inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Canadian Bacon

Written By: Tam on 06/13/06 at 1:43 pm

Ok, I just watched some guy on TV saying that Canadian Bacon doesn't exist in Canada! Does that mean I can't order my favorite CB and Pineapple pizza in Vancouver!  >:( :D ;D

Echo said this in the poutine thread - so I thought I would show Americans and others exactly what REAL CANADIAN BACON is...

http://www.realcanadianbacon.com/images/whole_roast.jpg

It is called Peameal Bacon
"Peameal bacon is made from boneless pork loins, short cut from the leaner portions of the loin, to ensure a more uniform product. External fat is trimmed to within 1⁄8 inch. Smokeless and tender, this product is sweet pickle-cured and rolled in a traditional golden cornmeal coating, maintaining the processing tradition of real Canadian peameal bacon."

Most Canadians laugh when restaurants claim to have Canadian Bacon, and they bring out fried, round deli ham!
Peameal bacon rocks and is so good tasting, once you have it you will never want the imitaion again!!!

Subject: Re: Canadian Bacon

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/13/06 at 2:07 pm

Ah ha! So you guys do have Canadian Bacon!  ;D
Seriously though thanks for the information. I guess no matter where, the further one goes from a food's point of origin, the less authentic it gets. For instance, take Mexican food in Iowa. While it isn't bad, being originally from southern Arizona I know that authentic Mexican food doesn't have THAT much potato in them. For some reason Iowan's think that Mexican foods should be 1\2 potato based!  ???

That ham does look tasty by the way.

Written By: Tam on 06/13/06 at 2:21 pm

Seriously though thanks for the information. I guess no matter where, the further one goes from a food's point of origin, the less authentic it gets. For instance, take Mexican food in Iowa. While it isn't bad, being originally from southern Arizona I know that authentic Mexican food doesn't have THAT much potato in them. For some reason Iowan's think that Mexican foods should be 1\2 potato based!  ???

In Texas there are Mexican restaurants that aren't even really Mexican! Like you said - who puts that much potatoes in a Mexican dish!
The other thing they seem to use a lot of is pasta... tons of pasta!

While peameal bacon is cooking, it fills the entire house with the aroma of ham! I personally, cannot stand ham but the bacon makes a sane person go nuts!!! ;D

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/13/06 at 3:20 pm

In Texas there are Mexican restaurants that aren't even really Mexican! Like you said - who puts that much potatoes in a Mexican dish!
The other thing they seem to use a lot of is pasta... tons of pasta!

While peameal bacon is cooking, it fills the entire house with the aroma of ham! I personally, cannot stand ham but the bacon makes a sane person go nuts!!! ;D

I've never had real C.Bacon fried up (like you said, down here's it's really deli slices) so I know what I'm getting for breakfast if I head up there anytime soon  :).

Actually there's one thing I do which I imagine Canadians do with their ham as well, and I learned it in Arizona! That's to pour maple syrup on slices of ham, especially if the ham is fried in a skillet. I've been spoiled and find it less enjoyable eating ham without syrup.

Written By: Tam on 06/13/06 at 3:28 pm

I've never had real C.Bacon fried up (like you said, down here's it's really deli slices) so I know what I'm getting for breakfast if I head up there anytime soon  :).

Actually there's one thing I do which I imagine Canadians do with their ham as well, and I learned it in Arizona! That's to pour maple syrup on slices of ham, especially if the ham is fried in a skillet. I've been spoiled and find it less enjoyable eating ham without syrup.

Some of us do pour Maple Syrup on our ham. But it has to be real maple syrup - no imitation stuff. ;)
Some of us also slice a hole down the center of the ham and crack an egg into it, cook it and pour syrup all over it.
My grandmother used to put just plain ole honey all over hers

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/06 at 5:26 pm

Some of us do pour Maple Syrup on our ham. But it has to be real maple syrup - no imitation stuff. ;)
Some of us also slice a hole down the center of the ham and crack an egg into it, cook it and pour syrup all over it.
My grandmother used to put just plain ole honey all over hers

Oh man, you are making me hungry. Nothing like Canadian bacon (or just normal bacon for that matter) smothered in REAL maple syrup.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 06/13/06 at 9:05 pm

http://www.realcanadianbacon.com/images/whole_roast.jpg

I love real Canadian Bacon, but it can get quite expensive, so I usually just buy regular bacon

Most of the restaurants I go to that have it on the menu, claim it's real Canadian Bacon (Back Bacon, if you wish), but I know a Ham when I see one.  They can't fool me so easily.  I know what's Canadian and what isn't ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/14/06 at 1:09 am

Canadian Bacon is great and I must agree with the use of maple syrup. It enhances it.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 06/15/06 at 4:11 pm

For instance, take Mexican food in Iowa. While it isn't bad, being originally from southern Arizona I know that authentic Mexican food doesn't have THAT much potato in them. For some reason Iowan's think that Mexican foods should be 1\2 potato based!  ???

It IS Iowa.....what did you expect?  ;) :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/16/06 at 11:00 am

That is what one of my best friends calls "psudo-Mexican".  ;D

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 06/16/06 at 11:57 am

Ha, so there IS a difference.

Pork Loin is really good.. but I can't see me enjoying it on pizza.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/17/06 at 1:10 am

I'm "multireplying" for this one.

Posted by: Mama_K 
It IS Iowa.....what did you expect?   

Posted on: June 16, 2006, 11:00:37 AMPosted by: CatwomanofV
That is what one of my best friends calls "psudo-Mexican". 

Actually what I'm refering to is a popular Midwestern-Mex chain based in Iowa called "Taco John's". Among other things on their menu include putting potato logs into most of their burrito's as well as the main side dish "potato ole".

Posted by: Tubeway General 
Insert Quote
Ha, so there IS a difference.

Pork Loin is really good.. but I can't see me enjoying it on pizza.

It's a popular pizza ingredient up here. For some reason it seems to go with pineapple.

Check for new replies or respond here...