inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question; Cooking A Turkey In An Electric Oven?

Written By: loki 13 on 11/22/06 at 6:00 pm

This Thanksgiving will be the first year we will be roasting a turkey in an electric oven,
my question, is the cooking time and temperature the same as a gas oven?

Our turkey is 20 lbs and will be stuffed, HELP PLEASE!

Subject: Re: Question; Cooking A Turkey In An Electric Oven?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/06 at 6:05 pm

It SHOULD the same. But each oven may be a bit off.

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/22/06 at 6:08 pm

Try this:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Turkey_Alt_Routes/index.asp#1

Written By: Jessica on 11/22/06 at 6:12 pm

We had an electric oven at my parent's house. Same rules from what I saw, although I would adjust the temp a little lower if it's that big and that stuffed.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/22/06 at 6:24 pm

Cat, Tanya , Jessica, thank you for you input. Now I have my wife lurking over my shoulder
chirpping in my ear. She wants to set the oven for 325 degrees and cook the dang bird for
6 1/2 hours in a roasting bag , for some reason she doesn't trust the link, she would rather
hear it from a person. So, does this sound about right.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/22/06 at 6:29 pm

20lbs is a little bigger than I usually get, but I always roast them in an electric oven and 2 things I do is to cook at 350 instead of 325 & I always start the bird breast side down for the first 2/3 of cooking time and then when I have 60 minutes left I turn it breast up to brown the top. This insures moist white meat just about every time, however a turkey your size may be a little harder to flip over, you have to be real careful. My turkeys are usually 13-16 lbs and aren't too difficult to turn over and I use gloves. it works like a charm every time. A 15lb turkey cooked this method takes only about 3 hrs tops.  I put the turkey on a V shaped rack inside a roasting pan with 2 cups of water at the bottom and I sprinkle a salt, pepper, sage, and whatever seasonings I feel like or just buy poultry seasoning and sprinkle that all over and baste with a combo of melted butter and soy sauce. i baste it every half hour for the first 90 minutes, rotating the pan in the over each time, and then after that baste every 15 min. The breast meat cooks more thoroughly than the dark so if your dark is underdone, just nuke it for a couple minutes. I never stuff them so not sure how that will affect the time. good luck.    remember to INVERT that bad boy!  ;D
oh yeah, I forgot, the last 15min I crank up the temp 25 degrees to get the skin a little more crispy.  After taking it out, let it sit/rest for a good 20-30 minutes before you start carving or the juice and moisture will run out of it.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/22/06 at 6:31 pm

Do you have the Butterball Turkey line?

But, like Jessica said, try it a little lower (the temp, I mean). Is she using the Reynolds bag? That's what I use. Follow the directions on the box.

Wow, Badfinger sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/22/06 at 6:36 pm

But, like Jessica said, try it a little lower (the temp, I mean). Is she using the Reynolds bag? That's what I use. Follow the directions on the box.

hahhah, i cook about 2-4 every year and just cooked one last night and will do another on Friday.  Martha Stewart says internal temp of 180 and it's done.

Loki13, 6.5 hrs way too much it will be overcooked and dry.  food network.com has a lot of info

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/22/06 at 6:39 pm

here's info i found for a 18lb turkey,

Roast until a meat thermometer inserted in the meaty part of the thigh reads 180 degrees F (80 degrees C), about 4 hours.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/22/06 at 6:39 pm

My mom cooks a 12lb bird (there's just the 4 of us to feed) and it usually takes her about 3 hours......6.5 is waaaaaay too long.  My mom doesn't invert it and the breast meat isn't dry at all.....something in the way she cooks it...don't know her secret just yet. 

Written By: loki 13 on 11/22/06 at 6:45 pm

It's one of those "supposed" free turkeys that Acme gives you after you spend like 8 grand, so it doesn't
have a pop-up button.

Loki13, 6.5 hrs way too much it will be overcooked and dry.  food network.com has a lot of info

I thought so too but she told me to ask.  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/22/06 at 6:46 pm

My mom cooks a 12lb bird (there's just the 4 of us to feed) and it usually takes her about 3 hours......6.5 is waaaaaay too long.  My mom doesn't invert it and the breast meat isn't dry at all.....something in the way she cooks it...don't know her secret just yet. 
you need to learn that secret technique of hers  in case you ever have to be the chef. smaller birds are more tender

It's one of those "supposed" free turkeys that Acme gives you after you spend like 8 grand, so it doesn't
have a pop-up button.

I usually don't rely on the button if there's one in it  ;D 

here's a one more recipe kevin

Classic Roast Turkey
Roasting chart

PREP AND COOK TIME: About 10 minutes to prep, 1 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours to roast, and at least 20 minutes to rest
MAKES: Allow 3/4 pound uncooked turkey per serving, or 1 pound if you want leftovers

NOTES: If using a frozen turkey, start thawing it in a pan in the refrigerator 3 to 4 days before roasting, depending on its size. During roasting, if turkey overlaps the pan rim, tuck a strip of heavy-duty foil along the sides of the pan to keep fat from dripping over.

1 turkey (10 to 30 lb.; see notes)

Melted butter or olive oil

1. Remove and discard leg truss from turkey (A). Pull off and discard any lumps of fat. Remove giblets and neck (they're often packed in the neck or body cavity) and save for gravy. Rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry. Rub turkey all over with butter.

2. Place turkey, breast up, on a V-shaped rack in a 12- by 17-inch roasting pan, or one that is at least 2 in. longer and wider than the bird (B). Insert a meat thermometer through thickest part of breast to the bone. (If using an instant-read thermometer, insert when checking temperature later.)

3. Roast in a 325

Written By: loki 13 on 11/22/06 at 6:51 pm

We usually have a 15 lb bird but this year there will twice as many people at the table so we need the bigger
bird. This is a year of first, We never cooked for this many people and we never used an electric oven.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/22/06 at 6:53 pm

sorry to monopolize your thread kevin, here is a excerpt from a recipe I printed and have in a kitchen drawer at home.

Timing is critical for turkey...I tend not to follow charts because, frankly, every bird is different. Rather, I use a meat thermometer stuck into the deepest part of the thigh.
My thermometer says to take it to 180F internal, but an article in the LA Times two years ago says that all bacteria are dead at 165F. They recommend taking the turkey out of the oven at 160F and allow it to come to 165F in a foil tent, at which time it will be perfect. Myself, I find too often that parts of the bird are undercooked, so I leave it in the oven till somewhere between 165 and 170. Once it hits around 155, you have to keep a closer eye on it because at this point, it could overcook very quickly.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/22/06 at 7:01 pm

sorry to monopolize your thread kevin, here is a excerpt from a recipe I printed and have in a kitchen drawer at home.

Timing is critical for turkey...I tend not to follow charts because, frankly, every bird is different. Rather, I use a meat thermometer stuck into the deepest part of the thigh.
My thermometer says to take it to 180F internal, but an article in the LA Times two years ago says that all bacteria are dead at 165F. They recommend taking the turkey out of the oven at 160F and allow it to come to 165F in a foil tent, at which time it will be perfect. Myself, I find too often that parts of the bird are undercooked, so I leave it in the oven till somewhere between 165 and 170. Once it hits around 155, you have to keep a closer eye on it because at this point, it could overcook very quickly.

No need for apologies Mike, I really appreciate the help all of you have given me. Tomorrow night I
will tell you how it all turned out, hopefully when I stick a fork in to carve it the thing won't disintegrate.  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/22/06 at 7:03 pm

No need for apologies Mike, I really appreciate the help all of you have given me. Tomorrow night I
will tell you how it all turned out, hopefully when I stick a fork in to carve it the thing won't disintegrate.  ;D
like the Griswald turkey  ;D 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/22/06 at 7:24 pm

have a pop-up button.

Ahh, Acme are you in Philly, Delaware, or Jersey?

Written By: loki 13 on 11/22/06 at 7:32 pm

Ahh, Acme are you in Philly, Delaware, or Jersey?

Tanya, I knew you would get the Acme connection.  ;D

New Jersey, 5 minutes from Philadelphia

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/22/06 at 11:01 pm

Tanya, I knew you would get the Acme connection.  ;D

New Jersey, 5 minutes from Philadelphia

haha if you would also said Pathmark, Superfresh, and A&P I would've gotten the home region connection too! lol

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/22/06 at 11:30 pm

There was a voicemail on my phone when I got home. It was a good friend asking me to call her back and give her tips on cooking her turkey because last years bird at my house was so good.  That was a nice compliment. The weird thing is that I keep track of the turkey's I've cooked on a writing tablet and which ones came out good so I was able to look at my documentation and tell her, here's one from last year that is the same size as the one you wish to cook, here's how long it took, what temp, I even kept track of the internal temp. This sounds obsessive, but since I can't remember stuff too well, it helps me and she feels good about her chances for tomorrow. I'm gonna go make a turkey sandwich. I'll be back

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/22/06 at 11:36 pm

There was a voicemail on my phone when I got home. It was a good friend asking me to call her back and give her tips on cooking her turkey because last years bird at my house was so good.  That was a nice compliment. The weird thing is that I keep track of the turkey's I've cooked on a writing tablet and which ones came out good so I was able to look at my documentation and tell her, here's one from last year that is the same size as the one you wish to cook, here's how long it took, what temp, I even kept track of the internal temp. This sounds obsessive, but since I can't remember stuff too well, it helps me and she feels good about her chances for tomorrow. I'm gonna go make a turkey sandwich. I'll be back

haha make me one please!! lol

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/22/06 at 11:38 pm

haha make me one please!! lol
girl, if ever you are up North, I'll cook us up a good one. I'm even gonna make some homemade baked mac&cheese & I've never made that before, but I've roasted a couple dozen sacrificial turkeys.  :\'(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/23/06 at 12:57 am

girl, if ever you are up North, I'll cook us up a good one. I'm even gonna make some homemade baked mac&cheese & I've never made that before, but I've roasted a couple dozen sacrificial turkeys.  :\'(

I'll hold you to it!! lol

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/23/06 at 1:02 am

I'll hold you to it!! lol
I believe you would  ;D Hey, I'd love it, I love to cook for my friends. What side dish would you make ?  ???

I can't wait ti hear how loki13's turkey turns out 

Written By: karen on 11/23/06 at 3:34 am

One important thing to remember with an electric oven is to make sure it is up to temperature before you put the turkey in.  My mother in law has an old electric oven and it takes about half an hour to reach temperature.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/23/06 at 10:25 am

I believe you would  ;D Hey, I'd love it, I love to cook for my friends. What side dish would you make ?  ???

I can't wait ti hear how loki13's turkey turns out 

Giblet stuffing, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, and sweet potato pie.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/23/06 at 6:29 pm

Again, Thank you all for help in todays bird roasting.  ;)

The turkey came out great, and Mike, it did cook a little faster than I thought it would.
The bird came out moist and carved up well. My wife was panicing after about two hours in
the oven but after a little reassurance she calmed down. I made sure that everyone at the
table knew my friends at inthe00s helped with the cooking of the bird.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/23/06 at 6:34 pm

haha if you would also said Pathmark, Superfresh, and A&P I would've gotten the home region connection too! lol

I used to do my shopping at Pathmark but since we moved from Camden to Mt. Ephraim I would have
to pass Acme to get to Pathmark.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/23/06 at 6:49 pm

Giblet stuffing, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, and sweet potato pie.
yum, bring it on!  :) 

Again, Thank you all for help in todays bird roasting.  ;)

The turkey came out great, and Mike, it did cook a little faster than I thought it would.
The bird came out moist and carved up well. My wife was panicing after about two hours in
the oven but after a little reassurance she calmed down. I made sure that everyone at the
table knew my friends at inthe00s helped with the cooking of the bird.

Right on Kevin. That's good news. I can understand your wife's anxiety as she wanted it to turn out good. Hopefully there are leftovers for a good turkey sandwich.  I was talking turkey with all my wifes uncles today & got some additional tips for myself to use.  take care  8)

Written By: loki 13 on 11/23/06 at 6:56 pm

Right on Kevin. That's good news. I can understand your wife's anxiety as she wanted it to turn out good. Hopefully there are leftovers for a good turkey sandwich.  I was talking turkey with all my wifes uncles today & got some additional tips for myself to use.  take care  8)

There is enough for some turkey sandwiches but suprisingly, not much.  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/23/06 at 6:58 pm

There is enough for some turkey sandwiches but suprisingly, not much.  ;D
well I'd consider that a good compliment that it got devoured.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/23/06 at 8:33 pm

I used to do my shopping at Pathmark but since we moved from Camden to Mt. Ephraim I would have
to pass Acme to get to Pathmark.

I hear ya. Pathmark has some of the best "in-market" steamed crab legs!

yum, bring it on!  :)  

Will do!  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...