inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Local Ethnic Neighborhoods

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/06/06 at 4:17 pm

What are some ethnic neighborhoods near you that you love to eat in? I'll post about my locals later.

Subject: Re: Local Ethnic Neighborhoods

Written By: Paul on 07/06/06 at 5:12 pm

I'm afraid I don't really have an 'ethnic neighbourhood' here in sunny suburbia!

A local kebab, chinese and curry house is about as 'ethnic' as it comes here!

And I won't touch the last two! Yeuch!

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/06/06 at 6:40 pm

We have locally:

1. Little India-It's a two block stretch of Jersey City on Newark Avenue...it's absolutely full of clothiers (inc. sari shops), jewelers, Indian restaurants and takeout places, bakers, trinket and bookshops, etc. The dosa there is to die for.
2. South Paterson-A massive Arabic and Turkish neighborhood stretching along Main Avenue with restaurants, nightclubs, trinket shops, mosques, churches, and grocers where we do alot of our shopping. The best Turkish food you'll ever get in the states is here, in the largest Turkish neighborhood in the country.
3. The Ironbound-Ferry Street in Newark is the highest concentration of Portuguese and Brazilians in the country...famous Portuguese steakhouses, fish markets, and botanicas.

We also have a big Korean/Chinese neighborhood (Fort Lee and E. Bergen County in general), two Dominican areas (West New York and Paterson), a Cuban area (W. New York), West Indian and African-American neighborhoods. endless Little Italys (like every two towns  ;D), and some Jewish areas, like Livingston or Passaic or Teaneck or Fair Lawn.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/06/06 at 8:14 pm

In Pittsburgh, Pa there is this long street called the "Strip District". You go there early in the morning (best on Saturdays) and they have vendors out selling their wares...there are a lot of ethnic stores and little cafes/restaurants...it's really neat.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/06 at 1:46 pm

We live in a very small town. We only have a few resteraunts. We do have a Greek resteraunt that isn't too bad. Even though it is run/owned by people streight off the boat from Greece, it is nothing like the food I got over there (but it is good-they make the BEST calamari I have EVER had). We have a take-out Chinese place that isn't too bad. A bunch of pizza places, a greasy spoon, and (of course) McDonalds. That is about it.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/07/06 at 4:03 pm

A local kebab, chinese and curry house is about as 'ethnic' as it comes here!

And I won't touch the last two! Yeuch!

Ah, you're missing out!  :D

Written By: Paul on 07/07/06 at 5:14 pm

Ah, you're missing out!  :D

Tell that to my insides!  :P

I've tried, but they remain unconvinced!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/07/06 at 5:20 pm

Tell that to my insides!  :P

I've tried, but they remain unconvinced!

You've gotta give 'em a change to get used to the food!  ;D

Written By: HunkyDory on 07/11/06 at 3:26 pm

Livermore (where me and Dominic live) is so crowded with mexicans, so naturally, there is GREAT mexican food, like casa orozsco, el torito, and other good stuff

Written By: deadrockstar on 07/12/06 at 9:38 am

I live in Tyler, Texas and there is a Mexican area of town which has restaurants, taquerias, panaderias, mercados etc.

Written By: Marian on 07/12/06 at 3:09 pm

In san Jose,we have Japantown near downtown.a lot of Japanese businesses.There is Little Portugal near alum Rock avenue.Off branham lane near Momterey highway there's a lot of Vietmnamese businesses.

Written By: spaceace on 10/15/06 at 6:17 pm

In Lancaster PA, we have a influx of Puerto Rican residence. A few Indian resturaunts :)

Check for new replies or respond here...