inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Latest Fad “This Product May Soon Be Discontinued”

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/23 at 9:18 am

Anybody else notice this?  Lately TV ads hawking various products, towards the end of the add, have a voice-over dude who comes on and says “Alert! Due to supply chain issues, production of {product name} may soon be discontinued. Place your order while you still can!”

What a crock. ::)

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/bUtZ/ruby-sliders-get-floor-marks

Subject: Re: Latest Fad “This Product May Soon Be Discontinued”

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/14/23 at 10:26 am

I noticed.  So gimmicky.  ::)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/14/23 at 1:05 pm

But honestly, one form or another of this scam has been going on for years. This is the newest variation. It usually manifests itself in the intentional shortage of an item to create a demand. One of the earliest and most successful of this unethical practice was the Cabbage Patch Doll craze of the 80s. The company made the doll somewhat hard to get, so people were going crazy for them and paying ridiculous prices. Fights were breaking out among mothers and housewives in toy stores and department stores. The Coleco Company sat back and laughed all the way to the bank. In more recent years this scam is pulled with electronics like the X Box and Nintendo Wii. And it's always right near Christmas and there's always never enough. It still happens with toys too. The Elmo doll was a repeat of the Cabbage Patch hysteria. There is a certain demographic of sheeplike people. if they can't have it, they want it. They don't realize they are being controlled.

The "soon to be discontinued" scam is one of the cheesier variations of this unethical practice.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/23 at 3:25 pm

I noticed it. But, you should be able to get all of these products at yard sales-CHEAP!

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/15/23 at 3:29 pm

I noticed it. But, you should be able to get all of these products at yard sales-CHEAP!

Cat

I bought a set of the “Ruby Sliders” for my kitchen chairs at a local department store. They work very well! Fortunately I got them before they “went out of production”.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/23 at 6:22 pm

I bought a set of the “Ruby Sliders” for my kitchen chairs at a local department store. They work very well! Fortunately I got them before they “went out of production”.  ;D

Whenever I see that commercial, they remind me of condoms.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/17/23 at 6:46 pm

Anybody else notice this?  Lately TV ads hawking various products, towards the end of the add, have a voice-over dude who comes on and says “Alert! Due to supply chain issues, production of {product name} may soon be discontinued. Place your order while you still can!”

What a crock. ::)

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/bUtZ/ruby-sliders-get-floor-marks

That, and "going out of business" sales. There was a furniture store in this small town about 40 miles southwest of Lincoln that I swear was "going out of business" for 5 years. After a while everyone was like "just freakin' close already."  ::) ::) ::)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/17/23 at 6:56 pm

That, and "going out of business" sales. There was a furniture store in this small town about 40 miles southwest of Lincoln that I swear was "going out of business" for 5 years. After a while everyone was like "just freakin' close already."  ::) ::) ::)

Like bands that go on endless "farewell tours". The Who have been on a "farewell tour" since about 1989. Cher isn't far behind.  ;D  ;D

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 01/22/23 at 5:06 am

Yeah.  Artificial scarcity & demand has been around for centuries.  Think De Beers diamonds.  Think planned obsolescence by auto manufacturers a century ago.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/22/23 at 7:37 am

Like bands that go on endless "farewell tours". The Who have been on a "farewell tour" since about 1989.

Well Keith Moon and John Entwistle completed their farewell tours decades ago.  :-\\

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/22/23 at 10:18 am

Yeah.  Artificial scarcity & demand has been around for centuries.  Think De Beers diamonds.  Think planned obsolescence by auto manufacturers a century ago.

Artificial demand and planned obsolescence are two different concepts, although both are equally immoral. Artificial demand is when a manufacturer deliberately releases a small amount of a product that is otherwise easily mass produced to create a demand. Planned obsolescence is when a product is specifically designed to break down after a certain period of time. This reached it's zenith with today's electronics which very specifically are designed to last a short time or otherwise become obsolete. It's why the annoying Bill Gates is one of the richest people in the world. Apple, too, pulls this trick all the time. It's despicable.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/22/23 at 11:18 am

Apple, too, pulls this trick all the time. It's despicable.

My iPhone 6 is still going strong after 8 years.  8)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/22/23 at 12:16 pm

I meant to say with Apple it's a psychological trick. They introduce a "new" iPhone or iWhatever every two minutes, essentially rendering the earlier one obsolete, when there is absolutely nothing wrong with the earlier one. But thy eventually stop supporting it and you are ultimately forced to by a new one. In fact the "new" item is often inferior to the previous one. But the Apple zombie fans out there feel they absolutely MUST have the new one, and even wait in long lines for it and pay large sums of money. All this gives the Silicon Valley dudebros something to do. They're basically useless otherwise.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/23 at 2:06 pm

And how do you like it?

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/22/23 at 4:20 pm

And how do you like it?

It gets the job done. I can make phone calls and send emails.  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/23 at 4:22 pm

It gets the job done. I can make phone calls and send emails.  8)

Do you post on a certain message board with it?

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/22/23 at 6:26 pm

Do you post on a certain message board with it?

Cat

I usually post using my iPad Pro. I got it for free from frequent flier points.  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...