inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thanksgiving Dinner

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/01/06 at 12:00 pm

Thanksgiving is coming, and I thought it would be fun to discuss the different things that people have for dinner.  Most people have the basics: turkey, cranberries, stuffing, potatoes and gravy, rolls, and sometimes green bean casserole.  Does your family have its own additions?  Or do you have something else entirely?

We always have the usual, but add celery sticks with cheese, olives, and some kind of sweet salad, usually made with jello.  (This is Utah, after all!) 

My nephew's dad is Mexican (he and my sister are divorced) and my nephew has Thanksgiving with his family every other year.  His grandma makes all of the turkey basics, but then she also makes enchiladas, burritos and chile verde to go along with it.  (I don't know how she does it!)  She knows how much I love her chile, so she always sends me a little bowl of it.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/luvlove.gif

What do you guys have?

Subject: Re: Thanksgiving Dinner

Written By: nally on 11/01/06 at 12:06 pm

Great topic! 8)

Since my mom has Italian family, we always include raviolies with our Thanksgiving dinner, usually in lieu of starchy foods like potatoes and stuffing. Other than that, it's pretty much the basic stuff. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/06 at 12:15 pm

We had our Thanksgiving dinner two days ago (since the whole family was here). Carlos makes mashed potatoes with parnips and rosemary. YUMMY.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/01/06 at 12:47 pm

Our menu usually consists of: turkey, homemade mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry nut dish that my mom makes, regular cranberry sauce, rolls, gravy, corn, and I always make my broccoli, cheese, and rice casserole. Then my mom will make pumpkin & apple pies...and then she usually buys a few pies, and some pumpkin rolls from this specialty shop near us.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/01/06 at 12:54 pm

Then my mom will make pumpkin & apple pies...and then she usually buys a few pies, and some pumpkin rolls from this specialty shop near us.

Oh yes, the pie!  I could eat pumpkin pie every day for the rest of my life and never tire of it. 

Written By: nally on 11/01/06 at 12:55 pm

Oh yes, the pie!  I could eat pumpkin pie every day for the rest of my life and never tire of it. 

So could I! :D ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/01/06 at 1:59 pm

On Thanksgiving, my family will usually have a turkey, mashed potato, stuffing (it has to be Stove Top!), gravy, a green vegetable and fresh cranberry sauce... :)

(I will, on occasion, make candied yams...)

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/06 at 2:37 pm

Usually, it's Ham, Mashed Potatoes w/ Gravy and Stuffing, though this year I never had stuffing.  I totally forgot  :\'(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/01/06 at 4:22 pm

Turkey, meat dressing, bread dressing, buttermilk biscuits, corn, green bean casserole, oyster dressing and various desserts.  None of that cranberry crap at our table.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/01/06 at 4:54 pm

Thanksgiving without cranberry sauce  :o  ?  Unheard of... and it has to be whole berry, not that jellied crap.  Mince Pie, apple pie, and pumpkin pie round it all out very nicely.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/01/06 at 4:58 pm

Thanksgiving without cranberry sauce  :o  ?  Unheard of...

It's not that unheard of.  Thanksgiving without turkey might be unheard of. Neither of my parents like it, so there's no reason to have it.  I personally can't stand cranberries and my sister is ambivalent. 

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/01/06 at 5:10 pm

It's not that unheard of.  Thanksgiving without turkey might be unheard of. Neither of my parents like it, so there's no reason to have it.  I personally can't stand cranberries and my sister is ambivalent. 

I don't like any Thanksgiving foods... 'cept maybe pumpkin pie.

I think last year, we had ham instead of turkey, but I can't be sure, though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/06 at 5:49 pm

Thanksgiving without cranberry sauce  :o  ?  Unheard of... and it has to be whole berry, not that jellied crap.  Mince Pie, apple pie, and pumpkin pie round it all out very nicely.

I'm just the opposite. I like the jellied not the whole berry. This year we had both because Carlos' son likes the whole berry. I usually don't like cranberry at all (can't stand cranberry juice, etc.) except the jellied with turkey.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 11/01/06 at 6:38 pm

Thanksgiving we have the following, turkey, my Mom makes her wondering stuffing, corn, rolls, celery, cranberries.  Grandma makes pumpkin pie. :)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 11/01/06 at 8:20 pm

Pretty much just the usual here:  turkey, sage stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, corn, pumpkin pie, cherry pie, rolls, and sometimes cranberry sauce (although my dad and I are the only ones who eat it :-\\)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/01/06 at 8:44 pm

The basics, plus giblet stuffing (which I love), collard greens, macaroni and cheese (none of that boxed crap but the real soul food deal), sweet potatoes/yams, and sweet potato pie, instead of pumpkin (which I tend to eat during Christmas)

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/01/06 at 9:25 pm

The usual turkey, mashed 'taters, gravy, cranberry sauce, stuffing and rolls plus black olives, creamed onions and turnips/rutabagas (mashed).  Probably some mac & cheese for my kids.

Pie for dessert, usually apple (with either whipped cream or vanilla ice cream) and pumpkin.

Written By: karen on 11/02/06 at 3:59 am

ignorant Brit here.  When you mention rolls do you mean bread rolls or little sausages wrapped in bacon or something else?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/02/06 at 7:40 am

ignorant Brit here.  When you mention rolls do you mean bread rolls or little sausages wrapped in bacon or something else?

Bread rolls.

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 11/02/06 at 8:02 am

We sometimes have lasagna with our meals.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/02/06 at 12:03 pm

Thanksgiving without cranberry sauce   :o  ?  Unheard of... and it has to be whole berry, not that jellied crap.  Mince Pie, apple pie, and pumpkin pie round it all out very nicely.

I totally agree!  :)

Written By: Step-chan on 11/02/06 at 12:07 pm

The general stuff. I usually make sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving and Christmas(peeled, cut up and baked with brown sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon).

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/03/06 at 3:03 am

I think it's great to see the non traditional dishes included from our ethinic backgrounds. Lady Di's family is Chinese so along with the turkey and ham & roast beef and salads and all, and my mother-in-law's jello mold with fruit cocktail, there will be some fried rice and chow mein. This is the only time of year I eat yams and Diane's aunt makes them so good with tons of butter and brown sugar. I'm a main course kind of guy, and focus on those foods, but the dessert table is always a plethora of sweet delights. pies and cookies and rice krispie treats. I'm grateful that there is such an abundance.

Written By: Gis on 11/03/06 at 8:55 am

I think it's great to see the non traditional dishes included from our ethinic backgrounds. Lady Di's family is Chinese so along with the turkey and ham & roast beef and salads and all, and my mother-in-law's jello mold with fruit cocktail, there will be some fried rice and chow mein. This is the only time of year I eat yams and Diane's aunt makes them so good with tons of butter and brown sugar. I'm a main course kind of guy, and focus on those foods, but the dessert table is always a plethora of sweet delights. pies and cookies and rice krispie treats. I'm grateful that there is such an abundance.
How many people do you have come round for this meal?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/03/06 at 9:28 am

How could I forget the yams?  I love them!

And I prefer the whole berry cranberry.

Barefoot - the lasagna sounds fabulous - it's one of my favorite foods!  And Badfinger-fan, Chow Mein?!  Yum!  I say, the more kinds of food, the merrier.

Written By: karen on 11/03/06 at 9:31 am

How could I forget the yams?  I love them!

When this thread started I remembered a bizarre conversation in "the only thread..." about someone doing yams with marshmallows.  was that you or Arwen?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/03/06 at 10:28 am

When this thread started I remembered a bizarre conversation in "the only thread..." about someone doing yams with marshmallows.  was that you or Arwen?

;D

I think it was me.  My mother-in-law mashes yams and then covers a marshmallow with them - like rolls them in a ball around the marshmallow.  She then sprinkles smashed corn flakes over the top and bakes them.  They might sound weird, but they're awesome!

My ex-boyfriend's mom used to whip them with brown sugar and cream.  They were almost more of a desert than a side dish, but boy were they good. 

All hail the yam!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cheering.gif

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/03/06 at 12:26 pm

How many people do you have come round for this meal?
it's a good size family gathering, probably close to 40 people, sometimes a little less, maybe 30, sometimes a few more. Always a wonderful event, her family is great. She has 5 uncles and an aunt, all with kids that have their own kids and friends are invited. I'm thankful to be a part of it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/03/06 at 5:45 pm

;D

I think it was me.  My mother-in-law mashes yams and then covers a marshmallow with them - like rolls them in a ball around the marshmallow.  She then sprinkles smashed corn flakes over the top and bakes them.  They might sound weird, but they're awesome!

My ex-boyfriend's mom used to whip them with brown sugar and cream.  They were almost more of a desert than a side dish, but boy were they good. 

All hail the yam!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cheering.gif

I yam what I yam.  :D ;D ;D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/04/06 at 12:57 pm

I yam what I yam.  :D ;D ;D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Cat

Hee!  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/04/06 at 1:04 pm

I love this canned stuff, both the berry and the jellied
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mzv40xFKAoAIj2jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=129h6c56e/EXP=1162753391/**http%3a//www.chefswarehouse.com/ImageData/big/GS104.jpg

And Badfinger-fan, Chow Mein?!  Yum!  I say, the more kinds of food, the merrier.

yes Ash, it's really a nice treat and and goes well with everything and I wouldn't mind some lasagna or raviolis in there to represent the Italian contingency of the family, or some tamales or enchiladas for the mexicans. like you said, the more the merrier. a cornucopia

Written By: Tam on 11/06/06 at 10:56 pm

Thanksgiving dinner is the best part of November.
We do a deep fried turkey, homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes,
frsh corn, green bean casserole, candied yams, mac 'n cheese,
and trays of veggies (olives, pickles, crackers, cheese etc...)

Dessert is Hot apple pie with vanilla ice cream
Oh, and that's when we break out the Egg Nog!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/06 at 2:08 am

Thanksgiving dinner is the best part of November.
We do a deep fried turkey, homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes,
frsh corn, green bean casserole, candied yams, mac 'n cheese,
and trays of veggies (olives, pickles, crackers, cheese etc...)

Dessert is Hot apple pie with vanilla ice cream
Oh, and that's when we break out the Egg Nog!
this thread is making me hungry

Written By: Gis on 11/07/06 at 3:11 am

Can I just clear something up here for myself. Are yams sweet potatoes? Or are they the same family so to speak but different??

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/07/06 at 4:15 am

Can I just clear something up here for myself. Are yams sweet potatoes? Or are they the same family so to speak but different??

Yams and sweet potatoes are often used to refer to the same thing here in the US, but sweet potatoes are smaller and more orange than a true yam.  You'll be more likely to find a true yam in a store that caters to Asian or Caribbean food.

Written By: Gis on 11/07/06 at 4:49 am

Yams and sweet potatoes are often used to refer to the same thing here in the US, but sweet potatoes are smaller and more orange than a true yam.  You'll be more likely to find a true yam in a store that caters to Asian or Caribbean food.
Right, thanks. I liked the sound of some of the yam recipies and am now wondering if they can be made with sweet potatoes as well as yams?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/07/06 at 4:54 am

Right, thanks. I liked the sound of some of the yam recipies and am now wondering if they can be made with sweet potatoes as well as yams?

I'm actually not sure.  Seeing as how most Americans interchange the two (according to what I read), I would imagine it would be fine.  Candied sweet potatoes actually doesn't sound that bad. 

Written By: La Roche on 11/07/06 at 4:55 am

Of course. I've done thanksgiving here and you just use sweet potatoe.. it's the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

Written By: Gis on 11/07/06 at 8:03 am

Of course. I've done thanksgiving here and you just use sweet potatoe.. it's the same thing as far as I'm concerned.
Cool.I like the sound of the one whipped with brown sugar and cream. I'm assuming you cook them and skin them first. ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/07/06 at 9:42 am

Cool.I like the sound of the one whipped with brown sugar and cream. I'm assuming you cook them and skin them first. ;)

Yes, and they're fabulous!

My family uses actual yams, but I can't taste the difference between a yam and a sweet potato, so I can't see why you couldn't use them.

Written By: nally on 11/07/06 at 9:45 am

Yes, and they're fabulous!

My family uses actual yams, but I can't taste the difference between a yam and a sweet potato, so I can't see why you couldn't use them.

I always thought that yams and sweet potatoes were the same thing...but I guess there are some differences!

Anyhoo, I like sweet potatoes too. :)

Written By: La Roche on 11/07/06 at 10:09 am

One would assume.

They're nice if you bake em in the skin and put some brown sugar on em when they're real hot.

Written By: Tam on 11/07/06 at 10:48 am

I call them yams but actually use sweet potatoes.
I parboil them in the skin, then pare them, slice them lengthwise
put them in a casserole dish and cover with butter and brown sugar!
Fattening as hell but sooooooooooo good!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/07/06 at 5:22 pm

I hate sweet potatoes.  My mom made mashed sweet potatoes once I tried them......gross.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/07/06 at 5:25 pm

I hate sweet potatoes.  My mom made mashed sweet potatoes once I tried them......gross.

I was never a fan of them either...my mom makes this sweet potato casserole....everyone else raves about it...but me, I can't even get near it. :P

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/07/06 at 6:18 pm

Yams are more starchy whereas s. potatoes have a milder flavor. I'll take yams over s.potatoes anyday. Not everyone makes them to their finest hour, but when they are done right, ahh they are goooood.

Written By: nally on 11/07/06 at 6:24 pm

Yams are more starchy whereas s. potatoes have a milder flavor.

Thanks for the info, Tanya. ;)

Written By: Jessica on 11/07/06 at 6:44 pm

This will be the first year that I'm cooking solo. It's kind of daunting, but I only have to cook for five people (Me, Rice_Cube, the spawn, and two of our friends).

We're having a turkey breast (that's the only part anyone around here eats anyways), mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, deviled eggs, dinner rolls, cranberry sauce, some vegetable (might be corn because I DESPISE green beans), and pumpkin pie.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/07/06 at 6:56 pm

This will be the first year that I'm cooking solo. It's kind of daunting, but I only have to cook for five people (Me, Rice_Cube, the spawn, and two of our friends).

We're having a turkey breast (that's the only part anyone around here eats anyways), mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, deviled eggs, dinner rolls, cranberry sauce, some vegetable (might be corn because I DESPISE green beans), and pumpkin pie.

Sounds good. If you need any help, let me know. If you don't feel like making another veggie, a tossed salad is a good way of lighting up your load. You can always make the t.b. the night before and reheat it (to save time) as well as make the other things beforehand.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/06 at 7:53 pm

I call them yams but actually use sweet potatoes.
I parboil them in the skin, then pare them, slice them lengthwise
put them in a casserole dish and cover with butter and brown sugar!
Fattening as hell but sooooooooooo good!
they are delicious prepared this way & this is the only way I've had them & I only have them on Thanksgiving

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/07/06 at 7:57 pm

they are delicious prepared this way & this is the only way I've had them & I only have them on Thanksgiving

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby4RSOVFFy.MA2iGjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=126295gj1/EXP=1163037394/**http%3a//images.allposters.com/images/GAL/SIGPI4.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/06 at 8:03 pm

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby4RSOVFFy.MA2iGjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=126295gj1/EXP=1163037394/**http%3a//images.allposters.com/images/GAL/SIGPI4.jpg
;D Mark McGwire forearms

Written By: Gis on 11/09/06 at 3:04 am

Thanks everyone. I think I shall buy some at the weekend and give it a go.

Written By: Gis on 11/13/06 at 4:58 am

Ok I have the sweet potatoes, the cream and the sugar what do i have to do with them now??

Written By: Tam on 11/13/06 at 5:20 am

Ok I have the sweet potatoes, the cream and the sugar what do i have to do with them now??

Ok Girl, I found a recipe online. It isn't quite like mine but I don't actually measure anything so it wouldn't be good for me to try and tell you how I do them. ;)
I do not use the cornstarch step - instead I cut the sweet potatoes lengthwise and layer them in a buttered casserole, then just put chunks of butter in and sprinkle the rest of the ingredients all over it. Let me know how it turns out!

4 pounds medium sweet potatoes
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Marshmallows (optional)

Preheat oven to 350

Written By: Gis on 11/13/06 at 5:53 am

Thanks very much I'll give it a go and report back!

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/13/06 at 9:01 am

I was never a fan of them either...my mom makes this sweet potato casserole....everyone else raves about it...but me, I can't even get near it. :P

I'm not a huge fan of them either, usually I have just a tiny bit.  My husband's aunt makes a casserole with so much brown sugar and pecans it's actually like a dessert.  Way too sweet!!

Written By: Gis on 11/13/06 at 9:22 am

I'm not a huge fan of them either, usually I have just a tiny bit.  My husband's aunt makes a casserole with so much brown sugar and pecans it's actually like a dessert.  Way too sweet!!
Sugar in a casserole  :o

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/13/06 at 9:34 am

Sugar in a casserole  :o

That's the way most people prepare sweet potatoes/yams....with a lot of brown sugar. 

Written By: Gis on 11/13/06 at 10:23 am

That's the way most people prepare sweet potatoes/yams....with a lot of brown sugar. 
It's just the thought of sugar in a casserole. I do find alot of American recipes have way too much sugar in them for my taste. :-\\

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/14/06 at 10:05 am

It's just the thought of sugar in a casserole. I do find alot of American recipes have way too much sugar in them for my taste. :-\\

It's not like a traditional casserole that you think of when someone says the word "casserole".  It's really almost a dessert you serve before the dessert.  It's the sweet potatoes/yams, brown sugar, molasses (my mom puts honey in hers) and some people put marshmallows on top.  A friend of mine's family actually serves this AS a dessert instead of part of the main course.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/14/06 at 1:16 pm

It's not like a traditional casserole that you think of when someone says the word "casserole".  It's really almost a dessert you serve before the dessert.  It's the sweet potatoes/yams, brown sugar, molasses (my mom puts honey in hers) and some people put marshmallows on top.  A friend of mine's family actually serves this AS a dessert instead of part of the main course.

It really is so good.  Kind of like having a fruit salad with your meal.  It's sweet, but not too sweet.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/14/06 at 1:18 pm

It really is so good.  Kind of like having a fruit salad with your meal.  It's sweet, but not too sweet.

My parents and my sister love it, but I never acquired a taste for it. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/14/06 at 1:19 pm

My parents and my sister love it, but I never acquired a taste for it. 

Yeah, they're like beer - you either like it or you don't.  There's no middle ground.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/14/06 at 1:22 pm

Yeah, they're like beer - you either like it or you don't.  There's no middle ground.

LOL, I don't like beer either.  I guess we can throw lobsters in there too. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/14/06 at 2:45 pm

LOL, I don't like beer either.  I guess we can throw lobsters in there too. 

I detest lobster.  Big ugly bugs that swim.  Gross.

Written By: Gis on 11/15/06 at 4:08 am

Right!, I'm with you now girls, thanks! I was imagining my mother's beef casserole or something.  ::)

Written By: La Roche on 11/15/06 at 7:48 am

I detest lobster.  Big ugly bugs that swim.  Gross.

We're gonna have words - you and I. Just wait 'till the Lobster people get to Utah, then you'll see.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/16/06 at 9:48 am

We're gonna have words - you and I. Just wait 'till the Lobster people get to Utah, then you'll see.

No I won't!  I'll be running away, screaming my head off. 

Written By: La Roche on 11/16/06 at 10:03 am

No I won't!  I'll be running away, screaming my head off. 

You can only get to the sea, then they'll catch you.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/16/06 at 10:15 am

You can only get to the sea, then they'll catch you.

Because I could make it that far.  I'd probably collapse from fear and hysteria after 50 feet and then it would all be over for me.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/06 at 4:23 pm

Got this in an e-mail today. I thought it was cute.

TWAS THE NIGHT OF THANKSGIVING, BUT I JUST COULDN'T SLEEP
I  TRIED COUNTING BACKWARDS, I TRIED COUNTING SHEEP.
THE LEFTOVERS BECKONED - THE DARK MEAT AND WHITE
BUT I FOUGHT THE TEMPTATION WITH ALL OF MY MIGHT
TOSSING AND TURNING WITH ANTICIPATION
THE THOUGHT OF A SNACK BECAME INFATUATION.
SO, I RACED TO THE KITCHEN, FLUNG OPEN THE DOOR
AND GAZED AT THE FRIDGE, FULL OF GOODIES GALORE.
I GOBBLED UP TURKEY AND BUTTERED POTATOES,
PICKLES AND CARROTS, BEANS AND TOMATOES.
I FELT MYSELF SWELLING SO PLUMP AND SO ROUND,
'TIL ALL OF A SUDDEN, I ROSE OFF THE GROUND. 
I CRASHED THROUGH THE CEILING, FLOATING INTO THE SKY
WITH A MOUTHFUL OF PUDDING AND A HANDFUL OF PIE.
BUT, I MANAGED TO YELL AS I SOARED PAST THE TREES....
HAPPY EATING TO ALL - PASS THE CRANBERRIES, PLEASE.
MAY YOUR STUFFING BE TASTY, MAY YOUR TURKEY  BE PLUMP.
MAY YOUR POTATOES 'N GRAVY HAVE NARY A  LUMP,
MAY YOUR YAMS BE DELICIOUS MAY YOUR PIES TAKE THE PRIZE,
MAY YOUR THANKSGIVING DINNER STAY OFF OF  YOUR THIGHS.
HAVE A WONDERFUL THANKSGIVING!

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 11/21/06 at 4:34 pm

Cat

That's beautiful!! :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/21/06 at 6:36 pm

Cat

what a cute poem  :D

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/21/06 at 6:39 pm

what a cute poem  :D

Not as cute as... Thanksigiving dinner on your thighs.

Written By: nally on 11/23/06 at 11:47 pm

Aside from the turkey, here's what we had....

Stuffing
Sweet potato casserole
Steamed veggies
Cranberry
Hot rolls
Gravy for the turkey and stuffing

...and for dessert, pumpkin pie. :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/24/06 at 12:18 am

This was our menu:

turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, gravy, biscuits.  For dessert we had pumpkin pie.....I didn't make my pumpkin cheesecake this year.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/24/06 at 12:30 am

This was our menu:

turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, gravy, biscuits.  For dessert we had pumpkin pie.....I didn't make my pumpkin cheesecake this year.
I hear that cheesecakes can be shipped across the nation  ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/24/06 at 12:39 am

Hmmm, I wonder if there's anyone living in California that would want a pumpkin cheesecake.......

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/24/06 at 12:51 am

Hmmm, I wonder if there's anyone living in California that would want a pumpkin cheesecake.......
I'm not a pumpkin fan, but if it were hand-delivered, I'd be in for some  :) 

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/06 at 2:04 am

With Roast Turkey on the menu for Thanksgiving Dinner, this meal is similar to the Christmas Roast over here.

Written By: Gis on 11/24/06 at 3:44 am

How about a continent?

Written By: karen on 11/24/06 at 3:52 am

With Roast Turkey on the menu for Thanksgiving Dinner, this meal is similar to the Christmas Roast over here.

I was just thinking the same thing

Written By: Paul on 11/24/06 at 6:43 am

The Christmas turkey is actually an imported idea from America...

Before it became popular, our main festive bird was goose...

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/06 at 12:03 pm

Do you have stuffing with the Thanksgiving Dinner?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/24/06 at 1:12 pm

Do you have stuffing with the Thanksgiving Dinner?

Oh absolutely.  What goes inside the bird is "stuffing", whatever is left over in another dish is "dressing".  My mom makes a delicious meat stuffing.....which is basically bread stuffing with hamburger.

Written By: spaceace on 11/24/06 at 2:11 pm

All though it's Friday, I just got back from my Thanksgiving dinner.  My Roomie's Mom is such a Dearheart.  We had the usual Turkey mash potatoes, corn, stuffing, Pumpkin and mincemeat pie. :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/24/06 at 2:22 pm

Turkey, tri-tip, ham, oyster dressing, regular dressing, yams, mac and cheese, cauliflower and broccoli w/cheese, rolls, cranberry sauce, rice, gravy, sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, cake

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/06 at 4:08 pm

The Christmas turkey is actually an imported idea from America...

Before it became popular, our main festive bird was goose...

I don't think I have ever had goose. For those of you who have had both, which one do you prefer? Just curious.

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/24/06 at 4:11 pm

Turkey, tri-tip, ham, oyster dressing, regular dressing, yams, mac and cheese, cauliflower and broccoli w/cheese, rolls, cranberry sauce, rice, gravy, sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, cake

Good God.....were you feeding an army?!  ;D

My mom usually makes oyster dressing, but she didn't this year.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/24/06 at 5:36 pm

How about a continent?
indeed, fedex overnight

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/24/06 at 6:16 pm

Good God.....were you feeding an army?!  ;D

My mom usually makes oyster dressing, but she didn't this year.

haha oh no, not me.  ;D It was at my aunt-in-law's house. So considering that, yeah, she pretty much fed an army.

I cooked a second meal for today and the rest of the weekend. It's just a turkey with stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans, and mashed potatoes.

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/24/06 at 8:39 pm

We had a Greenburg smoked turkey and an oven-baked turkey with a rub of onion powder, garlic powder, lemon pepper, garlic pepper and poultry seasoning. The sides were dressing, mashed potatos & gravey, English pea salad, candied yams, rolls, cranberry sauce amd deviled eggs. For dessert we had pumpkin pie, apple pie and watergate salad.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/24/06 at 8:57 pm

I haaaaaaaaad... lasagna, mashed potatoes, yams, and pumpkin pie. Oh, and ice cream!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/24/06 at 10:42 pm

We had a Greenburg smoked turkey and an oven-baked turkey with a rub of onion powder, garlic powder, lemon pepper, garlic pepper and poultry seasoning. The sides were dressing, mashed potatos & gravey, English pea salad, candied yams, rolls, cranberry sauce amd deviled eggs. For dessert we had pumpkin pie, apple pie and watergate salad.

What's Watergate salad?

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/25/06 at 8:32 am

What's Watergate salad?

Its cool whip mixed with mini marshmellows, pistachio pudding mix, chopped walnuts, crushed pineapple and cherries.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/25/06 at 11:06 am

Its cool whip mixed with mini marshmellows, pistachio pudding mix, chopped walnuts, crushed pineapple and cherries.

Sounds tasty

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/25/06 at 11:39 am

Sounds tasty

My mom makes something similar, but it's with whipped cream, cream cheese, mini-marshmallows and Bing cherries.  That isht goes fast.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/25/06 at 12:34 pm

Sounds very yummy.

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/25/06 at 12:47 pm

My mom makes something similar, but it's with whipped cream, cream cheese, mini-marshmallows and Bing cherries.  That isht goes fast.

It kind of sounds like ambrosia, without the coconut.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/26/06 at 12:46 pm

We had that too!

Written By: nally on 11/27/06 at 11:47 am

Me! :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/27/06 at 11:58 am

Me! :D

I was talking about Mike.

Written By: nally on 11/27/06 at 12:29 pm

I was talking about Mike.

Oh. I just read it as an ordinary question. :-\\

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/27/06 at 12:32 pm

For dessert we had pumpkin pie.....I didn't make my pumpkin cheesecake this year.

Yeah........I was talking about Mike.

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/27/06 at 12:42 pm

Yeah........I was talking about Mike.

Being a smidge touchy no? You always do this with Jeff.

Written By: Tam on 11/03/09 at 10:39 pm

Since Thanksgiving is fast approaching, I thought I would bump this thread to see what our new members do, as well as if there are any changes with our old members. ;)

Written By: nally on 11/03/09 at 10:42 pm

How very thoughtful, Tam. :) I guess we had different threads in 2007 and '08.

For me, there's nothing new happening this year. Probably the same immediate family members will be coming over. However, my mom is thinking of extending the invitation to at least one or two friends who usually don't have any family to celebrate with.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/04/09 at 5:23 am

Last year we visited my mother in the nursing home then went to a restaurant.  This year my mother and brother have both passed away, so I don't know.

Written By: Jessica on 11/04/09 at 8:05 am

Open invitation to anyone who wants to join us.  I'll be cooking all day, but at least it will keep my mind off the fact that my grandmother had her major heart attack and coma lapse on that day. :-\\

Written By: Dagwood on 11/04/09 at 1:37 pm

Open invitation to anyone who wants to join us.  I'll be cooking all day, but at least it will keep my mind off the fact that my grandmother had her major heart attack and coma lapse on that day. :-\\

If I were closer I would be there. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/05/09 at 7:38 pm

gotta have turkey on Thanksgiving

Written By: Step-chan on 11/25/09 at 9:58 pm

I'm crock pot cooking sweet potatoes at the moment.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/25/09 at 10:42 pm

Just finished my fruit desert.  Usually I make it with peaches, this year we went with berries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries.  I can't wait.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/26/09 at 12:36 am

I'm hosting Thanksgiving for the very first time tomorrow.  I have 16 people coming over.  I feel pretty good about it though.  I have pretty much everything done.  I just have to throw the turkey in the oven tomorrow morning and set up tables.  I cleaned my house, made dressing, and got all of the little stuff ready today.  I hope it goes well! 

Written By: Midas on 11/26/09 at 1:19 am

I'm hosting Thanksgiving for the very first time tomorrow.  I have 16 people coming over.  I feel pretty good about it though.  I have pretty much everything done.  I just have to throw the turkey in the oven tomorrow morning and set up tables.  I cleaned my house, made dressing, and got all of the little stuff ready today.  I hope it goes well! 

Good luck! :)

My girl made four French Silk pies (two for tomorrow's gathering of 13 at my sister's place, two for the eleventeen at her parents' house on Friday) and her artichoke spinach dip at the request of my nieces for tomorrow.

A couple of Thanksgivings ago I made some rockin' rosemary garlic mashed potatoes by loosely following some recipe I found online :D

Written By: Paul on 11/26/09 at 7:15 am

Last year we visited my mother in the nursing home then went to a restaurant.  This year my mother and brother have both passed away, so I don't know.

I'll be cooking all day, but at least it will keep my mind off the fact that my grandmother had her major heart attack and coma lapse on that day. :-\\

Very sad to hear that, ladies...my thoughts are with you...

I don't 'do' Thanksgiving (wrong country!), so it'll be egg and chips for me I'm afraid!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/26/09 at 8:05 am

We are going to a restaurant for a Thanksgiving Buffet.  It looks real good, and no dishes to wash.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/09 at 5:07 pm

Went to the local Eagles' Club. I was a bit disappointed. They were out of stuffing by the time we got there and the mashed potatoes were just  8-P . How can you mess up mashed potatoes? They were real (had lumps and all) but the favor was just  8-P . They were also out of pumpkin pie.  :\'( :\'( :\'( But you can't beat the price-it was free. But we gave them a donation anyway. They do good work-not just the Thanksgiving dinner but all year round.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 11/27/09 at 5:17 am

Went to the local Eagles' Club. I was a bit disappointed. They were out of stuffing by the time we got there and the mashed potatoes were just  8-P . How can you mess up mashed potatoes? They were real (had lumps and all) but the favor was just  8-P . They were also out of pumpkin pie.  :\'( :\'( :\'( But you can't beat the price-it was free. But we gave them a donation anyway. They do good work-not just the Thanksgiving dinner but all year round.

Cat

We paid up and the food was good, but the dessert  8-P .  It was buffet, so I tried the "apple crisp"  first  ::) (bisquick over canned apples), then I tried the dried-up, old, brownies, which should have given a clue to the very dry chocolate cake. I hope they got the hint as they removed plates with the desserts uneaten.  The pumpkin pie was just ok.  I will remember that next year when we go somewhere else. 

Written By: ninny on 11/27/09 at 8:08 am

Went to the local Eagles' Club. I was a bit disappointed. They were out of stuffing by the time we got there and the mashed potatoes were just  8-P . How can you mess up mashed potatoes? They were real (had lumps and all) but the favor was just  8-P . They were also out of pumpkin pie.  :\'( :\'( :\'( But you can't beat the price-it was free. But we gave them a donation anyway. They do good work-not just the Thanksgiving dinner but all year round.

Cat

Bad mashed potatoes and no pumpkin pie is enough to put a damper on the meal.
I ended up having 2 dinners, both good the second one was unexpected. Tim wanted to visit his friend before he went back to Florida, so we were invited over and asked if we wanted to eat.The guy's future son in law is a good cook and even made 4 different desserts.(I had cheesecake)

Written By: wildcard on 11/27/09 at 10:31 am

We had steak, yams, mashed potatoes, and the pumpkin my dad grew.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/27/09 at 11:35 am

Every year at Thanksgiving I am so disappointed. I love turkey & all the trimmings but since it is usually just the two of us, we don't bother. We go out and I always end up disappointed. I would LOVE to have turkey & all the trimmings for Christmas but we always spend Christmas with the kids and they insist on having a Puerto Rican meal which consist of pork roast with rice & beans. While I don't mind the meal, my family's tradition has been turkey & all the trimmings. One year, we had Christmas here & we gave them the choice. It was Carlos' son who backed me up so we had turkey. His two daughters bitched throughout the meal that it wasn't a pork roast. This year, even though we were supposed to have Christmas here-plans changed and we are now having it at my step-daughter's house. So that means a pork roast.  I never get my turkey dinner.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 11/27/09 at 12:18 pm

Every year at Thanksgiving I am so disappointed. I love turkey & all the trimmings but since it is usually just the two of us, we don't bother. We go out and I always end up disappointed. I would LOVE to have turkey & all the trimmings for Christmas but we always spend Christmas with the kids and they insist on having a Puerto Rican meal which consist of pork roast with rice & beans. While I don't mind the meal, my family's tradition has been turkey & all the trimmings. One year, we had Christmas here & we gave them the choice. It was Carlos' son who backed me up so we had turkey. His two daughters bitched throughout the meal that it wasn't a pork roast. This year, even though we were supposed to have Christmas here-plans changed and we are now having it at my step-daughter's house. So that means a pork roast.  I never get my turkey dinner.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Here's what.... get a small breast of turkey and short servings of all the sides and turn it into a buffet.  Everyone can have a bit of everything if they so desire.  If they aren't willing to compromise then they are just doing it for the sake of hurting you..

Written By: nally on 11/27/09 at 1:25 pm

16 people, wow! I wish I had gatherings that were that big. When my mom was growing up, she had several cousins on her mom's side of the family, and they would often get together for big holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think she mentioned that there were times when the crowd had at least 20 people altogether. She has pictures from those occasions.

Written By: nally on 11/27/09 at 1:27 pm

Anyhoo, this year we only had 4 people for our Thanksgiving feast. The three of us (me and my parents) and my maternal grandma. Aside from the turkey, we had mashed sweet potatoes, veggies, cranberry, bread, and raviolis. Then there was the pumpkin pie for dessert. It took hours to prepare it all, and only half an hour to eat it and get full. Of course, we still have leftovers which will be eaten today and tomorrow.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/27/09 at 2:39 pm

Here's what.... get a small breast of turkey and short servings of all the sides and turn it into a buffet.  Everyone can have a bit of everything if they so desire.  If they aren't willing to compromise then they are just doing it for the sake of hurting you..

Not this year since it will be at my step-daughter's house. Her kitchen is very tiny and there just isn't room. The big kicker is that there will be 12 of us and one bathroom-and one is pregnant.  :o :o :o :o Granted there is one still in diapers so we don't have to worry about her needed to use the bathroom.

I need to sweet talk my "chef" into making me a turkey dinner one day.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/27/09 at 7:35 pm

I never get my turkey dinner.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Canadian Thanksgiving (oops, the holiday celebrated in the States as "Columbus Day" is 11 months away).  New Year's.  Birthday.  Annirversary.  The week or two after Thanksgiving when turkeys are on sale for half price.

You don't need an occasion to roast a turkey.  You need a turkey.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/28/09 at 9:12 am

Not this year since it will be at my step-daughter's house. Her kitchen is very tiny and there just isn't room. The big kicker is that there will be 12 of us and one bathroom-and one is pregnant.  :o :o :o :o Granted there is one still in diapers so we don't have to worry about her needed to use the bathroom.

I need to sweet talk my "chef" into making me a turkey dinner one day.

Cat

To bad you guys don't have "Boston Market" where they serve no muss, no fuss, turkey dinners every day

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/28/09 at 9:45 am

We had Thanksgiving - Turkey (I cooked, it was a little dry as I cooked it the day before and then had to reheat it - BUT ATLEAST IT WAS COOKED- my mom's usually raw), sweet potatoe stuff with marshmallows ( :P), Green Bean Casserole (my husband said it was absolutely gross- do not know what my mom did to it), Scalloped oysters (I make - I only get these at this time, as no one else really likes them, but they are yummy), my mom forgot to make the dressing, homemade mashed potatoes (with no salt in them- mom made), but good gravy, cranberry jelly (from the can - ala mom)  and a smoked pork loin.  We did not starve - but it was quite interesting!

I have 1/2 a turkey to do something with, thinking of boiling the carcass and making some turkey and noodles.

Now off to my sisters today, to be with her and my nephews family (between mine and his, there will be 5 children under 11) - and 3 dogs...  Food should be much better, this time around (and possibly safe to eat) - my mom was invited, but she will not go anywhere for holidays (we have to go to her house ::))  Makes it tough.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/29/09 at 1:12 am

To bad you guys don't have "Boston Market" where they serve no muss, no fuss, turkey dinners every day

You may be eating turkey.  You may be having dinner.  It may be pretty good stuff...

http://homepage.mac.com/jeancarroll/caturday/insufficient.jpg

...but if the house doesn't smell like turkey for at least 48 hours, it's doesn't count as turkey dinner with all the trimmings.  That bit about the house smelling like turkey for a couple of days is part of the deal.  It's like bacon - you can reheat the precooked stuff at the supermarket, and that's all well and good, but does it really match the feeling of coming home after a hard day's work... and smelling the pound of bacon you cooked for breakfast?

Right. 

Nope, I'm sticking with my original post.  Buying a turkey that someone else has roasted may be delicious, economical, and a great time-saver, but it don't count as "all the fixings".

I have 1/2 a turkey to do something with, thinking of boiling the carcass and making some turkey and noodles.

See above.  Boil that thing down.  Best turkey soup you'll ever taste.  There is no substitute for real broth.  That stuff in a can?  Sure, I'll use it.  And I'll enjoy it.  But it's no substitute for the real thing.  Remember all those hours that went into prepping the bird?  When you boil a carcass down, you get 'em all back!

Written By: Davester on 11/29/09 at 4:27 am

I used to eat at Boston Market all the time, years ago, until it was closed down by the county for health and cleanliness violations...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/29/09 at 5:26 am

We had turkey, mashed potatos, homemade noodles (that my mom made with the rest of her "church ladies" the week before), and there was apple and pumpkin pies (which I had none of), and mom made some kind of cranberry desert that tasted like it had cream cheese and strawberry jell-o (it had crushed up pretzels as a crust).  She sent leftovers home with us but since hubby won't eat leftovers...that's more for me.  *insert evil laugh here*  (I ate the desert thing first (naturally))

Written By: danootaandme on 11/29/09 at 3:12 pm

I used to eat at Boston Market all the time, years ago, until it was closed down by the county for health and cleanliness violations...

Franchises are always sketchy, some are excellent,  some  8-P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/09 at 4:00 pm

You may be eating turkey.  You may be having dinner.  It may be pretty good stuff...

http://homepage.mac.com/jeancarroll/caturday/insufficient.jpg

...but if the house doesn't smell like turkey for at least 48 hours, it's doesn't count as turkey dinner with all the trimmings.  That bit about the house smelling like turkey for a couple of days is part of the deal.  It's like bacon - you can reheat the precooked stuff at the supermarket, and that's all well and good, but does it really match the feeling of coming home after a hard day's work... and smelling the pound of bacon you cooked for breakfast?

Right. 

Nope, I'm sticking with my original post.  Buying a turkey that someone else has roasted may be delicious, economical, and a great time-saver, but it don't count as "all the fixings".

See above.  Boil that thing down.  Best turkey soup you'll ever taste.  There is no substitute for real broth.  That stuff in a can?  Sure, I'll use it.  And I'll enjoy it.  But it's no substitute for the real thing.  Remember all those hours that went into prepping the bird?  When you boil a carcass down, you get 'em all back!

Couldn't agree more. When I told Carlos that I wanted a turkey dinner and all the trimmings, he said that he could do that but suggested just getting a turkey breast since it is just the two of us. That still doesn't just do it-but it is closer than going somewhere else. Maybe we will invite a few people over and have a full REAL bird.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/29/09 at 4:18 pm

me too!!

Written By: snozberries on 11/29/09 at 4:20 pm

Cat

that's too bad Cat.  :(

Written By: snozberries on 11/29/09 at 4:22 pm

Anyhoo, this year we only had 4 people for our Thanksgiving feast. The three of us (me and my parents) and my maternal grandma. Aside from the turkey, we had mashed sweet potatoes, veggies, cranberry, bread, and raviolis. Then there was the pumpkin pie for dessert. It took hours to prepare it all, and only half an hour to eat it and get full. Of course, we still have leftovers which will be eaten today and tomorrow.

that beats my pity party of one at the dispatch console  :-\\

Written By: nally on 11/29/09 at 4:24 pm

that beats my pity party of one at the dispatch console  :-\\

By the way, we used up some of the leftover food last night (turkey and veggies) to make a pizza.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/29/09 at 5:12 pm

Cat

I make a small turkey breast and the trimmings for just Steve and I all the time.  It's my favorite meal too and there is no way I am going to go without it!  Neither of us minds eating it for a couple of days afterward.  This way, you can have it any time you want.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/09 at 5:22 pm

I make a small turkey breast and the trimmings for just Steve and I all the time.  It's my favorite meal too and there is no way I am going to go without it!  Neither of us minds eating it for a couple of days afterward.  This way, you can have it any time you want.   :)

I don't mind eating it for days afterward either. Unfortunately, Carlos ALWAYS wants to turn the leftover turkey into turkey pie. I don't like meat pies-but he does.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/29/09 at 5:29 pm

I don't mind eating it for days afterward either. Unfortunately, Carlos ALWAYS wants to turn the leftover turkey into turkey pie. I don't like meat pies-but he does.  :-\\

Cat

i'm with you you... meat pies  8-P  pies should be made of fruit or cremes.....or chocolate!!!!  ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/15/09 at 1:02 pm

I love all pie.  Unless it's like turkey and chocolate and fruit and custard all mixed together.  Then it wouldn't be very good.

Written By: snozberries on 12/15/09 at 1:36 pm

I love all pie.  Unless it's like turkey and chocolate and fruit and custard all mixed together.  Then it wouldn't be very good.

;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dAfMdjvIIQ

Written By: Dude111 on 12/18/09 at 9:14 pm

I had a delicious TURKEY DINNER!!

I should have heated it IN THE OVEN!! (Microwaves suck and leave parts of the food cold,etc)

Check for new replies or respond here...