inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Barbecue

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/10/06 at 7:25 pm

Americans love BBQ.  Different areas of the country do it in different ways.

From wikipedia:

Alabama - In Alabama, barbecue most often consists of pork ribs or pork shoulder, slow cooked over hickory smoke. Pork shoulder may be served either chopped or sliced; some diners also specify a preference for either "inside" or "outside" meat. Alabama barbecue is typically served with a spicy, tomato-based sauce.

Arkansas - Arkansas is in some ways the crossroads of American barbecue, and, in the opinion of many, the finest. This is largely due to its location -- firmly rooted in the Deep South but close enough to the Midwest and Texas to incorporate Kansas City and Texas-style barbecue traits.

Like all true southern barbecue, meat is never exposed to high or direct heat. Instead it is smoked at low temperatures for long periods of time (over 24 hours for many cuts of pork).

Pork and beef appear on almost all menus, although pork is more popular in the Delta than in the Ozarks. Arkansas-style ribs are a key attraction and similar to those had in Memphis, which lies across the Mississippi River from Arkansas.

A unique feature of barbecue in Arkansas is prevalence of chicken. Barbecue chicken, Arkansas-style, is always marinated with a "dry rub", smoked, and divided into edible portions only after it is completely cooked. Barbecue sauce is only applied by the eater.

Another unusual characteristic of Arkansas barbecue is that a barbecued pork or beef sandwich is always served with a thin layer of cole slaw atop and/or underneath the meat. Arkansas cole slaw, which is not as sweet or creamy as found in other states, provides a toothsome crunch and prevents the sauce from soaking into the bread. Barbecue sandwiches are traditionally served on slices of white bread. Additional cole slaw and potato salad are traditional side dishes. Unlike in other states, onion rings appear frequently as an accompaniment to an Arkansas barbecue sandwich.

The best illustration of the confluence of culinary influences that come together to make Arkansas barbecue is the sauce. Most restaurant have a thin tomato base sauce that is vinegary and peppery, much like its Deep South ancestors, but incorporates some of the sweetness found in Kansas City-style sauces. To varying degree, Arkansas sauces contain a sweetener (usually sorghum molasses), but they are never thick and never taste syrupy. They are, however, noticeably smoother (i.e., less acidic) than eastern sauces, particularly those from North Carolina.

Arkansas sauces tend to be spicier than those found in other states. Most restaurants serve at least two different sorts of sauce --

Subject: Re: Barbecue

Written By: Red Ant on 06/11/06 at 1:07 am

I'd have to say the North Carolina way is what I know as a BBQ; everything else is just grilling or a cook out. Not that that food isn't very good too, but around here when someone does a BBQ it's usually a big event. After all, renting a smoker and buying a whole pig is overkill unless you have 30+ people.

Written By: Tam on 06/11/06 at 3:08 am

We BBQ all the time.
Whether it is hamburgers,hotdogs or steaks, we do it Southern Style!

Brisket is the best thing too.
Now I love me some charcoal BBQ, but when you want it done fast nothing compares to the speed of propane.
Hank Hill sweas by it - but most Texans I know, will have nothing to do with it. ;)

Our BBQ's consist of:
Meats, always more than 3 selections
Salad - tossed/potatoe or pasta
Macaroni and Cheese
Baked Beans
BBQ corn on the cob
BBQ buttered potatoes
Spanish Rice
and of course Collard Greens.

Now this type of spread is usually put on by two or more people (so you could classify it as a cook-out)
and there are always more than 10 people.

When its just the family - it is still pretty much the same just not as much. And it lasts us for a week!!!
;D

Written By: danootaandme on 06/11/06 at 7:41 am

The word barbeque makes my mouth water.  My dad was from Louisiana and when he came up here after WWII he was the only one around the northerners who knew how to barbeque beyond burgers and dogs.  He made a fantastic smoked vinegar/salt pork rib that couldn't be beat.  I am not a big fan of the sweet, but I have found one place that serves vinegar/salt ribs they are mmmmm mmmmm good!  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/12/06 at 1:07 pm

The word barbeque makes my mouth water.  My dad was from Louisiana and when he came up here after WWII he was the only one around the northerners who knew how to barbeque beyond burgers and dogs.  He made a fantastic smoked vinegar/salt pork rib that couldn't be beat.  I am not a big fan of the sweet, but I have found one place that serves vinegar/salt ribs they are mmmmm mmmmm good!   :)

Here, here.

The best bbq is placed in the oven first and then put on the grill! The funny thing about bbq is that the vast majority of these styles were created by former slaves and their descendants and can truly be found at any African-American function, which is great b/c you have the blending of backgrounds meeting at one spot; thus, I can be more of a pig!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/06 at 1:25 pm

When we were in Puerto Rico in Feb. we went to a Taino indian village.  I learned that barbecue (at least the word) orginated from there. Here is a link.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bar1.htm

Barbecue is very similar to speghetti sauce-everyone has their own recipe.

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/12/06 at 1:58 pm

When we were in Puerto Rico in Feb. we went to a Taino indian village.  I learned that barbecue (at least the word) orginated from there. Here is a link.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bar1.htm

Barbecue is very similar to speghetti sauce-everyone has their own recipe.

Cat

Of course, Cat. I know that  :P. I am referring to distinct styles.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/06 at 2:34 pm

Of course, Cat. I know that  :P. I am referring to distinct styles.

I wasn't referring to your post specifically. I was just posting in general. I do understand that there are different styles and how many of those styles stem from different cultures and background.

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/12/06 at 2:37 pm

I wasn't referring to your post specifically. I was just posting in general. I do understand that there are different styles and how many of those styles stem from different cultures and background.

Cat

*whimpers back into her corner with her tail tucked in* okay, sorry  :-[

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/06 at 2:55 pm

*whimpers back into her corner with her tail tucked in* okay, sorry  :-[

Awww, please don't do that. No need.

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/12/06 at 3:07 pm

Awww, please don't do that. No need.

Cat

lol just pulling your leg, Cat!! No worries.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/12/06 at 4:36 pm

The best bbq is placed in the oven first and then put on the grill!

Ribs turn out 10 times better when you do it this way.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/12/06 at 5:28 pm

[quote author=

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/12/06 at 11:34 pm

I love pulled-pork BBQ with a vinegar/hot pepper sauce (Not really a sauce since it's just cider vinegar and hot pepper flakes).  I'm not a fan of sweet either and I don't really like a red sauce. 

Gerogia, NC and SC have some of the best tasting BBQ.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/12/06 at 11:41 pm

As a Texan to me sweet, tomato-based sauces ARE barbecue.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/12/06 at 11:44 pm

Infact I'd refer to the Vinegar-based stuff on the Eastern coast of the South as "Yankee barbecue".

Let me explain..

This isn't well known outside of the South, and maybe not a widespread sentiment down here but some Southerners feel that parts of Georgia, the Carolinas, and Virginia are not exactly Southern.  They speak with a Southern accent, but to people in the Deep South they seem a bit more like Mid-Atlanticers.  Marylanders with a Southern accent. :P

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/13/06 at 12:19 am

[quote author=

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/13/06 at 12:20 am

I love pulled-pork BBQ with a vinegar/hot pepper sauce (Not really a sauce since it's just cider vinegar and hot pepper flakes).  I'm not a fan of sweet either and I don't really like a red sauce. 

Gerogia, NC and SC have some of the best tasting BBQ.

They truly do. After that Kansas City and Memphis, but that would be about it. Otherwise it's just high falootin' grilling.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/13/06 at 3:57 pm

That's funny b/c it's often Texas which really isn't Deep South but more Southwest.

I haven't ever heard this being that my family resides in Lousiana, North Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee. Anything below the Mason-Dixon line is the South. The further you go down the more southern you get.

Thats a bit of a misconception.  West Texas and the Rio grande valley, as well as the hill country, are southwestern.  But East Texas is the Deep south, no ifs ands or buts about that. 

I'm not saying the east Coast of the south isn't southern.. but its different from the Deep South.  And I do think the area has a mid-Atlantic influence.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/13/06 at 5:50 pm

[quote author=

Written By: danootaandme on 06/13/06 at 6:01 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/13/06 at 6:20 pm

I was waiting to have my hair done and there was a guy from Georgia getting a cut and we were talking and he said something about Virginia then he said "but that's not really the south anyway".  I thought about it and figured he was sort of right.  West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware just seem to be a world unto themselves.

True, True. Delaware's a mid-Atlantic state anyway as is Maryland who can take that definition or South-Atlantic.

The others are entitled to their own misfortunate of no identity.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 06/15/06 at 4:25 pm

I'm not a big fan of BBQ sauce....I prefer the rubs and marinades.  UNLESS I'm at my MIL's, then I HAVE to use BBQ sauce to eat my fil's chicken.......which he cooks and cooks and cooks and cooks.....the only positive I can say about his "grilling abilities" is that you don't have to worry about your food being UNDERcooked :-\\

Written By: Tam on 06/15/06 at 4:39 pm

I'm not a big fan of BBQ sauce....I prefer the rubs and marinades.  UNLESS I'm at my MIL's, then I HAVE to use BBQ sauce to eat my fil's chicken.......which he cooks and cooks and cooks and cooks.....the only positive I can say about his "grilling abilities" is that you don't have to worry about your food being UNDERcooked :-\\

I hear ya about BBQ sauce.

I can't stand it and never have been able to.
Until recently, my steaks used to marinate in soy sauce and brown sugar, but a friend of ours taught us a marinate he brought from home. (Home would be Hawaii) All I know is that brown sugar, hawaiian salt and ginger make for an amazing marinate!!! ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/15/06 at 8:00 pm

North Carolina BBQ is the best.  Before I stopped eating meat, I used to eat that kind a lot because a friend of mine was from Asheville and she'd bring some home with her everytime she came back from visiting family.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/15/06 at 8:42 pm

When one refers to the Deep South, Texas is not considered. In all my years, it has been the case. I'm sure East Texas would like to feel that way, but popular opinion and fact-checking disagrees strongly. But I admire you anyway for putting up a good fight,  ;)  :D

>:( >:( >:(

I don't give a crap what wikipedia says.  Northeast Texas(not Houston or Dallas, I'm talking about the area of Smith county, Wood county, Henderson county, Gregg county etc.) is the Deep south.  SOUTHeast Texas does feel, as you put it, "peripheral".  It has a southern feel, but with that kinda Western feel as well.  I'm telling you, Northeast Texas does NOT feel that way.  I've lived here the majority of my life.  What you READ is one thing, but I don't think it overturns EXPERIENCE in an argument.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/15/06 at 8:57 pm

Moving along, here are some Cuban-style BBQ recipes from Bobby Flay of the Food Network.

Brined Pork Shoulder Cooked in a Caja China with Sour Orange Dipping Sauce:

3 to 4 quarts cold water
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
1 bone-in pork shoulder, about 7 pounds
Cilantro and achiote seasoning (recommended: Sazon Goya with Cilantro and Achiote)
Sour Orange-Habanero Dipping Sauce, recipe follows

Special Equipment: La Caja China

Whisk together the water, salt, sugar, and peppercorns in an extra large stockpot or large plastic container until most of the salt and sugar have dissolved. Place the pork shoulder in the mixture, making sure it is completely submerged, and refrigerate for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours. Remove pork, rinse well with cold water then pat dry. Season pork with cilantro and achiote seasoning.

Prepare a Caja China according to the manufacturer's directions. Place pork, skin side down, in the box and carefully fill tray to its full capacity with lit charcoal. Cook for 1 hour, carefully uncover (you will need to protect yourself from the heat) the Caja China, and turn the meat over. When you turn the pork shoulder, make some small cuts in the skin. Cover the Caja China, add more charcoal as needed, and continue roasting for 2 to 2 1/2 more hours. Do not uncover until pork is done. Alternatively, you can grill the pork; start out on high heat to char it and then reduce the heat, cover, and cook until desired degree of doneness. You can also use a rotisserie.

When the pork is done, remove it from the Caja China and let rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing. Slice and serve with the Sour Orange-Habanero Dipping Sauce.

Sour Orange-Habanero Dipping Sauce:

4 cups fresh orange juice
1 cup fresh lime juice
1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 to 1 whole habanero chile, chopped (depending on how hot you like it)
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup pure olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat grill to high. Bring orange juice and lime juice to a boil in a medium non-reactive saucepan on the grates of the grill and cook until reduced to about 2 cups. Let cool slightly. Transfer the mixture to a blender and add the onion, garlic, habanero, vinegar, and honey and blend until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the oil and blend until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Let cool to room temperature before serving.

1 pound black beans, picked over, soaked overnight and drained
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
2 cups long grain rice
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 cups chopped cilantro leaves, plus 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon pine nuts
3/4 cup pure olive oil
1/2 cup grated cotija cheese

Place soaked beans in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until cooked through, about 1 1/2 hours, adding more water if needed. Drain beans into a colander set over a bowl and reserve the cooking liquid from the beans.

Heat oil in a medium saucepan on the grates of the grill. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the rice, toss to coat in the oil and onion mixture, and cook for 2 minutes. Add 3 3/4 cups of the bean cooking liquid (if there is not enough liquid, add some water to measure 3 3/4 cups). Season the rice with salt and pepper, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, place cover on the pot, and cook until rice is just cooked through, about 14 to 16 minutes.

While the rice is cooking, place cilantro, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor and process until coarsely chopped. With the motor running, add the oil and process until smooth. Add the cheese and process until incorporated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Place rice and beans in a large bowl, fold in the cilantro pesto, and garnish with the additional chopped cilantro.

Cuba Libra:

2 cups dark rum
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
8 cups very cold cola (recommended: Coca-Cola)
Ice cubes, for serving
8 lime wedges, for garnish

Mix rum, lime juice, and cola together in a pitcher. Pour over ice into tall glasses and garnish with lime wedge.

Grilled Plantains with Rum-Brown Sugar Glaze:

2 cups dark rum
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
Pinch salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
6 very ripe plantains (should be almost black), peeled and sliced on the bias into 1/2-inch thick slices
1/4 cup canola oil

Heat grill to high. Place rum, brown sugar, and salt in a small saucepan and cook until the sugar has melted and the mixture reduces and thickens slightly. Stir in butter until melted. Remove from the heat.

Brush plantains with oil on both sides and grill until golden brown and caramelized, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Brush with the glaze during the last few minutes of grilling. Remove from the grill and brush with more of the glaze before serving.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/15/06 at 10:43 pm

I've been Q'ng for a while and have pleased many a guest at my table. I've used many techniques, wood, charcoal, smoking, grilling, and truly feel it can become a passion. I'm one that loves to use dry rubs on certain meats like ribs, brisket, tri-tip, and fish and have even labeled and filled jars full of it for friends at Christmas. I call it Mike's Meat Massage and my friends love it and expect a jar. There just ain't nuthin' like a tasty slab o' ribs on the weekend. yum!!! OMG, I gotta have some soon   :D
Here's a marinade I love using on Tri-tip if I'm not using a dry rub. I buy a bottle of Bernsteins roasted garlic balsalmic vinegarette and marinade my tri-tips in plastic freezer bag overnight, Throw that baby on the grill the next day and you got a very tasty hunk o' beef to carve up.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/16/06 at 1:12 am

Mikey's Meat Massage

Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that the origin of that phrase had nothing to do with barbecue?

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/16/06 at 10:43 am

Mike, have you ever built your own pit or smoker?

Written By: Apricot on 06/16/06 at 11:46 am

I'm not a fan of sweet or spicy.. guess Barbeque just isn't quite my tempo.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/16/06 at 12:42 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/16/06 at 12:51 pm

When I travel out where i'll get something different in regards to what? ???

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/16/06 at 6:28 pm

Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that the origin of that phrase had nothing to do with barbecue?
LOL  ;D  seriously, I just loved the sound of it, and knew it was catchy, but you're right in that it does have a hint of naughtiness to it.  [quote author=

Written By: danootaandme on 06/17/06 at 6:09 am

I'm not a fan of sweet or spicy.. guess Barbeque just isn't quite my tempo.

Salt and Vinegar is the thing you want.  99% of barbecue focuses on sweet/spicy, I don't know why.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/29/06 at 3:47 am

I grilled some plump juicy chicken breasts & thighs last Memorial Day weekend. I marinated the chicken with a good bottled italian dressing overnight. I then basted it with bbq sauce during the final moments before it came off the grill. I make my own sauce which is pretty good & I use tongs to dunk/immerse the meat in bbq sauce before I serve it because I like a lot of sauce on my chicken. I'm gonna do some ribs for July 4th, so hopefully will post a pic of the cooked slabs of baby backs, unless I do spareribs. I haven't decided. here's a pic of the chicken before I basted it with sauce.

Written By: Apricot on 06/29/06 at 9:16 pm

Salt and Vinegar is the thing you want.  99% of barbecue focuses on sweet/spicy, I don't know why.

I'll have to try it.. I'm not big on vinegar, but I've never had it as a barbeque style.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/29/06 at 11:29 pm

Yech... I don't care for BBQ!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/30/06 at 3:33 am

Yech... I don't care for BBQ!
I bet you'd like BBQ'd llama  :P

Written By: zcrito on 06/30/06 at 11:08 pm

I'm surprised. I see some of the liberal posters on other boards are BBQ fans. I know it's wrong to assume things sometimes, but I just figured you'd all be a bunch of vegans.  ;)

I guess barbecued meat isn't Hitler (and we know why).
:)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/01/06 at 12:41 am

I'm surprised. I see some of the liberal posters on other boards are BBQ fans. I know it's wrong to assume things sometimes, but I just figured you'd all be a bunch of vegans.  ;)

I guess barbecued meat isn't Hitler (and we know why).
:)

I was a vegetarian for a long time, but then I just decided that I had enough fun with that.  Besides, barbecued/grilled veggies are good.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/01/06 at 8:25 am

Oh don't be foolish, another myth demolished.  Not only am I a serious liberal among serious liberals, we are all sweaty with excitement because we are closing in on July 4th, one of the big three in regards to barbecue, the other two being Memorial Day and Labor Day.  The heady aroma of all that meat smoking on the grill sends me to Nirvana  ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/01/06 at 12:53 pm

I bet you'd like BBQ'd llama  :P

No, that'd be BBQ'd.

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/27/12 at 4:44 pm

Well as it is Memorial Day weekend, and I have fired up the smoker...  I thought it was time to revive this thread.

I am smoking 2 briskets, and a couple slabs of ribs, spare ribs (without the bacon/belly removed, so extra meat on them).  Yummy

I am not mopping very often (only have twice in 4 1/2 hours) and I always put on a dry rub.  Can't decide if I am going to put on any Q sauce or let the company do it themselves.  8)

Time to make the corn casserole... 

Potatoe salad is already made. 

Written By: Howard on 05/27/12 at 5:30 pm

Well as it is Memorial Day weekend, and I have fired up the smoker...  I thought it was time to revive this thread.

I am smoking 2 briskets, and a couple slabs of ribs, spare ribs (without the bacon/belly removed, so extra meat on them).  Yummy

I am not mopping very often (only have twice in 4 1/2 hours) and I always put on a dry rub.  Can't decide if I am going to put on any Q sauce or let the company do it themselves.  8)

What's for dessert, Sami?

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/27/12 at 5:33 pm

What's for dessert, Sami?
fresh strawberry shortcake or brownies; plus we will have smores around the firepit

Written By: Howard on 05/27/12 at 5:57 pm

fresh strawberry shortcake or brownies; plus we will have smores around the firepit

so yummy.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/06/13 at 1:50 am

not sure if you're around but wow! Sami, what an awesome BBQ last year. I'd like to do a brisket in my new BBQ grill & a slab of ribs too, and get your recipe for corn casserole. how long did you cook your briskets for?

Check for new replies or respond here...