inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Greek Food

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/06 at 9:34 am

Does anyone else like Greek food as much as I do?

There's nothing like spinach pies and stuffed grape leaves...mmmm.

Does anyone have any greek recipes they would like to share?

Subject: Re: Greek Food

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/05/06 at 11:46 am

I like lamb, gyros, and an occasional greek salad. Is that enough?  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/06 at 12:28 pm

I like lamb, gyros, and an occasional greek salad. Is that enough?  :)

totally! :) ;)

Written By: Davester on 07/05/06 at 12:49 pm

Yeah, Gyros here, too...

That's like...well, you know...sorta Greek, isn't it..?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/06 at 1:33 pm

The Greek food you get here in the States is not (or rarely) authentic. I was in Greece and had the BEST Greek food in the world.  ;) In Greece, what you get in a Greek salad is tomato, cukes, onion, grapes, feta, olive oil and seasonings. There is no lettuce in an authentic Greek salad. I have had a Greek salad here in the States that had Italian dressing on it-rather than just the olive oil.

As for Gyros (or Pitas as they are called in Greece), yeah they are good but I find the ones here in the States are mild compared to the ones in Greece. In Greece, they are loaded with onions and garlic that really give them a robust tastes. I wouldn't have gotten one if I had to be socialable that day.  ;) Of course it hard to find any place that will cook REAL souvlaki.  Most of what you find in the States is just beef-which is not REAL souvlaki.  It is usually meat of some sort, beef, lamb, pork or 'unknown' that is on a giant vertical rotisserie.

If anyone ever gets to Greece, in Corinth there is a place called Jax (if it is still there). They make a ham and cheese sandwich to DIE for!! It is the bread. It is actually more like a pastery than bread. I used to get it with a slice of tomato. YUMMY!!!!

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/05/06 at 3:32 pm

Athenian roasted chicken, saganaki, baklava.  I could live on that stuff.  I thought I had my friend's baklava recipe (she's Greek and from Chicago like me!), but I can't find it at the moment.  When I do, I'll post it.  :)

Written By: searching1980s on 07/05/06 at 3:38 pm

A chicken recipe that is really easy.  Wash the chicken pieces and lay them out in a roasting pan with or without the insert to raise them out of the drippings -- with insert/without drippings is better.  Salt and pepper with quality spices.  Cover with thick sliced onions, any color, and sprinkle with cayenne pepper and a little sweet cinnamon.  Roast as usual.  When done, squeeze fresh lemon over it all.  Can't be beat.  Leftovers good boned and served cold in fresh pita with marinated black olives and yogurt/cucumber soup on the side.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/05/06 at 3:40 pm

I had Greek neighbors growing up, so I had plenty of authentic Greek food.  My favorites are Spanakopita (Spinach Pie) and Falafel.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/05/06 at 3:54 pm

The Greek food you get here in the States is not (or rarely) authentic. I was in Greece and had the BEST Greek food in the world.  ;) In Greece, what you get in a Greek salad is tomato, cukes, onion, grapes, feta, olive oil and seasonings. There is no lettuce in an authentic Greek salad. I have had a Greek salad here in the States that had Italian dressing on it-rather than just the olive oil.

As for Gyros (or Pitas as they are called in Greece), yeah they are good but I find the ones here in the States are mild compared to the ones in Greece. In Greece, they are loaded with onions and garlic that really give them a robust tastes. I wouldn't have gotten one if I had to be socialable that day.  ;) Of course it hard to find any place that will cook REAL souvlaki.  Most of what you find in the States is just beef-which is not REAL souvlaki.  It is usually meat of some sort, beef, lamb, pork or 'unknown' that is on a giant vertical rotisserie.

If anyone ever gets to Greece, in Corinth there is a place called Jax (if it is still there). They make a ham and cheese sandwich to DIE for!! It is the bread. It is actually more like a pastery than bread. I used to get it with a slice of tomato. YUMMY!!!!

Cat

If you want authentic Greek food in the States, you'd have to go to the Greektown in your city.  The Greektown in Chicago is well-known.  If you're ever there, eat at the Parthenon.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/06/06 at 4:16 pm

If you want authentic Greek food in the States, you'd have to go to the Greektown in your city.  The Greektown in Chicago is well-known.  If you're ever there, eat at the Parthenon.

Greektown Locations-
Astoria, NYC (it's in Queens)
Baltimore
Detroit
Chicago

Written By: Paul on 07/06/06 at 4:59 pm

In Greece, what you get in a Greek salad is tomato, cukes, onion, grapes, feta, olive oil and seasonings. There is no lettuce in an authentic Greek salad. I have had a Greek salad here in the States that had Italian dressing on it-rather than just the olive oil.

Oh, I adored these!

I did try making my own in the similar fashion, but it wasn't quite the same...

Of course it hard to find any place that will cook REAL souvlaki.  Most of what you find in the States is just beef-which is not REAL souvlaki.  It is usually meat of some sort, beef, lamb, pork or 'unknown' that is on a giant vertical rotisserie.

These were fantastic too! I pigged out on these big time when I was in Rhodes...

Same with the Moussaka, but I think the Turks claim equal responsibility for this dish...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/06/06 at 5:03 pm

Same with the Moussaka, but I think the Turks claim equal responsibility for this dish...

My folks used to make Moussaka on special occasions and it turned out quite well!  :D

Written By: Paul on 07/06/06 at 5:06 pm

My folks used to make Moussaka on special occasions and it turned out quite well!  :D

I've never attempted making one (there'd be carnage in the kitchen if I did!)

But I'm getting very 'tempted'...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/06/06 at 5:16 pm

I've never attempted making one (there'd be carnage in the kitchen if I did!)

But I'm getting very 'tempted'...

Why not try?  :D

Written By: Dagwood on 07/09/06 at 9:21 pm

I love Souvlaki

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/10/06 at 4:19 am

Oh, hell, yeah!

I LOVE me some Greek food!
My 1st fiancee was Greek, and she introduced me into it.

Moussaka, baklava, dolmas, gyros with baba ghanouj, hummus.....

Great food to eat, and quite erotic to use in other activities!

Seriously, though- being an epicurean (as I have been recently accepted into The Epicurean Society), on the application, we were to list what main ethnic food we favored, and I chose Greek, as it's my absolute favorite, above all else!
In fact, my birthday (this Friday) dinner is to be a Greek dinner, because my wife asked me what I want, and she said she will do it, no matter what.

Written By: Stompgal on 03/11/07 at 1:58 pm

My favourite Greek main meal is Moussaka, a dish made from aubergines and lamb. I also like Greek youghurt, especially with fruit and honey.

Written By: gumbypiz on 03/30/07 at 2:51 pm

Greek food is one of my favorites!

I've lived in both Detroit and Columbus, OH, both have large Greek communities and Detroit has a well established Greek Town.

Heres a question, does anyone here have a authentic recipe for the lamb/beef meat for Gyros pita's?

I've looked around the net and haven't seen anything that seems to be a REAL Greek recipe.
Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/11/07 at 1:52 am

I'm suddenly craving stuffed grape leave...like, OMG. ;D :D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/11/07 at 2:48 am

I'm suddenly craving stuffed grape leave...like, OMG. ;D :D

I made some, for the first time about 2 weeks ago.
They were a little moist, but came out pretty well.

I also made Greek Turkey Gyros.
Those came out excellent! All authentic Greek products (except the turkey), and it was just devilishly good!

-Even my Mom, who isn't much on Greek food, had more than one!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/05/08 at 3:28 am

Ate lunch at Sultan's Bistro, today.

I went with a Mediterranean Platter-

Falafel, dolmas w/tziziki sauce, hummus, baba ghanouj, Basmati rice, small salad w/Greek viniagrette, feat cheese & tahini.

I love me some Greek food!

Subject: Re: Geek Food

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/08 at 5:29 am

Side tracking for the moment, I read this thread as Geek Food.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/05/08 at 8:39 am

Ate lunch at Sultan's Bistro, today.

I went with a Mediterranean Platter-

Falafel, dolmas w/tziziki sauce, hummus, baba ghanouj, Basmati rice, small salad w/Greek viniagrette, feat cheese & tahini.

I love me some Greek food!

OMG...I'm SOOO jealous!! :D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/05/08 at 10:33 am

OMG...I'm SOOO jealous!! :D

I swear, they make the best Greek & Turkish-style food.

Their "Turkish Delight" & baklava are killer, too!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/05/08 at 10:41 am

I swear, they make the best Greek & Turkish-style food.

Their "Turkish Delight" & baklava are killer, too!

There is this greek restaurant in Pittsburgh that I heard about...I MUST try it..I'm craving grape leaves SO much! :P

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/05/08 at 11:34 am

There is this greek restaurant in Pittsburgh that I heard about...I MUST try it..I'm craving grape leaves SO much! :P

Erin wants some dolmas!
Erin wants some dolmas!

http://sp1.mm-a11.yimg.com/image/202201516

Written By: karen on 02/05/08 at 12:32 pm

There used to be a great Greek restaurant in the town where I used to live.  Sadly it closed down a number of years ago.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/05/08 at 1:26 pm

There used to be a great Greek restaurant in the town where I used to live.  Sadly it closed down a number of years ago.

Get them to open another one, in your area.

IMHO, no town is complete without a Greek restaurant.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/08 at 3:46 pm

The Greek restaurant I used to go to in Wardour St has shut down too!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/05/08 at 9:41 pm

Erin wants some dolmas!
Erin wants some dolmas!

http://sp1.mm-a11.yimg.com/image/202201516

OMG..I totally do!! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...