inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Good Cup of Joe

Written By: danootaandme on 12/04/05 at 6:18 am

Can anyone here give me tips on making a good cup of coffee?  My coffee is ok, but inconsistent
  :-[

Subject: Re: Good Cup of Joe

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/04/05 at 7:07 am

Um...I guess it depends on how much effort and money you wanna put into making a cup of coffee.

But here is a webpage amongst many that has some advice.
http://www.thimkpad.com/archives/2005/08/how_to_make_a_g.html

The only tips I personally can offer is:

Experiment with coffee portion, when you find one you like, try to aim for that the next time.

I don't drink alot of coffee, but I did find a shop that sells fresh ground flavored coffee and it's great. 

My parents put a dash of salt into their coffee grounds before putting water through the filter...why?  I dunno, it just tastes better.  I've heard of people putting cigarette ashes in too, but I can only imagine that would make it bitter and yucky.  I have no desire to try that one out.  (I don't smoke anyways)

I use a double coffee filter because I hate grounds in my coffee (I feel like breaking into song (Carly Simon - You're so vain)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/04/05 at 9:55 am

Thanks,  I only drink one or maybe two a day, but I like it and really want a good cup.  Makes
my whole day.(maybe I should re-examine that)    :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/04/05 at 12:53 pm

I drink 2 mugs 6 days a week and 3 on Sundays.  I use a gavelia coffee maker.  I like high test, so I use Cafe Caribe, Bustelo, El Pico, or Goya expresso.  I use 2 measures (teaspoons) for each mug.  Start with cold water.  It comes out great every time.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/04/05 at 5:19 pm

Um...I guess it depends on how much effort and money you wanna put into making a cup of coffee.

The only tips I personally can offer is:

Experiment with coffee portion, when you find one you like, try to aim for that the next time.

I don't drink alot of coffee, but I did find a shop that sells fresh ground flavored coffee and it's great. 

My parents put a dash of salt into their coffee grounds before putting water through the filter...why?  I dunno, it just tastes better.  I've heard of people putting cigarette ashes in too, but I can only imagine that would make it bitter and yucky.  I have no desire to try that one out.  (I don't smoke anyways)

I use a double coffee filter because I hate grounds in my coffee (I feel like breaking into song (Carly Simon - You're so vain)
I shall try this! (not the salt or cigarette ash, this: http://www.thimkpad.com/archives/2005/08/how_to_make_a_g.html)

I have a pretty cheap coffee maker. Not the best, but it beats instant coffee.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/04/05 at 6:00 pm

I have heard of the cigarette ash thing, my mother would do it on occasion.  I have also heard of putting
eggshells in with the grounds.  A friend of mine said cinnamon was good to take out acidity, but I don't like flavored coffee, and I figure it is better to just get a coffee with lower acidity.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/05/05 at 6:09 am

I'm all for a good pot cup of coffee a day too and I think mine's pretty darned good.  First and foremost, use good coffee.  Nothing is worse than coffee made with the cheapest stuff on the shelf (trust me, I have 10 years of experience drinking my MIL's "dirty water" :P)  I use 3 scoops for a full pot and usually buy the dark roast because it seems to be easier to adjust the strength without it getting acidic.  I would buy the small packages of different brands to "try" and have narrowed it down to just a few (unless I buy the "specialty store" brands i.e. Starbuck's, Gloria Jean's, or a local store's own blend).  You also want to make sure the coffee maker is clean (nothing makes coffee taste more acidic than a dirty pot) and the water is good.  I have a coffee maker with a water filter which I make sure to change often as our water here SUCKS!  Another thing I've found is that the brown paper filters seem to make better coffee and they don't cost any more than the white ???

And here I am with the extra large pack of on sale white filters.  I do know that the number one cause of
a bad cup of coffee is a dirty pot.  I rinse mine out with vinegar water.  I probably could use a new water
filter,  The water here is bad and I have a whole house filter as well as a water filter on the faucet.  It may be worth my while to use bottled water for my coffee.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/05/05 at 6:20 am

I have heard of the cigarette ash thing, my mother would do it on occasion.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/05/05 at 11:16 am

I love the way my coffee turns out...

I like strong, flavorful coffee...so for that reason I buy the beans and grind them (fine) myself...

For one mug, I normally use about 2 3/4 rounded scoops for 2 cups of water...and it's enough to keep me going all day!  :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/05/05 at 11:44 am

Yeah, it helps when the beans are grown locally....I had the BEST coffee when I was on Kauai.....at the "Plantation" ;)

To be honest, I don't drink much coffee that's made our locally grown beans...I save that for 'treats'!  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/05/05 at 2:39 pm

What I've done when our water gets REALLY bad is just boil it and store it in an empty gallon water jug (don't use milk jugs because no matter HOW MUCH you clean them, there's still a milky residue).  Do you just rinse the pot or run the vinegar through the cycle?  It stinks to high heaven, but if you run it through the cycle, then follow with 1-2 cycles of water, it cleans out all the gunk inside :)

I run it through a couple of times, then do it with fresh water to make sure the vinegar is out.  About the eggshells in the garden, always do that.  When I was growing up my father always had a garden, it
was his way of staying out of the house, but everything but meat and meat by products were put in a
paper bag and buried in a corner of the garden. Coffee grounds were always thrown around, it works
on houseplants, too.  For more tips like this you should check out Jerry Baker.  He did a couple of shows
on PBS, and has a lot of household remedies for improving plants and gardens,  and as crazy as some sound, they all work  ;)

www.jerrybaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=2

Written By: Apricot on 12/05/05 at 3:37 pm

My parents just get Maxwell House and go by the box.. my teacher used to make it so thick it was basically moist sand.. mostly dry, though.  :P

Written By: Howard on 12/05/05 at 3:42 pm

I drink coffee.Sometimes my coffee is too dark so I lighten it with Coffee Creamer.

Written By: Tam on 06/09/06 at 10:01 am

My parents for years have always drank Taster's Choice by Nescafe.

I don't know if it is only available in Canada - but it sure smells good when it's brewing.

I am not a coffee drinker - but I am sure others know how else to make a good cup of Joe.
So I revived this thread!

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/09/06 at 10:16 am

I like Cajun coffee. :)

Kenyan and Colombian are good too.

Written By: Rex on 06/09/06 at 12:47 pm

I have found that a pinch (a small pinch) of cinnamon in cheap coffee makes it much better without "flavoring" the coffee too much. But I really enjoy good coffee and my current favorite is the plaza blend from The Cultured Cup

Written By: Dagwood on 06/09/06 at 7:58 pm

I just bought some at Sam's Club.  It is a Brazilian breakfast blend.  Delicious.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/09/06 at 8:24 pm

I use the same method as CeramicsFanatic. I buy whole beans and grind them myself with a grinder I bought from Starbucks, however I prefer to buy whole beans from Peets coffee (the best in Northern, Ca.) It costs me about $10-14 per lb but it's worth it because the brew is so flavorful. You can buy lesser expensive and still have a tasty cup of joe. I use a coffee scoop that holds 2oz of ground coffee, but I make it a heaping scoop because i like it a little bit strong and dark. I use about 12oz of cold water, preferably bottled, but tap will do, per scoop. I use paper filters brown or white. I've heard that rinsing them first helps, but i don't do that. So basically it's 1oz (1tablespoon)coffee to about 6oz water. You can buy it already ground if it's too much trouble, but I make enough every morning like Don Carlos for 2-3 big cups. I recommend you buy the good stuff because it does tastes better. No offense to any previous posts, but i would not add anything like ashes, shells, or whatever to my precious coffee beans, but each to their own. If you get the hang of it, the wonderful cup of joe should provide all the flavor and enjoyment you desire. My 2-3 cups of coffee every morning have to be good or I'm gonna be grumpy  >:(   Once you get the right formula, you will totally look forward to that first cup in the morning.   good luck

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/10/06 at 7:35 am

Anyone else like the different-flavored coffee creamers(from Coffee mate)? ???

My favorite is Toasted Almond.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/10/06 at 10:01 am

French Vanilla is my fave

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/10/06 at 10:05 am

[quote author=

Written By: CeeKay on 06/10/06 at 10:53 am

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/10/06 at 11:41 am

I know what you mean, CeeKay, it is that one brand thats so good.  I'm the same way about the fat content.  Also I put sugar in my coffee not Splenda, its just a teaspoon so you might as well get the real thing.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/10/06 at 12:19 pm

[quote author=

Written By: gemini on 06/11/06 at 4:14 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/11/06 at 9:44 pm

I like French Vanilla and Hazelnut.  After using flavored creamers, I can't stand to drink it with just plain creamer anymore.

Same here.  I had breakfast at McDonald's this morning and I noticed how bad the coffee tasted to me with regular creamer.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/12/06 at 11:42 pm

The best cup of coffee is one that has been perked.  But who has time for that?

I like my coffee strong and black, I usually use Folgers Dark Roast.  Sometimes I'll splurge and by the expensive stuff...anything other than Starbucks.  Hate Starbucks, tastes burned to me.

I usually brew an entire pot, 12 cups.  I add one rounded tablespoon for every two cups and then an extra tablespoon.  So that would be 8 spoonfuls.

Written By: CeeKay on 06/13/06 at 8:46 am

[quote author=

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/15/06 at 4:10 pm

Hopefully I won't be kicked out of this thread for not mentioning coffee, but I had (the other day) a cup of hot tea from the Maxwell House brand of tea.  I loved the flavor of it.  Anybody tried this brand of tea?

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 06/15/06 at 4:15 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Tam on 06/15/06 at 4:46 pm

Hopefully I won't be kicked out of this thread for not mentioning coffee, but I had (the other day) a cup of hot tea from the Maxwell House brand of tea.  I loved the flavor of it.  Anybody tried this brand of tea?

You won't get kicked out! ;)

I personally don't drink coffee or tea, but my neighbor swears by Maxwell House's tea. (I believe this is what it is)
It's funny - I can't drink tea because there is simply too much caffiene and I end up bouncing off the walls! Like I don't have that problem already! And coffee, as I said before, love the smell but cab't stand the bitterness. Tried will all kinds of sweeteners and flavoured creamers but still can't do it!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/18/06 at 10:18 pm

All I can say is that I am obsessed with Starbuck's "Caramel Macchiato".....so very yummy!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/18/06 at 10:30 pm

All I can say is that I am obsessed with Starbuck's "Caramel Macchiato".....so very yummy!!
that ain't a cup of Joe, that's a frikken dessert in a cup  ;D  j/k.  you like what you like and that's cool, just order a extra shot of espresso in it next time  ;)

my mother in law just returned from a Hawaii vacation and was on the island of Kona, and brought me back some Kona coffee "grown on the fertile slopes of the volcano"  so tomorrow morning, I'll be brewing some.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/19/06 at 4:33 am

Oh man, coffee from Hawaii! I bet its good.  Let us know how it is, Mike.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/20/06 at 12:33 am

[quote author=

Written By: Apricot on 06/21/06 at 5:25 am

I've had a ton of different types of coffee.. nothing foreign (I wanna try that Turkish coffee that, like, apparently keeps you up for 3 days and tastes like the most powerful cough syrup on Earth), but many, many types of stuff, different beans, etc. And.. I just.. don't like coffee. I enjoy the smell, that's about it.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 06/21/06 at 9:15 am

[quote author=

Written By: nally on 01/21/07 at 1:24 am

I don't often keep track of the types of coffee I've drunk; I just like to try different kinds. :)

Written By: Jessica on 01/21/07 at 3:51 pm

I use Folger's. To me, coffee is like wine: it all tastes the same. However, I LOVE the flavored CoffeeMate creamers. They have one (not sure if it's sold everywhere) that is toasted coconut. It's delicious.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/21/07 at 4:29 pm

I use Folger's. To me, coffee is like wine: it all tastes the same. However, I LOVE the flavored CoffeeMate creamers. They have one (not sure if it's sold everywhere) that is toasted coconut. It's delicious.

I love them too!  My current favorite is Vanilla Caramel.  I haven't tried the coconut one yet, but it sounds heavenly. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/01/07 at 2:05 pm

I love them too!  My current favorite is Vanilla Caramel.  I haven't tried the coconut one yet, but it sounds heavenly. 

I bought some Coconut creamer the other day.  WOW!  Good stuff!!

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/01/07 at 2:42 pm

I used to love the flavored creamers, but a few years ago I started drinking my coffee black and now I just don't like the flavored stuff.  I also used to buy flavored coffee, I used to love the chocolate raspberry one.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/01/07 at 2:52 pm

I used to love the flavored creamers, but a few years ago I started drinking my coffee black and now I just don't like the flavored stuff.  I also used to buy flavored coffee, I used to love the chocolate raspberry one.

Funnily enough, I used to drink my coffee black and didn't like flavors.  Go figure!  :)

Written By: Jessica on 02/01/07 at 4:13 pm

It is. I wish I would've bought that instead of the Chai Spice flavor. That stuff is nasty! :P

My mom used to work for Gloria Jeans in the AP department, so they would give them bags of coffee beans every pay period. They also had the training classes at the building, so she'd bring home some of the different flavors of iced coffee and stuff.

Funnily enough, she hates coffee, so I don't know how she wound up working there.

Written By: Davester on 02/04/07 at 12:45 am

Can anyone here give me tips on making a good cup of coffee?  My coffee is ok, but inconsistent
  :-very hot....

Freshly ground beans (I like Starbuck's Espresso Roast, also called Italian), ice cold water and let it perk for about 8 minutes.  The difference is night and day over auto-drip...

Make sure you use a stainless steel peculator and not aluminum, as aluminum has been linked to Alzheimer's groove ;) on...

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/05/07 at 3:40 pm

I got rid of my auto-drip machine a few months ago and went with a simple, stainless steel stovetop peculator.  Best home joe I've had in a long time...

You get more out of the coffee as the water is boiling and brews very hot....

Freshly ground beans (I like Starbuck's Espresso Roast, also called Italian), ice cold water and let it perk for about 8 minutes.  The difference is night and day over auto-drip...

Make sure you use a stainless steel peculator and not aluminum, as aluminum has been linked to Alzheimer's groove ;) on...

There is nothing like perked coffee, the smell of coffee perking reminds me of my grandfather's house.  I occasionally make coffee that way, but use my auto-drip one because of the delay brewing feature.  I like to have coffee as soon as I wake up.

Written By: Stompgal on 02/06/07 at 4:18 am

My parents have a coffee/espresso/cappucino machine. When I lived with them my mum would make me lovely cups of frothy decaffieniated coffee. Last December we went to Starbucks during our Christmas shopping and she ordered decaffeinated latte and mocha. I love Starbucks coffee. Their mochas and Frappucinos are fantastic.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/08/07 at 8:42 am

Funnily enough, she hates coffee, so I don't know how she wound up working there.
Did she like the smell of coffee?  I have a few friends who hate to drink coffee, but love the smell of it...

I just changed the filter in my coffee maker and can't believe how much better it tastes....funny, I didn't realize the taste difference before, I just realized I hadn't changed it since I got it 3 years ago :D

Written By: Marian on 02/10/07 at 2:40 pm

I like to go to Heartbeat cafe near Campbell,orchard valley Coffee in campbell,and pacifico primo.

Written By: adagio on 02/13/08 at 2:15 pm

I went to Starbucks and got the Kenya whole bean, coffee grinder and coffee pot (diffuser)...while I was there, they ground up some Cafe DI cCelo, which I had also bought.  That coffee is delicious!!!  There is not a Peets around her, but I suggest that Cafe DI Cielo whole bean coffee.  Thanks for recomending the Kenya,  badfinger-fan, which I haven't tried yet, but expect it to be as good as the Cafe Di Cielo.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/13/08 at 3:09 pm

I went to Starbucks and got the Kenya whole bean, goffee grinder and coffee pot (diffuser)...while I was there, they grounf up some coafe di cielo, which I had also bought.  That coffee is delicious!!!  There is not a Peets around her, but I suggest that cafe di cielo whole bean coffee.  Thanks for recomending the Kenya,  badfinger-fan, which I haven't tried yet, but expect it to be as good as the Cafe Di Cielo.
cool. I really like the Kenya, and this was the first time I'd tried it myself, and will be sure to try the cafe di cielo next time I go in for beans. thanks for bumping this coffee thread adagio. It's always good to get or give tasty coffee reviews.  :)

Written By: adagio on 02/13/08 at 8:55 pm

cool. I really like the Kenya, and this was the first time I'd tried it myself, and will be sure to try the cafe di cielo next time I go in for beans. thanks for bumping this coffee thread adagio. It's always good to get or give tasty coffee reviews.  :)

:-[  So many typos that I made!!  :-[  Well, it's good coffee anyway.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/14/08 at 11:32 pm

I need to go in the kitchen & grind up enough beans for a couple of days

Written By: adagio on 02/14/08 at 11:53 pm

What kind?  :)  I've been keeping ground up Cafe Di Cielo on hand.

Written By: robby76 on 02/23/08 at 3:16 am

I had one just last night!  :)

I'm normally a Coffee Bean Vanilla frappucino kinda guy, but I thought I'd have a "hot" Starbucks for a change.

Written By: Bobby on 02/24/08 at 5:24 pm

The only thing I know that is neccessary is put the coffee/tea in first, water next, let it brew for a sec and then pour milk after.

Written By: adagio on 02/24/08 at 5:38 pm

Mike....a present...

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93/adagio_photos/cpc.jpg?t=1203896184

Coffee Pot Cleaner ... ;D

Written By: Michael C. on 03/22/09 at 5:09 pm

I love Chock Full O Nuts brand coffee.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/19 at 7:36 am

mine consists of 2 Sweet And Lows and a bit of creamer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/19 at 11:24 am

Decaff?

Written By: Howard on 05/24/19 at 2:24 pm

Decaff?

No, It's always a regular cup of coffee.

Check for new replies or respond here...