inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: *Appetizers*

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/23/06 at 1:56 am

What are some of your favorite appetizers, either from a restaurant or that you make at home?

I make homemade potao skins. I bake the potatoes for an hour, then let them cool & then cut them in half, preferably small potatos, scoop out the potato, leaving about a 1/4 inch of potato, then I stuff them with a combination of shredded medium cheddar & monterey jack cheeses, lots of crumbled up fried bacon, some chopped green onions & top with a couple black olive slices, then bake/broil for a few minutes until cheese all melty & the potato shell is crisp, serve with hidden valley ranch dip made fresh.  My friends always love these & there are never any left over unless I go crazy & make 2 huge trays.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_Rtop2RRFk7MARu2jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsNXZtZnJjBHNlYwNwcm9mBHZ0aWQDSTk5OV83Mw--/SIG=12klmhdjh/EXP=1159080617/**http%3a//www.renosroadhouse.com/images/menu/view_cheddarTaters.jpg

Subject: Re: *Appetizers*

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/23/06 at 2:24 am

Mozzarella sticks, potato skins, calamari; spinach,crab and artichoke dip, onion rings, fried zucchini and mussels w/olive oil and garlic.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/23/06 at 2:27 am

shrimp cocktail is always a good choice

Mozzarella sticks, potato skins, calamari; spinach,crab and artichoke dip, onion rings, fried zucchini and mussels w/olive oil and garlic.
every one an excellent choice Beth.  8)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/23/06 at 2:30 am

shrimp cocktail is always a good choice
every one an excellent choice Beth.  8)

Thanks.  TGI Friday's has the best mozz sticks and potato skins, the calamari and spinich, crab and artichoke dip goes to Joe's Crab Shack, although McCormick & Schmicks makes a good one too.....the onion rings go to Leona's, the fried zucchini to Giordano's and the mussels w/olive oil and garlic go McCormicks. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/23/06 at 2:32 am

[quote author=

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/23/06 at 11:11 am

Shrimp cocktail is a classic one for me. Oysters, if I can get them. But I am more of a soup or salad before entree kind of girl.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/23/06 at 7:50 pm

I make a mean spinach & artichoke dip....mmmm, just thinking about it makes me want some!  :D

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 09/23/06 at 9:18 pm

Seven layer dip
Mozzarella sticks
Potato skins
Artichoke & spinach dip
Southwestern Eggrolls
Chips & Salsa

I've been to Chili's way too many times  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/24/06 at 2:14 am

I make a mean spinach & artichoke dip....mmmm, just thinking about it makes me want some!  :D
Lady Di makes both of those very good, man, that hot artichoke dip on some crackers, and the spinach sip with french bread pieces? yummy.

Seven layer dip
Mozzarella sticks
Potato skins
Artichoke & spinach dip
Southwestern Eggrolls
Chips & Salsa

I've been to Chili's way too many times  ;D
& Chili's has the onion appetizer, the awesome blossom?

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/24/06 at 2:35 am

8) I agree with ALL...I am getting REALLY hungry...and I already ate!!!...Munchies BIG time!!!

Written By: Gis on 09/24/06 at 12:41 pm

Can you tell me how to make fried zucchini (or courgettes as we call them in the U.K!) ?

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/25/06 at 3:24 pm

Artichoke & spinach dip
Chips & Salsa
Awesome Blossom
Bruschetta
Nachos
Buffalo wings
Deep Fried zucchini & onion rings

Heck I usually get the Sampler platter for my main meal :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/25/06 at 3:27 pm

What are some of your favorite appetizers, either from a restaurant or that you make at home?

I make homemade potao skins. I bake the potatoes for an hour, then let them cool & then cut them in half, preferably small potatos, scoop out the potato, leaving about a 1/4 inch of potato, then I stuff them with a combination of shredded medium cheddar & monterey jack cheeses, lots of crumbled up fried bacon, some chopped green onions & top with a couple black olive slices, then bake/broil for a few minutes until cheese all melty & the potato shell is crisp, serve with hidden valley ranch dip made fresh.  My friends always love these & there are never any left over unless I go crazy & make 2 huge trays.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_Rtop2RRFk7MARu2jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsNXZtZnJjBHNlYwNwcm9mBHZ0aWQDSTk5OV83Mw--/SIG=12klmhdjh/EXP=1159080617/**http%3a//www.renosroadhouse.com/images/menu/view_cheddarTaters.jpg

Oh, I love potato skins!  :D

Back in the 80's I worked at this Mexican restaurant that used to serve them, and they were awesome!!!  :)

Another appetizer that I really enjoy is deep fried mushrooms or deep fried zucchini...yum!  8)

Written By: Wiffle on 09/25/06 at 10:08 pm

I love potato skins but haven't had them in many years. We don't eat too many appetisers. I like a bowl of french onion soup from time to time as a starter though.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/25/06 at 10:11 pm

^^^

Panera has a great french onion soup in a sourdough bread bowl. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/26/06 at 12:20 am

Can you tell me how to make fried zucchini (or courgettes as we call them in the U.K!) ?
I've never made them, because the restaurants make them so good and crispy, I'd just rather buy them, but you can always go the the Food Network online and get good recipes

Artichoke & spinach dip
Chips & Salsa
Awesome Blossom
Bruschetta
Nachos
Buffalo wings
Deep Fried zucchini & onion rings

Heck I usually get the Sampler platter for my main meal :D
Black Angus has their Wagon Wheel Sampler which has a good variety and is a lot of food, buffalo chicken strips, fried zucchini, shrimp cocktail, potao skins & that easily makes a full meal if you like.

Oh, I love potato skins!  :D

Back in the 80's I worked at this Mexican restaurant that used to serve them, and they were awesome!!!  :)

Another appetizer that I really enjoy is deep fried mushrooms or deep fried zucchini...yum!  8)

I love skins too, and I make em good, but they are a lot of work but always worth it.

I love potato skins but haven't had them in many years. We don't eat too many appetisers. I like a bowl of french onion soup from time to time as a starter though.
oh Gosh yes! french onion soup if made well is wonderful.

^^^

Panera has a great french onion soup in a sourdough bread bowl. 
what is panera? a restaurant?  We used to go near Fishermans Wharf in San Francsico at Christmas time where they converted a warehouse at one of the piers into the Dickens Fair and had old English style Christmas, game booths, crafts, food and we always got the french onion soup, the best I ever had, unfortunately they dont have it there any longer as there was damage to the place in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthqauke.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/26/06 at 12:21 am

what is panera? a restaurant? 

Yup.

Written By: Gis on 09/26/06 at 2:45 am

What is the food network?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/26/06 at 2:51 am

What is the food network?
It's a cable TV channel we have here that is on 24 hours a day   http://www.foodnetwork.com   There are regular chefs that have 30 minute shows, and a wide variety of shows that focus on regional cuisines, and they go to restaurants and special cooking events, contests, seasonal shows. and there are a ton of recipes available at the website.

Written By: Gis on 09/26/06 at 3:02 am

It's a cable TV channel we have here that is on 24 hours a day   http://www.foodnetwork.com   There are regular chefs that have 30 minute shows, and a wide variety of shows that focus on regional cuisines, and they go to restaurants and special cooking events, contests, seasonal shows. and there are a ton of recipes available at the website.
Thanks, it does look dead easy. I was imagining they were battered or something.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/26/06 at 11:03 pm

8) We watch the Food Network ALL the time...I love Emiral, Mario, Bobby Flay, and Rachel Ray

Written By: Wiffle on 09/27/06 at 12:00 am

oh Gosh yes! french onion soup if made well is wonderful.

I may have lost my best recipe in a move, but I got a recipe out of Vegetarian Times, then subbed beef stock. We had a delicious French onion soup in a little restaurant in Fishermans Wharf a few months ago. I will have some at La Madeleine every so often, but it isn't the best in town.

As for breaded fried appetizers, I've had my fill through the years. The new "Fridays" appetizers look interesting though, here in the Dallas area they are advertising "green bean" fries, fried mac and cheese nuggets, and some other weird stuff.

Edited for atrocious spelling!  :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/27/06 at 1:11 am

8) We watch the Food Network ALL the time...I love Emiral, Mario, Bobby Flay, and Rachel Ray
it's a great channel, but I'm kind of burned out on all the chefs, and watch mainly for the regional visits and specialty shows.

I may have lost my best recipe in a move, but I got a recipe out of Vegetarian Times, then subbed beef stock. We had a delicious French onion soup in a little restaurant in Fishermans Wharf a few months ago. I will have some at La Madeleine every so often, but it isn't the best in town.

As for breaded fried appetizers, I've had my fill through the years. The new "Fridays" appetizers look interesting though, here in the Dallas area they are advertising "green bean" fries, fried mac and cheese nuggets, and some other weird stuff.

Edited for atrocious spelling!  :D
I saw a commercial for the fried mac&cheese and it looked yucky, I would have to be totally high or starving to eat that. too bad you lost your fav recipe for the soup. I'm feeling like I want some French onion soup soon. that sounds good.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/27/06 at 9:19 am

speaking of appetizers...I think I am going to make some potato skins with our dinner tonight!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/28/06 at 8:21 pm

speaking of appetizers...I think I am going to make some potato skins with our dinner tonight!
did you make some?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 8:27 pm

did you make some?

ya, they turned out pretty good...but none of us have been feeling well the past couple of days...so we ate a few...and then, meh...that was the extent of the excitement! lol ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/28/06 at 10:04 pm

ya, they turned out pretty good...but none of us have been feeling well the past couple of days...so we ate a few...and then, meh...that was the extent of the excitement! lol ;D
sounds good, even though y'all were a bit under the weather.  I haven't made any in awhile, and may do that this weekend. What kind of dip/dressing  did you have with them?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 10:05 pm

sounds good, even though y'all were a bit under the weather.  I haven't made any in awhile, and may do that this weekend. What kind of dip/dressing  did you have with them?

I used a caesar dressing...it was pretty good.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/28/06 at 10:09 pm

I used a caesar dressing...it was pretty good.
yeah, that's different because, I usually go with ranch.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 10:11 pm

yeah, that's different because, I usually go with ranch.

I was gonna go with ranch but we were out of it...so, caesar was the next best thing. :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/28/06 at 10:17 pm

I was gonna go with ranch but we were out of it...so, caesar was the next best thing. :D
the last time I made Ceasar salad, i was out of ceasar dressing so I used ranch  :) I like using up what we have. I don't like to waste food.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/06 at 10:19 pm

the last time I made Ceasar salad, i was out of ceasar dressing so I used ranch  :) I like using up what we have. I don't like to waste food.

me too...and I am used to making strange combinations...especially with different condiments.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/29/06 at 12:19 am

I DETEST Ranch dressing.  If I eat potato skins, I dip them in ketchup.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/29/06 at 1:09 am

[quote author=

Written By: Gis on 09/29/06 at 3:28 am

I prefer potato skins with mayo but ketchup is good too.

Written By: Wiffle on 09/30/06 at 1:34 am

too bad you lost your fav recipe for the soup. I'm feeling like I want some French onion soup soon. that sounds good.

I'm carmelizing 5 pounds of sliced onions right now for French onion soup. I decided to try a recipe off Allrecipes.com. Usually I pick the recipe with five stars and the most reviews but today I decided to try the underdog recipe: five stars and four reviews (there is one recipe with 268 reviews). For the cheese on top I'm going to use a combo of fresh mozarella, swiss and romano. Should be very good!

While the onions are cooking I am going to have a salad of tomatoes, sliced mozarella, fresh ground sea salt and pepper,basil, with some balsamic vinegar, topped with fresh basil from my herb garden...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/30/06 at 2:02 am

I'm carmelizing 5 pounds of sliced onions right now for French onion soup. I decided to try a recipe off Allrecipes.com. Usually I pick the recipe with five stars and the most reviews but today I decided to try the underdog recipe: five stars and four reviews (there is one recipe with 268 reviews). For the cheese on top I'm going to use a combo of fresh mozarella, swiss and romano. Should be very good!

While the onions are cooking I am going to have a salad of tomatoes, sliced mozarella, fresh ground sea salt and pepper,basil, with some balsamic vinegar, topped with fresh basil from my herb garden...
Dang Wiffle  :o  you got it going on!!!! sounds great. I've used recipes from that website myself and I usually print them out and keep them if they are good. if you have it still, send me the link to this french onion soup.  and you're having that awesome mozzarella-tomato-basil appetizer that we all love here in this house. I love that stuff so much with the olive oil & pepper. enjoy!!! 

Written By: Tam on 10/03/06 at 10:50 pm

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:zg-pd3mTqKy1RM:http://www.ambulance-chaser.net/images/Bruschetta.jpg

My fav appetizer is Bruschetta Bread.

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/03/06 at 10:55 pm

8) I love the free chips and white cheese dip at Mexican restaurants...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/04/06 at 1:50 am

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:zg-pd3mTqKy1RM:http://www.ambulance-chaser.net/images/Bruschetta.jpg

My fav appetizer is Bruschetta Bread.
oh yeah, that stuff rocks! Trader Joes sells a Brushetta mixture that my friend brought to work for lunch and it was very good.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/04/06 at 2:09 am

8) I love the free chips and white cheese dip at Mexican restaurants...
I am not familiar with the white cheese dip, but I kinda prefer salsa with chips

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/04/06 at 2:32 am

I am not familiar with the white cheese dip, but I kinda prefer salsa with chips

It's usually a white cheddar mixed with pepper jack.  It's yummy.  On The Border has a delicious one.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/04/06 at 2:41 am

[quote author=

Written By: Stompgal on 03/01/07 at 5:05 am

Last Christmas my mum made some bruschettas and they were lovely. We ate them with horseradish dip and king prawns. Other appetisers I like are breaded garlic mushrooms, prawn cocktail, Pizza Hut's Salad Bowls and Red Pepper Dip with Warm Pitta Bread from Nando's.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/02/07 at 4:30 pm

The restaurant we usually go to makes the BEST calamari-they saute it, NOT fry it.

I also like:
mozzerella sticks
shrimp cocktail
salad
soup (depending on the soup)
stuffed mushrooms

I'm sure there are more but that is all I can think of right now.

Cat

Written By: chiefyamick on 03/04/07 at 11:10 pm

Definitely artichoke/spinach dip....

...sorry was drooling on keyboard ;)

also fried eggplant strips- yummmm

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/06/07 at 11:48 am

Long Stringy onion rings, Cocnut Shrimp or Beer battered shrimp w/honey mustard sauce.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/16/07 at 10:23 am

Oh, I had these stuffed hot peppers once as an appetizer...they were yummy!

Written By: spaceace on 04/16/07 at 3:40 pm

I love stuffed mushrooms, onion blooms, and cheese fries. :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/16/07 at 6:12 pm

Spinach artichoke dip.  Yum.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/16/07 at 9:31 pm

Frog Legs, this steak house near me makes excellent cajun frog legs. they are a little on the expensive side
but they are well worth it.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/16/07 at 9:42 pm

Frog Legs, this steak house near me makes excellent cajun frog legs. they are a little on the expensive side
but they are well worth it.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/barf.gif

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/17/07 at 3:30 am

we ordered an appetizer at Tahoe Joe's last night called Onion Straws, which were basically french fried onions, similar to the awesome blossom, but not all in one piece

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/17/07 at 3:04 pm

I found a really good Bruschetta at Costco the other day...

...it's wonderful spread on toasted pieces of French bread!  :)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/27/07 at 3:29 pm

I'm pretty flexible when it comes to appetizers....I've never seen one that didn't look/sound tasty :P

I think my fave would be anything Mexican :D

Written By: nally on 05/20/16 at 5:15 pm

Sometimes I'll just have cheese & crackers as an appetizer.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/16 at 7:41 am

http://previews.123rf.com/images/elenathewise/elenathewise0908/elenathewise090800212/5395587-Platter-of-assorted-fresh-vegetables-with-dip-Stock-Photo-snacks-vegetable-healthy.jpg

my favorite is vegetables and dip.

Written By: nally on 05/21/16 at 11:42 am

http://previews.123rf.com/images/elenathewise/elenathewise0908/elenathewise090800212/5395587-Platter-of-assorted-fresh-vegetables-with-dip-Stock-Photo-snacks-vegetable-healthy.jpg

my favorite is vegetables and dip.

Same here; we often get a platter like that for having parties. O0

Written By: Howard on 05/21/16 at 2:31 pm

Same here; we often get a platter like that for having parties. O0

plus I always go to some parties and I see crackers and salsa.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/21/16 at 9:51 pm

I rarely order appetizers at a restaurant, but when I do, it's usually something like fried mushrooms or spinach and artichoke dip with chips.

Written By: nally on 04/01/17 at 7:43 pm

plus I always go to some parties and I see crackers and salsa.

Yep, those are often appealing as well. Or chips & salsa. :D

Written By: Howard on 04/02/17 at 4:27 pm

pigs in a blanket.

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/05/17 at 10:24 pm

My sister and I were just discussing the cost of appetizers at restaurants. She said she paid for a 20 dollar appetizer at an expensive eatery downtown, and that those nowadays can be from 7 to 15 bucks. I disagree with her that is the normal price for an appetizer. I usually won't get anything before dinner unless I buy it as a meal, then I don't have the restaurant's dinner.

Written By: annimal on 04/05/17 at 10:30 pm

I haven't had onion rings in a while

Written By: Howard on 04/06/17 at 5:32 am

I haven't had onion rings in a while

onion rings are delicious.

Written By: annimal on 04/06/17 at 1:37 pm

aren't they

Check for new replies or respond here...