inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Profile in food - Spanish Cuisine

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/09/06 at 2:51 pm

From Wikipedia:

Overview:
"Spanish cuisine consists of a great variety of dishes which stem from differences in geography, culture and climate. It is heavily influenced by seafood available from the waters that surround the country, and reflects the country's deep Mediterranean roots. Spain's extensive history with many cultural influences has led to a unique cuisine with literally thousands of recipes and flavors."

Origins:
"A significant portion of Spanish cuisine derives from the Jewish and Moorish traditions. The Moors were a strong influence in Spain for many centuries and some of their food is still eaten in Spain today. However, pork is popular and for centuries eating pork was also a statement of Christian ethnicity or limpieza de sangre, because it was not eaten by Jews or Muslims. Several native foods of the Americas were introduced to Europe through Spain, and a modern Spanish cook couldn't do without potatoes, tomatoes, peppers or beans."

Method:
"Traditional Spanish cooking also often revolves around outdoor cooking over a fire, perhaps in a special clay or brick oven.

One popular custom when going out is to be served tapas with a drink (sherry, wine, beer, etc.). In some places, like Granada, tapas are given for free with a drink and have become very famous for that reason. It should be noted that almost every tapas bar serves something edible when a drink is ordered, without charge."

Traits:
"As is true in many countries, the cuisines of Spain differ widely from one region to another, even though they all share certain common characteristics, among which are:

* The use of olive oil as a cooking fat, as well as raw, like in fritters.
    * The use of sofrito to start the preparation of many dishes.
    * The use of garlic and onions as major seasonings.
    * The custom of drinking wine during meals.
    * Serving bread with the vast majority of meals.
    * Consumption of salads, especially in the summer.
    * The consumption of a piece of fruit or a dairy product as dessert. Such desserts as tarts and cakes are typically reserved for special occasions."

The national dish of Spain is considered to be Paella.

Subject: Re: Profile in food - Spanish Cuisine

Written By: Tam on 06/09/06 at 11:49 pm

I love the smell of any Spanish dish - wish I could eat them though.
Heart burn happens!!!

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/10/06 at 7:22 am

Well, for the most part Spanish food isn't spicy like Mexican. :)

Know how you feel about heart burn though.  I think I actually have acid reflux.. but then I eat pizza anyway. :P ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/10/06 at 1:09 pm

That's Spanish cuisine. I prefer Puerto Rican/Dominican and Mexican cuisines over that anyday.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/10/06 at 5:13 pm

That's Spanish cuisine. I prefer Puerto Rican/Dominican and Mexican cuisines over that anyday.

To each their own.

Spanish food is quickly coming to the top of my list.  Its very versatile, has a lot of flavor, its not bland but it doesn't burn you up like Indian or Mexican.. plus its fairly healthy which is a good thing to me. :)

Spanish cooking is very en vogue right now in the culinary world.  This is from Wikipedia as well:

"Today, Spanish cooking is "in fashion", especially thanks to Ferran Adri

Written By: Tam on 06/10/06 at 5:48 pm

So, other than Paella, what are some "known" dishes that are Spanish?

Maybe I could try them out and see if the heartburn comes or not? ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/10/06 at 6:22 pm

So, other than Paella, what are some "known" dishes that are Spanish?

Maybe I could try them out and see if the heartburn comes or not? ;)

How about gazpacho? 

2 cups tomato juice, preferably freshly juiced
1/2 small cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 tsp. onion, minced
1 tbsp. fresh parsley leaves, minced
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp. fresh basil leaves, minced
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. honey
1 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. Bragg's seasoning, or sea salt to taste

Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.  Serve it with croutons.

Horchata de Almendra

Ingredients:

1/2 kilo (1 pound) Almonds
1/2 kilo (1 pound) Sugar
1 Lemon
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 Pinch of Salt
2.5 liters Water (warm)

* The first step is to remove the skins from the almonds. The best way to do this is to simply buy them already skinless. If none are available, you will have to boil the skins off. Put the almonds in a pot of boiling water and let sit until the skins become very soft. With time, the skins will dissolve or slide off easily when stirred. Boiling the almonds is a pain. It is much easier to just buy them without skins.
    * Crush or otherwise pulverise the almonds into a coarse powder. If you boiled your almonds to get the skins off, then smash them (or put them in a strong blender while adding some water) into a mush.
    * In a large bowl/container add the 2.5 liters of water with a pinch of salt. Slice and add the lemon.
    * Now mix in the almond powder (or mush). Cover the container and let it sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
    * When the two hours are up, add the sugar and cinnamon stick. Stir until sugar is completely dissovled.
    * Strain the liquid with a fine cloth. This removes all of the larger particles of almond. Strain until texture is smooth (twice should do it).

Spanish Meatballs(Alb

Written By: danootaandme on 06/11/06 at 7:35 am

Thanks I'll be ever grateful for the Baked Banana recipe, I have already tried it and it was delicious    :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/11/06 at 8:45 pm

Thanks I'll be ever grateful for the Baked Banana recipe, I have already tried it and it was delicious    :)

I'm glad it worked out for you. :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/11/06 at 10:50 pm

Perfect Paella(recipe courtesy the goddess Rachael Ray)

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 cups enriched white rice
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
1 bay leaf
1 quart chicken broth or stock
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders, cut into thirds
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3/4 pound chorizo, casing removed and sliced on an angle
1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp, 24 shrimp
18 green lipped mussels, cleaned
1 cup frozen peas
2 lemons zested

Garnish:
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
4 scallions, chopped
Lemon wedges
Crusty, bread for passing

In a very wide pan or paella pan, preheated over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, crushed garlic, red pepper flakes, add rice and saute 2 or 3 minutes. Add saffron threads, bay leaf, broth, and thyme and bring liquids to a boil over high heat. Cover the pan with lid or foil and reduce heat to simmer.

In a separate nonstick skillet, over medium high heat brown chicken on both sides in 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add peppers and onions to the pan and cook 3 minutes longer. Add chorizo to the pan and cook 2 minutes more. Remove pan from heat.

After about 13 minutes, add shellfish to the rice pan, nesting them in cooking rice. Pour in peas, scatter lemon zest over the rice and seafood, then cover the pan again. After 5 minutes, remove cover or foil from the paella and discard any unopened mussel shells. Stir rice and seafood mixture and lift out bay and thyme stems, now bare of their leaves. Arrange cooked chicken and peppers, onions and chorizo around the pan. Top with parsley and scallions. Serve with wedges of lemon and warm bread.

Paella is a very tasty and comforting meal. :)

Written By: nally on 06/14/06 at 3:45 pm

Well...after reading through this thread, I now know the differences between Spanish and Mexican cooking! :) Maybe I should try one of these recipes someday.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/15/06 at 12:55 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/15/06 at 9:06 pm

Well...after reading through this thread, I now know the differences between Spanish and Mexican cooking! :) Maybe I should try one of these recipes someday.

Cool! Thats just why I made it. 8)

I'll try this. I've had Paella before. But I'll get this recipe a good shot.

Good luck. :)

Are you Spanish btw?

Nope.  I just have a love for international cuisine, and happen to speak Spanish.  I'm from a mainly British(Welsh, English and Scots-Irish) background with some Cherokee and Hebrew back there too.

Check for new replies or respond here...