inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Johnny Rockets

Written By: Davester on 07/10/06 at 5:12 pm

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/johnny-rockets-750002.jpg

So who's warmed a stool at the counter of this 50's retro malt shop..?  I admit the menu is standard American fast food but at this place, it's all about the experience...

The usual cheeseburger, fries and a thick chocolate shake, for me, but the whole time I'm staring at seemingly endless polished chrome, the vintage Coca Cola prints on the walls, the glass straw dispensers, the busy soda jerk in the throwback cap and apron, the mini jukeboxes...

Subject: Re: Johnny Rockets

Written By: gemini on 07/10/06 at 5:40 pm

Oh yea! I went to the one in Columbus at the Easton Town Center.  I'm obsessed with 50s diner stuff. My kitchen is proof of that! The food wasn't great, but I loved the atmosphere, it was so retro cool!  8)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/10/06 at 7:15 pm

I've mainly eaten at one, in Concord at our Sunvalley Mall, but I did pass by one in Myrtle Beach, S. Carolina and was SO tempted to walk inside while they were doing their little song and dance show.  ;D

Written By: Davester on 07/10/06 at 7:21 pm

I've mainly eaten at one, in Concord at our Sunvalley Mall, but I did pass by one in Myrtle Beach, S. Carolina and was SO tempted to walk inside while they were doing their little song and dance show.  ;D

Yeah, the Sunvalley Mall branch is the one I was thinking of...

Nice to drop-by while we're there and have a shake...

Edited: typo...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/10/06 at 7:32 pm

Yeah, the Sunvalley Mall branch is the one I was thinking of...

Nice to drop-by while we're there and have a shake...

Edited: typo...

Yeah, I LOVE shakes.. such a weakness. Nothing like a burger and fries and have it all go down with a shake and a coke (diet coke, for me).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/10/06 at 7:54 pm

We don't have one of those anywhere around us...seems like a neat nostalgic place though.

Written By: Davester on 07/10/06 at 10:19 pm

We don't have one of those anywhere around us...seems like a neat nostalgic place though.

Yeah it is pretty cool.  A faithfully reproduced 50's malt shop/diner.  It's closest equivalent could be Chubby's...

But then, I wouldn't know the 50's if it reached up and bit me in the a**...LOL

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/10/06 at 10:44 pm

I, too, wouldn't know the 50s if they bit me on the *ss, but if the cars were anything like what I've seen restored... and if the cartoons were like what Chuck Jones and the rest of the Warner Brothers crew was putting out... and the food was anything like what's at Johnny Rockets... I'd love to go Back to the Future.  Michael J. Fox might be the Anti-Elvis, but the 50s looked like fun.

Written By: Davester on 07/10/06 at 10:55 pm

I, too, wouldn't know the 50s if they bit me on the *ss, but if the cars were anything like what I've seen restored... and if the cartoons were like what Chuck Jones and the rest of the Warner Brothers crew was putting out... and the food was anything like what's at Johnny Rockets... I'd love to go Back to the Future.  Michael J. Fox might be the Anti-Elvis, but the 50s looked like fun.

You'll get no argument from me...

The resident interior decorator is in the middle of transforming the house into the Cunningham residence, as is the case with gemini...

I can imagine, when you brought home some kitchen appliance or whatnot, you really must've known you had something what with the cast iron or die-cut construction.  Nowadays, you wanna go 88 mph, you gotta pay...

Written By: Southern Image on 07/10/06 at 11:24 pm

I've been to one at the Grove in Los Angeles. Its fun. I like the jukeboxes on the tables.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/11/06 at 12:27 am

I've only ate there once. It's pretty cool. I had a cheeseburger and a root beer float. It wasn't half bad.

Written By: gemini on 07/11/06 at 7:12 am

You'll get no argument from me...

The resident interior decorator is in the middle of transforming the house into the Cunningham residence, as is the case with gemini...

;D  Not the whole house, just the kitchen so far. It's more 50s diner looking than kitchen looking, but I have a ways to go yet. Still want one of those little juke boxes that sat on the tables in the diners, and a black and white checkered floor!  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/11/06 at 11:49 am

;D  Not the whole house, just the kitchen so far. It's more 50s diner looking than kitchen looking, but I have a ways to go yet. Still want one of those little juke boxes that sat on the tables in the diners, and a black and white checkered floor!  :D

Rhonda you and I have such similiar tastes! ;)  I am currently transforming my kitchen into a 50's diner/bistro look. I already have the black and white chrome dinette table and chairs...and some accessories...we are painting our kitchen wall red...and I found this neato black and silver chrome ceiling fan. I really want to do black and white checkered floors as well!!! :)

Written By: gemini on 07/11/06 at 12:00 pm

Rhonda you and I have such similiar tastes! ;)  I am currently transforming my kitchen into a 50's diner/bistro look. I already have the black and white chrome dinette table and chairs...and some accessories...we are painting our kitchen wall red...and I found this neato black and silver chrome ceiling fan. I really want to do black and white checkered floors as well!!! :)

Cool!  8) I have a red and white chrome dinette table and vintage accessaries as well! Some are vintage some are repros, old vintage pay phone, lots of tin signs. Here's a link to vintage vending. They have some awesome stuff there!
http://www.vintagevending.com/

:-[ Sorry for straying off topic, Davester  :-[

Written By: Davester on 07/11/06 at 12:26 pm

Cool!  8) I have a red and white chrome dinette table and vintage accessaries as well! Some are vintage some are repros, old vintage pay phone, lots of tin signs. Here's a link to vintage vending. They have some awesome stuff there!
http://www.vintagevending.com/

:-Here's another for 50's retro, "Coca Cola" emblazoned household items...

Hope the link works... :)

Written By: gemini on 07/11/06 at 12:55 pm

The whole appeal of Johnny Rockets, as I said, is the retro decor, which is really what I was getting at.  The food, is average...

Atmosphere counts for something...so the spirit of the thread is right-on...

Oh, and thanks for the link.  Here's another for 50's retro, "Coca Cola" emblazoned household items...

Hope the link works... :)

Yep, the link worked. Thanks! Since, the real vintage stuff goes for alot of money most of the time, I sometimes have to buy the repros, but would much rather have an unlimited budget to buy something like this:

http://www.bitw.com/images/newbitw/bitwso165.jpg

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/11/06 at 1:44 pm

Wow, Erin, you should take some pics of your progress! I love that era, too!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/11/06 at 7:32 pm

Wow, Erin, you should take some pics of your progress! I love that era, too!

I will definitely do that Krissy...right now our walls are bare, Chris tore down all of the old wallpaper and sanded the walls....we are getting ready to put a primer on it soon.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/11/06 at 9:51 pm

Yep, the link worked. Thanks! Since, the real vintage stuff goes for alot of money most of the time, I sometimes have to buy the repros, but would much rather have an unlimited budget to buy something like this:

I know someone who has quite a bit that she's selling on ebay ;)

I've also eaten at a couple of Johnny Rockets.....the food's average, but the atmosphere and the shakes kick a$$~~

Written By: Marian on 07/12/06 at 3:11 pm

Yeah it is pretty cool.  A faithfully reproduced 50's malt shop/diner.  It's closest equivalent could be Chubby's...

But then, I wouldn't know the 50's if it reached up and bit me in the a**...LOL
Authentic would mean no British invasion or later music1i wish McDonald's would have more 50s.you do hear the Everly brothers once in a while.otherwise Carl's Jr. is better.

Written By: Davester on 07/12/06 at 7:08 pm

Authentic would mean no British invasion or later music1i wish McDonald's would have more 50s.you do hear the Everly brothers once in a while.otherwise Carl's Jr. is better.

Honestly, cannot remember the playlist on the jukebox, but, uh, yeah...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/12/06 at 7:35 pm

There's a Johnny Rockets at Gwinnett Place Mall; it's pretty good.  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/13/06 at 12:59 pm

I will definitely do that Krissy...right now our walls are bare, Chris tore down all of the old wallpaper and sanded the walls....we are getting ready to put a primer on it soon.

Maybe watch some '50s themed movies for some extra ideas.  :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/16/10 at 10:27 pm

Gis and I ate at Johnny Rockets in Philly.  I wonder what she thought of it...

Written By: karen on 05/17/10 at 8:27 am

There's a Johnny Rockets at one of the malls nearby.  We go in occasionally.  It's great for a quick snack or a fix of junk food.  Nicer than the local mcD's.  Shame the juke boxes don't seem to work though  :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...