inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Ethnic Food/Cuisine

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/21/06 at 9:48 am

One good thing about a diverse world is that you get many aspects of it in life. One important aspect is food. What's your favorite ethnic cuisine? Though I've listed the more available options, feel free to list those I've left out.

Mine are:

Creole
Soul Food
Japanese
Italian
Chinese

Subject: Re: Favorite Ethnic Food/Cuisine

Written By: KKay on 06/21/06 at 10:51 am

mine are indian, thai and other asian foods....I love malay and phillipino

Written By: La Roche on 06/21/06 at 10:57 am

Indian, Thai, Chinese, Italian and Mexican from the list.

However, I am a big fan of Laotian, Vietnamese, and Slavic dishes.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/21/06 at 12:27 pm

Indian, Thai, Chinese, Italian and Mexican from the list.

However, I am a big fan of Laotian, Vietnamese, and Slavic dishes.

I love Vietnamese Spring Rolls!!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/21/06 at 12:51 pm

Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, and Mexican.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/21/06 at 12:55 pm

Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, and Mexican.

I think I'll have Sushi for lunch today!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/21/06 at 1:00 pm

I think I'll have Sushi for lunch today!!!

I have been craving Greek food lately....I love stuffed grape leaves and would love to learn how to make them, so that I can always have them. YUMMY!

Written By: La Roche on 06/21/06 at 1:01 pm

I love Vietnamese Spring Rolls!!!!

So much nicer than those awful spring rolls that crop up in supposed chinese resteraunts.

My Grandfather lived in Thailand for quite some time and spent a lot of time in Vietnam. He loves the Vietnamese food and showed me all manner of lovely things. Although, Thai Rice Bugs are one of the few things I haven't yet tried. They're bugs about the size of a cell phone, you bite the head off and suck out the rice inside of them.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/21/06 at 2:03 pm

Italian
Mexican
Indian

(...in that order!)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/21/06 at 3:04 pm

Chinese
Indian
Italian
Cajun
Greek

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/21/06 at 5:37 pm

I have been craving Greek food lately....I love stuffed grape leaves and would love to learn how to make them, so that I can always have them. YUMMY!

I've found that a great greek salad is perfect as a summer meal

So much nicer than those awful spring rolls that crop up in supposed chinese resteraunts.

My Grandfather lived in Thailand for quite some time and spent a lot of time in Vietnam. He loves the Vietnamese food and showed me all manner of lovely things. Although, Thai Rice Bugs are one of the few things I haven't yet tried. They're bugs about the size of a cell phone, you bite the head off and suck out the rice inside of them.

They are definitely lighter!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/21/06 at 6:40 pm

Mexican
Chinese
Italian

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/21/06 at 7:46 pm

I've found that a great greek salad is perfect as a summer meal

that sounds really good! When I was away on vacation I had this really good Greek wrap...it was loaded with yummy stuff! :P

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/21/06 at 9:58 pm

I voted for Chinese, Indian, Italian, Mexican, and Spanish.  However I also really like Thai, French, Middle Eastern, Cajun, Creole, Greek, and Caribbean.  The ones on this list I really DON'T like are English, German, Irish, and Japanese.

I'm telling you guys, you don't know what you're missing with Spanish food.  Its an underappreciated cuisine in North America.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 12:20 pm

I haven't sampled enough cuisines to really say. I like some Italian, but there's too much tomato and cheese overall. Quite like Japanese and some Chinese, Southeast Asia like Malaysia, Middle Eastern - I guess anything that's tasty and not too exotic.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/22/06 at 4:58 pm

Can I vote for "All of the above"?  ;D ;D

I did vote for Chinese, Italian, Mexican, Spanish (Puerto Rican-of course ;) ) and Greek. I also like Thai, Japanese, Kosher, Middle Eastern, German, and probably many, many more. I LOVE food!!!

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/22/06 at 6:21 pm

I've eaten a wide range of Asian cuisine. Everything from Thai to Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Afghani, Persian, Filipino, Hawaiian, and Middle Eastern, (even African), etc.

I also LOVE Italian, Mexican, Spanish influenced, and some German dishes *as my grandmother is full blood German*

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/22/06 at 6:27 pm

I said both types of Spanish, Mexican, Italian, and French.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/22/06 at 7:02 pm

I did vote for Chinese, Italian, Mexican, Spanish (Puerto Rican-of course ;) ) and Greek. I also like Thai, Japanese, Kosher, Middle Eastern, German, and probably many, many more. I LOVE food!!!

Cat

I just added that option!  :)

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/22/06 at 10:37 pm

I chose Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Italian, Soul food , and Cajun. :P  mmmmm

Written By: Davester on 06/24/06 at 5:54 am

Japanese cuisine (of the ones I've tried.)

Chilled buckwheat soba with dipping sauce and, of course, miso soup...

Of course I also enjoy Americanized Chinese food product and Americanized Itallian food product and, also, Americanized Mexican food product...

Written By: Stompgal on 06/24/06 at 8:18 am

Chinese (most items exept sweet and sour or very spicy food), Mexican (everything except hot peppers, guacamole and chilli con carne), Thai (green curries), Italian (pizza and pasta are tops) and American (because I like TGI Friday's).

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/24/06 at 1:24 pm

Cat

Of course you do your a cat! :D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/24/06 at 2:18 pm

I've eaten a wide range of Asian cuisine. Everything from Thai to Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Afghani, Persian, Filipino, Hawaiian, and Middle Eastern, (even African), etc.

I also LOVE Italian, Mexican, Spanish influenced, and some German dishes *as my grandmother is full blood German*

Since when was Hawaii in Asia?  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/24/06 at 5:31 pm

Of course you do your a cat! :D

;D ;D

Cat

Written By: haleym8826 on 06/24/06 at 5:53 pm

;D ;D

Cat

I just looked at your signature. Do you watch Charmed?

Written By: spaceace on 10/15/06 at 6:23 pm

I love Spanish (Cuban, Puerto Rican), Irish, we have an Irish Pub here and they also serve Irish cuisine.  I'm guessing no one said Panamanian.  I had a few freinds from Panama growing up and boy could Mom cook. :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/15/06 at 9:43 pm

I just looked at your signature. Do you watch Charmed?

I believe Cat is a practioner of Wicca, actually.

Written By: KKay on 10/16/06 at 9:08 am

I can't have enough Indian food- I LOVE Sri Lankan!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/16/06 at 9:55 am

I had just bitten into a grape when I read this.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/barf.gif

Actually, my father-in-law was stationed in Thailand for 18 months and told me about this practice.  I'd rather starve...

btw, I picked Chinese, Thai, Italian and Mexican. 

Written By: La Roche on 10/16/06 at 3:45 pm

I had just bitten into a grape when I read this.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/barf.gif

Actually, my father-in-law was stationed in Thailand for 18 months and told me about this practice.  I'd rather starve...

btw, I picked Chinese, Thai, Italian and Mexican. 

I want a rice bug now!!

You didn't pick Indian, you jerk!

Written By: Step-chan on 10/16/06 at 4:31 pm

The only ones I can think of that I've had are Italian, Mexican, Japanese and Chinese(but I'm pretty picky with what I'll eat from them), so those are the types I like.

Written By: McDonald on 10/20/06 at 6:05 pm

I chose....

French
German
Japanese
Mexican
Kosher

Seriously folks, how am I the only one to pick Kosher...? You haven't lived until you've had a bagel and lox sandwich or a bowl of steamy matzo ball soup. And the challah! Oy!

I absolutely LOVE German food, because my Oma cooked it all the time. It's so homey and delicious, and it DEMANDS a frosty beer to wash it down.

French food is fantastic, you just don't get any more sinful than that. Butter; they use lots and lots of butter. And wine.

Having lived in Texas for so long, how could I not love Mexican food? It's an obsession.

Japanese is awesome. I feel so healthy after eating sushi. And besides being terrific, it gives me one hell of a protein high without all the cholesterol of, say, a French or German meal.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/20/06 at 6:06 pm

Seriously folks, how am I the only one to pick Kosher...?

Maybe because you're the only person to eat it on a consistent basis?  I've had challah bread, but I've had it maybe twice....so I wouldn't call it my favorite cuisine. 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/20/06 at 8:00 pm

Maybe because you're the only person to eat it on a consistent basis?  I've had challah bread, but I've had it maybe twice....so I wouldn't call it my favorite cuisine. 

I agree. I like kosher hot dogs, but I can't say it's representative of constantly eating kosher meals.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/20/06 at 8:03 pm

I agree. I like kosher hot dogs, but I can't say it's representative of constantly eating kosher meals.

Mmmm, nothing like a Hebrew National with some mustard. 

Written By: McDonald on 10/21/06 at 12:16 am

Hebrew National is not the extent of Kosher foods. I'm talking about traditional European Jewish cuisine, which never included hot dogs. And I don't eat it on a persistent basis, just because it's not popular enough to be widely available where I have lived in the past years. But to me the question was asking what some of my favourites are, not what I eat most often.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/21/06 at 1:38 am

Mmmm, nothing like a Hebrew National with some mustard. 

Now you are talking.

Hebrew National is not the extent of Kosher foods. I'm talking about traditional European Jewish cuisine, which never included hot dogs. And I don't eat it on a persistent basis, just because it's not popular enough to be widely available where I have lived in the past years. But to me the question was asking what some of my favourites are, not what I eat most often.

I see what you are saying. But to many, myself included, Kosher foods are not as readily available to those who don't see it as often like Chinese, Italian, or the like.

Written By: Davester on 10/21/06 at 3:50 am

Hebrew Nationals are some tasty dogs...

Don't forget Claussen dills.  Yummy..! :)

Kosher laws have always been a mystery to me.  I see "K" with the word "PARVE" underneath on the packaging we use.  Never really gave it a second thought.  Must be some Masonic thing, or somesuch, like "REG US PAT OFF".  What does it mean..?

Written By: McDonald on 10/21/06 at 1:10 pm

Hebrew Nationals are some tasty dogs...

Don't forget Claussen dills.  Yummy..! :)

Kosher laws have always been a mystery to me.  I see "K" with the word "PARVE" underneath on the packaging we use.  Never really gave it a second thought.  Must be some Masonic thing, or somesuch, like "REG US PAT OFF".  What does it mean..?

Parve means that the product you're looking at is acceptable to eat with either meat or dairy dishes. A food product is either meat, dairy, or parve. The rules governing what is Kosher and what isn't were created to protect the early Jewish people from foodborne illnesses. Hence, meats like pork, deer, and shellfish are forbidden most likely due to the complications present in safely handling, storing, and cooking those meats in a historical context. Kosher meats like beef and poultry must be handled and prepared in specific ways. And lastly, meat and dairy products must NEVER come into contact with one another, neither in preparation of meals nor in consumption, which means a cheeseburger could never be kosher as long as you're using real beef and real cheese. Usually in kosher kitchens, there are seperate facilities and seperate cooking/eating ware for meat and dairy dishes.

I'm not Jewish, and I certainly don't keep kosher... however, I worked for over two years in a Kosher restaurant as a teenager, which is why I am very familiar with the rules and why I have come to love the cuisine.

Written By: Davester on 11/28/06 at 4:11 am

Parve means that the product you're looking at is acceptable to eat with either meat or dairy dishes. A food product is either meat, dairy, or parve. The rules governing what is Kosher and what isn't were created to protect the early Jewish people from foodborne illnesses. Hence, meats like pork, deer, and shellfish are forbidden most likely due to the complications present in safely handling, storing, and cooking those meats in a historical context. Kosher meats like beef and poultry must be handled and prepared in specific ways. And lastly, meat and dairy products must NEVER come into contact with one another, neither in preparation of meals nor in consumption, which means a cheeseburger could never be kosher as long as you're using real beef and real cheese. Usually in kosher kitchens, there are seperate facilities and seperate cooking/eating ware for meat and dairy dishes.

I'm not Jewish, and I certainly don't keep kosher... however, I worked for over two years in a Kosher restaurant as a teenager, which is why I am very familiar with the rules and why I have come to love the cuisine.

I'm very  late, kwikey..!

Hey thanks for that info, Mickey-D.  It is interesting.  Kosher laws appear to be a mix of time honored religious tradition and contemporary food safety...

Parve: Pareve in Yiddish:

"Prepared without meat, milk, or their derivatives and therefore permissible to be eaten with both meat and dairy dishes according to dietary laws.."
              ~The Free Dictionary

Check for new replies or respond here...