inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Regional Foods

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/12/06 at 2:14 pm

So many of us represent the vast regions that encompass the United States and beyond. Food is a good representation of where we come from. Just out of curiousity, what are some of your region's/state's/city's/country's foods.

I was born and raised in Philadelphia, Pa. We are known for many regional foods.

They would be:

1. The cheesesteak (heaven in a roll)

2. The hoagie (known elsewhere as a sub, grinder, po'boy or hero - but it has regional differences, though)

3. Scrapple (mmm hmm good - savory cornmeal pudding or mush in which the cornmeal is simmered with pork scraps and trimmings - basically whatever's left of the pig ends up here - hence the name scrapple)

4. Tastykake (pastries, quite tasty, don't excuse the pun)

5. Italian Water Ice (or as I and so many people like me say "wooder" ice)

6. Strombolis (delightful - it's like a pizza turnover, but massive)

7. Soft Pretzels (this with some mustard and a wooder ice - you got the perfect summertime matchup)

Okay, I'm hungry and since I can't get this here in CA, I'll just have to go insane.

Subject: Re: Regional Foods

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/06 at 2:53 pm

So many of us represent the vast regions that encompass the United States and beyond. Food is a good representation of where we come from. Just out of curiousity, what are some of your region's/state's/city's/country's foods.

I was born and raised in Philadelphia, Pa. We are known for many regional foods.

They would be:

1. The cheesesteak (heaven in a roll)

2. The hoagie (known elsewhere as a sub, grinder, po'boy or hero - but it has regional differences, though)

3. Scrapple (mmm hmm good - savory cornmeal pudding or mush in which the cornmeal is simmered with pork scraps and trimmings - basically whatever's left of the pig ends up here - hence the name scrapple)

4. Tastykake (pastries, quite tasty, don't excuse the pun)

5. Italian Water Ice (or as I and so many people like me say "wooder" ice)

6. Strombolis (delightful - it's like a pizza turnover, but massive)

7. Soft Pretzels (this with some mustard and a wooder ice - you got the perfect summertime matchup)

Okay, I'm hungry and since I can't get this here in CA, I'll just have to go insane.

I have tried Scrapple and wasn't impressed with it. But those soft pretzels (without the mustard of course-I can't stand mustard) with maybe some cheese sauce-YUMMY!!!

We have:

REAL Maple Syrup-that we use a lot in cooking-not just on pancakes, waffles, etc. (We buy it by the gallon)

Maple Candy/Maple Sugar. The sap is boiled down until you get nothing but sugar. Very, very sweet. You can't eat a lot at once.

Yankee Pot Roast-beef roast cooked together with potatoes, carrots, onions, etc.

Baked Beans-my mother used to make them with REAL maple syrup and bacon.

Lobster-the New England delicacy. No explaination needed.

Maple Cured Ham.

New England Clam Chowder (or any kind of chowder).

I'm sure I will think of others later.

Ok, now what is for dinner tonight?  ;)

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/12/06 at 3:09 pm

I have tried Scrapple and wasn't impressed with it. But those soft pretzels (without the mustard of course-I can't stand mustard) with maybe some cheese sauce-YUMMY!!!

We have:

REAL Maple Syrup-that we use a lot in cooking-not just on pancakes, waffles, etc. (We buy it by the gallon)

Maple Candy/Maple Sugar. The sap is boiled down until you get nothing but sugar. Very, very sweet. You can't eat a lot at once.

Yankee Pot Roast-beef roast cooked together with potatoes, carrots, onions, etc.

Baked Beans-my mother used to make them with REAL maple syrup and bacon.

Lobster-the New England delicacy. No explaination needed.

Maple Cured Ham.

New England Clam Chowder (or any kind of chowder).

I'm sure I will think of others later.

Ok, now what is for dinner tonight?  ;)

Cat

Yes, pretzels with cheese sauce is yummy! I've had many of these foods and I must say New England has many food treasures.

Dinner? Tacos lol

I just had Sushi for lunch (tuna rolls are my favorites)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/06 at 3:56 pm

Yes, pretzels with cheese sauce is yummy! I've had many of these foods and I must say New England has many food treasures.

Dinner? Tacos lol

I just had Sushi for lunch (tuna rolls are my favorites)

Actually, we had tacos last week.  Definately a NE tradition.  :D

Cat

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/12/06 at 4:49 pm

I was born and raised here in Texas.

We're known for our barbecue which includes beef, unlike other areas of the country where pork tends to dominate.  In Central Texas the "holy trinity" of meats is brisket, ribs, and sausage.  Potatoe salad, Spanish rice, and baked beans are all favored with barbecue.  We also have Tex-Mex of course.  Several things distinguish it from authentic Mexican; crispy tacos & flautas, fajitas, chile con carne, chile con queso, and nachos. 

Also,

-Grilled steak
-Texas-style hush puppies differ from the rest of the South in that they are little cylinders, not round. 
-Texas toast
-Traditional Southern food is well-liked of course. 
-Dr. Pepper is the most popular soft drink by far. 
-Mexican cornbread
-Chilli
-Jarritos, a Mexican soft drink with low carbonation that comes in different fruit flavors
-German food has a history in the state too, like German Potato Salad and Sauerkraut

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/06 at 4:56 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/12/06 at 5:27 pm

[quote author=

Written By: whistledog on 06/13/06 at 9:25 pm

Timbits - a bite sized donut ball sold at Tim Horton's locations.  They were created in 1976, two years after Tim Horton passed away.  In America, they are generally called Donught Holes

Butter Tarts - flaky pastry filled with a mix of butter, sugar and eggs.  Generally, they come with raisins, but you can get 'em with other things such as Walnuts, Pecans and Chcolate Chips

Maple Syrup - Real Canadian Maple Syrup, like that of the Maple Syrup made in Northern United States is made from sap.  It is super sweet.  I had some years ago, and I didn't really like it.  There is a popular tourist attraction here that has a sugar shack where you can see the Maple Syrup being made

Written By: Dagwood on 06/14/06 at 7:20 am

Utah, here.

Green jello with carrot shavings and raisins. (gag)

Funeral potatoes.  Hashbrowned potatoes with cheese, cream of mushroom soup and sour cream.  Really delicious.  They are just called funeral potatoes because whenever you go to a funeral in a Mormon church...there they are. ;D

Fry sauce.  I know this isn't popular anywhere else.  It is a mixture of ketchup, mayo and a little mustard.  Great for french fries.

Written By: Gis on 06/14/06 at 10:12 am

Utah, here.

Funeral potatoes.  Hashbrowned potatoes with cheese, cream of mushroom soup and sour cream.  Really delicious.  They are just called funeral potatoes because whenever you go to a funeral in a Mormon church...there they are. ;D

Sounds delicious, I would love to try them. I managed to miss those when I visited Utah  :-\\

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/14/06 at 11:40 am

Here in Hawaii, we have a number of foods that are unique to the area.  I've listed a few.

Poi (ground taro root - can't say I care for it myself!)
Laulau (salted pork and fish wrapped in Ti leaf and steamed)
Poke (pronounced poke-ay) (usually some kind of raw seafood that's been cured in soy, sesame oil, etc.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/14/06 at 11:52 am

Maple Syrup - Real Canadian Maple Syrup, like that of the Maple Syrup made in Northern United States is made from sap.  It is super sweet.  I had some years ago, and I didn't really like it.  There is a popular tourist attraction here that has a sugar shack where you can see the Maple Syrup being made

I could make the argument that Vermont Maple Syrup is much better but I'm sure that someone from New Hampshire or New York would say the same thing about their local syrup.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 06/14/06 at 11:04 pm

Sounds delicious, I would love to try them. I managed to miss those when I visited Utah  :-\\

http://saltlakecity.about.com/od/regionalfood/r/funeralpotatoes.htm

^ Link to the recipe.  I am not sure if you use the metric system, if so hopefully it can be easily converted.  They really are yummy.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/15/06 at 2:09 am

I don't eat meat, so I don't eat Southern food.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/15/06 at 12:53 pm

I don't eat meat, so I don't eat Southern food.

There are plenty of things to eat nonetheless.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/15/06 at 3:36 pm

Southern food is too rich......I never cared for it, even when I did eat meat.  All that deep frying and grease and lard.......blecch.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/15/06 at 3:37 pm

Southern food is too rich......I never cared for it, even when I did eat meat.  All that deep frying and grease and lard.......blecch.

Try some steamed or boiled okra. Not too rich and good for you.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/15/06 at 3:40 pm

Try some steamed or boiled okra. Not too rich and good for you.

I've had it.  I ate it once and yakked up all over the place.  I vowed never to touch the stuff again.

I do like greens, though. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/15/06 at 4:42 pm

For a little while, I dated a guy from Pittsburgh, and what is semi-famous from there is:

Isaly's Chipped Ham and Klondikes - OK let me explain.  Isaly's (was a small family run series of stores, mostly served ice cream, but had luncheon deli meats too.  Chipped ham is super thin-sliced ham, that you put between two slices of white bread.  Simple and yet amazingly scrumptious.  I have no idea what made them so much better tasting then the regular average sub sandwich, just trust me.

Klondikes (which I think were sold elsewhere too) arelittle squares of vanilla ice cream with a thin layer of chocolate on the outside.  Messy to eat after the chocolate starts melting on your fingers but still worth the effort.
Now they sell them in the grocery stores, (and now they have lots of different flavors), but for awhile, the only place you could find them were Isaly's.

Another Pittsburgh tradition was
Primanti Brothers
A Pittsburgh institution, the "almost famous" Primanti Brother's sandwich comes with fries and slaw. What makes it special?  The fries and slaw come in the sandwich, not just with it.

I didn't really care for the Primanti sandwiches, cause basically I like to savour my food, not just scarf it all down in one bite.

Last Pittsburgh tradition (although not as well known) my ex-husband introduced me to was "The O" (stands for The Original Hot Dog Stand), but you don't get hot dogs there, you get a HUGE dish of home-cut fries fried in peanut oil.  It's pretty good.  Haven't been there though for like 5 years or something.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/16/06 at 10:55 am

I know what you mean.  Don't get me wrong I like the stuff, but theres a reason I don't eat traditional Southern cooking regularly. :P

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/16/06 at 11:00 am

Definitely true.  Southern food isn't all meat.  Infact, traditionally at least, in many parts of the South you would fill up more on vegetables than meat.  Greens, black-eyed peas, tomatos, beans, okra, squash, corn etc.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/16/06 at 12:44 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Tam on 06/20/06 at 3:57 pm

Apparently down here (besides BBQ) our regional food is considered TexMex

Whatever the heck that means!!! lol

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/20/06 at 4:49 pm

This is really good link to some info about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tex-Mex_cuisine

Written By: Tam on 06/20/06 at 4:51 pm

Well, in that case our regional foods should be called:

TexMexChinOrean

Texas, Mexican, Chinese and Korean! ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/21/06 at 10:00 pm

Tex-Mex is a distinct offshoot of Northern Mexican cooking with influence from 'Texicans'(the original Texans originally from the South).  Nachos, fajitas, taco salads, tortilla chips, chile con carne, chile con queso, and crispy tacos are all Tex-Mex dishes, not usually found in 'authentic' Mexican cuisine.

Written By: Stompgal on 06/22/06 at 5:35 am

I currently live in Newport, South Wales. Some of my favourite Welsh products are Welsh cakes, Glamorgan burgers and sausages (made from cheese, potatoes and leeks), Swansea mix (a variety of boiled sweets) and Welsh lamb. I also like Real Crisps and Thayer's ice cream that are also made in Wales.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/22/06 at 7:17 am

For a little while, I dated a guy from Pittsburgh, and what is semi-famous from there is:

Isaly's Chipped Ham and Klondikes - OK let me explain.  Isaly's (was a small family run series of stores, mostly served ice cream, but had luncheon deli meats too.  Chipped ham is super thin-sliced ham, that you put between two slices of white bread.  Simple and yet amazingly scrumptious.  I have no idea what made them so much better tasting then the regular average sub sandwich, just trust me.

Klondikes (which I think were sold elsewhere too) arelittle squares of vanilla ice cream with a thin layer of chocolate on the outside.  Messy to eat after the chocolate starts melting on your fingers but still worth the effort.
Now they sell them in the grocery stores, (and now they have lots of different flavors), but for awhile, the only place you could find them were Isaly's.

Another Pittsburgh tradition was
Primanti Brothers
A Pittsburgh institution, the "almost famous" Primanti Brother's sandwich comes with fries and slaw. What makes it special?  The fries and slaw come in the sandwich, not just with it.

I didn't really care for the Primanti sandwiches, cause basically I like to savour my food, not just scarf it all down in one bite.

Last Pittsburgh tradition (although not as well known) my ex-husband introduced me to was "The O" (stands for The Original Hot Dog Stand), but you don't get hot dogs there, you get a HUGE dish of home-cut fries fried in peanut oil.  It's pretty good.  Haven't been there though for like 5 years or something.

thanks for the detailed description of items from the Pittsburgh area, you saved me a lot of typing! LOL!  I will also add a few more things....

Clark Bar
The D. L. Clark Company was born in two back rooms of a house in what is now Pittsburgh's North Side in 1886. The famous Clark candy bar is now an American tradition.

Devonshire Sandwich
This open-face chicken or turkey sandwich was invented here in Pittsburgh by Frank Blandi in 1936 at his first restaurant, the Stratford in Oakland. Blandi also started several other area restaurants, including Le Mont on Mt. Washington.

Heinz Ketchup
Heinz products are another proud Pittsburgh tradition. Heinz founder, Henry Heinz, literally sank his competition in the 1880's when he bought the products and equipment of a competing company and sank them in the Allegheny River!

Iron City Beer
Brewed fresh daily at the Pittsburgh Brewery in Lawrenceville, Pennsylvania, Iron City beer is definitely a Pittsburgh tradition. One of the first true lager beers brewed in the United States.

Pierogies

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 12:12 pm

Very interesting. It's interesting we get so much of American TV, music.etc, yet so little of authentic 'American Cuisine' except for Fast Food down here.

I live in Perth, WA...reallly doubt there's much 'local' West Aussie cuisine, except for what the Aborigines ate before European settlement. Even 'Australian Cuisine' is not that well defined - it's not just 'Bush Tucker', but might include modified English dishes. Some Aussies dishes include Vegemite on toast, lamingtons, pavlovas, shepherd's pie.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/01/06 at 1:17 pm

Cat already listed some New England foods, all of which I like too, but as you may have surmised, I have a Puerto Rican connection (my mother), and I love the food.  The staple is rice served with a red or pink bean gravy.  Add to that pasteles (plantain or yucca dough filled with stew and boiled), bacalitos (fried codfish cakes), tostones, (fried plantain section pressed thin), octopus or conch salad, seviche (raw fish pickled in lemon juice with finely chopped onions and peppers), roast pork...there are sooo many yummy foods.  And of course, topped off with a pina colada, or a shot of my favorit rum, Barrelito (they have a web site).

Check for new replies or respond here...