inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gelato

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/26/06 at 8:49 pm

What's your favorite flavor? I love raspberry, cannola, and gianduia.

Subject: Re: Gelato

Written By: Step-chan on 06/27/06 at 11:14 am

I've never had Gelato, I've heard of it though. What's it made out of?

I know it's sort of related to ice cream(in the fact that it's a frozen dessert).

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/27/06 at 11:20 am

Gelato is an Italian frozen dessert made from milk and sugar, combined with other flavorings, like Strawberry and Lemon (my faves).  It's not like Ice Cream b/c there's no cream in true gelato (so make sure that's it's the real deal). The only similarity is that it's frozen. I like it.

I don't eat it outside of NY and Philly for quality reasons.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/27/06 at 11:48 am

Well, I did mean the relation was just because it's frozen(nothing more). ;)

I live in Indianapolis and know of a place that has it, but I haven't eaten there.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/27/06 at 3:33 pm

Well, I did mean the relation was just because it's frozen(nothing more). ;)

I live in Indianapolis and know of a place that has it, but I haven't eaten there.

hahaha, don't take me seriously!!! No harm, no foul at all! lol

Written By: Step-chan on 06/27/06 at 3:35 pm

hahaha, don't take me seriously!!! No harm, no foul at all! lol

Well, I wasn't being very serious. Nor was I mad. ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/27/06 at 3:53 pm

Gelato is an Italian frozen dessert made from milk and sugar, combined with other flavorings, like Strawberry and Lemon (my faves).  It's not like Ice Cream b/c there's no cream in true gelato (so make sure that's it's the real deal). The only similarity is that it's frozen. I like it.

I don't eat it outside of NY and Philly for quality reasons.

Or Boston, say. Jersey's gelato is quite good. The rule of thumb with Italian food (for me, pizza counts too, though Chicago isn't bad) is not to go outside the BosBal corridor (Boston to Baltimore.) Where there are no Italians, Italian food stinks.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/27/06 at 4:04 pm

Well, I wasn't being very serious. Nor was I mad. ;)

;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/27/06 at 4:05 pm

Or Boston, say. Jersey's gelato is quite good. The rule of thumb with Italian food (for me, pizza counts too, though Chicago isn't bad) is not to go outside the BosBal corridor (Boston to Baltimore.) Where there are no Italians, Italian food stinks.

hahahah I do have to agree.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/27/06 at 5:14 pm

Well, I live in Indiana, so I don't have any particular options. :D

Written By: nally on 09/14/06 at 12:26 pm

I'm part Italian, and I've had gelato before...so I enjoy it. :)

Written By: Step-chan on 09/16/06 at 3:30 pm

I'm part Italian, and I've had gelato before...so I enjoy it. :)

I've been wondering...

What types of flavors are there?

I know there are probably flavors that are also ice cream flavors, but would like to know if there are any flavors unique to Gelato.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/18/06 at 6:39 pm

I've only had gelato in Italy, but my fave over there was from a little shop in Rome that made "custom" flavors......chocolate/espresso bean was my absolute FAVE :P

Written By: Step-chan on 10/10/06 at 2:07 pm

I've only had gelato in Italy, but my fave over there was from a little shop in Rome that made "custom" flavors......chocolate/espresso bean was my absolute FAVE :P

Too bad I can't afford to go to Italy.

Written By: spaceace on 10/10/06 at 8:33 pm

Rita's Italian Ice has Gelato!!!!  Needless to say I'm an addict!!! 8) 8)

Written By: nally on 10/12/06 at 12:09 pm

Too bad I can't afford to go to Italy.

I can't really afford to either. My mom went to Europe 31 years ago, and I believe she visited Italy. Of course, that was a verrrry long time ago.

Written By: Marian on 10/12/06 at 1:05 pm

I like all of them;I usually get chocolate,spumoni,strawberry,and mocha.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/12/06 at 1:15 pm

I do know of a place in the downtown mall near where I live that has it, but I've never ate there.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/26/07 at 1:56 pm

I've had this, it's very good. Probably raspberry or strawberry.

Written By: nally on 03/08/15 at 7:25 pm

I've had three kinds: chocolate, vanilla, and hazelnut... and cannot really single any of them out because they all taste really good in one way or another. :)

Written By: Ripley on 03/09/15 at 11:17 am

I have tried it but I honestly can't remember which flavour.  I remember it was good though.

Written By: nally on 08/03/18 at 11:57 pm

Lately I've been trying more kinds of gelato, and enjoyed 'em. O0

Written By: nally on 01/21/19 at 5:04 pm

Lately I've been trying more kinds of gelato, and enjoyed 'em. O0

In fact, during the past 6 months or so, there is a gelato place fairly close to where I live, that I've been going to on a semi-regular basis. They have lots of interesting flavors to choose from.

Written By: Blue Monday on 01/24/19 at 6:05 pm

Thanks for the reminder about Gelato; I haven't had this for a while, but in some cases prefer it to traditional ice cream. 

I know there are some Gelato places where you can get this, but the next time I go shopping I'll see if they have it there.

Here's an interesting article:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/news/2015/06/gelato-vs-ice-cream-whats-the-difference

Written By: nally on 10/08/19 at 12:07 am

Thanks for the reminder about Gelato; I haven't had this for a while, but in some cases prefer it to traditional ice cream.

In many cases I do too. O0

I know there are some Gelato places where you can get this, but the next time I go shopping I'll see if they have it there.

And lately I have been visiting one place in particular (actually, this one franchise -- TIFA -- has 3 locations, all off Highway 101... in Agoura Hills, Westlake Village, and Camarillo).

Here's an interesting article:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/news/2015/06/gelato-vs-ice-cream-whats-the-difference

O0

Written By: nally on 03/27/22 at 9:42 pm

In many cases I do too. O0

And lately I have been visiting one place in particular (actually, this one franchise -- TIFA -- has 3 locations, all off Highway 101... in Agoura Hills, Westlake Village, and Camarillo).

O0

They have a wide variety of flavors to choose from, btw. I'm sure there are other gelato eateries elsewhere.

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/31/22 at 7:25 pm

Well, I live in Indiana, so I don't have any particular options. :D

There aren't very many places that sell Gelato. Everyone I know is all vanilla, chocolate and strawberry, and maybe cookies n cream. Italian ices are similar to Gelato, but without the cream.

Written By: nally on 04/01/22 at 11:46 pm

There aren't very many places that sell Gelato. Everyone I know is all vanilla, chicolate and strawberry, and maybe cookies n cream. Italian ices are similar to Gelato, but without the cream.

Maybe it's just more common in some areas than in others.

Written By: Ripley on 11/19/22 at 6:01 pm

Strawberry

Check for new replies or respond here...