inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Same Restaurant - Different Menu

Written By: whistledog on 11/02/06 at 3:06 pm

Apparently at different world-wide locations of popular fast food and chain restaurants, the menus are quite different.  Has anyone ever been to other countries and noticed this?  I never have, but here in Canada ...

Taco Bell serves French Fries, and a popular dish called Fries Supreme (topped with Sour Cream, Ground Beef, Chives, Tomatoes and Cheese Sauce)

KFC does not serve Mashed Potatoes, Corn on the Cob, Biscuits, Baked Beans, Green Beans, Seasoned Rice or or Mac and Cheese.  They do serve Poutine

A&W Restaurants don't serve Shakes, Ice Cream and Sundaes.  They do serve Poutine, The Burger Family (Baby Burger - 1 patty with ketchup, Teen Burger - 1 patty with all the fixings, Mama Burger - 1 patty with pickles, mayo and mustard, Papa Burger - 2 patties, Grandpa Burger - 3 patties), Whistle Dog (hot dog with cheese, bacon and relish), Chubby Chicken burgers and strips

Subject: Re: Same Restaurant - Different Menu

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/06 at 3:52 pm

In Maine, McDonald's serves "McLobster".  :P

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 11/02/06 at 4:04 pm

Mc Lobster?  Sounds . . . unappetizing. :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/06 at 4:25 pm

Mc Lobster?  Sounds . . . unappetizing. :P

I haven't had it myself but someone once told me that it was pretty bad. I LOVE lobster but leave it to Micky Dees to screw that up.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 11/02/06 at 8:47 pm

McLobster = Mcsheeshs?

;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/02/06 at 8:50 pm

I've never been outside the country, so I don't know from personal experience, but I have heard that restaurants like McDonalds cater to regional tastes.  Like I know in India, they serve a lot of veggie burgers since you don't eat beef there.

Written By: karen on 11/03/06 at 5:25 am

KFC does not serve Mashed Potatoes, Corn on the Cob, Biscuits, Baked Beans, Green Beans, Seasoned Rice or or Mac and Cheese.  They do serve Poutine

In the UK they don't serve mashed potatoes, green beans, seasoned rice, biscuits, mac and cheese or poutine.  Since I don't know what is on the standard American menu I don't know what else we get here that is 'unusual'.

McDonalds is a franchise so although things have to be done to a standard menu there is scope to introduce regional variations.  Filet o' fish came from a franchise in a catholic area that wanted something to serve on Fridays.

In the UK a mcDonalds Happy Meal is hamburger, chicken nuggets or fish fingers, fries or carrot sticks, a drink and a toy.  In Spain you also used to get a small yoghurt and a bag of fruit included.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/03/06 at 9:30 am

My brother in law lived in Hawaii for a long time, and my husband said that with every value meal at McDonalds, they serve a small cup of pineapple.  That would be my favorite part!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/03/06 at 11:51 am

I know down south at McDonalds...they serve sweet tea, even by the gallon. My husband was in his glory when we were down there this summer...he loves sweet tea. ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/03/06 at 7:20 pm

I know down south at McDonalds...they serve sweet tea, even by the gallon. My husband was in his glory when we were down there this summer...he loves sweet tea. ;D

None of the McDonalds I've been to serve sweet tea.  I've seen fountain drink dispensers, but I don't think I've seen sweet tea.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/03/06 at 7:26 pm

The McRib is coming back - that's all I'm saying!  :D  :D  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/03/06 at 8:20 pm

None of the McDonalds I've been to serve sweet tea.  I've seen fountain drink dispensers, but I don't think I've seen sweet tea.

We were in a few different cities in South Carolina when we saw this.  Each one that we went to offered sweet tea by the gallon....I've never seen that anywhere but there.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/03/06 at 8:25 pm

We were in a few different cities in South Carolina when we saw this.  Each one that we went to offered sweet tea by the gallon....I've never seen that anywhere but there.

Maybe they're here and I just haven't noticed them.  Were they behind the counter or over where you fill your drink?

Written By: DJ Midas on 11/04/06 at 1:21 am

At the McD's at O'Hare, I was able to get a breakfast bagel with greasy steak.  Yum.  They don't have that in Phoenix.

They serve chicken biscuits for breakfast at McD's in NC.  Not here in Phoenix.  Only place I can get one is at Chik Fil-A or a nasty one at QuikTrip.  :P

here in Canada ...

Taco Bell serves French Fries, and a popular dish called Fries Supreme (topped with Sour Cream, Ground Beef, Chives, Tomatoes and Cheese Sauce)

Wicked.  Del Taco serves fries here. Taco Bell doesn't.

Written By: Stompgal on 11/04/06 at 5:19 am

In the UK, they change the JD Wetherspoon and TGI Friday's menus every year.

The side orders in UK KFCs are BBQ Beans, Coleslaw, Gravy and Corn on the Cob (or Corn Cobbettes). Further to Karen's message about Happy Meals, they also do Fruit Bags and Cheeseburgers. I went to a McDonald's in Watford last month and the Happy Meal items looked somewhat different. In addition to the Chicken McNuggets, Hamburgers, Cheeseburgers and Fish Fingers, they also had the Junior Chicken Mayo and a smaller version of the Filet O'Fish. the Carrot sticks were replaced by the Wolbblicious Fruit Jelly.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/04/06 at 10:05 am

Maybe they're here and I just haven't noticed them.  Were they behind the counter or over where you fill your drink?

They were behind the counter.

Written By: Tam on 11/04/06 at 11:05 am

A&W in Canada also has a Mozza Burger, which they do not offer down here.
Burger smothered in mozzarella cheese!! Yum!

McDOnald's here offers all their morning sandwiches on Biscuits - no McMuffins or the Bagels down here either!
And our McD's dollar menu is different from say the East Coast. We don't get nuggets on our menu!!!

Not to mention that in Canada - McDonald's does not offer a Dollar Menu!

Written By: McDonald on 11/04/06 at 11:53 am

Not to mention that in Canada - McDonald's does not offer a Dollar Menu!

But they do have a value menu with stuff costing a little over a dollar. I think it's like $1.32 for a double cheeseburger and so on... The Canadian dollar is worth just a little less than the American one, so I think in comparison it's about the same.

I don't like McDonald's but it's the only resto in Chicoutimi open 24 hours, so I find myself stoppig there more often after my really late party nights.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/05/06 at 9:22 am

Here in the Boston area the kids meal at Burger King offers a choice of juice or milk instead of soda, and applesauce instead of fries. 

Written By: Stompgal on 11/06/06 at 3:26 am

In the UK, they have a Pound Saver Menu in McDonald's and a 99ers menu in Burger King. The items on those menus are 99p each.

Written By: whistledog on 11/06/06 at 7:12 pm

A&W in Canada also has a Mozza Burger, which they do not offer down here.
Burger smothered in mozzarella cheese!! Yum!

Had no idea they didn't offer those in the US.  I just had one for supper :P

A Mozza Burger with Fries w/ Gravy & Coney Sauce.  YUMMY! Now I want seconds ;D

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 11/07/06 at 5:00 pm

Heres the link to A & W with what most of California can order

http://www.awrestaurants.com/menu/default.htm

Dairy Queen

http://www.dairyqueen.com/en-US/Menus+and+Nutrition/Menu/default.htm

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 11/08/06 at 8:22 am

Here in the States, many of the "burger" chains are going to healthier alternatives with the Happy Meals.  I know all of the McD's I've been to in the past few years have offered apple slices w/dip, milk (which has always been an option, even when I was a kid, you just had to ask for it) or juice with the Happy Meals and some also offer carrots.  We don't eat at BK much so I don't know what they have, but I believe you can also get something similar.  I've never seen fish fingers at the McD's here, then again, I've not been to ALL of them ;)

I remember seeing sweet tea at a few fast food restaurants when we drove down to Florida.  I think Arby's and McD's had it.

Written By: karen on 11/09/06 at 4:36 am

We went to McDonalds last night and it got me thinking about this thread again.  Can you buy ice creams in US McD's?  We can buy two sorts: one in a cone (actually you can also have this with a choclate flake in it) and a McFlurry which has some chopped up sweets (chocolate or Crunchie or Smarties etc) stirred through it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/09/06 at 4:46 am

We went to McDonalds last night and it got me thinking about this thread again.  Can you buy ice creams in US McD's?  We can buy two sorts: one in a cone (actually you can also have this with a choclate flake in it) and a McFlurry which has some chopped up sweets (chocolate or Crunchie or Smarties etc) stirred through it.

Of course!  You can get a cone, a sundae or a McFlurry.  My fave is the McFlurry with Oreo pieces.  :)

Written By: Gis on 11/09/06 at 7:55 am

Talking of McFlurries. Did anybody else see this on the news and in the national press? Do you have this problem in the U.S?

http://my.opera.com/Lee_in_FL/blog/show.dml/441874

Written By: La Roche on 11/09/06 at 8:11 am

Most KFC's in the UK have a limited selection of wraps. In Missouri, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey there are at least 4 different wraps one can purchase, in the UK you're limited to two.

In St. Louis (for some reason not the rest of Missouri) you're likely to have cheese sauce dumped on your white castle fries wether you ask for it or not. I've not encountered that anywhere else in the country.
Could this be because St. Louis is the white castle capital of the world. (Having surpassed Wichita some time ago.)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/09/06 at 8:16 am

Talking of McFlurries. Did anybody else see this on the news and in the national press? Do you have this problem in the U.S?

http://my.opera.com/Lee_in_FL/blog/show.dml/441874

You know, I can't say we do. 

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 11/09/06 at 8:23 am

Most KFC's in the UK have a limited selection of wraps. In Missouri, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey there are at least 4 different wraps one can purchase, in the UK you're limited to two.

In St. Louis (for some reason not the rest of Missouri) you're likely to have cheese sauce dumped on your white castle fries wether you ask for it or not. I've not encountered that anywhere else in the country.
Could this be because St. Louis is the white castle capital of the world. (Having surpassed Wichita some time ago.)
Up here, they usually ask you if you want it or not.  I usually say no because by the time I get around to eating them, they're all soggy and nasty and the cheese is cold.

Written By: La Roche on 11/09/06 at 8:25 am

Up here, they usually ask you if you want it or not.  I usually say no because by the time I get around to eating them, they're all soggy and nasty and the cheese is cold.

Right, everywhere asks you.. 'cept there.

Do you have those Ciabbata burgers at Jack in the Box? Down around Belleville etc they don't have em, yet over the river they do.  :-\\

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/09/06 at 8:28 am

One thing I miss about not living in Chicago anymore are the White Castles.  I love their sliders.  Krystals is the low-rent version of White Castle and it's not even remotely close to being palatable, at least to me. 

Written By: La Roche on 11/09/06 at 8:33 am

One thing I miss about not living in Chicago anymore are the White Castles.  I love their sliders.  Krystals is the low-rent version of White Castle and it's not even remotely close to being palatable, at least to me. 

You need to join in me and pete's slider eating competition.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/09/06 at 8:35 am

Mmmm, sliders.  I can't eat that many, but I'll try to hold my own.

Written By: La Roche on 11/09/06 at 8:36 am

Mmmm, sliders.  I can't eat that many, but I'll try to hold my own.

Ya gotta be able to eat 15 just to enter.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/09/06 at 8:37 am

Ya gotta be able to eat 15 just to enter.

I think I can eat 15..........

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 11/09/06 at 9:00 am

Right, everywhere asks you.. 'cept there.

Do you have those Ciabbata burgers at Jack in the Box? Down around Belleville etc they don't have em, yet over the river they do.  :-\\
We don't even HAVE Jack in the Box ;D

Written By: La Roche on 11/09/06 at 9:01 am

I think I can eat 15..........

What a girl!

Written By: La Roche on 11/09/06 at 9:03 am

What?

They have them all over the south and middle of Illinois. Usually if I were to be in Northern Illinois I'd be in Chicago.. and kinda seeking something more local. I.e spicy beef.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 11/09/06 at 9:03 am

My middle guy has eaten 7 at one sitting....he's 8, about 4'5 and weighs all of 57 lbs :o  Is there a juniur division?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/09/06 at 9:06 am

They air commercials for Jack in the Box down here, but I've never seen one.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/09/06 at 9:27 am

we don't either...I've never been to one...and I've never seen one.

Written By: La Roche on 11/09/06 at 9:55 am

My middle guy has eaten 7 at one sitting....he's 8, about 4'5 and weighs all of 57 lbs :o  Is there a juniur division?

57 lbs.. you need to feed him. Give him 15, force feed him.

Written By: La Roche on 11/09/06 at 9:56 am

They air commercials for Jack in the Box down here, but I've never seen one.

we don't either...I've never been to one...and I've never seen one.

Wow, that sucks for you guys.

They're mainly in the west, they don't exist in the north east at all.. which is a shame as they make a damn good burger.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 11/09/06 at 1:14 pm

Wow, that sucks for you guys.

They're mainly in the west, they don't exist in the north east at all.. which is a shame as they make a damn good burger.

Rat in the box makes good burgers ??? I beg to differ.  :P :-X

Written By: La Roche on 11/09/06 at 1:15 pm

Rat in the box makes good burgers ??? I beg to differ.  :P :-X

I'm talking size over substance.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 11/10/06 at 10:23 am

57 lbs.. you need to feed him. Give him 15, force feed him.
I know, he's a twig.  He takes after me (when I was his age, not now unfortunately :()  Trust me, we try....

Written By: nally on 11/09/11 at 4:34 pm

Souplantation, a serve-yourself salad-bar restaurant, is known as Sweet Tomatoes outside of southern California.

Written By: whistledog on 11/09/11 at 8:53 pm

A&W in Canada now offers the Uncle Burger (Sirloin) and the Grandma Burger (Prime Rib)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/10/11 at 6:25 am

A&W Restaurants don't serve Shakes, Ice Cream and Sundaes. 

OK. I know this is a delayed reaction...but....You can't get a root beer float at A&W(root beer with a scoop of vanilla ice cream)

Written By: whistledog on 11/10/11 at 7:58 am

OK. I know this is a delayed reaction...but....You can't get a root beer float at A&W(root beer with a scoop of vanilla ice cream)

They did once offer those for a limited time

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/11 at 8:40 pm

You used to be able to get breakfast at McD's.  You know, scrambled eggs, pancakes, toast.  Now all you can get are those horrid "breakfast sandwiches" so they don't have to change the set-up from rest of the day.  I remember the Burger King at Alewife Station went with one menu around the clock.  They had a big sign reading "Burgers for Breakfast."  A Whopper at 7:30, feel crappy all day long!
8-P

Written By: whistledog on 11/11/11 at 10:06 pm

You used to be able to get breakfast at McD's.  You know, scrambled eggs, pancakes, toast.  Now all you can get are those horrid "breakfast sandwiches" so they don't have to change the set-up from rest of the day.  I remember the Burger King at Alewife Station went with one menu around the clock.  They had a big sign reading "Burgers for Breakfast."  A Whopper at 7:30, feel crappy all day long!
8-P

They do still have pancakes, but it's really a waste of money as the portion is so small, and all you really get are the pancakes with a hash brown. 

The best fast food restaurant to offer Breakfast is A&W.  Bacon, Toast, and sunny side up eggs so you can dip your toast in the yolk. 

Written By: Howard on 11/12/11 at 6:52 am

They do still have pancakes, but it's really a waste of money as the portion is so small, and all you really get are the pancakes with a hash brown. 

The best fast food restaurant to offer Breakfast is A&W.  Bacon, Toast, and sunny side up eggs so you can dip your toast in the yolk. 

Burger King has a good breakfast menu, one time I ate there I had a breakfast burrito with tater tots and coffee.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/13/11 at 8:57 am

They did once offer those for a limited time

Now that is just not right.  A&W makes root beer, but you can't get a root beer float.  Root beer floats are what they are famous for. 

Written By: whistledog on 11/13/11 at 5:05 pm

Now that is just not right.  A&W makes root beer, but you can't get a root beer float.  Root beer floats are what they are famous for. 

I was just at A&W the other night, and I saw it seems to be back permanently now.  In Canada, A&W is more famous for the food than the rootbeer it seems. 

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/13 at 4:46 pm

Canadian Burger King locations now have Maple BBQ Poutine with Bacon.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YwzWDexB7Xk/T7yD_6_qPlI/AAAAAAAAGCU/sYp6fzk_7Oc/s400/burger_king_canada_maple_bbq_poutine.jpg

Damn, I could go for one right now.  In fact, I think I just might ...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/13 at 1:07 am

I used to make root beer floats at home.  Lotsa root beer.  Big 3-liter bottles of MUG.  I didn't skimp on the whipped cream, marshmallow, cherries, strawberry syrup, chopped walnuts, creme de menthe, butterscotch glaze, or the Heavenly Hash either!

My root beer 
                float
                        will make you puke in the
                                                          sink!

http://images.zaazu.com/img/Controlling-Vomit-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000651-huge.png

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/13/13 at 8:05 pm

My root beer 
                float
                        will make you puke in the
                                                          sink!

The hell it will, that sounds awesome.

Check for new replies or respond here...