inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Black Mirror

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/19 at 2:14 pm

Black Mirror is a British television series created by Charlie Brooker. The series is produced by Zeppotron for Endemol. Regarding the programme's content and structure, Brooker noted, "each episode has a different cast, a different setting, and even a different reality. But they're all about the way we live now; and the way we might be living in 10 minutes' time if we're clumsy."

Please without spoilers, did you like it?

Subject: Re: Black Mirror

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/19 at 12:32 pm

We watched one & a half eps and that was enough for us. We started watching it because Carlos' doc recommended it. Nope, didn't like it at all.

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 06/12/19 at 12:33 pm

One of my friends is really into this and I've been thinking about watching it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/19 at 1:08 pm

We watched one & a half eps and that was enough for us. We started watching it because Carlos' doc recommended it. Nope, didn't like it at all.

Cat
It does an acquired taste is need, also I think a pure understanding of the ethics of the British race.

One of my friends is really into this and I've been thinking about watching it.
After watching the 3 episodes of the first series I am hooked.

Written By: 2001 on 06/16/19 at 8:44 pm

I watched the first episode and I was bored out of my mind. I don't think I've ever used the "skip 10 seconds ahead" button in my life until now ;D

Maybe I'm not entertained by the concept since I've played billions of video games like it before, and this one is particularly poorly done in my opinion. It's like there are a million bad endings for every good one, in video games there can be multiple good endings.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 06/18/19 at 6:57 pm

I watched the first episode and I was bored out of my mind. I don't think I've ever used the "skip 10 seconds ahead" button in my life until now ;D

Maybe I'm not entertained by the concept since I've played billions of video games like it before, and this one is particularly poorly done in my opinion. It's like there are a million bad endings for every good one, in video games there can be multiple good endings.

After Game of Thrones at its best, you just can't go back to normal TV. Like I was able to enjoy Chernobyl, but GoT was on another plane of reality. All future literary relationships for me (this includes books, TV, movies etc. - anything based on storytelling) will be measured against Game of Thrones, like that lover who jilted me, though we started off beautifully, and now everyone who comes after is in their shadow.

Written By: 2001 on 06/18/19 at 8:42 pm

After Game of Thrones at its best, you just can't go back to normal TV. Like I was able to enjoy Chernobyl, but GoT was on another plane of reality. All future literary relationships for me (this includes books, TV, movies etc. - anything based on storytelling) will be measured against Game of Thrones, like that lover who jilted me, though we started off beautifully, and now everyone who comes after is in their shadow.

I don't think I can use that excuse on myself since I read the books first, and then started watching GoT from Season 6 when it had already lost some of its sheen :P The production values were still out of this world though.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 06/18/19 at 8:59 pm

I don't think I can use that excuse on myself since I read the books first, and then started watching GoT from Season 6 when it had already lost some of its sheen :P The production values were still out of this world though.

How did you not start watching until season 6 when you had read the books?

I read A Game of Thrones in 1999 but then got obsessed with academic and college matters and fiction reading fell by the wayside since then. I'm meaning to finish the book series since I've become so obsessed with that world.

Written By: 2001 on 06/19/19 at 5:32 pm

How did you not start watching until season 6 when you had read the books?

I read A Game of Thrones in 1999 but then got obsessed with academic and college matters and fiction reading fell by the wayside since then. I'm meaning to finish the book series since I've become so obsessed with that world.

I read the books in 2013 during a loooooong hospital stay. I didn't get into the show until it got past where the books were at.

You should definitely read the books! He is a masterclass writer. I read out some passages to my friends, and that's when I realized a lot of the book reads like poetry even though it is storytelling.

Although since you already know what's going to happen, I'm not sure how entertaining it would be :P

Speaking of Game off Thrones and multiple bad/good endings, if you are obsessed with Game of Thrones and already know the story, I recommend playing the Game of Thrones video game made by Telltale Studios. It's a real thriller!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/19 at 6:17 am

I have seen more episodes, and the most frightening one yet is a more real to life "Shut Up and Dance"

Written By: 2001 on 07/02/19 at 6:33 am

I have seen more episodes, and the most frightening one yet is a more real to life "Shut Up and Dance"

I realized yesterday that I didn't watch Black Mirror proper but a spin-off episode called Black Mirror: Bandersnatch. I'm going to give the TV show another try.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/19 at 6:40 am

I realized yesterday that I didn't watch Black Mirror proper but a spin-off episode called Black Mirror: Bandersnatch. I'm going to give the TV show another try.
Please do, we are keeping "Bandersnatch" for the last episode to be watched.

Written By: rapplepop on 09/01/19 at 1:58 am

I love Black Mirror. I think Fifteen Million Merits is my favorite episode.

Catwoman, if the first episode you watched was the one with the prime minister and the pig, that might have turned you off from the entire series lol. You should check out San Junipero - it's not dark and gross and is actually a fantastic and unconventional love story if you're into that kinda thing.

Written By: Criz on 09/25/19 at 2:45 pm

Love LOVE this show.

Not every episode is amazing - but the anthology aspect is so great that you can have firm favourites, average episodes and even ones that slightly miss the mark.

San Junipero is my favourite but I also love The Entire History of You, White Christmas, Fifteen Million Merits, Be Right Back, Striking Vipers and Hang The DJ.

Bandersnatch is a phenomenal concept and I enjoyed it because I'm a child of the 80s who grew up consuming 6 CYOA books every Saturday when I could go to the library with my dad - but it isn't the best episode.

I seriously love Charlie Brooker. I wish he would make more Newswipe/Screenwipe!

PS - I used to teach Black Mirror back when we were actually allowed to choose our syllabus  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/19 at 2:45 am

Love LOVE this show.

Not every episode is amazing - but the anthology aspect is so great that you can have firm favourites, average episodes and even ones that slightly miss the mark.

San Junipero is my favourite but I also love The Entire History of You, White Christmas, Fifteen Million Merits, Be Right Back, Striking Vipers and Hang The DJ.

Bandersnatch is a phenomenal concept and I enjoyed it because I'm a child of the 80s who grew up consuming 6 CYOA books every Saturday when I could go to the library with my dad - but it isn't the best episode.

I seriously love Charlie Brooker. I wish he would make more Newswipe/Screenwipe!

PS - I used to teach Black Mirror back when we were actually allowed to choose our syllabus  :(
O0

I now have time to watch more episodes, but currently struck down with flu will make my concentration for the programs hard.

Written By: rapplepop on 09/26/19 at 4:51 am

Love LOVE this show.

I think we pretty much have all the same favorite episodes!

Written By: Criz on 09/26/19 at 1:47 pm

I think we pretty much have all the same favorite episodes!

Well, you've got great taste ;)

O0

I now have time to watch more episodes, but currently struck down with flu will make my concentration for the programs hard.

Aw no - get well soon! Definitely save them for when you're brain is in full gear as you'll pick up on more Easter eggs throughout the series.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/20 at 2:01 am

Please do, we are keeping "Bandersnatch" for the last episode to be watched.
We finally got to see"Bandersnatch" over the weekend, we enjoyed the concept of the program of an interactive film.

Written By: 2001 on 05/05/20 at 5:32 pm

We finally got to see"Bandersnatch" over the weekend, we enjoyed the concept of the program of an interactive film.

How long did it take you to get to the "real" ending? I think after 2 hours of trying I gave up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/20 at 3:22 am

How long did it take you to get to the "real" ending? I think after 2 hours of trying I gave up.
At the time of viewing "Bandersnatch" was getting late at night, I think we saw over 1½ hours, and through learning and remembering when returning to an asked option, we could see a quicker route to the end, and what we saw seemed to draw a conclusion. Soon, I will watch it again to check out what would bring a quicker end of the program. On research, there is over 5½ hours of footage to watch.

Written By: Criz on 05/07/20 at 3:05 pm

I loved it - and I also went and watched every single outcome. It's a brilliant piece of televsion, regardless of it not being the best Black mirror narrative wise.

I don't think there is a 'real' ending just multiple satisfying or unsatisfying ones!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/20 at 3:09 pm

I loved it - and I also went and watched every single outcome. It's a brilliant piece of televsion, regardless of it not being the best Black mirror narrative wise.

I don't think there is a 'real' ending just multiple satisfying or unsatisfying ones!

Soon, I will watch it again to check out what would bring a quicker end of the program.

If I was not recording something else on the television ( I can only do one thing on the television at a time), I would be watching "Hang The DJ".

Written By: Criz on 05/11/20 at 12:58 pm

If I was not recording something else on the television ( I can only do one thing on the television at a time), I would be watching "Hang The DJ".

Hang The DJ is probably my second favourite episode.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/20 at 3:54 pm

Hang The DJ is probably my second favourite episode.
I found it an interesting concept, it reminded of a couple of films.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/20 at 1:03 am

Yesterday I got to finally finish watching all BM episodes, with the last one being "Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too", a very curious episode which starred Miley Cyrus, and be pure coincidence it was her birthday too.

Written By: AcoBrasil on 09/22/21 at 3:49 pm

Great series.  I am a big fan of rdystopian scify like this that addresses real issues.  I really liked the theme of how AI duplicates  could be enslaved and abused which ran through several of the episodes.

You should also try Electric Dreams on Prime - based on Philip Dick works.  Not as good as BM but worth the watch.

I am also a big fan of Tales from the Loop on Prome. Which has a beautiful early 80s setting.

Of course both of those were cancelled after season 1....

Check for new replies or respond here...