inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Raw oysters

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/19/06 at 3:35 am

This past week, a friend of mine cooked some sea clams "rare" and I tried them --- they were actually quite tasty, so I said that I'd be willing to give raw oysters a try.  He went to a seafood supplier he trusted and got a bunch of fresh oysters --- then he split 'em open, cut the muscle that holds the little bastards in their shell, and sprinkled 'em with fresh-squeezed lemon juice and a touch of cocktail sauce.  I lifted one of those raw bivalves-on-the-half-shell up to my mouth, tilted it back, and gave what slid into my mouth a good chewing and tasting before swallowing ...

... AND I LOVED IT !!!  ;D

We got more the next day, and I quickly chewed-up & downed 10 fresh raw oysters (again, with a little lemon & cocktail sauce) ... man, those are TASTY !!!    ;D

Subject: Re: Raw oysters

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/19/06 at 4:20 am

Yes, they are!

Raw oysters on the half shell have been a favorite of mine for several years, since I first tried them in Houston. 

Heres another way to try eating them(this is how I do it):  Scoop the oyster onto a saltine cracker, then squeeze on some lemon juice, put on some redsauce, and a dab of horseradish THEN eat it.  Its SO good this way, especially with an ice-cold beer.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/19/06 at 11:30 am

Oysters are the one shellfish that I can't stand. I have tried them raw, roasted, fried, etc. and hated them any way they were cooked (or not).

Cat

Written By: Tam on 06/19/06 at 12:16 pm

For years I was allergic to shellfish and last year the test came back non-reactive.
However, I still get squeamish at the thought of breaking out in hives all over so I tend to stay away from any type of seafood.
I wish I had the nerve to try though.

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/19/06 at 12:57 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/19/06 at 1:08 pm

http://bayarea.typepad.com/bayarea/DSC01213.JPG
http://www.hotelconcourse.com.hk/html/eng/images/photos/fresh%20oyster.jpghttp://www.milfordoysterfestival.org/images/2005%20Milford%20Oyster%20Festival%20072.jpg

Written By: KKay on 06/19/06 at 2:37 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Apricot on 06/21/06 at 5:29 am

I think it's a family thing.. minus my uncle who loves all seafood, everyone in my family hates oysters. I've never had one, so I really don't know.. can anyone compare the taste to anything else, and tell me about the texture and whatnot?

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/21/06 at 10:49 am

I'm not a huge fan of oysters, however when we go to St. George Island, Florida I always eat a few.  You can see the guys in the bay catching them so I know they're super fresh.  I like them roasted with some lemon and butter.

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/21/06 at 2:33 pm

I think it's a family thing.. minus my uncle who loves all seafood, everyone in my family hates oysters. I've never had one, so I really don't know.. can anyone compare the taste to anything else, and tell me about the texture and whatnot?

The flavor is very mild ... reminds me of macadamia nuts.  The texture is similar to that of a poached egg.

Written By: Apricot on 06/21/06 at 3:11 pm

The flavor is very mild ... reminds me of macadamia nuts.  The texture is similar to that of a poached egg.

That sounds... disgusting, actually. ;D

I'll try it at some point, though.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/21/06 at 3:15 pm

The texture is similar to that of a poached egg.

If you happen to be eating chewy, slimy poached eggs!!  LOL!!  ;)

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/21/06 at 3:59 pm

That sounds... disgusting, actually. ;D

I'll try it at some point, though.

Good for you!  ;D  Be brave!  ;D  To quote Blue Oyster Cult, "Don't Fear The Seafood" !

If you happen to be eating chewy, slimy poached eggs!!  LOL!!   ;)

You ate chewy, slimy oysters?  I don't know where you got YOUR oysters, but the fresh raw oysters I eat are neither chewy nor slimy --- they're soft & delicious.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/21/06 at 4:08 pm

How anyone can eat that is beyond me.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/21/06 at 4:11 pm

Good for you!   ;D   Be brave!   ;D   To quote Blue Oyster Cult, "Don't Fear The Seafood" !

You ate chewy, slimy oysters?  I don't know where you got YOUR oysters, but the fresh raw oysters I eat are neither chewy nor slimy --- they're soft & delicious.

I was just joking!

Actually, I got my oysters right of the boat in Florida.  Can't get any fresher than that, unless I went and caught them myself.  I did that with scallops once, walked in the bay and caught my own.  Talk about tasty! 

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/21/06 at 9:51 pm

How anyone can eat that is beyond me.

Put it in your mouth, chew, swallow, repeat. ;) ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/21/06 at 9:54 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/21/06 at 10:03 pm

Bah!  Its good.  Plus its practice. ;D  Figure that one out.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/21/06 at 11:38 pm

[quote author=

Written By: danootaandme on 06/22/06 at 5:26 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/01/06 at 12:49 pm

There's an old saying eat (non-mercury polluted) fish, live longer, eat oysters, love longer.  I LOVE oysters any way I can get them, raw, broiled (especially in a mushroom cap covered with a strip of bacon), fried, even pickled.  Scrumptious!  But alas, Cat hates them so I don't bring them home. 

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/01/06 at 4:17 pm

There's an old saying eat (non-mercury polluted) fish, live longer, eat oysters, love longer.  I LOVE oysters any way I can get them, raw, broiled (especially in a mushroom cap covered with a strip of bacon), fried, even pickled.  Scrumptious!  But alas, Cat hates them so I don't bring them home. 

Y'know, amigo, you can get 'em smoked in a little can similar to a sardine tin ... then you could sneak out to the garage and chow down when your feline sweetie isn't looking ...  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/01/06 at 4:56 pm

Y'know, amigo, you can get 'em smoked in a little can similar to a sardine tin ... then you could sneak out to the garage and chow down when your feline sweetie isn't looking ...  ;)

He has lots of those little cans that he can eat any time he wants to. However, if there are cans of the smoked clams, those are mine.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/01/06 at 5:28 pm

I love oysters, raw or steamed!!

Written By: deadrockstar on 07/03/06 at 10:40 am

I don't need practice.  ;)

Well, I WOULD make a Mrs. Robinson joke but then I'd be stealing from you. ;D

::)  man-oh-man

;D ;D Gah, I'm dirty.

Written By: Johnny_D on 12/20/06 at 2:19 pm

I had some raw oysters at a holiday dinner party this past weekend ... YUMMM !!!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/20/06 at 2:28 pm

GROSS!

Written By: Johnny_D on 12/20/06 at 2:31 pm

GROSS!

You mean, one hundred forty-four fresh delicious raw oysters?  I'LL TAKE 'EM!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...