inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fair (or Carnival) Food

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/22/06 at 6:29 pm

Now that the State Fairs are winding down around the country, (including ours, which ended Sunday), what are some favorite foods that you crave whenever you go down there. I had something called a beefy cheese stick (kind of like a hamburger shaped like a hot dog with cheese inside. Not bad, but it's not an italian sausage or a polish dog. I also like pork tenderloins, rib-eye steak sandwich, and roasted corn. The fried chocolate-covered strawberries sounded good too. But I'm afraid something like that (and especially fried Twinkies) would kill a diabetic like me.

Subject: Re: Fair (or Carnival) Food

Written By: Tam on 08/23/06 at 1:49 am

I like gyros and candy apples.
Hubby likes deep fried ice cream.

I think I like the smells of the foods rather than actually eating them! ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/23/06 at 3:08 am

Candy Apples
French Fries
Cotton Candy
Funnel Cake

Btw, the L.A.County Fair begins next month for us here in L.A.

Written By: whistledog on 08/23/06 at 8:21 pm

Fries w/ Gravy.  I don't like Poutine from local fairs cause they always put too much cheese, and not enough gravy

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/23/06 at 8:35 pm

Funnel cake, funnel cake, funnel cake, and funnel cake.

Written By: DJ Midas on 08/23/06 at 9:43 pm

Funnel cake, funnel cake, funnel cake, and funnel cake.

Amen, Sister!  :D  When I used to go to the NC State fair it was that and country ham biscuits.  :)

Written By: Wiffle on 08/23/06 at 10:55 pm

Huge turkey leg with some mustard and salt.

Pretzel with sea salt and mustard.

Salt! Mustard!

Written By: Southern Image on 08/24/06 at 10:45 am

Our Fair will be starting soon.  The Los Angeles County Fair always wraps up summer.

Churros, kettle corn and mainly the junk food is what we get. I can't really pinpoint an exact stable to eat there.

Written By: Southern Image on 08/24/06 at 10:46 am

Candy Apples
French Fries
Cotton Candy
Funnel Cake

Btw, the L.A.County Fair begins next month for us here in L.A.

Hey Tanya!

Theres a mexican fast food joint called El Merenderos that sits just outside the fair , near the drag racing section. Go try it. I love their tacos.  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/24/06 at 11:28 am

I really love having andagi at the State Fair.  They are a type of Japanese donut which is heavier (and tastier) than American donuts...and they're crispy on the outside.  The best part is that they're not glazed, so they're not too sweet.  :)

Written By: CeeKay on 08/24/06 at 4:00 pm

Popular here are the turkey legs, grilled corn on the cob dipped in melted butter (YUM), and the funnel cakes, of course -- a real favorite!

Written By: KKay on 08/24/06 at 4:55 pm

i like zeppole, sausage and onion, cotton candy and candy apples.  the sausage and onion is a big thing in NYC.
oh and i love a shredded bbq pork sandwich.

Written By: Jessica on 08/24/06 at 6:20 pm

Funnel Cakes
Kettle Corn

I think that's about it.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/25/06 at 10:18 pm

Funnel Cake for the win here.

As a close second, I'm going to nominate a bacon cheeseburger... but instead of a bun, it's served between two halves of a Krispy Kreme donut.  It looks so wrong, but it tastes so right.  (The salt in a well-seasoned burger/cheese/bacon and the sugar in the donut basically turn it into the carnivorous equivalent of Kettle Corn.)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/25/06 at 10:30 pm

As a close second, I'm going to nominate a bacon cheeseburger... but instead of a bun, it's served between two halves of a Krispy Kreme donut.  It looks so wrong, but it tastes so right.  (The salt in a well-seasoned burger/cheese/bacon and the sugar in the donut basically turn it into the carnivorous equivalent of Kettle Corn.)

That sounds utterly revolting.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/25/06 at 11:33 pm

That sounds utterly revolting.

"That... is why you fail."
- Yoda.

(I was as revolted as you were until I tried making one myself!)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/25/06 at 11:54 pm

"That... is why you fail."
- Yoda.

(I was as revolted as you were until I tried making one myself!)

Krispy Kremes are f*cking yummy.  Bacon cheeseburgers are yummy.  Together they are not yummy.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/26/06 at 1:03 am

Krispy Kremes are f*cking yummy.  Bacon cheeseburgers are yummy.  Together they are not yummy.

I swear to you and in the name of the infinitely-fallible J.R. "Bob" Dobbs, High Epopt of Sales (the man who coined the phrase "Don't just eat that burger, eat the hell out of it!") that I'm not just goofing on the boar (...for once!). 

Just try it.  Properly season your burgermeat before you even slap it on the grill.  Use real beef.  Use real... umm.. whatever your favorite burgermeat seasonings are.  (I'm down with at least 3-4 cloves of garlic and half an onion, finely-minced, per pound of meat, and I've been known to throw a pound of pork, lamb, or veal in with the beef when I make a 2-3 pound batch of burgers.  Use uber-lean beef, use whatever-fat othermeat, and it'll not only be healthy, it'll hold together fine on the grill!)

Think about it -- egg bread is just a really sweet dough.  You've had hot dogs in egg bread right?  And what's ketchup but tomatoes, garlic, and sugar, right?

And really... what's the worst that could happen?  You get a bag of buns.  You get a $6 box of Kriskpy Kremes.  Your worst-case scenario is that you take one bite, realize you've wasted $0.60 worth of Krispy Kreme donut, and you wrap the remaining 90% of the burger in a nice bun and then proceed to eat the hell out of it.

But freeze the donut before trying to cut it in half lengthwise, though.  Don't ask me about the mushed donut I ate after finding this out the hard way.  It was tasty, because it was a Krispy Kreme... but it wasn't pretty to watch.  All part of the food chain, though.

Written By: Jessica on 08/26/06 at 10:02 am

I swear to you and in the name of the infinitely-fallible J.R. "Bob" Dobbs, High Epopt of Sales (the man who coined the phrase "Don't just eat that burger, eat the hell out of it!") that I'm not just goofing on the boar (...for once!). 

Just try it.  Properly season your burgermeat before you even slap it on the grill.  Use real beef.  Use real... umm.. whatever your favorite burgermeat seasonings are.  (I'm down with at least 3-4 cloves of garlic and half an onion, finely-minced, per pound of meat, and I've been known to throw a pound of pork, lamb, or veal in with the beef when I make a 2-3 pound batch of burgers.  Use uber-lean beef, use whatever-fat othermeat, and it'll not only be healthy, it'll hold together fine on the grill!)

Think about it -- egg bread is just a really sweet dough.  You've had hot dogs in egg bread right?  And what's ketchup but tomatoes, garlic, and sugar, right?

And really... what's the worst that could happen?  You get a bag of buns.  You get a $6 box of Kriskpy Kremes.  Your worst-case scenario is that you take one bite, realize you've wasted $0.60 worth of Krispy Kreme donut, and you wrap the remaining 90% of the burger in a nice bun and then proceed to eat the hell out of it.

But freeze the donut before trying to cut it in half lengthwise, though.  Don't ask me about the mushed donut I ate after finding this out the hard way.  It was tasty, because it was a Krispy Kreme... but it wasn't pretty to watch.  All part of the food chain, though.

I've actually heard of people doing this. It doesn't sound appealing or healthy, but to each their own. :D

Written By: DJ Midas on 08/26/06 at 11:20 am

I'd try that.

Unfortunately they recently closed the Krispy Kremes in the Phoenix area. >:(

Written By: Marian on 08/29/06 at 3:48 pm

I've tried fried dill pickles,and they're pretty good.Also beer batter onion rings,super breaded corn dogs,and cheese sti cks.

Written By: Wiffle on 08/29/06 at 11:42 pm

I told my husband about this, thinking he would be excited by this possibility since our fair is coming up in September. He must be getting old because he acted disgusted.

Written By: rich1981 on 08/30/06 at 12:20 am

Good old fashioned cotton candy would be my top favorite but snow cones would be a close second.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/30/06 at 12:44 am

Haven't been to the fair in about 10 years probably.

But ya, mostly any junk food I can get my hands on

Funnel Cakes (with powdered sugar no fruit topping for me)
French Fries with vinegar
These big steak sandwiches that come smothered in oinions and green pepper, they grilled them out on this open flame grill and the smell just draws people in.

I used to like caramel apples from the fair too.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/30/06 at 1:18 pm

Last time we were at the Carnival, we had some deep fried zucchini and squash. We were gonna buy some cotton candy but they were charging way too much for the stuff. We even offered to pay $2.00 at closing time and they wouldn't go for it - blast them!  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/30/06 at 1:19 pm

Yes, and Funnel cakes are a must! I like churros, too and to have a cheddar cheese filled corndog. So much guilt!

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/30/06 at 6:48 pm

Many of you picked funnel cakes but not elephant ears. A good elephant ear, which tastes similar to funnel cakes, is light and airy without a lot of dough. Most fairgoers like to sprinle it with cinnamon or sugar, but I prefer a fruit compote or jam of some kind.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/30/06 at 7:13 pm

Many of you picked funnel cakes but not elephant ears.

I've never even heard of it.

Written By: KKay on 08/30/06 at 8:23 pm

i love fountain soda when it comes out with too much syrup.

Written By: CeeKay on 08/30/06 at 9:52 pm

There's a big festival in Denver this weekend.  I'll go and sample everything and report in on Monday  ::)

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/30/06 at 11:07 pm

Roasted corn
Turkey legs
Corn dogs
Caramel apples
Funnel cakes

And at the fair here in Tyler, this guy makes AWESOME homemade rootbeer every year.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/01/06 at 1:10 am

Many of you picked funnel cakes but not elephant ears. A good elephant ear, which tastes similar to funnel cakes, is light and airy without a lot of dough. Most fairgoers like to sprinle it with cinnamon or sugar, but I prefer a fruit compote or jam of some kind.
DAMN!  You beat me to it......I ALWAYS have to get an elephant ear at the fair, but I've noticed they're not at all fairs....I was at the Iowa State Fair and there were NONE, only funnel cakes ???

Anyhoo:

Elephant ear (or funnel cake if it's not available)
Corn Dog
Corn on the Cob
Taffy
Tempura
Soft Pretzel with salt (dipped in mustard ;))

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/01/06 at 2:30 am

For some weird reason, I never really cared for elephant ears.  I know they are made of the same thing.  I guess I  like breaking off the little strips of greasy goodness that you do with funnel cakes.  You are right, the only kinds I've ever had (with elephant ears) were covered in cinammon, which I'm not especially fond of in the first place, so maybe I'd feel differently if I had it a different way.

I once had a chocolate covered frozen banana at the fair and it tasted horrible (it was the last day of the fair though, so had I gotten it sooner, maybe it'd have tasted better.)

I remember getting corndogs at the fair too, they were good.

Written By: Wiffle on 09/01/06 at 9:52 pm

Does everyone else's fair have a sample hall?

Last year at the Texas state fair, we got samples of bread and butter, flour and corn tortilla quesadillas, salsa, soup, a free tree, etc. Very fun!

Written By: Southern Image on 09/05/06 at 10:40 am

Does everyone else's fair have a sample hall?

Last year at the Texas state fair, we got samples of bread and butter, flour and corn tortilla quesadillas, salsa, soup, a free tree, etc. Very fun!

Yep, we have one.

Written By: whistledog on 09/17/06 at 10:50 pm

One of these days, I am going to try some Candy Floss at a Carnival

Written By: karen on 09/18/06 at 8:16 am

Another thread with loads of food I don't recognise.  :-\\

At the town fair which visits every November I usually buy candy floss (cotton candy I assume).  My mum always used to buy brandy snaps and a sweet which is chocolate and white stuff rolled up and cut into slices. Yum.

For all you funnel cake lovers out there I found this site  don't drool on your keyboards!

modified for typo

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/18/06 at 8:34 am

I don't really like fair/carnival food...unless they happen to have a Greek stand, where I can get my stuffed grape leaves and spinach pies....however, here are some popular fair foods in our area:

Kettle Corn
Deep fried Twinkies
Fried veggies
chicken on a stick (served over rice)
BBQ ribs and chicken
pepperoni rolls
sugar coated nuts (almonds and pecans)
waffle cones
and our course your typical things: cotton candy, pretzels, candy apples, hot dogs, cheese fries, etc.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/18/06 at 10:29 am

I am ALL about the funnel cake.  Karen, that link was just cruel! 

I also like corn dogs and cinnamon roasted almonds. 

Dang...now I'm hungry...

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/20/06 at 6:27 am

8)  YUM..corn dogs ....steak on a stick.....pizza by the slice.....anything fried and anything spicy..Im not into sweets

Written By: holicman on 09/20/06 at 9:26 am

What is a funnel cake and what is it made of ??

what does it taste like ?

Can anyone post a picture of one ??

Cheers :)

Written By: karen on 09/20/06 at 9:30 am

I don't know what it is made of or tastes like but here are some pictures.

For all you funnel cake lovers out there I found this site  don't drool on your keyboards!

Written By: holicman on 09/20/06 at 9:37 am

Thanks for the Pic Karen :D

It looks interesting and relatively easy to cook :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/20/06 at 9:48 am

What it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funnel_cake

What it looks like: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d9/Funnel_cake_20040821_172200_1.1655x1275.jpg/778px-Funnel_cake_20040821_172200_1.1655x1275.jpg

Written By: spaceace on 11/29/06 at 3:39 pm

I heard there's a new thing. It's called fried Coke.  It's kind of like funnel cake but the main ingredient is Coke.  People usually put a strawberry syrup on it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/29/06 at 3:40 pm

I heard there's a new thing. It's called fried Coke.  It's kind of like funnel cake but the main ingredient is Coke.  People usually put a strawberry syrup on it.

No wonder this country is so obese.

Written By: spaceace on 11/29/06 at 3:42 pm

I'm not sure if I'd want to eat something like that.  :P 

Written By: Stompgal on 12/06/06 at 12:57 pm

When I go to a funfair, they tend to sell food such as popcorn, hot dogs, candy floss (the UK name for cotton candy), burgers and toffee apples (candy apples). These foods are sold at the funfair in Barry Island, Wales.

In 1993, I went to a funfair during my holiday in America and they sold massive pretzels.

Written By: KKay on 12/06/06 at 1:31 pm

candy apples. yum

Subject: Fair (or Carnival) Food

Written By: Dude111 on 12/15/22 at 7:46 am

I get Fried Dough when I go and Pizza!!

Along with Coke and Soft Pretzels if they have em :)

Written By: Howard on 12/15/22 at 1:46 pm

cotton candy

Written By: Ripley on 12/15/22 at 2:50 pm

Pronto pups! A pretzel with cheese and funnel cakes.

Written By: nally on 01/26/23 at 9:45 pm

Waffle cones and soft pretzels readily come to mind. I remember eating those anytime I went to a carnival (growing up) or a county fair.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/23 at 3:01 am

Deep Fried Oreos

Check for new replies or respond here...