inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who is your favorite famous cook/chef?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/20/06 at 7:42 pm

I would have to say that my favorite is Rachael Ray. She's very cute, sassy, and down to earth...and her recipes are easy to follow.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMiPJn5hEhEkBtxWjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=127chs5gc/EXP=1150939465/**http%3a//www.acloo.com/blog/images/rachaelRayFHM3.jpg

Subject: Re: Who is your favorite famous cook/chef?

Written By: whistledog on 06/20/06 at 8:21 pm

Giada De Laurentiis, the Granddaughter of Dino De Laurentiis.  She is very nice looking, and always has her cleavage hanging out ;D
The odd time if I am channel surfing and stumble across her show "Everyday Italian", I will watch it.  The food she always makes looks soooo good 8)

http://www.ontaponline.com/photos/042005/giada_large.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/20/06 at 10:12 pm

Of all time:  Julia Child, for teaching me (and millions like me) that you can eat a $20-100/meal every night for $5-10 if you cook it yourself.  And that cooking it yourself is easier than it looks.  Rest in peace, Julia. 

Current: Alton Brown.  Giada and Rachael are cuter, but Alton tells you why it works.

If you have the budget and shelf space for but one cookbook, get Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. You'll be riffing off those culinary grooves for the rest of your life.  That goes double if you've never used anything more complicated than a microwave before in your life.

Written By: whistledog on 06/20/06 at 10:19 pm

Current: Alton Brown.  Giada and Rachael are cuter, but Alton tells you why it works.

Yeah, but Alton doesn't look good in a dress ;D

He is a good chef though.  I've seen him a few times :)

Written By: jackas on 06/20/06 at 11:08 pm

Barefoot Contessa has some nice stuff, but I wouldn't say she's my fav.  Michael Chiarello is interesting to watch.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/21/06 at 12:14 am

Alton Brown is pretty down to earth and I like that.

I used to watch the chef, Justin something. He was cajun and would always say I guhrantee!!! I loved his show! I also liked the Frugal Gourmet.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/21/06 at 12:17 am

Rachael Ray.  I get a lot of my recipes from her.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/21/06 at 12:34 am

Alton Brown is pretty down to earth and I like that.

I used to watch the chef, Justin something. He was cajun and would always say I guhrantee!!! I loved his show! I also liked the Frugal Gourmet.

I used to watch those two...Justin Wilson "How y'all are?" and the Frugal Gourmet, Jeff Smith.

I also like "How to Boil Water", not the new one but one that was on some years ago, with some young guy...Sean Donnellan, I think.

Written By: Tam on 06/21/06 at 12:42 am

hmmm....
Hard decision.

I like Stephen Yan, he is Chinese/Canadian and had a show in the 80's called "Wok With Yan"
His understudy at the time is the now semi-famous Martin Yan who now hosts his own show "Yan Can Cook"
The two are not related.

Of course I had to choose a Chinese Chef - because next to anything Pasta, Chinese is a favorite to me for sure!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ea/Wok.jpeg/180px-Wok.jpeg

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/21/06 at 12:45 am

Rachael Ray (She's pretty easy to follow)

Jamie Oliver (Love his accent)

Tyler Florence (He has a sense of humor too and is just nice to look at  ;D )

Then there is a show I catch infrequently called The Surreal Gourmet The chef on that is Bob Blumer.  I like his show.  He travels the US in an Airstream travel trailer that is modified to look like a toaster.  I love the oddness.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/06 at 1:10 am

Nancy Lam, who never does a live TV programme.

Written By: jackas on 06/21/06 at 11:30 am

I used to watch the chef, Justin something. He was cajun and would always say I guhrantee!!! I loved his show!

LOL  I think I remember this guy.  Wasn't he an older man and he measured everything with his hand?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/06 at 11:51 am

Is Graham Kerr, "The Galloping Gourmet" still around?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/21/06 at 12:34 pm

I used to watch those two...Justin Wilson "How y'all are?" and the Frugal Gourmet, Jeff Smith.

I also like "How to Boil Water", not the new one but one that was on some years ago, with some young guy...Sean Donnellan, I think.

Thank you!!! Yup, that's them.

LOL  I think I remember this guy.  Wasn't he an older man and he measured everything with his hand?

He sure did, which I tend to do myself!! lol

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/21/06 at 12:44 pm

Is Graham Kerr, "The Galloping Gourmet" still around?

Oh, I used to watch him when I was a kid, my mother and I sitting on her bed watching him cook with tons of butter, wine and cream!

He was back on a few years ago, but he changed his way of cooking.  He used healthy things instead of the high fat stuff.  Not sure of the name of that show.

Written By: whistledog on 06/21/06 at 2:55 pm

hmmm....
Hard decision.

I like Stephen Yan, he is Chinese/Canadian and had a show in the 80's called "Wok With Yan"
His understudy at the time is the now semi-famous Martin Yan who now hosts his own show "Yan Can Cook"
The two are not related.

Of course I had to choose a Chinese Chef - because next to anything Pasta, Chinese is a favorite to me for sure!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ea/Wok.jpeg/180px-Wok.jpeg

I remember both those shows of his.  He always made the best looking Chinese food  :)

Written By: gemini on 06/21/06 at 6:00 pm

I would have to say that my favorite is Rachael Ray. She's very cute, sassy, and down to earth...and her recipes are easy to follow.

Yep, I like her too. She always seems to make something that I would actually cook.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/22/06 at 12:49 am

Oh, I used to watch him when I was a kid, my mother and I sitting on her bed watching him cook with tons of butter, wine and cream!

He was back on a few years ago, but he changed his way of cooking.  He used healthy things instead of the high fat stuff.  Not sure of the name of that show.

It's called Graham Kerrs Kitchen, and it's shown on the American Life network.
http://www.goodtv.com/programs.php?programid=GK

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/06 at 1:03 am

It's called Graham Kerrs Kitchen, and it's shown on the American Life network.
http://www.goodtv.com/programs.php?programid=GK

Brilliant, so why aren't these shows shown in the UK?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/22/06 at 2:00 am

Brilliant, so why aren't these shows shown in the UK?

Um...I dunno.  I don't think they are that old.  Maybe a year or so (if that).  I know that the stuff I see on BBC America now has been on Brit tv YEARS ago, so maybe the exchange is a little slow.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 12:24 pm

Not Jamie Oliver or Nigella Lawson, lol

Written By: Gis on 06/23/06 at 3:28 am

Gordon Ramsey, he's a fantastic chef even though he swears way too much ! His show 'The F Word' is brilliant and funny.
Nigel Slater is brilliant,Jamie Oliver, Gary Rhodes and Delia Smith are good too. Nigella Lawson is great to watch but she uses way too much sugar in her cooking.
Loads of my friends at work are disciples of Hugh Fernley Whitingstall and his River Cottage series of programmes and books.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/06 at 12:23 pm

Loads of my friends at work are disciples of Hugh Fernley Whitingstall and his River Cottage series of programmes and books.
Hedgehogs?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/23/06 at 1:19 pm

Carlos.  ;D ;D  Oh, FAMOUS cooks/chefs. In that case, Julia Child.

Cat

Written By: 80sforever on 06/23/06 at 1:41 pm

Alton Brown  :)

Subject: Who is your favorite famous cook/chef?

Written By: Dude111 on 11/04/20 at 7:20 am

Mine is Julia Child (When she did it by herself.... When she started having guests it sucked)

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/04/20 at 5:24 pm

I like Katie Brown. The stuff she does, how she looks, how she sounds. Also how she grew up about 10 miles from here. Yeah I got a thing for her.

I also like Christopher Kimball. More when he was on Cooks Country and Test Kitchen. I like how he explained the science of cooking. Makes it much more interesting for this engineer who doesn’t know how to cook.

Written By: nally on 01/18/21 at 11:51 pm

I like her too; she's lotsa fun, in a sense.

Emeril Lagasse has his entertaining ways as well, with "Kick it up a notch", "Happy happy", and "BAM!" (Yes, it's been 20 years since his famous cooking show, "Emeril Live", was active on the Food Network, but in my mind it lives on.)

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/05/21 at 12:31 pm

I'm old school, so Julia Child,  still the Queen.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/06/21 at 7:52 pm

Giada! Like me, she's very neat cooking meals.

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/12/21 at 2:00 am

I also liked Chef Tell and Mr. Food.

Check for new replies or respond here...