inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When your food wriggles, crawls or does anything else it shouldn't

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/04/06 at 4:27 am

Tell us about your experiences...

I've been unlucky enough to eat a honey sandwich - full of ants (they taste quite nice, actually  ;)), Weevils in my rice, and of course the usual bits of hair and other unwelcome objects in my food. I'm often wary of eating soup at restaurants for this very reason..

Subject: Re: When your food wriggles, crawls or does anything else it shouldn't

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/04/06 at 10:32 am

Yeah, there is nothing like biting into an ear of corn and seeing a little worm (or worse-half a worm) sticking out.

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/04/06 at 10:42 am

Don't any of you check your food before you stick it in your mouth?

Written By: whistledog on 07/04/06 at 10:50 am

How do you know you are in a bad restaurant?

There is some soup in your bowl of flies ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/04/06 at 10:53 am

Don't any of you check your food before you stick it in your mouth?

Worms on corn can hide under the kernels. You don't see them until the kernel is off the cob.

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/04/06 at 11:00 am

Worms on corn can hide under the kernels. You don't see them until the kernel is off the cob.

Cat

See, I can't eat corn on the cob, but not for that reason.  It just reeks havoc on my mouth, so we always cook them and then take the kernels off the cob, so I've never had a problem like that.  But that statement also applies to people finding stuff in sandwiches, soups, salads......don't you check you food?  I always do.

Written By: Tam on 07/04/06 at 12:05 pm

When I was younger - my dad took me to the fair and we had a great time. He bought us food from on eof the stands... he had a hamburger and I had a hot dog. Half way through his hamburger he bit into and pulled out a rubber band!

As for checking my food... I normally scan it but there is no way I am going to tear meat apart or anything else for that matter and then try to put it back together and eat it. Too time consuming and when I am hungry.... damnit I am hungry!!! Don't even get me started on melted cheese cause if I am going to pick through the whole thing to try and find something then I deserve to find something FOR REAL!

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/04/06 at 6:40 pm

Biggest disappointment of my culinary life:  A fish I'd caught myself. 

Looked great on the outside.  Big enough that we could filet it and not feel guilty about wasting anything. 

Which was a good thing, because we wouldn't have found the worms if we hadn't cut it open before cooking it.

Which was a bad thing, because we didn't filet it until long after everything had closed.

Marshmallows are great over an open fire.  So's beer.  But they're meant to be eaten and drunk while you're waiting for the fish to cook, not as a substitute for the fish. 

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/13/08 at 8:09 am

THis topic is soooooooooooooo gross it has to be revived.  8-P

Unfortunately I have somethings to add. 
:P

Little green inchworms in my fresh broccoli (organic from my garden - yes I had washed it)  I have not been able to eat raw broccoli since

Little green inchworms cooked in my frozen cauliflower (yes from my garden again)

And my hard shell taco shells, the little brown dots were moving; yes there were little itty bitty red ants on the shells  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/repuke.gif

Written By: karen on 08/13/08 at 5:38 pm

I once found a couple of maggots (or similar) in amongst my calamari in a Greek restaurant.

A maggoty thing in the cauliflower I was dishing up.  My mum said to give that piece to my dad!

black flies on the (home grown) broccoli after I'd eaten some of it.

codling moths larva in the plums from the tree in the garden.

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/08 at 9:25 pm

The trick is to bring your own bugs to the restaurant.  When no one is looking, pour them over your food and then scream.  If you're lucky, you'll get a refund or another plate of food for free.  If you're unlucky, then the manager is wise to your tricks and calls the cops, so that's when you skip out on the bill ;D

Written By: Brigitte on 08/13/08 at 10:18 pm

And my hard shell taco shells, the little brown dots were moving; yes there were little itty bitty red ants on the shells  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/repuke.gif

LSD?

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/14/08 at 6:39 am

LSD?

Unfortunately this was no hallucination.  The little suckers bit back :(

Written By: SpaceHog on 08/14/08 at 12:30 pm

I've had a wolf spider baked into a pizza once.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/14/08 at 4:55 pm

Dang! Y'all are making me scared to eat anything!  :(

But I do remember one reallly freaky thing from when I was about 6 years old.

It was summer and mother had taken me swimming in the public pool at the local park and we were on our way. Like any chilld, when I saw the local grocery store going by, I begged my mother to buy me some ice cream. She said okay.

So we go into the store. (I'm still dripping in my swinsuit too! LOL! All over the floor) We go over to the ice cream/sherbert freezer. At the time it was a huge bin that rose out the floor. My mother went to the far end for and started picking out a vanilla gallon.
I busied myself peeking in at that sherberts close to me.

I'll never forget it.

There, in a gallon tub of lime sherbert was the back end of a giant cockroach!

AND THE (BLEEP) WAS STILL MOVING!

I pointed it out to my mother, and she dropped her ice cream, picked me up and ran out the store. We bought our ice cream elsewhere and I haven't boguth food from that store since. (And I'm 22 now!)

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/14/08 at 8:06 pm

I've had a wolf spider baked into a pizza once.

I like anchovie and onion pizza, but hold the wolf spiders please! :-\\

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/14/08 at 8:20 pm

AND THE (BLEEP) WAS STILL MOVING!

I pointed it out to my mother, and she dropped her ice cream, picked me up and ran out the store. We bought our ice cream elsewhere and I haven't boguth food from that store since. (And I'm 22 now!)

Now that is just gross!  Good thing it wasn't Rocky Road may have mistaken for chocolate covered nut!

Check for new replies or respond here...