inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anybody here like Indian food?

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 07/15/06 at 12:58 am

I loooooooooooove Indian food and want to learn how to make some of it.  Anybody have recipes?

Subject: Re: Anybody here like Indian food?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/15/06 at 1:04 am

I love Indian food as well.  Here's a couple that I really like:

Nargisi Kofta (vegetable dumplings in a curry sauce)

Ingredients:
For Kofta:
Boiled vegetables (carrot, green peas, bottle gourd, potato, cauliflower) : 2 cups
Ginger paste : 3/4 tsp.
Black pepper powder : 1/2 tsp.
Maida (refined flour) : 2 tbsp.
Vegetable oil : 8-10 tbsp.
Salt to taste

For Gravy:
Boiled onions (paste) 1 cup
Finely chopped tomatoes 1 cup
Vegetable oil 4 tbsp.
Bay leaves 3-4
Ginger paste 1 tsp.
Garlic paste 1 tsp.
Green chilli paste 1/2 tsp.
Coriander powder 1 tsp.
Red chilli powder 1 tsp.
Turmeric Powder 3/4 tsp.
Garam Masala Powder 1 tsp.
Cream 4 tbsp.
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves for decoration

Method:
  For Kofta:
1. Mash all the boiled vegetables. Add ginger paste, pepper powder, maida and salt.
2. Make into small kofta balls.
3. Heat oil on 'high'.
4. Reduce heat to 'medium' and then fry kofta balls so that they cook properly. First try with one ball. Check if the oil is heated properly and ball comes out well. If you find that the balls are splattering, then add little more maida to the mixture.

For Gravy:
1. Heat oil in pan .
2. Fry bay leaves for 30 seconds.
3. Add onion paste, ginger-garlic paste and green chilli paste. Fry the mixture till it becomes golden brown and starts separating from oil.
4. Add garam masala, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, dhania powder, salt to the mixture and heat for about 3-4 minutes on 'medium'.
5. Add appropriate water to the mixture to make thick gravy.
6. Bring the gravy to boil and then cover it. Let it cook for 4-5 minutes.
7. Add 2 tbsp. of cream so that the cream flavor blends with gravy.

5-10 minutes prior to serving, add kofta balls to the gravy. Heat on 'medium' to 2-3 mins.

Decorate with the remaining cream and finely chopped coriander leaves.

Tandoori Chicken

Chicken (whole)  1 ( about 1-1/2 Kg)
Red chilli powder 1 tsp.
Garam Masala Powder 1 tsp.
Ginger paste 1 tsp.
Garlic paste 1 tsp.
Green chilli paste 1 tsp.
Yogurt (curd) 1/2 cup
Lemon juice 2 tbsp.
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil (for basting)

Method:
1. Thoroughly clean the chicken. Prick it with knife or fork all over and make slits diagonally.
2. Apply a mixture of red chilli powder, salt and lemon juice all over the body and marinate it for 30-45 minutes.
3. Churn the yogurt and add ginger, garlic and green chilli paste, garam masala and mix well.
4. Pour this yogurt mixture over the chicken and toss so that it gets coated well all through, with the paste. Force some mixture in the slits. Marinate it for 6-7 hours.
5. Brush the chicken with little oil. Then put it in a grill and cook for about 20 minutes (almost cooked). Finally bast the chicken with oil and again roast it until fully cooked.

Serve hot

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/16/06 at 11:42 am

Tandoori Chicken is wonderful!

I also love Nan (Indian flat bread) and Papadoms...ooh!  :D

Written By: Paul on 07/16/06 at 12:01 pm

Ick!

Ick ick ick ick ick ick ick ick ick...!!

(No, I hate the stuff!)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/16/06 at 12:10 pm

Ick!

Ick ick ick ick ick ick ick ick ick...!!

(No, I hate the stuff!)

Awwww...what a shame!  :-\\

Written By: Paul on 07/16/06 at 12:15 pm

Awwww...what a shame!  :-\\

Plays absolute havoc with my internal workings, young Karen!

I used to drink with a friend who could eat 'phall' curry...absolutely white hot, this stuff...

He offered me a very small forkful...the swelling in my lips went down after three weeks!  :P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/16/06 at 12:27 pm

I used to drink with a friend who could eat 'phall' curry...absolutely white hot, this stuff...

He offered me a very small forkful...the swelling in my lips went down after three weeks!  :P

That sounds like a very unpleasant experience, alright...but you must keep in mind that not all Indian food is that hot!

The Nan (which I referred to above) isn't spicy at all...and if you put some diced tomatoes with basil (or other seasoning) on it, it's delicious!  :)

Written By: Paul on 07/16/06 at 12:32 pm

That sounds like a very unpleasant experience, alright...but you must keep in mind that not all Indian food is that hot!

Heh! I know, Karen...

...but even the mildest of the mild (Korma), will do me no favours whatsoever!

The Nan (which I referred to above) isn't spicy at all...and if you put some diced tomatoes with basil (or other seasoning) on it, it's delicious!  :)

Well, it's bread...so I s'pose that can't do no harm...

Tell you what, I'll have that and you can have the Tandoori!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/16/06 at 12:36 pm

Heh! I know, Karen...

...but even the mildest of the mild (Korma), will do me no favours whatsoever!

I understand...

Well, it's bread...so I s'pose that can't do no harm...

Tell you what, I'll have that and you can have the Tandoori!

Okay, that'll work!  ;)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 07/16/06 at 1:45 pm

If I'm gonna eat Indian/Bengali food, I make sure there's something around to drink  :D  But I love it

I know how to make very basic chicken curry.  Attempted to yesterday and it was almost done, then I let it simmer a tad too long and the onions were completely burnt  :\'( 

Paul, have u ever tried pakoras?  They are not spicy at all and are DELICIOUS!!!!  My favorite are spinach:

Ingredients:

Chickpea flour ("besan")    1 cup
Warm water                    1/2 cup
Egg                                1
Ground cumin                  1 teaspoon
Salt                                1 1/2 teaspoons

Chopped Spinach leaves    2-3 cups

Method:

1.  Beat first set of ingredients well with a whisk to incorporate air and make a fluffy batter. (You could also add a pinch of turmeric powder to the batter). Alternatively, make the batter in a blender. Let rest 30 minutes.
2.  Heat oil to 375

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/17/06 at 1:39 pm

Yes, the spicier the better for me.

Written By: Jessica on 07/18/06 at 9:49 pm

I adore it, even though it's very....gassy.  :o

Written By: Stompgal on 07/19/06 at 4:37 am

My favourite indian food items are chicken Korma curry with boiled rice and garlic and coriander Naan bread. I don't like Indian food as much as Chinese.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 07/22/06 at 10:59 am

My favourite indian food items are chicken Korma curry with boiled rice and garlic and coriander Naan bread. I don't like Indian food as much as Chinese.

I like Chinese food somewhat, but I find a lot of it to be somewhat bland.  At least compared to Indian food.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/22/06 at 11:58 am

I like most spicy foods in general - though I can't take a 'real' Indian curry. I enjoy Indian breads like Naan.etc, as well as the snacks like Samosas.etc. Shame it's so calorific..

Written By: Kryllith on 07/25/06 at 1:00 pm

Love Indian food, the hotter the better. I was just talking to a friend earlier about going out for some Indian food for her b-day tomorrow. Need to get a hold of some vindaloo. :)

Written By: Davester on 07/29/06 at 3:00 am

Don't know much about it, but what I've tried I've liked...

One of the best meals I've had was at a Bangladeshi restaraunt in South Shields, UK.  I swear I came dangerously close to actually finishing a three course meal...

go ;)...

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 07/29/06 at 2:13 pm

My fiance is coming back from Florida in a couple weeks.  I can't wait!  He's learned how to cook from his cousin and now I'll finally get to eat REAL BANGLADESHI FOOD!!!!!!!!!    Biryani and khichuri and all kinds of yummy stuff!!!!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/03/06 at 7:35 pm

I love Indian food to an extent, but I think I agree with Paul in the fact that it rarely agrees with my insides. My boyfriend eats it regularly. We usually get the Malai Kofta, Nan, the ones with that farmers cheese squares and peas, and some others with potatoes and stuff. We also get the Mango drinks, the mango lassi and the one that's not as frothy. And we always ask "Very mild"

Written By: Marian on 08/06/06 at 4:19 pm

Actually a lot of American treats have trans fat or high fructose corn syrup--just as bad.Bill Clinton cut down on that stuff,wisely.Anyway i Love chickem tikka masala.

Written By: Tam on 08/08/06 at 12:34 pm

I love curry beef and chicken but not true Indian style - I use a can of fruit cocktail along with the other ingredients to quash the hotness of it! ;) The only other Indian food I eat is Samosas. They are so good dipped in soy sauce or a sweet and sour sauce.

Samosas

dough:
7 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp. salt
3/4 cup clarified butter or ghee, melted (use vegetable shortening or oil for vegan variation)
hot water

peanut oil, for deep frying
Tamarind Chutney, to serve (or other chutney or sweet chili sauce)

filling:

1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds, crushed
seeds from 10 cardamom pods
3 potatoes, about 1 pound, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
4 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. salt
1 cup shelled green peas (frozen are fine)
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Sift flour and salt into a bowl, then stir in melted ghee. Add 1 cup + 2 tablespoons of hot water gradually, tossing and stirring, to make a dough. Knead for 2 minutes, then chill in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.

If using a food processor, combine flour and salt in processor bowl. Pour in ghee and blend to combine. With processor running at medium speed, stream in the hot water, then process an additional 15 - 20 seconds. Remove from processor, form into a ball, and chill while you prepare the filling.

Heat oil in skillet at medium-low. Saut

Written By: holicman on 08/11/06 at 10:14 am

Indian food is Ok as long as it isnt too spicy.

Written By: Marian on 08/13/06 at 4:41 pm

I love Indian food to an extent, but I think I agree with Paul in the fact that it rarely agrees with my insides. My boyfriend eats it regularly. We usually get the Malai Kofta, Nan, the ones with that farmers cheese squares and peas, and some others with potatoes and stuff. We also get the Mango drinks, the mango lassi and the one that's not as frothy. And we always ask "Very mild"
Actually i think a lot of Indians eat it over rice,so it's not as hot or fatty as some think.But not all of them.

Written By: imadick on 08/18/06 at 8:25 pm

Paul, have u ever tried pakoras?  They are not spicy at all and are DELICIOUS!!!!  My favorite are spinach:

Did you mean "Pakodas" ?????????

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/22/06 at 2:45 am

Tried it once before. Never again.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/29/06 at 2:38 am

Tandoori chicken and samosas!

*drooling with malicious glee, at the thought of fine Eastern Indian delights*

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/30/06 at 12:50 am

I've only had Indian food two or three times myself, but I really like Saag, as long as it's very mild.

Creamy Indian Spinach (Saag)

2 pounds spinach, washed, stems removed
2 Tbsp. peanut oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 dried red chile pepper, crushed
1 Tbsp. minced ginger
1 tsp. curry powder
1/4 cup water
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

Chop the spinach. Mix the milk and yogurt together until smooth and set aside. Heat the oil over low-medium heat in a frying pan that has a lid. Add the garlic, ginger, and chile pepper and saut

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/30/06 at 2:31 am

I'm a big, big lover of Indian food.

I came to like the stuff one time when I ate nothing but homemade Indian food for dinner every night for about a month. So oddly enough, for me, Indian food is like a comfort food.  Even though I'm not Indian. :D

I love chapati with dal, chicken biryani(Hyderabadi and the hotter the better!) and samosas.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/30/06 at 2:48 am

I got my wife a cookbook that includes Indian food, but she hasn't found a way to use curry powder that she can stand, yet.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/30/06 at 1:13 pm

Actually i think a lot of Indians eat it over rice,so it's not as hot or fatty as some think.But not all of them.

I load mine with rice to tame it usually - but it may not even be the spiciness that gets my stomach, it could be that butter they use in their food which can get the best of many people. Too much oil in other foods also bother me, so it could be something to do with that.

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/01/06 at 12:14 am

I'm cooking Indian food for dinner tommorrow night, first time I'll ever cook it myself. I'm fixing chicken Biryani.

This is the recipe I'm using:

INGREDIENTS:

* 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
    * 4 small potatoes, peeled and halved
    * 2 large onions, finely chopped
    * 2 cloves garlic, minced
    * 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
    * 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
    * 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
    * 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
    * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
    * 1 (2 inch) piece cinnamon stick
    * 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken pieces cut into chunks
    * 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    * 1 large onion, diced
    * 1 pinch powdered saffron
    * 5 pods cardamom
    * 3 whole cloves
    * 1 (1 inch) piece cinnamon stick
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    * 1 pound basmati rice
    * 4 cups chicken stock
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons salt

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large skillet, in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or ghee) fry potatoes until brown, drain and reserve the potatoes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons
oil to the skillet and fry onion, garlic and ginger until onion is soft and golden. Add chili, pepper, turmeric, cumin, salt and the tomatoes. Fry, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Add yogurt, mint, cardamom and cinnamon stick. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes
are cooked to a pulp. It may be necessary to add a little hot water if the mixture becomes too dry and starts to stick to the pan.

2. When the mixture is thick and smooth, add the chicken pieces and stir well to coat them with the spice mixture. Cover and cook over very low heat until the chicken is tender, approximately 35 to 45 minutes. There should only be a little very thick gravy left when chicken is finished cooking. If
necessary cook uncovered for a few minutes to reduce the gravy.

3. Wash rice well and drain in colander for at least 30 minutes.

4. In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil (or ghee) and fry the onions until they are golden. Add saffron, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, ginger and
rice. Stir continuously until the rice is coated with the spices.

5. In a medium-size pot, heat the chicken stock and salt. When the mixture is hot pour it over the rice and stir well. Add the chicken mixture and the
potatoes; gently mix them into the rice. Bring to boil. Cover the saucepan tightly, turn heat to very low and steam for 20 minutes. Do not lift lid or stir
while cooking. Spoon biryani onto a warm serving dish.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/01/06 at 12:26 am

Can you airmail some of that stuff to me in Georgia?  That sounds yummy as hell.

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/01/06 at 9:33 pm

Can you airmail some of that stuff to me in Georgia?  That sounds yummy as hell.

It turned out really good. 8)

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/07/06 at 1:47 am

I stopped by an Indian-owned convenient store/halaal grocer on the way home where they sell freshly prepared Indian food to go. I got an order of biryani(which was HUGE, I put a good amount away and theres still a bunch leftover which I'll have for lunch tomorrow), bought a package of roti(pita bread) and a box of Indian tea. Also the guy threw an order of these spicy little battered and fried potato patties, dunno what they were called. It was free, he said it was gift because right now is the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. :)

Well, allahu akbar because it was good!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/08/06 at 3:48 pm

Went out and had a very nice chicken masala today    :)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 11/10/06 at 7:23 pm

I'm cooking Indian food for dinner tommorrow night, first time I'll ever cook it myself. I'm fixing chicken Biryani.

My fiance makes some awesome biryani!!!  Although I have to make sure he uses some boneless pieces  (he likes to eat meat off the bone). 

You could also try topping the biryani with some pine nuts and sliced boiled eggs.  Yummy...

Written By: La Roche on 11/15/06 at 8:06 am

I'm partial to a Vindaloo or a Jalfraezi myself. Well, to be fair, I'll eat any and all currys.. but those 2 are my particular favorites.

Check for new replies or respond here...