inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Poutine

Written By: whistledog on 06/10/06 at 12:16 am

It is my understanding that Poutine does not exist in America.  You guys don't know what you are missing :)

It is basically French Fries topped with cheese curds and gravy.  It is a popular item across Canada, found in many restaurants including Canadian chains of Burger King, A&W and KFC

http://www.restomenu.ca/restos/normand/fotos/7-trio-poutine.gif

It might not look all that appealing, but one taste, and you will be hooked 8)

Some places you go though, use real thin gravy that makes the fries all soggy real fast :( 
The best is Poutine from KFC.  They use that nice thick Chicken Gravy that stays on top.  It is a meal in itself 8)

Subject: Re: Poutine

Written By: ktelqueen on 06/10/06 at 12:42 am

saw the title,knew you were behind it  :P ;)

Written By: whistledog on 06/10/06 at 12:52 am

saw the title,knew you were behind it  :P ;)

am I that obvious? ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/10/06 at 7:32 am

Looks pretty good. :)

Is poutine a French word?

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/10/06 at 10:45 pm

In my opinion... MAKING POUTINE IS THE BEST THING TO DO WITH FRENCH FRIES IN THE WORLD!!!! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/cheeburga.gif

Written By: Gis on 06/11/06 at 4:06 am

Well in the U.K we don't use chese curds, just melted chedar and they are called 'Cheesy Chips' gravy is optional ! 

Written By: danootaandme on 06/11/06 at 7:44 am

I think I'll pass on this one...

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/11/06 at 4:05 pm

Actaully this would have the best shot at being sold in Wisconsin. They really love their cheese and even down here they sell cheese kurds as various snacks. In Northern Illinois we have something lighter called "Chedder Fries" which is basically cheese poured over a bunch of fries often in a cup. We even have a snack of fried cheese fries produced under the name "Andy Capp". Often when I'm at a buffet I'll take some nacho cheese and pour it oer my fries which is basically the same thing.

I'm not sure if I would like curds and gravy mixed together though. I'll have to ask my friend in BC about them. 

Written By: Marian on 06/11/06 at 4:12 pm

It is my understanding that Poutine does not exist in America.  You guys don't know what you are missing :)

It is basically French Fries topped with cheese curds and gravy.  It is a popular item across Canada, found in many restaurants including Canadian chains of Burger King, A&W and KFC

http://www.restomenu.ca/restos/normand/fotos/7-trio-poutine.gif

It might not look all that appealing, but one taste, and you will be hooked 8)

Some places you go though, use real thin gravy that makes the fries all soggy real fast :( 
The best is Poutine from KFC.  They use that nice thick Chicken Gravy that stays on top.  It is a meal in itself 8)
Sounds like something they would have in the South.Sounds good,though.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/11/06 at 4:37 pm

I don't know why, but I can see that being served in an 80's K-Mart cafeteria.

Written By: Paul on 06/11/06 at 5:24 pm

Well in the U.K we don't use chese curds, just melted chedar and they are called 'Cheesy Chips' gravy is optional ! 

I don't get that in my part of the world!

However, if you're talking 'chip butties'...

Written By: Gis on 06/12/06 at 3:22 am

I don't get that in my part of the world!

However, if you're talking 'chip butties'...
MMMMmmmmmmmm chip butties, with the bread well buttered and ketchup.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/12/06 at 6:59 pm

Sounds good.  I love french fries and gravy, cheese would be good with it, too.

Subject: Canadian Bacon

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/13/06 at 12:45 pm

Ok, I just watched some guy on TV saying that Canadian Bacon doesn't exist in Canada! Does that mean I can't order my favorite CB and Pineapple pizza in Vancouver!  >:( :D ;D

Written By: Tam on 06/13/06 at 1:37 pm

I notice that a lot of Southerner's only put gravy on their mashed potatoes and meats.
I was telling my girlfriend about it and she thought I was absolutely insane to put gravy on french fries.
So I made her poutine - she tried it and loved it.

I make it at home with crinkle cut fries, shredded mozzarella and Campbell's beef, chicken or turkey gravy.

place a layer of fries in a bowl
then a layer of cheese
then a layer of gravy

continue until the bowl is full!

My husband puts ketchup on his to top it off!

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/13/06 at 3:25 pm

http://cmsimg.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=B2&Date=20060519&Category=BUSINESS&ArtNo=605190308&Ref=AR&Profile=1003&MaxW=315
Look familiar? That's KFC's "Famous bowl". Actaully you guy's might have something up there. I spoke today with the manager of my local KFC about this and Poultine. In my village of 3500 people, our KFC was only supposed to sell about 50 a day, they're selling 200 a day!

Written By: Tam on 06/13/06 at 3:30 pm

http://cmsimg.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=B2&Date=20060519&Category=BUSINESS&ArtNo=605190308&Ref=AR&Profile=1003&MaxW=315
Look familiar? That's KFC's "Famous bowl". Actaully you guy's might have something up there. I spoke today with the manager of my local KFC about this and Poultine. In my village of 3500 people, our KFC was only supposed to sell about 50 a day, they're selling 200 a day!

Your link went dead on me Echo....

So if you are selling 200 a day then mayhap KFC will eventually be selling it down here??!!!! :o 8)

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/13/06 at 3:39 pm

I just reciently updated it, there was a bit left off the address which is why it didn't originally show.

It's a little bit different than what WD's pic showed, however it does have the same basic ingredients. It's a combination of mashed potato's (instead of fries), gravy, cheese, plus corn and chicken. In reality it's just a chicken dinner at home all mashed up into one bowl.

Written By: Tam on 06/13/06 at 3:45 pm

I just reciently updated it, there was a bit left off the address which is why it didn't originally show.

It's a little bit different than what WD's pic showed, however it does have the same basic ingredients. It's a combination of mashed potato's (instead of fries), gravy, cheese, plus corn and chicken. In reality it's just a chicken dinner at home all mashed up into one bowl.

All we would have to do is ask for the fries thenwith gravy and cheese.... I might just ask them sometime this week if they will make it for me - although I am sure they would have no idea what to charge!! ;)

Written By: whistledog on 06/13/06 at 9:08 pm

Whenever I go to Arby's Restaurants, I like making my own Poutine.  They don't have it on the menu, so I order a large Curly Fries, and pour Gravy and Cheese sauce over the fries.  It is one of the tastiest things I have ever had 8)

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/13/06 at 10:11 pm

All we would have to do is ask for the fries thenwith gravy and cheese.... I might just ask them sometime this week if they will make it for me - although I am sure they would have no idea what to charge!! ;)

Be careful, they may charge you for each ingredient as a seperate meal!  :o  I'm being silly but supposedly Burger King will charge you the same even if you request a Whopper without the meat. As for Poultine, has anyone had both it and what KFC is serving and are they similar?

Written By: Tam on 06/14/06 at 12:14 pm

Be careful, they may charge you for each ingredient as a seperate meal!  :o   I'm being silly but supposedly Burger King will charge you the same even if you request a Whopper without the meat. As for Poultine, has anyone had both it and what KFC is serving and are they similar?

They really aren't similar....
KFC calls it Poultine
Canadians call it Poutine

We dont use mashed potatoes or chicken or cheese sauce..
We use french fries, cheese curds and gravy.
Completely different.

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/06 at 3:43 pm

Cheesy chips is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Not too sure about cheese curd though . . .

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/15/06 at 3:52 pm

The idea of cheese curds and gravy on top of anything is enough to make my stomach violently ache.

Written By: Tam on 06/15/06 at 4:40 pm

The idea of cheese curds and gravy on top of anything is enough to make my stomach violently ache.

I know it sounds digusting, but surprisingly it isn't.
The thing that makes my stomach ache is when mayonaisse is put all over french fries!! Bleeeeech!!!

Written By: Tam on 06/15/06 at 6:20 pm

Well, Mike and I are making poutine for dinner.... I will take pictures to show you how we do it !!!!

Written By: Tam on 06/15/06 at 7:43 pm

Ok, for dinner I made poutine for Sasuke and I.
I used chicken gravy because I was out of beef
And I cut cheese strings into chunks
And topped it off with shredded mozzarella.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/elkgrin.gif

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/16/06 at 4:52 pm

That meal was absolutely delicious.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/16/06 at 5:59 pm

I notice that a lot of Southerner's only put gravy on their mashed potatoes and meats.
I was telling my girlfriend about it and she thought I was absolutely insane to put gravy on french fries.
So I made her poutine - she tried it and loved it.

I make it at home with crinkle cut fries, shredded mozzarella and Campbell's beef, chicken or turkey gravy.

place a layer of fries in a bowl
then a layer of cheese
then a layer of gravy

continue until the bowl is full!

My husband puts ketchup on his to top it off!

I'm not a Southerner and I only put gravy on my mashed potatoes (and meat when I used to eat it).

Written By: Tam on 06/20/06 at 3:58 pm

But here is the thing I don't understand....

Mashed potatoes with gravy...
potatoes are fries right?
Then why dont people who have never tried it just go ahead and do it?
I can guarantee it doesn't taste like boot! ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/20/06 at 4:48 pm

But here is the thing I don't understand....

Mashed potatoes with gravy...
potatoes are fries right?
Then why dont people who have never tried it just go ahead and do it?
I can guarantee it doesn't taste like boot! ;D

Fries and gravy is one thing.  Fries and gravy covered in cheese is gross.

Written By: Tam on 06/20/06 at 4:57 pm

Fries and gravy is one thing.  Fries and gravy covered in cheese is gross.

Which is easy to say if you have never tried it! ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/20/06 at 5:00 pm

Which is easy to say if you have never tried it! ;)

Sometimes the way something looks is enough to turn me off of it.  I know a lot of people who love cottage cheese, but I can't bring myself to eat something that looks like cellulite.

Written By: whistledog on 06/20/06 at 5:03 pm

Some places even have Italian Poutine.  Instead of gravy, they use Italian Meat Sauce

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/22/06 at 11:12 pm

I've heard of that.
Sounds a little nasty to me.

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/22/06 at 11:13 pm

Sounds like French Frie Sphaghetti. :P

Check for new replies or respond here...