inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fried Rice. Does anyone have a recipe?

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/20/06 at 11:06 pm

My kids love fried rice and I thought it would make a good side dish.  So the last time I was at the supermarket I picked up a seasoning packet that you added to white rice...it sucked!  It was so disgusting. 

I would love to be able to make some so if you have a good recipe, please share it.  :)

Subject: Re: Fried Rice. Does anyone have a recipe?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/20/06 at 11:08 pm

There's always Fried Rice whenever my wife gets mad at me :D

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/20/06 at 11:08 pm

LOL!!  :)

Written By: Jessica on 07/20/06 at 11:15 pm

If you don't like the seasoning packets, see if you can get your hands on a jar of Chinese five spices and then do this:

Make as much white rice as you need (if you have a rice cooker, it works better). Then you let the rice cool down. Scramble up a couple of eggs and set aside. After that, you can decide if you want meat in it or not. If you do, take the meat (chicken or pork works well), chop it fairly fine, and cook it in a wok or the pan of your choice. Then you toss in the rice, some green onions (as much as you want), a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce, and maybe a teaspoon of the five spices. Fry it up like that until everything is evenly coated with soy sauce and spice. Then push it all to the side of the pan and put the scrambled eggs on the other side. Cook those until they are done, then mix together with the rice. Finished!

That is like the easiest recipe I know for fried rice. :)

P.S.  It also works well if you mix the soy sauce and spices together before you put it on the rice.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/21/06 at 8:59 am

If you don't like the seasoning packets, see if you can get your hands on a jar of Chinese five spices and then do this:

Make as much white rice as you need (if you have a rice cooker, it works better). Then you let the rice cool down. Scramble up a couple of eggs and set aside. After that, you can decide if you want meat in it or not. If you do, take the meat (chicken or pork works well), chop it fairly fine, and cook it in a wok or the pan of your choice. Then you toss in the rice, some green onions (as much as you want), a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce, and maybe a teaspoon of the five spices. Fry it up like that until everything is evenly coated with soy sauce and spice. Then push it all to the side of the pan and put the scrambled eggs on the other side. Cook those until they are done, then mix together with the rice. Finished!

That is like the easiest recipe I know for fried rice. :)

P.S.  It also works well if you mix the soy sauce and spices together before you put it on the rice.

that sounds really good...I will have to try it sometime.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/21/06 at 9:00 am

You beat me to it  :P

I was gonna suggest that Jess throws you in a wok  ;)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/21/06 at 9:28 am

You beat me to it  :P

I was gonna suggest that Jess throws you in a wok  ;)

A vegemite pox upon you!  :D

Written By: Southern Image on 07/21/06 at 11:56 am

FRIED RICE WITH VEGETABLES AND BASIL
Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
1/2 cup long-grain rice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1/3 cup thawed frozen peas
1/3 cup thawed frozen corn
1/4 cup coarsely grated carrot
2 scallions, sliced thin
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar or distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves

In a bowl wash the rice well in several changes of cold water and drain it in a sieve. In a small saucepan combine the rice, the salt, and 3/4 cup water and simmer the mixture, covered, for 18 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Transfer the rice to a large bowl and let it cool for
10 minutes.

In a wok or heavy skillet heat the oil over high heat until it is hot but not smoking and in it stir-fry the ginger for 10 seconds, or until it is fragrant. Add the rice, the peas, the corn, the carrot, and the scallions and stir-fry the mixture for 1 minute. Add the Worcestershire sauce and the vinegar and stir-fry the mixture for 1 minute, or until it is hot. Stir in the basil and salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 2.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/12171

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/06 at 1:37 pm

How I make it (and yes, this is one of the few things I actually make  :D ) I cook the rice first. Then in a wok, with a little bit of oil, I fry an egg or two, then add chopped up pork, onions, garlic, canned mushrooms (with juice), a can of water chestnuts, a can of bamboo shoots, and sometimes bean sprouts-but not usually. After the ingredents had sauteed for a bit, I add the rice and soy sauce.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/21/06 at 2:20 pm

I make a wonderful fried rice (that my family always raves about) from scratch.  I can't really give you exact measurements, but I'll try my best.

Karen's Fried Rice

3 T. vegetable oil
2 c. leftover cooked meat, cubed (roast beef or lamb work best, but ham is also good!)
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 c. diced carrots
3/4 c. chopped broccoli (stems included)
1/2 c. chopped celery
3 scallions, chopped
1/2 c. frozen green peas
3 c. white rice, steamed
1/3 c. soy sauce
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Steam rice and set aside.

Cube meat and set aside in a bowl.  Chop carrots and broccoli and set aside in a bowl.  Chop celery and scallions and set aside in another bowl.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, deep non-stick pan.  Add meat and fry on medium-high until lightly browned.  Remove meat from pan.  Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan and add beaten eggs.  Cook until opaque, remove from pan and set aside with meat.  Add the last tablespoon of oil to the pan and heat.  Add carrots and broccoli and cook until lightly browned, adding celery and scallions toward the end (as they won't take as long to cook).  When vegetables are crisp-tender, add the meat and egg mixture to the pan, stirring well.  Add rice and mix thoroughly.  Add soy sauce to pan and mix until it coats rice (which should no longer be white).  Add frozen peas and freshly ground pepper and mix thoroughly.  Continue to cook until the rice starts to brown lightly. Voila!

Hope that's clear enough for you, and that it comes out the same way as it does for me.  :)

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/21/06 at 3:51 pm

Thanks everyone...I can't wait to try some of these but I suppose I need to go out and buy a wok first.  LOL!!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/21/06 at 3:55 pm

Thanks everyone...I can't wait to try some of these but I suppose I need to go out and buy a wok first.  LOL!!

You gotta wok the line :D

Woks are great.  You can stir fry with it too, make all kinds of good stuff.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/21/06 at 5:58 pm

I'm going to use these recipes!! Thanks.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/23/06 at 12:05 pm

You don't necessarily need a wok as long as you've got a deep, non-stick pan (I use Circulon)... :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/06 at 2:41 pm

You gotta wok the line :D

Or wok this way?  :D

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/23/06 at 4:26 pm

Or wok this way?  :D

Cat

or.....wok like an Egyptian? :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/23/06 at 4:28 pm

Egg Fried Rice, that has bits of egg within it, I am not sure how my wife makes it that way.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/06 at 4:55 pm

When I lived in San Antonio, TX, there was a take-out Chinese place that had commercials that used to the tune "I'm Walkin'"

I'm wokin', yes indeed. I'm talkin' great Chinese.

Yeah, it was pretty bad but you couldn't help but laugh at it.

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/23/06 at 7:02 pm

Wokin' on Sunshine?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/23/06 at 8:03 pm

I love to cook but some things are better bought already made and this to me is one. just get a big box of fried rice to go a chinese restaurant. It's gonna be much better than anything we can make because they're good at it, they make it everyday. I tried making it a couple of times and it's much easier and tastes better coming from your fav takeout place. my father in law is chinese and can cook it well, but that's what he does, plus it lasts in the fridge for several days. no offense to all the good recipe givers earlier, I'm sure they are excellent but when it comes to chinese food, get it made by a chinese cook  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...