inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Family Owned Restaurants or Chain Restaurants?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/15/06 at 10:34 pm

Which do you prefer to go to? Restaurants that are family owned...or the bigger chain restaurants?  In my opinion, I would rather patronize locally owned businesses. That's not saying that I don't go to places like Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Eat-n-Park, etc...but I would rather go to small, family owned restaurants. We have a place in our area called, "Jioio's"...they have the best pizza and Italian food. Chris and I go there a lot of times on our date nights.  I don't know...there's just something cozy about sitting in that type of restaurant on a Friday or Saturday night....it's totally packed with patrons...and run by family members...they usually have the best food too.

Subject: Re: Family Owned Restaurants or Chain Restaurants?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/15/06 at 10:38 pm

I have no preference.

Written By: whistledog on 10/15/06 at 10:54 pm

I used to go to Family Owned Restaurants often, but the food they serve is usually too much for me to eat.  Fries and Gravy comes on this jumbo sized plate with a mountain of fries.  I get

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/16/06 at 10:02 am

I'm prefer family owned places.  There's a little Italian resturant near our house called Chef Tom's, and it has, hands down, the best Italian food I've ever had.  We go there at least once a month.  I also like little family bakeries and coffee shops - I would much rather support a local family than a big corporation.

Written By: KKay on 10/16/06 at 10:15 am

I'm a fan of the family owned joint.  There are three on the island that i love.  Canlon's has great italian and steaks and a 5 person bar that I love.  it's been in their family for three generations.
The Rosebank Fountain is an old soda fountain that is now a little diner.  The food is ready in seconds.  Great for a grilled cheese or burger.
Last is The Bridge- it is the place where the movie "Two Story House" (wrong title...something like that- about a bar and the people that live upstairs...)  was filmed...It has been open since before the construction of the Bayonne Bridge (not sure the year) and though it changed hands, the decor is the same since then.

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 10/18/06 at 9:36 pm

I usually like Family Owned better. We had the best mexican restaurant that was family owned. Sadly it closed down 2 years ago. :\'(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/19/06 at 9:02 pm

No preference here.

Written By: DJ Midas on 10/19/06 at 11:01 pm

Family owned.  More often than not the overall quality of food is better, and if the family cares to stay in business, so is the service.

Written By: McDonald on 10/21/06 at 1:23 pm

Well, I'll go to any restaurant at least once, but I prefer neither the chain nor the family owned. I prefer the privately owned haute cuisine places with a talented chef and an excellent wine list. That comes from having worked in one of those places for a long time. One thing I like is that around here, a lot of restaurants let you bring your own wine, which certainly saves money. You know the kind of mark-up a restaurant pulls on a bottle of wine.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 10/25/06 at 12:08 pm

Well, I'll go to any restaurant at least once, but I prefer neither the chain nor the family owned. I prefer the privately owned haute cuisine places with a talented chef and an excellent wine list. That comes from having worked in one of those places for a long time. One thing I like is that around here, a lot of restaurants let you bring your own wine, which certainly saves money. You know the kind of mark-up a restaurant pulls on a bottle of wine.

Yeah, but do they charge a corking fee? Most places that let you bring in your own wine, charge a small fee to open it.

Written By: McDonald on 10/27/06 at 12:02 pm

Yeah, but do they charge a corking fee? Most places that let you bring in your own wine, charge a small fee to open it.

I believe they do, but I'd rather pay a $5 fee than a $50 one.

Subject: Family Owned Restaurants or Chain Restaurants?

Written By: Dude111 on 12/09/17 at 6:11 pm

Family owned in my opinion........... Better Quality food,etc............ (And today thats quite important)

Written By: nally on 12/23/17 at 10:05 pm

Family owned in my opinion........... Better Quality food,etc............ (And today thats quite important)

I agree... in fact, I have been to several family-owned restaurants which I enjoy, including an Italian one that we go to frequently. :)

On the other hand, there are various chain restaurants I like, particularly of the sit-down type. But if I had a choice, I'd pick family-owned first.

Written By: Howard on 12/24/17 at 5:24 am

I would say family-owned restaurants cause you get to know most of the people there and you can start a relationship with them when you visit the place frequently.

Written By: nally on 12/24/17 at 5:24 pm

I would say family-owned restaurants cause you get to know most of the people there and you can start a relationship with them when you visit the place frequently.

So true!

In fact, the Italian restaurant that I mentioned in my last post, we know the owners of the place, and they are great people. We've also gotten to know a number of the wait staff members there, who also are cordial.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/17 at 7:23 am

So true!

In fact, the Italian restaurant that I mentioned in my last post, we know the owners of the place, and they are great people. We've also gotten to know a number of the wait staff members there, who also are cordial.

There are places My Parents and I go to and we start a relationship with staff and the manager, we say how are you doing and shake hands and all, they have smiling faces. :)

Written By: nally on 12/25/17 at 12:15 pm

There are places My Parents and I go to and we start a relationship with staff and the manager, we say how are you doing and shake hands and all, they have smiling faces. :)

That's wonderful to know. It's always nice to be on excellent terms with people like that. O0

Written By: Howard on 12/25/17 at 5:54 pm

That's wonderful to know. It's always nice to be on excellent terms with people like that. O0

like last year My Parents took me to a restaurant on my birthday and he knew the waiter that went to his senior center and he treated all of us very well. :)

Written By: nally on 12/30/17 at 6:34 pm

like last year My Parents took me to a restaurant on my birthday and he knew the waiter that went to his senior center and he treated all of us very well. :)

Awesome.  :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/30/17 at 7:55 pm

I always prefer family owned restaurants simply because I want to support the local economy.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...