inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Waffle House

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/13/06 at 6:19 pm

Anyone venture to a Waffle House? I've only been to one, but I noticed they were scattered all over Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina.

Subject: Re: Waffle House

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/13/06 at 7:08 pm

Waffle Houses are all over the South.  My sister and I count them on our drive up from Georgia to Illinois.  I think the last count was like 50 or something.  They have great food....I especially love their hash browns diced and capped. 

For those that don't know what that means, when you order hash browns you can get them in several ways:

smothered = onions
covered = cheese
cubed = ham
capped = mushrooms
diced = tomatoes

You can get jalepenos on them, but I don't remember what the word for that is.

Written By: KKay on 10/13/06 at 7:20 pm

ok.. i love Waffle House.  I spent about 8 years traveling for work and have been to probably all of them.  You konw they have the Waffle House song on the jukebox?  I played it, stood on a stool and put a tape recorder up to the ceiling speaker.  We learned it and sang it at every stop.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/13/06 at 7:32 pm

All I remember getting there was a grilled cheese and I had the tightest jeans on and had just gotten off of a 6 hour flight, so I was thoroughly exhausted, lol. But, I thought it was good at the time. I did go to the jukebox and play the Moody Blue's "Nights in White Satin."

Written By: KKay on 10/13/06 at 7:37 pm

I did go to the jukebox and play the Moody Blue's "Nights in White Satin."

Waflle House rocks hard.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/13/06 at 7:40 pm

Waflle House rocks hard.

Yeah, I'll never quite forget that. It was my first time back east and it was the first restaurant I went to. I also discovered one sour note, though. Toilet seat covers are seldom found in the bathrooms  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/13/06 at 9:24 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/13/06 at 9:30 pm

Used to go all the time in NC.  Closest one is in Indianapolis now.  Always good to have cheap food served by GWNTs.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/13/06 at 11:26 pm

I loved them every time I ventured down south to see relatives and as a college student in Georgia!! Good times, indeed.

I can't imagine them being any good above the Mason-Dixon line though. It will lose it's "down-home" flavor.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/13/06 at 11:33 pm

All I remember getting there was a grilled cheese and I had the tightest jeans on and had just gotten off of a 6 hour flight, so I was thoroughly exhausted, lol. But, I thought it was good at the time. I did go to the jukebox and play the Moody Blue's "Nights in White Satin."
I'm not sure how your tight jeans fit into the waffle story,  but thanks for the imagery  ;D  good choice at the jukebox. that was our theme song one wild weekend, me and some friends camping at the river.

so is this one of those waffle joints that you have fried chicken with your waffles?  I've seen that on food network and would love a go at that.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/14/06 at 12:59 am

so is this one of those waffle joints that you have fried chicken with your waffles?  I've seen that on food network and would love a go at that.

No, this is not one of those places.  You're thinking of another establishment.....I think Patti LaBelle's restaurant, I believe.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/14/06 at 1:02 am

[quote author=

Written By: Davester on 10/14/06 at 1:30 am

Anyone venture to a Waffle House? I've only been to one, but I noticed they were scattered all over Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina.

A particular event involving my wife, my son and a Waffle House near Tulsa, Oklahoma, in 1988, haunts me to this day...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/14/06 at 1:37 am

A particular event involving my wife, my son and a Waffle House near Tulsa, Oklahoma, in 1988, haunts me to this day...
should we ask you to detail this haunting Waffle House event for our amusement?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/14/06 at 12:03 pm

No, this is not one of those places.  You're thinking of another establishment.....I think Patti LaBelle's restaurant, I believe.

He's talking about Roscoe's. Gladys Knight has a similiar chain.

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/14/06 at 12:09 pm

Man I haven't ate at a Waffle house since I was a kid.

Everytime we went to Mississippi we'd go to one. I guess we don't have them in Texas, I don't recall ever seeing them here.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/14/06 at 1:09 pm

He's talking about Roscoe's. Gladys Knight has a similiar chain.
with or without Pips?  either way, waffles and fried chicken seem like such an odd combo, but the people I saw on tv at the restaurant were all over it! 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/14/06 at 2:02 pm

I'm not sure how your tight jeans fit into the waffle story,  but thanks for the imagery  ;D  good choice at the jukebox. that was our theme song one wild weekend, me and some friends camping at the river.

lol, that was mentioned in note to the feeling exhaustion part and about to burst out of my jeans and feeling like I couldn't breathe.  ;D I can't even remember how I stuffed that sandwich in me feeling so bloated and exhausted. It was a major blur. But, I remember eating there - and that's what counts,  ;D

Waffle Houses are just a major chain of breakfast joints, primarily in the South. They're kinda like a Denny's in a way.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/14/06 at 5:01 pm

Waffle House is like 10 times more ghetto than Denny's but oh so good :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/14/06 at 5:12 pm

lol, that was mentioned in note to the feeling exhaustion part and about to burst out of my jeans and feeling like I couldn't breathe.  ;D I can't even remember how I stuffed that sandwich in me feeling so bloated and exhausted. It was a major blur. But, I remember eating there - and that's what counts,  ;D

Waffle Houses are just a major chain of breakfast joints, primarily in the South. They're kinda like a Denny's in a way.

;D & I thought you were just showing off. I have a 3 track mind.  There are years of my life that are a  major blur. I want a waffle with syrup and butter, sometime real soon.

Written By: DJ Midas on 10/19/06 at 11:08 pm

There's a few here in the Valley but it's been forever since I've frequented them (because they're not terribly near me and I love The Good Egg for breakfast if I'm going to drive that far for food), but I used to go all the time in NC.

Written By: Jessica on 10/20/06 at 10:27 am

Man I haven't ate at a Waffle house since I was a kid.

Everytime we went to Mississippi we'd go to one. I guess we don't have them in Texas, I don't recall ever seeing them here.

You have them there. I'm not sure where you're located, so I pulled up all the Texas locations.

http://www.wafflehouse.com/locfinder_results.asp?unitState=TX&unitCity=&Submit.x=5&Submit.y=9&offset=0

I've eaten at the Waffle House once. Delicious food, but the closest one is in Indy. So we usually go to the Original Pancake House. Just as good, but a bit more expensive.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/27/06 at 4:34 pm

Waffle House is like 10 times more ghetto than Denny's but oh so good :D

Yeah, actually, I watched a news report where a reporter was going to about 10 different major food chains in the east and viewing video tapes of how the food inspectors found these nasty things wrong with the restaurants. The worst on their list was Wafflehouse, and it so happened to be the one I ate at - lol.  ;D

Written By: rsbryswrrl on 03/10/08 at 1:54 pm

I'm from VA, and I must say I can't stand Waffle Heezy (we affectionately call it that down here).  Although, there is a place in the East End of Richmond near the airport that actually has two Waffle Houses on the same stretch of road and you can see them from the parking lots of each one.  We are saturated with them down here!

Check for new replies or respond here...