inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Classic dishes from your country.

Written By: Gis on 06/11/06 at 4:10 am

What would you class as the classic dish or dishes of the country you live in, what are the specialities ?

I guess in the U.K it would be Fish and Chips, Roast Beef and Yorkshire Puddings,Steak and Kidney Pie, Cream Tea,Shepherd's Pie, The great English Fry-up etc etc.

Subject: Re: Classic dishes from your country.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/06 at 4:31 am

What would you class as the classic dish or dishes of the country you live in, what are the specialities ?

I guess in the U.K it would be Fish and Chips, Roast Beef and Yorkshire Puddings,Steak and Kidney Pie, Cream Tea,Shepherd's Pie, The great English Fry-up etc etc.
...and Bangers and Mash

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/11/06 at 4:57 am

Heh. Many of our dishes are derived from from England and other European countries (Italy for example). Asian food hass also taken off down here aswell.

The only traditional dish I can think of that is unique to New Zealand is the Hangi.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/11/06 at 7:32 am

Apple Pie, Ice Cream, Hamburgers, Fried Chicken, Chicken Fried Steak, Corn Dogs... In the USA it is all about
Fat and Fried.    ;)

Written By: Tam on 06/11/06 at 11:25 am

Heh. Many of our dishes are derived from from England and other European countries (Italy for example). Asian food hass also taken off down here aswell.

The only traditional dish I can think of that is unique to New Zealand is the Hangi.

What exactly is Hangi?

Subject: San Fran

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/11/06 at 3:47 pm

Asian food hass also taken off down here aswell.

In America what is called Asian is in fact an American invention which I like to call "San Fransician". I say that because I watch a program on the history channel about how what we American's think as Asian was in fact invented by Chinese immigrants to America. During the 1800's they realized that they could make a business selling food invented to cater to American taste using oriental ingrediants. Today across this land, and maybe even Canada, we have thousands of Chinese buffets filled with eggrolls, fried rice, and scores of delicious dishes involing chunks of meat covered in a sweet sauce. Personally I think there plan is to make our hearts explode.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/11/06 at 4:16 pm

I'm going to say "Jewish/NYC cuisine", since that's my sort of "personal nation."

New Jersey:
-Stuffed breads: Breads stuffed with Italian antipasti.
-Texas wieners: Huge, rough blood sausages filled with East European spices.

New York:
-Pizza, pizza, pizza!
-Calzones, calzones, calzones!
-Bagels.
-Rye bread.

Jewish:
-Hot pastrami on rye.
-Blintzes.
-Brisket.
-Knishes.
-Matzoh ball soup.
-Latkes.
-Schaav.
-Borscht.
-Bagels.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/11/06 at 4:22 pm

What exactly is Hangi?
More of a "method" of cooking than a dish, but here it is if you want to find out more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangi

Written By: whistledog on 06/11/06 at 4:45 pm

The "Butter Tart" was invented in Ontario around the early 1900s, and has been a tasty treat I have loved since I was a kid 8)

http://goodyman.com/tart1.gif

You can get them with raisins, pecans, walnuts, and other types of ingredients, but I prefer the raisin ones the best.  They are very sweet though, so I don't eat them as much as I used to

Written By: Paul on 06/11/06 at 5:21 pm

...and not forgetting the wonderful pile of 'stodge' that is Bread Pudding...

...and it's similarly-titled (but very different) namesake...Bread & Butter Pudding...

And the world thinks we have no culinary tastes? Ha!

Written By: Tam on 06/11/06 at 6:20 pm

More of a "method" of cooking than a dish, but here it is if you want to find out more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangi

Thanks Luke! ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/11/06 at 9:34 pm

...and it's similarly-titled (but very different) namesake...Bread & Butter Pudding...

Umm yeah I think I'll pass on toad in a hole, blood pudding, bubble & squeek etc. :P

Since I'm from the American South, I suppose I'll cover Southern food.

Southern food is a mix of several influences.  It developed for European tastes(the British in the South at large and the French & Spanish in Louisiana), based on local ingredients.  The food was also influenced by Native American cooking(cornbread for example) as well as West African methods of cooking that were popular there in the period in which slaves were brought to the South(a lot of deep fat frying).

Breakfast:

Grits
Biscuits & Gravy
Country ham
Chicken Fried Steak- its considered to be a breakfast food as well something you can have for lunch or dinner)
Goldenrod Eggs- this comes from Kentucky, isn't particularly well known.. the state flower is the Goldenrod I believe. Its hard-boiled egg whites chopped in a basic flour and milk-based sauce(sweetened) with paprika & black pepper spread over toast, then the hardened yolk is crumbled over the top and its garnished with more paprika
Pork sausage(patties)
Tomatoes(uncooked, sliced)

Meat:

Southern Fried Chicken
Chicken Fried Steak
Chicken & Dumplings
Fried Catfish(Cornmeal battered and pan fried)

Vegetables:

"Greens" usually collard, turnip, kale, or mustard greens. In the South, "greens" are the leaves of these vegetables cooked down and generally seasoned with some kind of meat or meat grease in a pot of water for a certain period of time.
Hoppin' John- Blackeyed peas and white rice cooked on a stovetop, seasoned with hamhock, onions, and green peppers.  Traditionally ate on New Year's for good luck.
Pinto beans
Fried Squash
Fried Okra
Swamp Cabbage
Fried Green Tomatoes
Red Beans & Rice
Mashed Potatoes & Gravy

Breads:

Buttermilk biscuits
Cornbread
Hush puppies

Sides:

Deviled Eggs
Dressing- similar to northern stuffing, but with cornbread as a base and prepared and served separately from the meat.
Gravy- used liberally on meats, potatoes, biscuits, and anything else. May be milk-based (country gravy) or based on coffee or water (red-eye gravy) mixed with the drippings leftover from cooking meat.

Desserts:

Fried pies
Shoofly pie
Pecan Pie
Mississippi Mud Pie
Key Lime Pie
Pralines
Banana Pudding
Bread Pudding
Teacakes
Pound Cake
Red Velvet Cake

Drinks:

Sweet Tea
Mint Julip(see Bourbon)
Buttermilk
Bourbon(see Mint Julip) ;) ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/11/06 at 9:47 pm

I would say New York area food is a combination of E. European Jewish and South Italian, particularly Neapolitan and Sicilian, cuisines over the base of British, Dutch, Irish, and German influences. And, of course, there are multifarious influences from Puerto Rican, Arabic, Chinese, Asian Indian, African-American cuisines.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/11/06 at 9:58 pm

I would say New York area food is a combination of E. European Jewish and South Italian, particularly Neapolitan and Sicilian, cuisines over the base of British, Dutch, Irish, and German influences. And, of course, there are multifarious influences from Puerto Rican, Arabic, Chinese, Asian Indian, African-American cuisines.

Well its not really a unified cuisine, its several cuisines co-existing in the same area.  We have more than one down here, actually.  Theres mainstream southern food like listed about however theres also Cajun, Creole, and Tex-Mex.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/06 at 1:59 am

Can Tripe be included?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 3:19 am

I don't really even know what 'Australian cuisine' is, lol. Bush Tucker?

Maybe Widgety grubs cooked in pine nuts or something, or Kangaroo steaks cooked to a char on the Barbie with Barbecue sauce. A good sauce and mice beef pie, lamingtons, a pavlova, apricot and strawberry flans...

Written By: Gis on 06/12/06 at 3:20 am

Can Tripe be included?
If you feel it must !

*goes off to vomit..............

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/12/06 at 3:12 pm

[quote author=

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/06 at 4:00 pm

Lobster. You may be able to get it in other parts of the world but it is a different breed than the ones we have here in New England-and in my opinon, it is definately much better than the other breed.

Cat

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/12/06 at 4:39 pm

Ah! Now we're talking! :D

The world famous and renowned Dutch cuisine! ::)

Exquisite and delicious!  :P

All those great dishes. like...

ummm..

...poffertjes? :-\\

(awkward silence)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/06 at 4:41 pm

ummm..

(awkward silence)

There is always Dutch Chocolate or Dutch Apple Pie.  ;D

Cat

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/12/06 at 4:55 pm

Didn't pancakes originate in the Netherlands? 

Written By: karen on 06/13/06 at 3:46 am

salt liquorice?

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/pukeface.gif

Written By: CeeKay on 06/13/06 at 8:40 am

In Colorado, we have some interesting influences.  First, what I'll call the Western Range style -- Buffalo, Elk and Trout.  Mexican food, of several styles, from American influenced to the tastes you find if you were in a small Mexican town -- look for a little restaurant in a storefront in one of the urban neighborhoods to find some fantastically delicious Mexican food.  Also, we have a thriving Vietnamese population, so we have some great Vietnamese (and Thai) food here.

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/14/06 at 11:04 am

[quote author=

Written By: Gis on 06/14/06 at 1:46 pm

Hardly something to brag about..!
Pancakes are gorgeous !

Written By: KKay on 06/14/06 at 1:53 pm

We grew up eating lots of norwegian food on holidays and at grandma's.

Pickled herring, boiled eggs and sil (small, anchovie like fish), stuff with caraway seed on it, fiskeboller (pressed cod and potato rolled in balls and cooked in cream sauce)....

Written By: NbC on 06/14/06 at 9:04 pm

Here on Guam some are:

Red Rice
Lumpia
Pancit
Chicken, beef, fish Keleguen
finedene

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/16/06 at 10:53 am

Pickled herring, boiled eggs and sil (small, anchovie like fish), stuff with caraway seed on it, fiskeboller (pressed cod and potato rolled in balls and cooked in cream sauce)....

Ugh.. my stepdad's whole family is German, and I remember having to eat Easter dinner with them once...

Lets say i'm not a fan of Germanic food.. or Northern European food in general, because now that I think about it English food stinks too. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/16/06 at 11:34 pm

I'm from Chicago and the one thing you have to eat when you go to Chicago is the pizza.  For the best you can to the following places; Giordano's, Father & Sons, Leona's, and Pizzaria Uno.  For the Chicago-style hot dog, you must go to Toots, over at Montrose and Central.

Written By: spaceace on 09/29/06 at 9:09 pm

I grew up with Pennsylvania Dutch cooking.  Chicken Corn Soup, Wet Bottom Shoo Fly Pie,  Fausnauchts, Amish Potato Salad (Best when made by someone Amish!) :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/02/06 at 9:41 am

My family eats Lutefisk on Christmas morning.  (See description below.)  We have it with eggs, quiche, muffins, and sometimes ham.  I'm not a fish lover, so I mostly just eat muffins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

In Utah, people eat all sorts of crazy things.  Mostly Jello.  Anything that can possibly be suspended in Jello probably has been.  Carrots, celery, any sort of fruit, marshmallows, you name it.  I hate jello.

People also eat a sort of au gratin potato that's commonly known as "Funeral Potatoes" since they are served at pretty much every funeral in the state.  They consist of frozen hashbrowns, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, lots and lots of cheese, and, of course, crushed corn flakes on the top.  Pretty good stuff.

If you feel it must !

*goes off to vomit..............

LOL!!

Written By: karen on 10/02/06 at 9:44 am

The boss brought some vlaa (sp? in the other day.  Cherry pie with a lattice top.  Lovely!

Written By: Paul on 10/03/06 at 6:56 am

ummm..

(awkward silence)

Not sure if it counts as 'cuisine', but Amsterdam had some wonderful 'coffee shops' when I was over there last...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/11/06 at 1:02 am

ummm..

(awkward silence)
;D you made me laugh Henk

you're norwegian? that's cool. What's Norwegian wood? seriously though, you like eating those little fishy's don't you. I like sardines and is it wrong to like them with mustard?

...My mom is Yugoslavian (serbian) and part Austrian and she made some ethinic dishes for us here that one day I will revive. A classic dish she would make is palacinkas or crepes http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mxfhSxFeX0BfSejzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12dgjvrkq/EXP=1160632031/**http%3a//www.iowaegg.org/Recipes/recipeimages/Crepes-lo.jpg she used to fill them with jam and sprinkle powdered sugar on them and they were deliciously delightful. They are popular with the Slavs, Czech, Romanian, Hungarian & of course the French love crepes. She also made weinerschnitzel  and chicken and dumplings. These dishes bring back many fond meories of dinner around the table. I would have to get a Yugoslavian cookbook to replicate these. Jacks (Chrissy) said she got one at Amazon because her hubby is Yugoslavian and she was gonna share some recipes from the book. Hopefully she comes back and does that on this thread for all

Written By: Tam on 10/11/06 at 1:06 am

;D you made me laugh Henk
you're norwegian? that's cool. What's Norwegian wood? seriously though, you like eating those little fishy's don't you. I like sardines and is it wrong to like them with mustard?

...My mom is Yugoslavian (serbian) and part Austrian and she made some ethinic dishes for us here that one day I will revive. A classic dish she would make is palacinkas or crepes http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mxfhSxFeX0BfSejzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12dgjvrkq/EXP=1160632031/**http%3a//www.iowaegg.org/Recipes/recipeimages/Crepes-lo.jpg she used to fill them with jam and sprinkle powdered sugar on them and they were deliciously delightful. They are popular with the Slavs, Czech, Romanian, Hungarian & of course the French love crepes. She also made weinerschnitzel  and chicken and dumplings. These dishes bring back many fond meories of dinner around the table. I would have to get a Yugoslavian cookbook to replicate these. Jacks (Chrissy) said she got one at Amazon because her hubby is Yugoslavian and she was gonna share some recipes from the book. Hopefully she comes back and does that on this thread for all

That looks abso-freakin-lutely delicious!!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/11/06 at 1:08 am

That looks abso-freakin-lutely delicious!!!
yes, doesn't that look good, with the fresh fruit and whipped cream. I gotta get me a good omelet/crepe pan and learn how to make these and surprise the girls here one Saturday morning with a plate just like this

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/11/06 at 2:38 am

My aunt Elaine is Norwegian, so whenever we'd have our family and my uncle's family together for a meal (this was back when we lived in Chicago; it was only a 3

Written By: Gis on 10/11/06 at 3:07 am

My Mum is German so we used to eat a few german dishes when we were kids as well as English ones. She makes the most Amazing Goulash which is different to the russian one which it would be really as she's not russian! Lovely mashed potato and potato salad too. As she came from a village on the Dutch border (my grandfather was dutch) there was a fair amount of dutch influence too. To die for dutch apple cake and vanilla pudding, I'm drooling now just thinking about it....... 

Written By: KKay on 10/11/06 at 8:34 am

I"m makinf fish soup tonight and Grut over the wekend.  The fish soup is a thin cream base, very fishy but really good!  The Grut (pronounced groot) is basically a thick rice porridge ...ti's served with butter and cinnnamon, but i like to use pepper too.  It warms you up the Norwegian way- the other Norwegian way is to drink a lot. :)

Written By: Gis on 10/12/06 at 3:18 am

I"m makinf fish soup tonight and Grut over the wekend.  The fish soup is a thin cream base, very fishy but really good!  The Grut (pronounced groot) is basically a thick rice porridge ...ti's served with butter and cinnnamon, but i like to use pepper too.  It warms you up the Norwegian way- the other Norwegian way is to drink a lot. :)
Yes i think that's the German way too! ;D

Written By: McDonald on 10/21/06 at 1:17 pm

Quebec, while not really a country, has very different traditions from the rest of Canada. It's famous for things like Poutine (french fries with brown gravy and cheese curds) and Torti

Written By: Stompgal on 01/16/07 at 4:55 am

I like classic British dishes such as roast dinners (the ones my mum makes), cod and chips, cooked breakfasts with bacon, sausages, baked beans, mushrooms, egg and toast, shephard's pie with cheese and leeks on top (a Delia Smith recipe) and bangers and mash. When I moved to London, I ate roast dinners every Sunday but I declared that I'd nevr eat one again because staff put spices on the meat, which takes away the traditional taste of a Sunday lunch.

Last Sunday my link worker, Eva, made some chicken with a honey, mustard and white wine sauce. I refused to have some because I don't really like the taste of wine. Eva used Hungarian white wine (she's Hungarian) and I could tell by looking at the bottle.

Check for new replies or respond here...