inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beef Jerky

Written By: whistledog on 09/23/06 at 3:29 am

Does anyone like Beef Jerky and other types of sausage snacks?

http://www.eggersbettermeats.com/images/BeefStks.gif http://www.eggersbettermeats.com/images/PepStks.gif

There's a brand in Canada called Schneider's Hot Rods that I sometimes get by the singles if I'm waiting in a checkout line cause they are usually 2/$1

http://www.schneiders.ca/products/images/Hot_rodgroup.jpg

There's another brand called Piller's Pep Stix that come in flavours so hot, I make sure to have a good supply of water at hand whenever I eat them ;D

Subject: Re: Beef Jerky

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/23/06 at 10:11 am

I like beef jerky.  A good snack after a night of drinking, or anytime actually.  I couldn't tell you what brand I get because I'm usually glazed over at the time of purchase :D , but I enjoy peppered and teriyaki flavors. :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/23/06 at 11:09 am

Can't get enough of it!!!

I love it so much that I got my son into it since he was younger.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/23/06 at 12:54 pm

Love it. I used to live on it. I also like Slim Jims, too. There is a local place that sells maple flavor jerky-YUMMY!!!!

Cat

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 09/23/06 at 9:15 pm

I always get the Peppered flavor beef jerky. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/23/06 at 9:18 pm

I have loved Slim Jims since I was young....and I sometimes like beef jerky (when I'm in the mood for it).

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/23/06 at 11:29 pm

No, I can't stand the stuff.  I tried some once and almost ripped a tooth out trying to eat it.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/24/06 at 2:42 am

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/24/06 at 12:37 pm

8) my husband makes the BEST Homemade beef jerky...We have one of those machine-layer things that you put it in...Whether its Venison..or just beef from the supermarket...My husband has his own special seasoning he puts on it...its the best...you will never buy anything better...( and it doesnt rip your teeth out!..) ;D

I was a vegetarian for over 10 years, so my meat-eating is very limited....even now.  I tried some because my friend was eating it, but that's the last time.  I rarely eat meat anyway and I most definately do not eat venison. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/24/06 at 1:37 pm

8) my husband makes the BEST Homemade beef jerky...We have one of those machine-layer things that you put it in...Whether its Venison..or just beef from the supermarket...My husband has his own special seasoning he puts on it...its the best...you will never buy anything better...( and it doesnt rip your teeth out!..) ;D

Mmmm...homemade is the best.  A close second is Othello.  I don't care what flavor - I like them all.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/25/06 at 11:58 am

I always get the Peppered flavor beef jerky. 

That's my favorite!!  8)

My dad and my father-in-law also like to make beef jerky from scratch...and it's pretty good!

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/25/06 at 3:17 pm

Beef jerky and Pepper sticks are great.  I had a real bad craving at work once, ran up to Target, bought a bag, and I ate the whole thing for lunch.

Written By: Watcher29 on 09/26/06 at 11:36 am

Jack Link's Kippered Beef Steak - I always carry these for my hypoglycemic emergency food rations. And they're not bad for just a snack.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/26/06 at 10:40 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/26/06 at 10:41 pm

8)  If my husband made it..I bet you would...When we have someone over that says that we dont tell them its Venison....They eat it and then we tell em,...They cant believe it!...The way my hubby makes it, you cant even tell its Venison..no wild taste..its really good and better for you...more lean

No, that's alright.  I don't eat much red meat anyway, so even if you told me it was beef and it wasn't, I still probably wouldn't eat it.  I don't have a real taste for meat anymore, anyway.  I can really take it or leave it.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/26/06 at 10:44 pm

8) next time we make some I will send you some..Maybe you will change your mind!..... ::)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/27/06 at 1:58 am

I like it, i don't really buy it anymore, but my wife and daughter always pick up 1 or 2 big bags from costco, but not beef, they get the Turkey Jerky teriyaki flavored http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xW3IBpF4mUBvaajzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=11qv1jnvf/EXP=1159426615/**http%3a//costco.yaroze.jp/pics/57699.jpg

Written By: twistedwarp on 09/29/06 at 7:44 am

I love them. but gotta stay away from those greasy snacks.. I eat them rarely.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/15/07 at 7:16 pm

Beef Jerky is a good snack. I've had some homemade jerky from country stores before, that stuff is very good.

Written By: Marian on 02/22/07 at 2:14 pm

I like when Big lots has it  for $3,oo an 8 ounce bag.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/22/07 at 3:41 pm

Beef Jerky is a good snack. I've had some homemade jerky from country stores before, that stuff is very good.

My dad likes to make it from scratch, and his is so much better than any I've had from stores... :)

Written By: NullandVoid on 02/23/07 at 10:42 pm

On a occasion I'll have the Teriyaki flavored jerky

Written By: karen on 02/26/07 at 9:47 am

The picture in the first post looked a little like Peperami but Peperami is pork salami.  I don't think you can buy beef jerky in the UK

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/26/07 at 10:33 am

It's good as an once in a blue moon snack

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/26/07 at 10:59 am

The picture in the first post looked a little like Peperami but Peperami is pork salami.  I don't think you can buy beef jerky in the UK

Why not?

Written By: Henk on 02/26/07 at 2:56 pm

Does anyone remember the Hedgehog flavored ones, or the Skunktail? The Diaper...? The Alien Abduction Flavor...? ::)

If you don't, you've probably never seen The Amanda Show. ;)

FYI: I've never had a beef jerky, and I don't think they're available in shops over here.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/26/07 at 3:05 pm

I like my beef products to not look like leather.  ;D

Written By: karen on 02/28/07 at 4:38 am

Why not?

'cos it's an American thing?  Maybe I've just not spotted it because I wasn't looking for it.  I shall keep my eyes peeled next time I am in the supermarket

Written By: karen on 04/18/07 at 4:22 am

'cos it's an American thing?  Maybe I've just not spotted it because I wasn't looking for it.  I shall keep my eyes peeled next time I am in the supermarket

I spotted it last week in Sainsburys in the snack food aisle.  It looked expensive though £1.99 for a really small pack

Written By: spaceace on 04/18/07 at 4:52 pm

I love Slim Jims I could eat tons of it. :)

Written By: Elizabeth.xox on 07/30/07 at 11:02 pm

I have never tried beef jerky but I tried moose jerky once ..it tasted like bacon  :o

Written By: Brigitte on 09/22/07 at 1:17 pm

I like this brand...http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Brigitte_B/jerkey-1.gif

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/22/07 at 7:43 pm

I only know of Jerky dog treats. Not heard of the human food.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/28/07 at 11:52 pm

I only know of Jerky dog treats. Not heard of the human food.

You haven't lived.  Jerky is like pizza.  Even when it's not that great, it's good.

Jerky is a way to take all of the nutritional value (and most of the flavor!) of a pound of steak with you, wherever you go, without refrigeration, and fit it in a $5.00 half-pound re-sealable bag that you can toss in the bottom of your backpack.

If it looks expensive ("What?  $6.00 for an 8-oz bag?"), that's because that little bag of stuff at the "impulse buy" display by the checkout stand holds the dehydrated remains of about 2-3 pounds of beef, which (assuming a nice lean piece of the toughest chuck roast on the day before its "use or freeze by" date, at about $2/pound) would cost you about $6.00.

Unlike the chuck roast (which would make a great braise or stew if you wanted to cook it for about 4-6 hours and eat it within a few days), however, the jerky can be stuffed in the bottom of your backpack, the pocket of your jeans, or even your glove compartment or trunk.  It cannot rot.  It cannot spoil.  It will be there six months later when you find yourself 100 miles from the nearest burger joint and feeling hungry.  And it will be as delicious then as it was the day you bought it.

Check for new replies or respond here...