inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Unusual Foods

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/06 at 10:58 am

What are some of the most unusual foods you have eaten?

For me, I would say, bison, sea urchin, and yeah, I have tried escargo (snails).

Cat

Subject: Re: Most Unusual Foods

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/13/06 at 12:01 pm

Alligator, Frog Legs, and bbq bugs.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/06 at 12:32 pm

Let me guess, they taste just like chicken.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Tam on 06/13/06 at 1:44 pm

I have had alligator and I thought it tasted like pork.

I have also tried ostrich, black bear, beluga whale and caribou

Written By: chaka on 06/13/06 at 2:10 pm

Quail.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/06 at 5:23 pm

Moose. Moose steaks are YUMMY-very, very tender.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 06/13/06 at 5:54 pm

Fried turtle, I didn't know what it was when I was eating it, thought it was pork.  I felt bad after I found out because I love turtles(except snapping turtles and they are just too ugly to eat)  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/13/06 at 7:08 pm

Hmm, what are BBQ bugs?  Or is that a new word for grilled lobster?  (Grilled lobster isn't what I'd call weird, but it's  mighty fine eatin!)

Written By: KKay on 06/13/06 at 7:42 pm

You havent' lived until you have had a school lunch in Japan; all food groups represented.  Veg, fruit cup, salad, and crickets in miso.

I had chicken feet in chilies, I have had goat brains. 

Written By: whistledog on 06/13/06 at 8:59 pm

For me, it was Deer Meat.  One night at work, we had a pot luck, and one of the guys brought some perogies, that had deer meat inside them.  He didn't tell us though until after we'd eaten them  :D

I am glad though.  I probably never would have eaten it had I known it was Deer Meat to begin with

Written By: KKay on 06/14/06 at 8:09 am

For me, it was Deer Meat.  One night at work, we had a pot luck, and one of the guys brought some perogies, that had deer meat inside them.  He didn't tell us though until after we'd eaten them  :D

I am glad though.  I probably never would have eaten it had I known it was Deer Meat to begin with

I have a moose steak in my freezer. 

Written By: danootaandme on 06/14/06 at 4:24 pm

My father used to go hunting and once when I was real small(I'd say about 3 or4) we were sitting at the table
eating and my dad asked us if we liked the meat, and "yes" we said it is very good.  He said "do you know what that is?"  "no", "Well, that is Rudolph you are eating"  can so all of the sudden you have 4 crying kids and I'm sure my mother could have smacked him and I know when he thought about it, he realized it was really the wrong thing to say.    ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/14/06 at 9:50 pm

Naughty trick, springing it on you without telling you what it was. The important question was:  Was it tasty?  If so, Bambi didn't die in vain.

Properly prepared, wild game is wonderful stuff.  Venison steaks, done medium-rare, with a little juniper in the sauce... mmm, awesome.  I've also done antelope.  Nice.  For the tougher cuts, it's OK to make 'em into burgers, but for the more tender cuts, anything less than medallions (i.e. the deer equivalent of filet mignon) is a waste of good meat.

If wild game isn't your thing, ostrich has been farmed commercially, and makes a fine (red-meat, more like beef than turkey or any other bird) burger.  As does buffalo.

Written By: karen on 06/15/06 at 7:39 am

snails, frogs legs and alligator

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/15/06 at 12:51 pm

Let me guess, they taste just like chicken.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Actually, you are right with frog legs.  ;D  :D

Hmm, what are BBQ bugs?   Or is that a new word for grilled lobster?  (Grilled lobster isn't what I'd call weird, but it's  mighty fine eatin!)

Grilled lobster is devine!!

BBQ bugs are bugs that had been processed with bbq flavor like chips.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/15/06 at 4:59 pm

OK, I've tried alligator, frogs legs, rabbit, quail, squab, venison, squirrel, groundhog (disgusting), turtle, wild goose, wild duck and shark.

Written By: jackas on 06/17/06 at 6:43 am

I haven't eaten anything unusual.  My father tricked me into taking a bit of venison once.

I was in the grocery store the other day and saw 'liver pudding'...........  What the heck is that?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/18/06 at 3:21 pm

When I was about 7 or so, I was at my best friend's house. She went into the kitchen while I waited in her room. She came back and asked me if I wanted a cookie. I said, "Sure" and took one from her. When I bit into it, it was pretty yucky and told her that it didn't taste very good. Then she told me what it was-a dog biscuit.  :P  Some friend-but she actually thought she was being nice because she would eat them all the time.  :P :P :P

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/18/06 at 9:27 pm

I've never eaten anything really unusual....just calamari...that's about it! :D

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/19/06 at 3:41 am

Raw sea urchin (yuck, but I ate it -- ONCE), raw oysters (yum!), New Zealand elk (a.k.a. red deer), bison, ostrich, rabbit, venison, marlin, lobster, soft-shell crab, calamari.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/19/06 at 4:31 am

I've had alligator, frog, lobster, raw oysters, crawfish, venison, buffalo, lamb, and goat.

Written By: karen on 06/19/06 at 10:51 am

I've never eaten anything really unusual....just calamari...that's about it! :D

I forgot to add this to my list

and rabbit.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 10:51 am

I consider having garlic-flavoured Philadelphia spread instead of standard Philadelphia cream cheese spread in the sandwich 'weird.' That's about as adventurous olfactorarily speaking I'll ever get.  ;D

Written By: Elizabeth.xox on 07/30/07 at 10:58 pm

Ive had rattle snake

Written By: NbC on 07/31/07 at 4:36 am

Many years ago when I was very young I tried frog legs.  Just tasted, mind you.

Now that I have converted I no longer eat anything usual...unless you count unusual veggies/fruit.  Not that I have ever been adventurous with food.

Written By: spaceace on 07/31/07 at 10:23 am

I was trick into eaten Ostrich burger.  I've had bison and venison.

Written By: Elizabeth.xox on 07/31/07 at 6:03 pm

I was trick into eaten Ostrich burger.  I've had bison and venison.

What did it taste like?

Written By: spaceace on 07/31/07 at 6:06 pm

What did it taste like?

It kind of tasted like store bought turkey burger.  I thought it would have had more of a gamy red meat flavor . . . it didn't.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/31/07 at 7:18 pm

I don't know if this counts, but I've bought and ate jalapeno jelly beans before.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/31/07 at 7:50 pm

Frog Legs, squirrel and caviar.

After I tasted the caviar I resembled Tom Hanks in the movie "Big"; I couldn't get it off my tongue fast enough.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/03/07 at 2:08 pm

I knew this guy who took a trip to Mexico. He stopped at a little restaurant who knows where. He looked at the menu that said, "Meat tacos". He asked the waiter, "What kind of meat? Beef?" The waiter said, "No beef. Just meat." He then ask the waiter, "Pork?" The waiter responded, "No pork. Just meat." Needless to say, the guy did not get the meat tacos.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/14/07 at 10:39 am

Frog Legs, squirrel and caviar.

After I tasted the caviar I resembled Tom Hanks in the movie "Big"; I couldn't get it off my tongue fast enough.  ;D

Caviar is highly over-rated if you ask me.

Years ago one of my dad's rich clients gave him a jar of Beluga Caviar.  I remember we all sat sown at the table, thinking we were about to try something wonderful...we all took one taste and then my mom threw it away.  ;D ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/15/07 at 12:04 am

The most unusual thing I ever ate was some eel when I was 6 or 7 years old. It was cooked by one of my mother's closest friends. I don't remember exactly how it was prepared, but I remember it was REALLY salty.

Written By: haleym8826 on 08/29/07 at 9:55 pm

i have tried barbecued suid before. I gagged and tam made me spit it out before I threw up.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/08/07 at 7:35 pm

I had fried shrimp dipped in strawberry cream cheese yesterday.

Written By: Brigitte on 09/22/07 at 2:38 pm

This is the most unusual stuff I have tried http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Brigitte_B/foods/foodspam.jpg

Written By: karen on 09/29/07 at 9:26 am

This is the most unusual stuff I have tried http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Brigitte_B/foods/foodspam.jpg

Spam is yummy.  My mum used to cook Spam fritters - delicious

Check for new replies or respond here...