inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Friends

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/18 at 12:27 am

"Friends" is now available to view on Netflix, and at long last I will be able to start watching the 236 episodes.

What are the best episodes (no spoilers please)?

Subject: Re: Friends

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/22/18 at 5:24 am

"Friends" is now available to view on Netflix, and at long last I will be able to start watching the 236 episodes.

"The One Where Rachel Wore a Bra"

Written By: nally on 01/22/18 at 11:59 am

One episode I found funny was "The One With The Cop", from season five.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/18 at 2:52 pm

I am enjoying Marcel, Ross's pet white-headed capuchin monkey .

Written By: nally on 01/22/18 at 3:15 pm

I am enjoying Marcel, Ross's pet white-headed capuchin monkey .

oh yes, I remember the monkey. He appeared from time to time.

Written By: meesa on 01/22/18 at 3:15 pm

The One Where Everybody Finds Out - Season 5

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/18 at 2:46 pm

There is one episode I do remember, it had a running joke through the episode. I struggled at first in trying to recall it, but looking down the list of episodes I have discovered it to be "The One With The Ball", with a baseball (?) been thrown among the cast.

Written By: nally on 02/15/18 at 6:19 pm

There is one episode I do remember, it had a running joke through the episode. I struggled at first in trying to recall it, but looking down the list of episodes I have discovered it to be "The One With The Ball", with a baseball (?) been thrown among the cast.

That one aired in May 1999, near the end of season five. Not sure if I've seen it.

http://friends.wikia.com/wiki/The_One_With_The_Ball

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/18 at 10:08 am

That one aired in May 1999, near the end of season five. Not sure if I've seen it.

http://friends.wikia.com/wiki/The_One_With_The_Ball
...and looking forward to seeing it again!

Written By: whistledog on 07/02/18 at 3:01 pm

The one where Jeff Goldblum guest starred was funny

Written By: 2001 on 07/02/18 at 3:14 pm

The one with all the Thanksgivings.

Written By: nally on 07/02/18 at 3:21 pm

The episode right after this one, "The One With Rachel's Inadvertent Kiss", was another one I enjoyed watching. The main plot involves Rachel unwittingly giving her job interviewer a kiss (and later admitting her mistake, showing she's serious about working). The two B-plots involved (1) Monica and Chandler trying to prove they're a hotter couple than Pheobe and Gary (an officer she began dating in the previous episode)... and (2) Joey noticing an attractive woman in Ross's building (referring to her as "Hot Girl"), so he tries to find her place by counting doors but comes to Ross's apartment each time; Monica points out Joey's mistake to him, so when he goes to the correct apartment, Ross answers the door again (after he met the woman and agreed to go on a date with her), leading Joey to assume he goofed yet again!

Written By: Criz on 09/28/19 at 1:23 pm

I'm bringing this back to life as it was recently the 25th anniversary of Friends first airing on NBC. I was a massive fan of it when I was a teenager. I still enjoy watching it but I can't say it's one of the best sitcoms ever. The nostalgia factor still has a big pull for me - but there are certain episodes that are still very good.

The Guardian recently compiled this list - it's very Ross heavy which I love because Ross gets an awful lot of criticism online! I completely agree with no 1 :)

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/sep/23/friends-at-25-the-best-episodes

Written By: Howard on 09/28/19 at 2:34 pm

I'm bringing this back to life as it was recently the 25th anniversary of Friends first airing on NBC. I was a massive fan of it when I was a teenager. I still enjoy watching it but I can't say it's one of the best sitcoms ever. The nostalgia factor still has a big pull for me - but there are certain episodes that are still very good.

The Guardian recently compiled this list - it's very Ross heavy which I love because Ross gets an awful lot of criticism online! I completely agree with no 1 :)

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/sep/23/friends-at-25-the-best-episodes

I still watch it during the morning hours, I don't remember what my favorite episode is.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/19 at 6:16 am

We are still watching the episodes (in order) and I think we are in series 7 at the moment.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/29/19 at 6:52 am

The one where Rachel actually wore a bra.

Written By: Criz on 09/29/19 at 1:55 pm

We are still watching the episodes (in order) and I think we are in series 7 at the moment.

What's the last one you watched? Have you noticed a dip in quality?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/19 at 1:56 pm

What's the last one you watched? Have you noticed a dip in quality?
We definitely saw the two part proposal at the end of the series.

Please no spoilers.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/19 at 2:08 pm

The one where Rachel actually wore a bra.

What episode was that from?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/29/19 at 2:45 pm

What episode was that from?

I cannot recall. But it was memorable because it was the only episode where she wore a bra.  ;D

Written By: Criz on 09/29/19 at 2:48 pm

We definitely saw the two part proposal at the end of the series.

Please no spoilers.

Don't worry - I won't spoil anything! Although for a show that finished in 2003 surely you've heard some spoilers!?! :D :D

Chandler's weight loss is pretty dramatic going from the end of season 6 to the first in 7. I remember binge watching them not long ago in sequence and it was striking to see that change.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/19 at 2:50 pm

Don't worry - I won't spoil anything! Although for a show that finished in 2003 surely you've heard some spoilers!?! :D :D
I have heard rumours, and paying no attention to them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/19 at 2:58 pm

Chandler's weight loss is pretty dramatic going from the end of season 6 to the first in 7. I remember binge watching them not long ago in sequence and it was striking to see that change.
I will re-check that out.

Written By: Howard on 09/30/19 at 5:35 am

I cannot recall. But it was memorable because it was the only episode where she wore a bra.  ;D

There's one where they went into a museum.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/30/19 at 10:23 am

There's one where they went into a museum.

Yeah, isn’t that the one where Rachel’s boyfriend spilled a juice box? ???

Written By: Criz on 09/30/19 at 11:28 am

Yeah, isn’t that the one where Rachel’s boyfriend spilled a juice box? ???

I remember reading that at the time, the network didn't get the joke when they read the script, so the writers were shocked when they let them go ahead with it!

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/30/19 at 6:52 pm

I remember reading that at the time, the network didn't get the joke when they read the script, so the writers were shocked when they let them go ahead with it!

;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/01/19 at 7:25 am

https://www.lifewire.com/thmb/hscG6lGOZeu4SFqvOqtE0C_2XZs=/837x640/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/BFF27-5ac2f4b38023b9003671cb46.jpg

Subject: Friends to reunite for one-off special on HBO Max

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/20 at 4:42 am

The cast of Friends is to reunite for a one-off special, more than 15 years since the show ended. The unscripted episode will air on the HBO Max streaming service, launching in May. A date is yet to be announced. Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer will all appear. Perry posted on Instagram: "It's happening" with a photo of the cast from the 1990s. The rest of the cast then started sharing the same post.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51590988

I will have to catch up on finishing all the episodes to view this!

Written By: karen on 02/25/20 at 2:47 pm

https://www.lifewire.com/thmb/hscG6lGOZeu4SFqvOqtE0C_2XZs=/837x640/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/BFF27-5ac2f4b38023b9003671cb46.jpg

My son and I did exactly this towards each other yesterday when calling out answers to a quiz show

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/20 at 2:58 pm

My son and I did exactly this towards each other yesterday when calling out answers to a quiz show
I try and practice that with my son.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/20 at 4:25 am

The cast of Friends is to reunite for a one-off special, more than 15 years since the show ended. The unscripted episode will air on the HBO Max streaming service, launching in May. A date is yet to be announced. Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer will all appear. Perry posted on Instagram: "It's happening" with a photo of the cast from the 1990s. The rest of the cast then started sharing the same post.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51590988

I will have to catch up on finishing all the episodes to view this!
The latest is that this reunion has been on hold due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/20 at 2:03 am

Just to say how much I enjoyed the appearances of Brad Pitt and Alec Baldwin in the recent episodes I have watched.

Written By: nally on 10/20/21 at 11:10 pm

The episode right after this one, "The One With Rachel's Inadvertent Kiss", was another one I enjoyed watching. The main plot involves Rachel unwittingly giving her job interviewer a kiss (and later admitting her mistake, showing she's serious about working). The two B-plots involved (1) Monica and Chandler trying to prove they're a hotter couple than Pheobe and Gary (an officer she began dating in the previous episode)... and (2) Joey noticing an attractive woman in Ross's building (referring to her as "Hot Girl"), so he tries to find her place by counting doors but comes to Ross's apartment each time; Monica points out Joey's mistake to him, so when he goes to the correct apartment, Ross answers the door again (after he met the woman and agreed to go on a date with her), leading Joey to assume he goofed yet again!

Clips from the B-plot:

0IHvShTwnic JX1yOFO6npU

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/21 at 1:31 pm

Friends is one of those shows I find I can watch over and over again even if I've seen the episode a hundred times already.
I find though that sometimes it's rough going back to the first season because the characters were so under developed compared to what became of them in later seasons (Joey's hairstyle for example)

As the show went on, so much changed, that older episodes have plot holes and errors.  Here's a few examples:

In the first episode, Rachel shows up and Monica introduces her to everyone including Chandler.  But why would she need to be introduced to Chandler?  In later episodes, we learn that not only did she know him back in the 80s, she made out with him at a college party

In a second season episode, the gang watches an old video and sees Monica fat for the first time.  The look on Chandler's face indicates he'd never seen that before, yet in later episodes, we learn that not only did he know her when she was fat, her jokes at her weight were the reason she became thin, and her attempt to get back at him was the reason he lost his pinky toe

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/29/21 at 3:41 pm

In the first season of M*A*S*H, Hawkeye Pierce said he was from Vermont. In the rest oft he seasons he was from Crabapple Cove, Maine.

Written By: Contigo on 10/29/21 at 4:05 pm

In the first season of M*A*S*H, Hawkeye Pierce said he was from Vermont. In the rest oft he seasons he was from Crabapple Cove, Maine.

Vermont , hmm I didn't know that .
The show went through quite a few cast changes
(Blake / Potter , Trapper/BJ, Frank/Charles and Radar leaving)
It remained good throughout , changing from a silly and good comedy to a comedy / drama. Yeah I enjoyed it a lot .

Written By: violet_shy on 10/29/21 at 4:54 pm

Vermont , hmm I didn't know that .
The show went through quite a few cast changes
(Blake / Potter , Trapper/BJ, Frank/Charles and Radar leaving)
It remained good throughout , changing from a silly and good comedy to a comedy / drama. Yeah I enjoyed it a lot .

I just have to ask....was MASH a good show and what was it about? Because I remember growing up my mother would watch her sitcoms and whenever MASH was on everyone would get bored. Lol. My mother would watch some of it. I think it was the theme song that made it sound boring. But I wouldn't know because I was only 5 or 6.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/29/21 at 4:59 pm

I just have to ask....was MASH a good show and what was it about? Because I remember growing up my mother would watch her sitcoms and whenever MASH was on everyone would get bored. Lol. My mother would watch some of it. I think it was the theme song that made it sound boring. But I wouldn't know because I was only 5 or 6.

The short answer is it was a show about the Vietnam War under the guise of being about the Korean War. And YES it was a good show. And has about 50 Emmy awards  to prove it. Not to mention the series finale being the most watched show in history.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/29/21 at 5:57 pm

The short answer is it was a show about the Vietnam War under the guise of being about the Korean War. And YES it was a good show. And has about 50 Emmy awards  to prove it. Not to mention the series finale being the most watched show in history.

Korean War.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/29/21 at 6:02 pm

Korean War.

Read what I said again. "The short answer is it was a show about the Vietnam War under the guise of being about the Korean War."

"Like the movie, the series was as much an allegory about the Vietnam War (still in progress when the show began) as it was about the Korean War"
-Wikipedia

Written By: violet_shy on 10/29/21 at 7:35 pm

I did not know this. I know it's an old show, but I'm curious and I might watch some of it. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/02/21 at 12:31 pm

....adapted from the 1970 feature film M*A*S*H, which, in turn, was based on Richard Hooker's 1968 novel MASH: A Novel About Three Army Doctors.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/02/21 at 4:10 pm

I did not know this. I know it's an old show, but I'm curious and I might watch some of it. ;D

Do watch M*A*S*H - it's outstanding!  But be warned, it's addictive  ;)

I personally prefer the later seasons with Charles instead of Frank, but all the seasons are good.  I did particularly enjoy Frank's character during his last season.  The way they wrote out his character was a doozy!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/02/21 at 9:45 pm

Another thing about the Vietnam inference. The actual name Vietnam was only mentioned in the series two or three times, and always the M*A*S*H staff looked puzzled, like "what is that?". A definite wink to the audience. The most obvious was in the legendary final episode, as the Korean Conflict is about to end for good and a news report comes on the radio that there is trouble brewing in the small country of Vietnam. One of the doctors says "Vietnam? Where the hell is that?" or some such and everybody kind of shrugs. That was the biggest "wink" of them all and a perfect moment as they were wrapping the series up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/03/21 at 1:14 am

Do watch M*A*S*H - it's outstanding!  But be warned, it's addictive  ;)

I personally prefer the later seasons with Charles instead of Frank, but all the seasons are good.  I did particularly enjoy Frank's character during his last season.  The way they wrote out his character was a doozy!

From the episodes I have seen, my favourite character is Corporal Klinger.

Written By: whistledog on 11/03/21 at 4:26 am

When M*A*S*H ended, it had one spin-off that ran 2 seasons (1983-1984) called AfterMASH which focused on Klinger, Colonel Potter and Father Mulcahy after they left the war and began civilian life.  There was a pilot that aired in 1984 called W*A*L*T*E*R that focused on Radar becoming a Police Officer in Missouri

There was also the long running Trapper John M.D. (1979-1986), but it is considered a spin-off from the film M*A*S*H, though in the pilot episode, there is a picture on Trapper's office wall that shows a young Trapper with Hawkeye that appears to be Wayne Rogers and Alan Alda

Check for new replies or respond here...