inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Little Britain pulled from iPlayer and Netflix because 'times have changed'

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/20 at 1:53 am

Little Britain has been removed from BBC iPlayer, Netflix and BritBox as objections resurfaced to some of the sketch show's characters. Netflix pulled the Matt Lucas and David Walliams series on Friday, along with their other comedy Come Fly With Me. The BBC and Britbox took Little Britain off on Monday. Both outlets said "times have changed" since it first aired. Both shows include scenes where the comedians portray characters from different ethnic backgrounds. "There's a lot of historical programming available on BBC iPlayer, which we regularly review," a BBC spokesperson said. "Times have changed since Little Britain first aired so it is not currently available on BBC iPlayer."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52983319

Subject: Re: Little Britain pulled from iPlayer and Netflix because 'times have changed'

Written By: 2001 on 06/10/20 at 4:49 pm

What?! This was one of my favourite shows in the 2000s.  :-\\

Ah well, at least I got to watch it before it was wiped from history :P

Subject: Re: Little Britain pulled from iPlayer and Netflix because 'times have changed'

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/12/20 at 8:25 am

Mine too. I don’t think it’s aged particularly well but it was funny at the time.

Luckily I have it on DVD.

Written By: aja675 on 06/12/20 at 8:35 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jun/11/four-chris-lilley-shows-removed-from-netflix-australia-library

"Summer Heights High, Angry Boys, We Can be Heroes, and Jonah from Tonga have disappeared from the platform.''

BTW, the first show is the source of drama.gif.  ;D

https://i.gifer.com/DZsi.gif

Written By: wixness on 06/12/20 at 8:45 pm

I will say that at least it's been taken down in response to changing social circumstances - better than giving no reason at all for taking something down (usually due to complicated and opaque licensing agreements).

Usually when something is taken down from a streaming service, no explanation is given. This one isn't a big loss for me since comedy can become stale quite quick. Apparently the show has had blackface sketches which is a real issue.

Check for new replies or respond here...