHAT!!! No Ms. Bellum!? Kill me now!  :-[  8-P

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/05/16 at 10:30 pm

I didn't even know PPG had been rebooted until I saw an ad for it just yesterday.  :o

I must admit, I was a huge fan of the original cartoon despite being a bit outside of the target demographic as a 13-year-old boy. It was actually one of my favorite shows on Cartoon Network during the Y2K era. I'll have to watch the reboot for myself before deciding if it measures up to the original, though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/06/16 at 3:28 pm

I didn't even know PPG had been rebooted until I saw an ad for it just yesterday.  :o

I must admit, I was a huge fan of the original cartoon despite being a bit outside of the target demographic as a 13-year-old boy. It was actually one of my favorite shows on Cartoon Network during the Y2K era. I'll have to watch the reboot for myself before deciding if it measures up to the original, though.

It seems alright. The animation seems smooth and the episodes are alright.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/08/16 at 6:31 pm

So... I may not be interested towards the 2016 reboot anymore. For one thing, they basically animate the girls as if they're extremely adorable. But not in a way like Hello Kitty, but in a way that attracts sex offenders. I mean, this is what Bubbles looked like in one of the episodes.  :(

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ckcz6GSXAAA2hhh.jpg
btw, the cig isn't real. it's just an edited picture.

I have no freaking idea of what these people were thinking, but it probably has a reason to be cancelled. Maybe after their crossover with the modern Teen Titans, but I digress.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/08/16 at 8:13 pm

I wouldn't expect every original voice actor to be still active since the original. I recall Terra Strong being Bubbles original voice and I definitely wouldn't expect her to be still around now.

I like the long sense of series establishment the reboot give off. Its still creative.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/09/16 at 1:40 pm

I wouldn't expect every original voice actor to be still active since the original. I recall Terra Strong being Bubbles original voice and I definitely wouldn't expect her to be still around now.

I like the long sense of series establishment the reboot give off. Its still creative.

They still have some interesting plots, but it's not as creative as the original show.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/09/16 at 2:02 pm

So... I may not be interested towards the 2016 reboot anymore. For one thing, they basically animate the girls as if they're extremely adorable. But not in a way like Hello Kitty, but in a way that attracts sex offenders. I mean, this is what Bubbles looked like in one of the episodes.  :(

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ckcz6GSXAAA2hhh.jpg
btw, the cig isn't real. it's just an edited picture.

I have no freaking idea of what these people were thinking, but it probably has a reason to be cancelled. Maybe after their crossover with the modern Teen Titans, but I digress.

Eek! That image! I've got two words for it: LOLITA COMPLEX.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/09/16 at 2:08 pm

Eek! That image! I've got two words for it: LOLITA COMPLEX.

Yeah, it looked really awkward for a kids cartoon.  :(

Check for new replies or respond here...