inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite foods for Christmas?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/06 at 9:26 pm

What do you guys usually eat for Christmas?  Do any of you have any unique traditions with food?

Subject: Re: Favorite foods for Christmas?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/27/06 at 9:26 pm

What do you guys usually eat for Christmas?  Do any of you have any unique traditions with food?

We eat the same thing we ate for Thanksgiving.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/27/06 at 9:40 pm

pretty much the same as Thanksgiving, but if standing rib roasts are on sale, I may have beef as an entree instead of turkey.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/27/06 at 9:42 pm

We eat the same thing we ate for Thanksgiving.

Same thing we eat every holiday, Pinky.  Pie to take over the world!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/06 at 9:57 pm

For Christmas, we have a traditional Italian meal on Christmas Day. We usually have raviolis with meatballs, bread, salad, and a few side dishes.  On Christmas Eve, we have ham and kielbasa, with different side dishes.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/27/06 at 11:37 pm

Pretty much the same as Thanksgiving. Though this year, I'm thinking about a Christmas roast.

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/28/06 at 2:45 am

So far we've always ate the same stuff from Thanksgiving on Christmas.

When I move to Florida though I'm gonna have more traditional food on Thanksgiving, and do something different for Christmas. Maybe seafood.

Written By: karen on 11/28/06 at 7:23 am

We would usually have some sort of starter such as stilton soup  or melon or prawn cocktail perhaps.  Then the main course is turkey, mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, brussel sprouts, carrots, roast parsnips, broccoli and maybe cauliflower.  either the broccoli or the cauliflower would be done in a sauce and then baked in the oven.  Plus sausagemeat stuffing, bread sauce, bacon and sausage rolls, sage and onion or chestnut stuffing, cranberry jelly and gravy.  For pudding there will be Christmas Pudding and brandy sauce.  If there is still room we'll have a cheese board with some port to drink.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/28/06 at 10:35 am

I'm actually not sure what we eat... However, I AM quite fond of macaroni and cheese. Perhaps I'll eat that this year.

Written By: karen on 11/28/06 at 10:39 am

I'm actually not sure what we eat... However, I AM quite fond of macaroni and cheese. Perhaps I'll eat that this year.

I am failing to understand why most everyone here eats so much mac and cheese.  The last time I ate it was last year when we bought some Mick and Cheese from Disneyland before that was probably 25-30 years ago.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/28/06 at 10:48 am

I am failing to understand why most everyone here eats so much mac and cheese.  The last time I ate it was last year when we bought some Mick and Cheese from Disneyland before that was probably 25-30 years ago.

Well, that's just you... People eat it as they please. I haven't had it in a few months, probably... I miss it. =(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/28/06 at 10:49 am

It's good.....that's why we eat it.  It might not have the popularity in other parts of the world that it does here in the States.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/28/06 at 11:20 am

It's good.....that's why we eat it.  It might not have the popularity in other parts of the world that it does here in the States.

yes, it's an easy and quick thing to make...that you can add lots of variations to. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/28/06 at 11:46 am

I grew up having turkey on Christmas. Carlos grew up having pork roast with rice & beans (a traditional Puerto Rican meal) on Christmas. Last year, we had his kids at Christmas and since we didn't have a turkey at Thanksgiving, we chose to have turkey for Christmas (and that included his son's vote for turkey). Well, his 2 daughters (who were here) kept complaining about having turkey instead of the pork roast. If they voiced their dissatisfaction once, ok, I can understand that. But they went on and on about it.  I wanted to deck them.  >:(  I think I finally told them, "Enough!"

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/28/06 at 1:52 pm

Our big Christmas meal is brunch.  We have Lutefisk (Scandinavian cod fish,) ham, quiche, muffins, etc.  Good stuff.  (Except for the fish.  I don't eat it.)

Written By: La Roche on 11/28/06 at 1:58 pm

Macaroni.

Written By: Paul on 11/28/06 at 2:15 pm

Macaroni.

No cheese?

Actually, the last macaroni and cheese I had (when I was on jury service) was so bad that I think it put me off it for life...

Written By: La Roche on 11/28/06 at 2:31 pm

No cheese?

Actually, the last macaroni and cheese I had (when I was on jury service) was so bad that I think it put me off it for life...

Yeah, with cheese. See, I'm talking about the real mac n cheese. The vibrant orange stuff from Kraft.

Written By: whistledog on 11/29/06 at 4:08 am

Shortbread cookies in the shapes of trees :)

I also love Holiday Rice Krispies made into Krispie Squares 8)

Written By: Gidgxx on 11/29/06 at 10:09 am

I like pumpkin rolls, kind of rich though. I also like cherry cheese cake too.

Written By: spaceace on 11/29/06 at 11:29 am

My Mom makes homemade veggie soup for Christmas lunch.  I always look forward to that. :)

Written By: Stompgal on 11/29/06 at 1:17 pm

Here's what I like to eat over Christmas:

Hot food
Roast turkey
Roast potatoes
Boiled vegetables such as carrots, peas and broccoli
Pigs in blankets

Sweet food
Christmas pudding
Mince pies
Yule log
Chocolate

Cold/buffet food
Cold meats such as ham and chicken
Salad
Pringles
Pickled onions
Cheddar cheese
Wensleydale with cranberries
Stilton with apricot
Prawn cocktail

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/29/06 at 3:49 pm

Carlos grew up having pork roast with rice & beans (a traditional Puerto Rican meal) on Christmas.

Cat

That sounds so good!

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/29/06 at 3:51 pm

Macaroni cheese has to be done properly. It needs to be creamy, use velveeta cheese and a little milk. Also, put cheese lattices(sp?) over the top.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/06 at 3:53 pm

Chocolate oranges. This is the only time of year they sell them so I stock up. Just got my year's supply today and had one for the first time in a while. I used to give one to the kids everyone but they b!tched and complained about them so they are not going to get them this year and that means more for us.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/29/06 at 3:57 pm

Chocolate oranges. This is the only time of year they sell them so I stock up. Just got my year's supply today and had one for the first time in a while. I used to give one to the kids everyone but they b!tched and complained about them so they are not going to get them this year and that means more for us.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I love those! I also like fruit cake and egg nog during the holidays.

Could you do me a favor, please? Could you get the recipe from Carlos for that pork roast? ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/29/06 at 3:58 pm

The one thing my mom makes for Christmas that she doesn't make for Thanksgiving is baked mashed potatoes.

Written By: La Roche on 11/29/06 at 4:00 pm

Macaroni cheese has to be done properly. It needs to be creamy, use velveeta cheese and a little milk. Also, put cheese lattices(sp?) over the top.

Ooohh noooo.

I'm so weird.

I want it all lumped together, then I stick it in the fridge so it's cold and has to be cut with a knife.. then I cry because it's so good.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/29/06 at 4:01 pm

Ooohh noooo.

I'm so weird.

I want it all lumped together, then I stick it in the fridge so it's cold and has to be cut with a knife.. then I cry because it's so good.

My mom's mac and cheese is always creamy and she NEVER uses Velveeta.

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/29/06 at 4:02 pm

Well isn't she special? ::) :P

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/29/06 at 4:03 pm

Well isn't she special? ::) :P

Yes, yes she is.  That's why she's my mom.

Written By: La Roche on 11/29/06 at 4:04 pm

I don't like your moms then. As I say, I like it lumpy and cold.... ooohh baby.. cold.

Yes, yes she is.  That's why she's my mom.

Your Mom's real special.. if ya smell what The Rock is cookin'  ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/29/06 at 4:04 pm

I don't like your moms then. As I say, I like it lumpy and cold.... ooohh baby.. cold.

;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/29/06 at 4:06 pm

Actually I've ate it that way. I think liking cold food is programmed into all guys' DNA. Pizza, fried chicken etc. :P

You're so shameless.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/06 at 4:27 pm

I love those! I also like fruit cake and egg nog during the holidays.

Could you do me a favor, please? Could you get the recipe from Carlos for that pork roast? ???

He prefers fresh ham with the skin on it. But, any pork roast will do. Place the roast in a roasting pan, spice with salt, pepper & lots of garlic power. Heat the oven to 350 and roast until done. That's it. If the roast is well trimmed, cover it with several strips of bacon. You also might want to put potato chunks in with the roast.

Rice & Beans:

Depending on how many people you are cooking for-these are the proportions:

2 Pink beans
1 large can of tomato sauce
1 large can of water
a couple of cubed onions
a green pepper chopped up
garlic
salt to taste
black pepper to taste

Simmer together forever.

Serve over rice.

Most Puerto Ricans will just keep adding new ingredents to the leftovers so it keeps the old flavors-in fact, most Puerto Ricans will ALWAYS have a pot of beans on the stove. Rice & Beans are the same as speghetti sauce-everyone has their own recipe.

ENJOY!!!!

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 11/29/06 at 4:28 pm

Actually I've ate it that way. I think liking cold food is programmed into all guys' DNA. Pizza, fried chicken etc. :P

You're so shameless.  ;D

Cold Pizza with macaroni and fried chicken.. both cold.. oh man, kick me in the nuts and call me Charlie, I'm there.

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/29/06 at 4:48 pm

He prefers fresh ham with the skin on it. But, any pork roast will do. Place the roast in a roasting pan, spice with salt, pepper & lots of garlic power. Heat the oven to 350 and roast until done. That's it. If the roast is well trimmed, cover it with several strips of bacon. You also might want to put potato chunks in with the roast.

Rice & Beans:

Depending on how many people you are cooking for-these are the proportions:

2 Pink beans
1 large can of tomato sauce
1 large can of water
a couple of cubed onions
a green pepper chopped up
garlic
salt to taste
black pepper to taste

Simmer together forever.

Serve over rice.

Most Puerto Ricans will just keep adding new ingredents to the leftovers so it keeps the old flavors-in fact, most Puerto Ricans will ALWAYS have a pot of beans on the stove. Rice & Beans are the same as speghetti sauce-everyone has their own recipe.

ENJOY!!!!

Cat

Thanks Cat! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/06 at 5:13 pm

Thanks Cat! :)

Thank Carlos. I just typed what he said.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 12/08/06 at 4:50 pm

For Christmas, we have a traditional Italian meal on Christmas Day. We usually have raviolis with meatballs, bread, salad, and a few side dishes.  On Christmas Eve, we have ham and kielbasa, with different side dishes.
Have you ever done the "feast of the 7 fishes" or whatever it is called?  I was dating a full blooded Italian once and that's what they always ate on Christmas....not good for someone who doesn't really like fish (which would have been me) :-\\

We usually have 2 Christmases...one with my family where we do turkey or prime rib, then one with his family where his mom makes ham so we get a little bit of everything ;D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 12/08/06 at 4:52 pm

2 Pink beans

MAN!!!  Those must be some BIG beans ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/08/06 at 6:01 pm

Have you ever done the "feast of the 7 fishes" or whatever it is called?  I was dating a full blooded Italian once and that's what they always ate on Christmas....not good for someone who doesn't really like fish (which would have been me) :-\\

We usually have 2 Christmases...one with my family where we do turkey or prime rib, then one with his family where his mom makes ham so we get a little bit of everything ;D

no, we've never done that, however, when my dad was young...his grandmother would make a HUGE traditional Italian feast for them...and it always consisted of many kinds of fish (I would not have liked it...I've never been big on fish).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/06 at 11:47 am

MAN!!!  Those must be some BIG beans ;D

Oops. I meant 2 CANS of pink beans.  :D

My sister is married to an Italian. His parents were "straight off the boat" from Italy. We had Christmas dinner with them once (I was about 15/16 at the time). They started off with pasta and then there were many more courses to follow-which I can't quite remember. What I mainly remember about the meal was the homemade wine (VERY potent). As soon as you took a sip, the glass was refilled. I had no idea how much I drank-yes, I was 15/16 at the time. I got so drunk (which is why I can't remember any of the other courses)-and of course, got sick, too.  :-[

Cat

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 12/12/06 at 8:09 am

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think the fish thing was on Christmas Eve ???

Check for new replies or respond here...