inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Food Poisoning

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/10/06 at 11:04 am

My grandmother was eating in a Chinese restaurant on Long Island a few weeks ago, and came back with severe gastroenteritis caused by food poisoning, and had to be brought by ambulance to the hospital, and has been sick for several weeks and has lost ten pounds. My mother on Saturday night ate these rotten vegetable chips (she has a habit of eating rotten and expired food) and hasn't eaten since then-only cottage cheese and fruit and crackers, and has been nauseated and half-incapacitated, and vomitous.

I HATE FOOD POISONING. Any experiences here with it? I'll share mine later, it relates to a salad bar.

Subject: Re: Food Poisoning

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/10/06 at 11:09 am

I've never had food poisoning...but I've had bad experiences with eating at Chinese buffets. I really can't eat that food because everytime I do...I end up getting very sick to my stomach. And then...one time we went to lunch at this one, they had recently opened for the day. I believe they used MSG in their food and I must have had an allergic reaction to it ...because, shortly after eating I got totally swollen...my hands were swollen...it was horrible. I never ate there again.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/10/06 at 12:50 pm

Never had food poisoning (knock on wood) but occasionally, I have had indigestion or heartburn.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 07/10/06 at 1:50 pm

I've only suffered once (many, many years ago) when I ate some 'suspect' pizza...

Very mild tho'...nothing to be hospitalised for...

Handy hint: If you're suffering from a mild bout of food poisoning, eat a piece of burnt toast...it's something to do with the carbon that puts you right...

Written By: Southern Image on 07/10/06 at 1:56 pm

I get it every single time I eat at Beni Hanis. It might be something in the sauce, but I'm sick for 2 days after eating there.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/10/06 at 2:30 pm

I believe I've had mild symptoms of it in my time.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/10/06 at 5:19 pm

I get it every single time I eat at Beni Hanis. It might be something in the sauce, but I'm sick for 2 days after eating there.

Why do you keep eating there?  If some place makes me sick, I make it a habit not to eat there anymore.

Written By: Davester on 07/10/06 at 5:22 pm

Twice while shipboard...always the result of the cooks leaving food out of refrigeration too long.  In one case it was bad lunchmeat...

Not fun...

Written By: Southern Image on 07/10/06 at 11:22 pm

Why do you keep eating there?  If some place makes me sick, I make it a habit not to eat there anymore.

Because I was dragged there for business lunches.  ::)  The first time I thought it might be a fluke, the second time I knew it was them. I won't go there on my own.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/10/06 at 11:32 pm

Because I was dragged there for business lunches.  ::)  The first time I thought it might be a fluke, the second time I knew it was them. I won't go there on my own.

You can tell your bosses or whomever is in charge, "Hey, that place makes me sick......let's eat somewhere else".

Written By: Southern Image on 07/11/06 at 12:01 am

You can tell your bosses or whomever is in charge, "Hey, that place makes me sick......let's eat somewhere else".

Well now I don't work for them, so I'm safe from going there ;) ;D

Written By: Gis on 07/11/06 at 1:33 am

I got it the absolute classic way, eating a piece of chicken from a barbeque that was undercooked. I still think it is the illest I have ever felt in my life. Nothing beats sitting on the toilet with a bowl on your lap............  :P
On the plus side I lost a ton of weight so at least there was one consolation!  ;D

Written By: karen on 07/11/06 at 9:32 am

I was once ill with food poisoning after reheating some pork for lunch.  Later on I was in the shower getting ready for my hen night when I felt a bit dizzy.  Got out the shower just in time to throw up.  Had to cancel my hen night  :\'(

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 07/15/06 at 1:05 am

I got in from  a BLT at Sonic.  Go figure

Written By: danootaandme on 07/15/06 at 5:18 am

Not quite frozen frozen yoqurt at one of the stands at a fair.  Beni Hana gave me severe indigestion so I never went back.  Clams at a clams shack.  But the very worst that put me in the hosptal was tainted beef from Wild Harvest, go figure, a health food store!  I was in the hospital 3 days with severe dehydration from all the vomiting.  :(

Written By: Stompgal on 08/23/06 at 4:14 am

I went on a family holiday to Majorca in 2002 and my sister got food poisoning from eating too many undercooked prawns. Two years later we went to Benidorm in Spain and one morning I felt a bit ill. I put it down to eating salad and hot vegetables that may have been washed and cooked in the local water.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/23/06 at 4:47 am

I've gotten food poisoning several times while traveling in Mexico. It really is the pits. I got it once again last year after eating at a lovely restaurant in Puebla and was horribly ill all night long!  :(

Written By: DJ Midas on 08/23/06 at 11:05 pm

Last time I was terribly ill from eating at a restaurant was back in February after eating spaghetti & meatballs at Carrabba's.  Which sucks because I like(d) that place.

Written By: Wiffle on 08/23/06 at 11:06 pm

I got it twice that I know of.

The most recent time was the worst. It was a few hours after eating at a Mongolian BBQ place. That is where you go through a buffet line and put raw stir fry ingredients in a bowl, including meat. They have beef, chicken, pork, all kinds of meat out and you use tongs to put it in the bowl.

Well as soon as I got home I felt "off" and then later that night I started throwing up and then the other end and let's just say I had to shower several times during the night. I have never been so ill. Then I went to the doctor after a few days of being sick and had to take antibiotics.

Ugh. I'm hesitant to go anywhere where food it left out these days.

Written By: Tam on 08/24/06 at 12:16 am

From what I can remember - I got food poisoning from the movie theater.
Seems they weren't cleaning out the Oleo machine properly and bacteria got in and made all the butter that came through it rancid. I puked my guts for 3 days. I called the hospital and imagine my suprise when they asked if I had been to the theater - obviously I wasn't the only one of course but it isn't something you want to hear! >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...