inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kettle Corn

Written By: Southern Image on 07/05/06 at 3:39 pm

I bought 3 bags of warm kettle corn yesterday, while we sat waiting for fireworks. I can't believe how addicting this stuff is, especially warm. It seemed we couldn't get enough of this salty/sweet goodness.

Anyone else like it?

Subject: Re: Kettle Corn

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/05/06 at 3:42 pm

It's one of those foods I can only eat if I'm in the right environment.  I wouldn't eat it at home sitting on the couch, but if I'm at a fair or carnival, I LOVE the stuff.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/06 at 3:43 pm

Please excuse my igorance but what is Kettle Corn?

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/05/06 at 3:55 pm

Orville Redenbacher's Kettle Corn is addictive.  I eat all the time, so much so that I don't like regular popcorn anymore.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/05/06 at 3:55 pm

Please excuse my igorance but what is Kettle Corn?

Cat

From Wikipedia:

Kettle corn is a sweet-and-salty variety of popcorn that adds granulated sugar, salt, and oil.

In the 1700s, kettle corn was introduced to colonial palates in the United States. The corn was popped in iron kettles and then sweetened with sugar, honey, and sometimes molasses before adding salt. The combination was widely popular in the early 1800s but fell from wide usage during the 1900s. In the early 2000s, it has made something of a comeback in America and, as of 2006, it can be purchased at fairs and flea markets throughout the United States, as well as at grocery stores under the Orville Redenbacher, Act II, and other brand names.

Its flavor is not overwhelmingly sweet such as that found in caramel corn or cotton candy. The contrast between kettle corn's subtle sweetness combined with its salt flavoring has endeared it to many. Additionally, nutritionists point out that it has less fat and less sodium than most popcorn flavorings.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/05/06 at 4:16 pm

It's greeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

Written By: whistledog on 07/05/06 at 5:10 pm

I tried the microwave Popping Kettle Corn.  It was great 8)

Usually though, when I'm going to eat popcorn, I go for the flavoured kind with the little pouch of butter sauce that you dump all over it. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/05/06 at 5:12 pm

I tried the microwave Popping Kettle Corn.  It was great 8)

Usually though, when I'm going to eat popcorn, I go for the flavoured kind with the little pouch of butter sauce that you dump all over it. 

That must be a Canadian thing because when you buy butter popcorn here, the butter is already in the bag.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/05/06 at 5:14 pm

That must be a Canadian thing because when you buy butter popcorn here, the butter is already in the bag.

Orville Redenbacher makes a popcorn with "pour over butter"(little pouch of fake butter).

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/05/06 at 5:14 pm

Orville Redenbacher makes a popcorn with "pour over butter"(little pouch of fake butter).

I've never heard of that!  I buy O.R. popcorn a lot and I've never seen it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/06 at 5:35 pm

I don't like microwavable popcorn. I make it old fashion way-on the stove. And there have been a few times when every kernel popped.  :o :o

Cat

Written By: Southern Image on 07/05/06 at 5:38 pm

I don't like microwavable popcorn. I make it old fashion way-on the stove. And there have been a few times when every kernel popped.  :o :o

Cat

Thats the way I like to make it as well. I like to hear the kernels hit the lid and make the "ping" sound. LOL

Written By: gemini on 07/05/06 at 6:06 pm

I love kettle corn! You have to get the kind that's made in the big kettle at the fair or other outdoorsy kind of place. It's much better than the microwave stuff!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/06 at 6:58 pm

My dad is crazy about this stuff!! No matter what fair or festival we all go to...he always has to stop by the Kettle Corn stand! LOL!  I like it..but don't love it.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 9:37 pm

Kettle corn ROCKS 8)

Written By: whistledog on 07/08/06 at 1:22 pm

I've never heard of that!  I buy O.R. popcorn a lot and I've never seen it.

The butter comes in a foil pouch in flavours like Cheese, BBQ, Ultimate Butter, Sour Cream and Onion, and Cinnamon (the latter which is only in the USA apparently).  When your popcorn is done popping, you just pour it over top

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0007SNZL6.01-A3RW63R5A3NKMJ._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Written By: HunkyDory on 07/11/06 at 3:27 pm

I have to limit myself to one bag at a fair and other places it is served

Written By: danootaandme on 07/11/06 at 3:54 pm

I tried it, spit it out, and threw away the whole bag.  Absolutely hate it.  :P

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/06/06 at 3:10 pm

Thanks for buying me a bag at Farmers Market the other day  :)

Written By: nally on 02/04/08 at 10:50 pm

I used to not like Kettle Corn the first time I tried it...but it didn't take me long to get used to the taste. Now I like the stuff.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/04/08 at 11:00 pm

I used to not like Kettle Corn the first time I tried it...but it didn't take me long to get used to the taste. Now I like the stuff.

It is the best when freshly popped, nice and hot. When we go to festivals and such, we sometimes buy a bag of it.

Written By: nally on 02/04/08 at 11:51 pm

It is the best when freshly popped, nice and hot. When we go to festivals and such, we sometimes buy a bag of it.

Sure is! 8) In fact, we often heat it up in the microwave here at home. I like to eat it right after we remove it from the bag and pour it into a big bowl.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/05/08 at 8:42 am

Sure is! 8) In fact, we often heat it up in the microwave here at home. I like to eat it right after we remove it from the bag and pour it into a big bowl.

mmm..me too!! Hey, you're making me crave some kettle corn now, Jeff!! LOL! :D ;D

Written By: nally on 02/05/08 at 1:34 pm

mmm..me too!! Hey, you're making me crave some kettle corn now, Jeff!! LOL! :D ;D

;D

I'm starting to crave some myself, too...LOL!!

Written By: sugar168 on 02/27/08 at 5:05 pm

i love the one at the fair!!!  :) and when i was in college there was a pop your own that was good...i forget what brand!!!  :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/27/08 at 7:43 pm

Mmmmm....I used to love eating this stuff. Something else I haven't had in ages!

Written By: Bobby on 02/28/08 at 12:50 pm

The butter comes in a foil pouch in flavours like Cheese, BBQ, Ultimate Butter, Sour Cream and Onion, and Cinnamon (the latter which is only in the USA apparently).  When your popcorn is done popping, you just pour it over top

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0007SNZL6.01-A3RW63R5A3NKMJ._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

That looks great, Jason, but I prefer my popcorn more sweeter. Are they the only flavours you can get?

Check for new replies or respond here...