inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How about sushi?

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/01/06 at 1:21 pm

I love it, especially umo (sea urchin).  Hard to find in Vermont at affordable prices, but in LA there are several resaurants that feature all you can eat suchi for like $20 per person (drinks extra).  These were must visits whenever we were in LA.  Our favorit also featured a cooked food bar, so Cat was also ok with it.

Subject: Re: How about sushi?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/01/06 at 1:23 pm

The only foods I eat raw are vegetables and fruit.

Written By: Davester on 07/01/06 at 1:35 pm

I love it, especially umo (sea urchin).  Hard to find in Vermont at affordable prices, but in LA there are several resaurants that feature all you can eat suchi for like $20 per person (drinks extra).  These were must visits whenever we were in LA.  Our favorit also featured a cooked food bar, so Cat was also ok with it.

Hiya, DC!  Good to see you...

Around these parts we have a chain of buffet-style Japanese restaraunts called "Todai"...Hmm, I think it's nearly $40 per person for dinner and maybe half that for lunch.  Let me tell you...go there hungry..!  Wall-to-wall sushi and sashimi and every other Japanese delicacy you can think of...

Love it all: maguro, chutoro-maki, ika, unagi, etc...

Written By: Marian on 07/01/06 at 1:44 pm

Hiya, DC!  Good to see you...

Around these parts we have a chain of buffet-style Japanese restaraunts called "Todai"...Hmm, I think it's nearly $40 per person for dinner and maybe half that for lunch.  Let me tell you...go there hungry..!  Wall-to-wall sushi and sashimi and every other Japanese delicacy you can think of...

Love it all: maguro, chutoro-maki, ika, unagi, etc...
I went to todai once before they got stricter with the "free birthday " deal.Now,I think,you have to be with 2 paYING ADULTS.I'm not a large person.I can't eat up their profits! ::) ???

Written By: Davester on 07/01/06 at 1:52 pm

I went to todai once before they got stricter with the "free birthday " deal.Now,I think,you have to be with 2 paYING ADULTS.I'm not a large person.I can't eat up their profits! ::) ???

Whenever I go to Todai it's my birthday... :D

Written By: Step-chan on 07/01/06 at 2:18 pm

I've had sushi before, but only once. I want to have some again as soon as I can.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/01/06 at 4:02 pm

Never tried it, not so sure if I could eat it. 

Living in Southwest Virginia I have a difficult time buying seafood in general because I know it's not the freshest in the world.  The thought of eating it raw is not very appealing. 

Maybe the next time I'm in NY I'll get my brother-in-law to take me to the place he usually goes to. 

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/01/06 at 4:19 pm

Good for you, dude!  Sea urchin is the ONLY kind of sushi I've ever eaten, and once was enough. 

Raw oysters, on the other hand ... YUMMMMMM !!!!!  ;D 

I also enjoy oysters smoked or fried, too ... and fried calamari?  Rrrrrowwwrrrr....  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/01/06 at 5:24 pm

I love sushi!!! Give me a good tuna roll anyday!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/01/06 at 9:05 pm

I've never had sushi...but I'd be willing to try it. :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/02/06 at 12:31 am

Sushi is the greatest... You've gotta try California Rolls, Erin!

One day, if we ever meet!!

Written By: Davester on 07/02/06 at 3:05 pm

California Rolls!?  That's not sushi, silly...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/02/06 at 4:01 pm

It's awesome! I was fearful or apprehensive about trying it years ago, but once I did, i got hooked. The one thing I don't like is fake crabmeat. I love the California rolls. I get the little rice rolls that have slivers of cucumber, and ahi tuna or shrimp or salmon. The rice squares with a nice thin slice of very fresh RAW ahi tuna or salmon is excellent, and I like to dip mine in soy sauce mixed with wasabi. I've never tried the sea urchin and not sure if I will. Is it strong tasting Carlos? anyway here is a pic of sushi

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5qcYMKhEaRoAj16jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12unvj4sc/EXP=1151959448/**http%3a//www.thesushisite.com/sitebuilder/images/CoolSushiPic005-434x650.jpg

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/02/06 at 7:11 pm

That's not true sushi. It is Americanized form. There's no raw fish in it whatsoever.

Badfinger-fan, never mix wasabi in your soy sauce. It's bad form to do so.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/02/06 at 8:16 pm

That's not true sushi. It is Americanized form. There's no raw fish in it whatsoever.

true Tanya, the california rolls aren't sushi, but the pieces in the pic I displayed with the tuna and salmon are and I love those, and I will try to remember the wasabi thing if I'm in a situation where I need to show good form, but otherwise i am eating it the way it tastes good to me  ;D I guess it's like going to get a hot dog with a newyorker and puttin ketchup on it instead of mustard?  that's bad form right? And this is the first time I've heard of the wasabi soy sauce rule, but then all my sushi has been takeout.  8)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/02/06 at 8:16 pm

true Tanya, the california rolls aren't sushi, but the pieces in the pic I displayed with the tuna and salmon are and I love those, and I will try to remember the wasabi thing if I'm in a situation where I need to show good form, but otherwise i am eating it the way it tastes good to me  ;D I guess it's like going to get a hot dog with a newyorker and puttin ketchup on it instead of mustard?  that's bad form right? And this is the first time I've heard of the wasabi soy sauce rule, but then all my sushi has been takeout.  8)

NEVER PUT KETCHUP ON A HOT DOG.  MUSTARD AND MUSTARD ONLY.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/02/06 at 8:17 pm

it's a date!! ;)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/02/06 at 8:18 pm

it's a date!! ;)

I wanna go! I wanna goooooo!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/02/06 at 8:20 pm

I wanna go! I wanna goooooo!!!

you can join the lunch date as well! :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/02/06 at 8:31 pm

or when gettin a hotdog with someone from Chicago  ;D  I hear ya Sister, mustard is the answer
but the wasabi rule must be a Japanese thing that I am not privvy to, but now I am.    but I ain't changing my way  ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/02/06 at 8:32 pm

or when gettin a hotdog with someone from Chicago  ;D  I hear ya Sister, mustard is the answer
but the wasabi rule must be a Japanese thing that I am not privvy to, but now I am.    but I ain't changing my way  ;)

If you ask for ketchup on your hot dog in Chicago, you'll get dirty looks.  I've seen it happen.  As for wasabi, I tried some before and got violently ill.  Guess I won't be trying it again any time soon. 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/02/06 at 8:34 pm

Yeah, it's a form of sushi "etiquette" that many Americans aren't aware of. No worries though. But, if you ever go out w/ me to a sushi restaurant, no mixing! lol

Here, here - lol ketchup is just wrong on a hot dog!!! My hubby and son loves ketchup on hot dogs. Ew.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/02/06 at 8:37 pm

Yeah, it's a form of sushi "etiquette" that many Americans aren't aware of. No worries though. But, if you ever go out w/ me to a sushi restaurant, no mixing! lol

Here, here - lol ketchup is just wrong on a hot dog!!! My hubby and son loves ketchup on hot dogs. Ew.
I will abide by the "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" philosophy Tanya. So the wasabi is used at full strength/straight /uncut  :o 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/02/06 at 8:38 pm

I will abide by the "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" philosophy Tanya. So the wasabi is used at full strength/straight /uncut  :o   

lol, very manly! My hero!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/02/06 at 8:44 pm

lol, very manly! My hero!
sure, just make sure I've got something to drink when it clears my sinuses & chokes me out  ;D 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/02/06 at 9:00 pm

sure, just make sure I've got something to drink when it clears my sinuses & chokes me out  ;D   

I will provide the aqua!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/02/06 at 9:34 pm

I will provide the aqua!
thank, that sounds good, and I was readin Carlos's intro to this thread and his favorite sushi was sea urchin and I looked it up and was somewhat surprised.  Those are some bizarre creatures, to be sure. But if Carlos likes it, I'd be game to try some at least once.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/03/06 at 12:06 pm

Off topic a bit. As those who says about mustard only on hot dogs. As a kid growing up in NY State, I was taught that you put ketchup on hamburgers and mustard on hot dogs. I HATED hot dogs. As I got older, I realized that it wasn't the hot dogs I hated but the mustard. I now put ketchup on them and I love them. But, I still HATE mustard.

Ok, back to topic. As Carlos said, I don't like sushi. I have tried it (different kinds) but still don't like it. I wish I did actually. When we go out for sushi with the kids, they all love it and I can see that they are all enjoying it but it is not my thing. So, in a way I feel left out because I don't like it. But when we go to that resteraunt that Carlos mentioned, there is enough for me to eat and enjoy. I also love seeing Carlos enjoying himself. I have mentioned many times that I eat more than he does-EXCEPT when we go to that resteraunt. I have never seen him eat so much. He usually makes about 4 trips up.  :o

Cat

Written By: Davester on 07/03/06 at 12:47 pm

Salad wrapped in nori.  Good with ranch... ;)

Oops, guilty as charged...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/03/06 at 2:06 pm

Salad wrapped in nori.  Good with ranch... ;)

Oops, guilty as charged...

lol - no harm, no foul!! You are on probation, lol!

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 10:05 pm

Love sushi.  Especially unagi.  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/06/06 at 3:17 pm

You can find sushi of just about any kind here in Hawaii because of the large number of Japanese people...

I like quite a few varieties, but draw the line on eating anything with raw seafood in it...yuck!  :P

Written By: Paul on 07/06/06 at 3:53 pm

Never had it...it all looks a bit 'tarty' to me (What are you paying for? The decoration?)

Nope...if it's seafood...then bring on the cockles, whelks, jellied eels, etc.  :D

Written By: Step-chan on 07/06/06 at 4:56 pm

I hate mustard myself, so the only things I'll put on a hot dog are ketchup or a can of chili.

:D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/06/06 at 5:01 pm

Never had it...it all looks a bit 'tarty' to me (What are you paying for? The decoration?)

The Japanese folks are really big on food presentation!

Here's something that will probably make you laugh...

When I was a kid of about 10, I thought that sushi was rice wrapped in electrical tape!  :o ;D

It wasn't until I was a teenager that I realized the 'electrical tape' was actually seaweed!  :-Nope...if it's seafood...then bring on the cockles, whelks, jellied eels, etc.  :D

Are you saying you like ^ that stuff?!!  ???

Written By: Paul on 07/06/06 at 5:10 pm

The Japanese folks are really big on food presentation!

So it seems!

Here's something that will probably make you laugh...

When I was a kid of about 10, I thought that sushi was rice wrapped in electrical tape!  :o ;D

You mean it isn't?  :o

It wasn't until I was a teenager that I realized the 'electrical tape' was actually seaweed!  :-Are you saying you like ^ that stuff?!!  ???

You...

...betcha!

I was brought up on it (although most people would probably 'bring it up'!)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/06/06 at 5:20 pm

So it seems!

Oh, it's very true!  I've been to Japan a couple of times and I've seen it for myself!  :D

You mean it isn't?  :o

LOL!  ;D

Fiendishly clever, these Japanese!

Indeed!

You...

...betcha!

I was brought up on it (although most people would probably 'bring it up'!)

Not sure if I could 'stomach' some of those things you mentioned... :-[

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/09/06 at 11:35 pm

OK Tanya, Friday night we had some sushi at a place called Sushi-Teri in a town called Carpinteria on California's central coast. I had my favorite, the spicy tuna rolls and I used straight, pure, uncut wasabi, with a slice of pickled ginger and it rocked. I had a 6 piece plate so I did 3 like that, and 3 my way with soy sauce. It was all good. I wish I had some right now. I also had the teriyaki beef, and a wonderful finely shredded cabbage salad and a bowl of rice and there was not a speck of food left on my plate, it was so good.
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5wvp1rFEviUA2S2jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12vj6bi3j/EXP=1152591977/**http%3a//www.sushiorders.com/Images/Sushi%2520photos,%2520Spicy,%2520Tuna.jpg

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/10/06 at 11:01 am

OK Tanya, Friday night we had some sushi at a place called Sushi-Teri in a town called Carpinteria on California's central coast. I had my favorite, the spicy tuna rolls and I used straight, pure, uncut wasabi, with a slice of pickled ginger and it rocked. I had a 6 piece plate so I did 3 like that, and 3 my way with soy sauce. It was all good. I wish I had some right now. I also had the teriyaki beef, and a wonderful finely shredded cabbage salad and a bowl of rice and there was not a speck of food left on my plate, it was so good.
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5wvp1rFEviUA2S2jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12vj6bi3j/EXP=1152591977/**http%3a//www.sushiorders.com/Images/Sushi%2520photos,%2520Spicy,%2520Tuna.jpg

It sounds quite tasty!!! I'm glad that you enjoyed it!!!

Written By: rich1981 on 07/10/06 at 11:08 pm

I like sushi a lot, particularly California rolls with some wasabi on the side.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/11/06 at 12:13 pm

I like sushi a lot, particularly California rolls with some wasabi on the side.

I can't take wasabi (or any kind of horseradish, for that matter)...it just ruins the food, IMO!  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...