inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you have a specialty?

Written By: spaceace on 10/22/06 at 6:35 pm

I'm told I make the best coffee cake.  I also make a very good beef stew in a crock pot.  What is your gourmet pride and joy? :)

Subject: Re: Do you have a specialty?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/22/06 at 8:50 pm

my spinach & artichoke dip.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/23/06 at 3:17 am

*I make a good pot of chili verde.
*something I haven't made in a long time, is oxtail stew and I make it pretty good and tasty.
*my grilled swordfish kabob appetizers are addicting
*my shrimp scampi kicks butt!
*restaurant quality primerib is served in this house  8) with au jus, & horseradish

Written By: Red Ant on 10/23/06 at 4:28 am

Aside from a few mixed drinks that I've invented, my specialty would have to be hamburger gyros.

Written By: spaceace on 10/23/06 at 10:22 am

I haven't got a very good chili recipe yet.  (I'm looking for victims, I mean taste testers)  :)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/23/06 at 10:55 am

I make a pretty good spaghetti sauce, pot roast, chicken with stuffing casserole thingy, and beef stew in a crockpot.  I also make pretty darned good oven-fried chicken.  Other than that, my kids think I'm the "best grilled-cheese maker in the world" :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/23/06 at 11:27 am

I always get requests for my Fried Rice, Chicken Adobo and Fettuccine Alfredo... 8)

Written By: Tam on 10/23/06 at 11:48 am

Aside from a few mixed drinks that I've invented, my specialty would have to be hamburger gyros.

I know what gyros are - but what exactly are hamburger gyros?

I make a pretty good spaghetti sauce, pot roast, chicken with stuffing casserole thingy, and beef stew in a crockpot.  I also make pretty darned good oven-fried chicken.  Other than that, my kids think I'm the "best grilled-cheese maker in the world" :D

mmmm.... grilled cheese.... c'mon over!

*restaurant quality primerib is served in this house  8) with au jus, & horseradish

you can come over too!!!

I always get requests for my Fried Rice, Chicken Adobo and Fettuccine Alfredo... 8)

Fettuccine alfredo is my fav!! When you flying here Karen? lol

my spinach & artichoke dip.

I love spinach dip but have never tried it with artichoke.

I'm told I make the best coffee cake.  I also make a very good beef stew in a crock pot.  What is your gourmet pride and joy? :)

Coffee cake would taste so good right now!

As for my specialties - I have a knack for just mixing things together - no rhyme or reason.
But I have gotten rave reviews on my Meatball stroganoff and Shepard's Pie!

Written By: spaceace on 10/23/06 at 11:54 am

One coffee cake coming up.  All though I don't trust Federal Express with stuff like that.

Written By: spaceace on 10/23/06 at 11:56 am

And some karma to hold you over. :)

Written By: Tam on 10/23/06 at 12:11 pm

And some karma to hold you over. :)

Right back at you for an excellent thread idea! ;) 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/23/06 at 12:17 pm

As most of you know, I hardly cook but there are a few things I can make. I make a pretty mean stew. I also make some half-way decent fried rice. And salads (not just green/chef salads but macaroni salad, potato salad, etc.)

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/23/06 at 12:35 pm

I am the only one in my family who can make my mom's macaroni salad.  It is a standing request for evey barbecue.  I also make good chicken enchiladas and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

Anyone willing to share their stew recipies?

Written By: spaceace on 10/23/06 at 1:13 pm

*ASH*  Just as soon as I figure out which version of it to send I will.  I make it difefrent for different people.  Do you like it with or without the bayleaf?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/23/06 at 1:58 pm

Fettuccine alfredo is my fav!! When you flying here Karen? lol

Whenever you send me the ticket!  ;D ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/23/06 at 2:04 pm

*ASH*  Just as soon as I figure out which version of it to send I will.  I make it difefrent for different people.  Do you like it with or without the bayleaf?

Probably with the bay leaf.  I like herbs and spices.  I just got one recipie that I'm going to try this weekend.  :)  But please send yours too - after all, winter is long and variety is the spice of life!

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 10/23/06 at 2:32 pm

Potato salad. EVERYBODY loves the way I make it. I'm always requested to make it for b-day parties, and get togethers.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/23/06 at 4:00 pm

I can do a pretty killer side salad too (macaroni, potato, pasta, etc.), but I rarely make any because I'm the only one in my household that will eat most of them :-\\

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/23/06 at 4:03 pm

Anyone willing to share their stew recipies?

I would, except I don't really have a recipe.  It's basically just leftover pot roast (or stew meat) dredged in flour, salt, pepper, onion powder & cornmeal, then put in the crockpot with cubed potatoes & carrots....add a can or two of beef broth, some seasoning, and cook until it looks done.  Sometimes I'll also add a cornmeal/milk mixture to thicken it up.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/24/06 at 12:16 am

Anything vegetarian, especially lasagna.

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/24/06 at 12:29 am

My spaghetti, honey walnut shrimp and lemongrass chicken have been hits here at the house.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/24/06 at 12:40 am

I also make a very good beef stew in a crock pot.  What is your gourmet pride and joy? :)

Anyone can burn your mouth (or other body parts) off with heat.  The trick is to balance the heat with the flavor of the garlic and chili peppers.  Feel free to use a (good, my personal favorites are New Mexican in origin) chili powder, but always add a few real chilis into the mix. The sweet spot is just past the point where it makes your brow break out in sweat.  Too far past, and all you get is heat.  Too far away, and it tastes like that stuff you can get in a can.  Right at that point, it leaves you wanting more.

"Do not meddle in the way of (Foo Bar's) chili, for it is subtle and quick to anger."
- My boss, who's from Texas, to a co-worker of mine, at an office potluck.

That's the highest praise I can ever claim, especially on account of I ain't never been to Texas.

Written By: Gis on 10/24/06 at 10:33 am

Shepherd's pie, spaghetti bolognaise, pumpkin pie, apple and sultana flapjacks, chocolate blancmange.

Written By: spaceace on 10/24/06 at 1:58 pm

Speaking of pumpkin pie my Grandmother made the best Pumpkin pie.  Putting whip cream on it actually ruined it.  Is yours that good? :)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/25/06 at 9:26 am

Speaking of pumpkin pie my Grandmother made the best Pumpkin pie.  Putting whip cream on it actually ruined it.  Is yours that good? :)
According to everyone else, I make a killer pumpkin pie as well.  I wouldn't know because I don't eat it, but I LOVE the smell of it baking so I make a few every holiday season ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/25/06 at 9:43 am

According to everyone else, I make a killer pumpkin pie as well.  I wouldn't know because I don't eat it, but I LOVE the smell of it baking so I make a few every holiday season ;)

Why don't you eat it?

Written By: Jessica on 10/25/06 at 10:00 am

Chicken enchiladas, pasta salad, and chocolate chip cookies.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/25/06 at 11:23 am

Chicken enchiladas, pasta salad, and chocolate chip cookies.

Jessica, I'd love to have your recipe for chicken enchiladas!  :)

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 10/25/06 at 12:06 pm

I used to make a killer peanut brittle with the micorwave. But now we have a new microwave , and I have to get used to the temperature settings. So its gonna take a lot of mistakes before I perfect it again :-\\

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/27/06 at 11:32 am

Why don't you eat it?
I'm just not a fan of pumpkin pie.  I actually cook alot of things I don't eat, but I enjoy cooking so I do it for other people :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/27/06 at 5:15 pm

I'm just not a fan of pumpkin pie.  I actually cook alot of things I don't eat, but I enjoy cooking so I do it for other people :)

That's nice of you.  And you are more than welcome to make pumpkin pie for me any time!  ;) ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/28/06 at 5:05 am

I also make really good grilled peanut butter sandwiches.  You start it out like you were making grilled cheese, but instead of putting cheese between the bread, you put peanut butter.  I prefer crunchy over smooth.  So, you have this yummy toasted bread on the outside, and gooey warm peanut butter in the middle. 

Sometimes I put the peanut butter between flour tortillas and deep fry it and the dust it in powdered sugar.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/28/06 at 11:29 am

I also make really good grilled peanut butter sandwiches.  You start it out like you were making grilled cheese, but instead of putting cheese between the bread, you put peanut butter.  I prefer crunchy over smooth.  So, you have this yummy toasted bread on the outside, and gooey warm peanut butter in the middle. 

Sometimes I put the peanut butter between flour tortillas and deep fry it and the dust it in powdered sugar.

that sounds really good!

Written By: joedeertae on 11/02/06 at 9:18 pm

I make really good, pitt smoked pork ribs and brisket. I used to have a team that did competition cook offs and we did really well, ...
Some friends and I have been talkin about doing it again.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/02/06 at 10:21 pm

I make really good, pitt smoked pork ribs and brisket. I used to have a team that did competition cook offs and we did really well, ...
Some friends and I have been talkin about doing it again.

man, my husband would love you....he totally digs that kind of stuff.

Written By: joedeertae on 11/03/06 at 4:04 am

man, my husband would love you....he totally digs that kind of stuff.

Cool! we should get a team together and find a cook off somewhere between us, say... Kentucky or Tennesse ;D

Written By: karen on 11/03/06 at 5:30 am

My husband does most of the cooking in our house but I generally do any baking.

My Welsh cakes were praised by my mother-in-law who has won various local shows with hers.

I generally get requests to make Stollen every Christmas  I also do pretty good chocolate brownies.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/03/06 at 11:50 am

Cool! we should get a team together and find a cook off somewhere between us, say... Kentucky or Tennesse ;D

that would be fun!  ;D :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/03/06 at 12:20 pm

My husband does most of the cooking in our house but I generally do any baking.

My Welsh cakes were praised by my mother-in-law who has won various local shows with hers.

I generally get requests to make Stollen every Christmas  I also do pretty good chocolate brownies.

What is Stollen?

Written By: Marian on 11/03/06 at 3:58 pm

I make very good spritsar and pepparkakkar.I even collect vintage spritz presses.I also make very good potato salad--or stew--it's a warm kind,Asian style with onions and peanut butter.

Written By: karen on 11/06/06 at 3:41 am

What is Stollen?

It's a German fruity, spicy bread type cake.  The one I make has a roll of marzipan through the middle of it.  All the recipes I found on-line use yeast but the recipe I have at home doesn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stollen

Written By: La Roche on 11/06/06 at 5:43 am

Christmas Burritos.  ;D

Written By: Stompgal on 01/05/07 at 7:54 am

Since moving to London, I've made the following meals that I particularly enjoy cooking:

Couscous salad with tuna or mackerel
Corned beef hash
Tuna pasta bake
Pasta with cheese and ham sauce
Tuna pasta salad
Lemon chicken
Macaroni cheese

Check for new replies or respond here...