inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite Sandwich Place?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/11/06 at 2:39 am

Self explanatory.

Subject: Re: Favourite Sandwich Place?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/06 at 2:52 am

Other: Two different places Benjy's and Greggs

Written By: Tam on 06/11/06 at 3:01 am

I said Subway...

However, my heart misses Mr. Sub

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/11/06 at 3:14 am

There aren't too many sandwich bars around here, unfortunately. So Subway is my default choice.

Written By: Gis on 06/11/06 at 3:54 am

Well here in the U.K we have millions of sandwich shops ! In Oxford alone we have over twenty. My favourite in in the Covered Market in oxford and uses all organic ingredients they do a gorgeous tuna and mozerella melt.MMmmmmmmmm

Written By: whistledog on 06/11/06 at 10:35 am

Mr. Sub is the best.  I go there every now and them for a Santa Fe Spicy Chicken Sandwich.  Those things are unbelievable 8)

Written By: chaka on 06/11/06 at 11:53 am

Other: Greggs,that is when I'm in England,no Greggs here in Lux.

Written By: Marian on 06/11/06 at 4:08 pm

Self explanatory.
I like lee's sandwiches.There's also another Vietnamese place that isn't a chain.I like thier sandwiches too.

Written By: gemini on 06/11/06 at 4:17 pm

I like Subbys, they have a few around here. I'm not sure if it's just a local thing or not,  and a little deli in town called Main Street Deli, so I chose other.

Written By: Paul on 06/11/06 at 5:26 pm

Other: My kitchen!

And I'm just in the mood for a Cheese & Branston 'doorstop'...

Written By: Dagwood on 06/11/06 at 6:14 pm

Quiznos.  I love toasted sandwiches.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/11/06 at 7:05 pm

I can't choose any of the chains you've mentioned, they just can't make a good hoagie.
I like Sorrento's for their hoagies, a family owned shop with stores all around South Jersey.
It's Tony Luc's,( pronounced Lukes), for their Cheese Steak Sandwich. People will tell you,
if you're in Philly and want a steak you have get it "wid" (with cheese whiz). I say no to the
cheese whiz, instead get Sharp Provolone and long hots.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/12/06 at 1:01 pm

I can't choose any of the chains you've mentioned, they just can't make a good hoagie.
I like Sorrento's for their hoagies, a family owned shop with stores all around South Jersey.
It's Tony Luc's,( pronounced Lukes), for their Cheese Steak Sandwich. People will tell you,
if you're in Philly and want a steak you have get it "wid" (with cheese whiz). I say no to the
cheese whiz, instead get Sharp Provolone and long hots.

B.S.!! That's a tourist trap! I'm from Philly and never in my life did I ever say "wid". I may have said "wif" ;D b/c of my accent, but c'mon no one says that, except tourists and non-locals (including New Jersey and Delaware).

Subway by default since I'm aware from home. Otherwise, Geno's (in Philly) and other local haunts I've been known to be seen at.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/12/06 at 5:46 pm

B.S.!! That's a tourist trap! I'm from Philly and never in my life did I ever say "wid". I may have said "wif" ;D b/c of my accent, but c'mon no one says that, except tourists and non-locals (including New Jersey and Delaware).

Subway by default since I'm aware from home. Otherwise, Geno's (in Philly) and other local haunts I've been known to be seen at.

Tanya, do you have some sort of issue with me? This is the third time I have mentioned
Philadelphia that you have responded with an "outsider" jab. I may not live in Philly but I
work in Philly, as I have for the past 25 years.

As far as the "wid". The South Philly Italians often use "wid" or "wit" as in "do you want it wit,
or want do you want wid dat?

As far as Geno's, are you aware of the controversy surrounding Geno's now? He has a sign
in his window that states, "when ordering, speak English." If you don't speak English
he won't serve you.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/12/06 at 10:55 pm

Tanya, do you have some sort of issue with me? This is the third time I have mentioned
Philadelphia that you have responded with an "outsider" jab. I may not live in Philly but I
work in Philly, as I have for the past 25 years.

As far as the "wid". The South Philly Italians often use "wid" or "wit" as in "do you want it wit,
or want do you want wid dat?

As far as Geno's, are you aware of the controversy surrounding Geno's now? He has a sign
in his window that states, "when ordering, speak English." If you don't speak English
he won't serve you.

No I'm not jabbing at you (self concious much, lol  ;)). I can't say anything about my hometown without worrying about offending you. Let down your guard there's no need to be feisty about it, okay?  :) No harm intended!!! Let's just hug it out!!!  Bad English is bad English and to say it's a Philly thing is ridiculous.

I do know about the Geno's controversy. I see it from all sides. Yes, I can see what he's saying; however, you can't speak bad English and then claim you won't serve anyone b/c they do the same or speak another language. Actually, he's going against laws where a business has to provide services to accomodate all. Unfortunately, he will find himself in some deep caca over this.

Written By: Marian on 06/13/06 at 3:50 pm

Togo's is the best non-Vietnamese sub place in san Jose.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/13/06 at 4:30 pm

No I'm not jabbing at you (self concious much, lol  ;)). I can't say anything about my hometown without worrying about offending you. Let down your guard there's no need to be feisty about it, okay?  :) No harm intended!!! Let's just hug it out!!!  Bad English is bad English and to say it's a Philly thing is ridiculous.

I do know about the Geno's controversy. I see it from all sides. Yes, I can see what he's saying; however, you can't speak bad English and then claim you won't serve anyone b/c they do the same or speak another language. Actually, he's going against laws where a business has to provide services to accomodate all. Unfortunately, he will find himself in some deep caca over this.

Okay, guard's down.

Geno's was issued two civil rights complaint's yesterday, and a civil right's suit today. 

I can't believe in my original post I left out Nick's Roastbeef, My opinion, the best roastbeef
sandwich in the tri-state area.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/13/06 at 6:25 pm

Quiznos and Penn Station. I also liked W.G. Grinders before they went out of business (in our area anyway.).

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/14/06 at 1:51 pm

I eat at a local place that branched out of San Francisco called Genova's Deli. Excellent sandwiches. It's really hard to tolerate a Subway or Togo when you eat something as supreme as a Genova sandwich.  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 06/17/06 at 6:18 am

The whole North End in Boston.  Odds are any place you stop for a "sangwich" will have fresh bread, and tasty fillings, you can't go wrong.  ;)

Written By: Apricot on 06/17/06 at 11:22 am

Subway is good in moderation. When I go out for a meal, I generally expect something I couldn't easily make in my own home.. I could easily make a sub.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/17/06 at 1:28 pm

Quiznos.  Their veggie subs are to die for and while Subway's are good......I like Quiznos more.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/17/06 at 8:23 pm

The small non chain places have the best sandwiches (especially in NY), but if I had to pick a chain I'd go with Charley's.  Great "Philly-style" subs.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/17/06 at 8:35 pm

Subway is good in moderation. When I go out for a meal, I generally expect something I couldn't easily make in my own home.. I could easily make a sub.
I couldn't. Always turns into a sloppy mess.  ;D But at least its edible.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/18/06 at 6:27 am

The small non chain places have the best sandwiches (especially in NY),

I'm with you on that I can't understand a lare chain being a favorite anything, unless you live in a world of chains. 

Written By: Kryllith on 06/19/06 at 12:27 pm

Bison Witches.

Written By: nally on 06/27/06 at 5:50 pm

I like Subway and Quiznos. I also like Togos (unlisted in the poll), but I don't go there quite as often.

Written By: Davester on 06/27/06 at 8:10 pm

Schlotzsky's.  Good sammiches...

Written By: Stompgal on 06/29/06 at 4:47 am

Subway. There's one in Newport where I live and I spotted a couple in London where I'll be living next month.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/29/06 at 10:39 am

No Togo's?

I'd say Subway

AND WHO WANTS TO TRY A MCDONALD'S SUB!? :D

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/05/06 at 9:23 pm

I put other. On Nantucket we have this place called Juniors. The best BLT subs ever made.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/06 at 9:46 pm

I tend to go to Subway because they have the lower fat/calorie option on some of their subs...however, there is this local place a few towns over...it's called, "Abie & Bimbo's".....and they have this sub called the "swinger sub".....and it is SOOO good...but SOOO fattening....and now I am getting really in the mood for one!! LOL! :D ;D

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 10:02 pm

Quizno's

Written By: Southern Image on 07/07/06 at 3:50 pm

I like my SUBWAYS!!!

Written By: spaceace on 10/15/06 at 2:40 pm

My favorite deli is a place called Smiley's.  They make the best subs and wraps.  They also have this wonderful habit of filling their sandwiches full of stuff. :)

Written By: whitewolf on 10/15/06 at 4:15 pm

Subway

Written By: Step-chan on 10/16/06 at 4:33 pm

Subway, although I would like to try Quizno's when I can ever afford to(and think of it).

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/16/06 at 6:18 pm

I picked "other."  We have a local place called Snyders that is actually like an old fashioned butcher shop/deli, and I have never tasted a better sub anywhere, except for a little deli I happend upon while visiting New York.  It was also a small, local place - in my opinion always the best!

Written By: spaceace on 10/16/06 at 6:24 pm

Oh, you would love Smiley's then ASH. :)

Written By: Jessica on 10/17/06 at 1:46 pm

Other.

In my hometown, there is a little market called Nick's Hiway Mart. They make the BEST pork sandwiches. They slap on a ton of pork, cheese, and this hella hot salsa, and toast it up. Soooo good.

Written By: spaceace on 10/17/06 at 2:01 pm

I went in to Smiley's Deli and told the owner I plugged the deli on this message board.  He was happy for the publicity. :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/17/06 at 3:12 pm

Oh, you would love Smiley's then ASH. :)

It sounds like I would!  :)

Written By: joedeertae on 10/17/06 at 3:37 pm

I chose other... as a default I got to Subway because it's close to work.
But my favorites are Jason's Deli and McAlister's Deli. They make one of the best muffaletta's this side of New Orleans, Louisiana.
When I'm in NOLa I eat at Central Grocery every chance I get, THE. BEST. MUFFALETTA. EVER!

Written By: La Roche on 10/17/06 at 3:41 pm

Ammaghettis.. across the street from Yogi Berra's house and the place with the two Lebanese guys.

Written By: Stompgal on 11/04/06 at 5:24 am

I like Quizno's now too. There's one in Shopping City, Wood Green.

Check for new replies or respond here...