inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The McDLT

Written By: whistledog on 12/01/06 at 12:35 am

Does anyone miss the McDonalds McDLT? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49w8QB0RL5c

I always had a hell of a time trying to assemble them.  I made big messes with the lettuce :-[

Subject: Re: The McDLT

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 12/01/06 at 12:04 pm

I don't miss it at all.

Written By: spaceace on 12/01/06 at 12:10 pm

Yeah, I miss them.  I've been reduce to eating Big Macs.  (Speaking of messes!!)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/01/06 at 11:46 pm

Yeah, I do. I remember the very first time they served them. As a kid, I had to run up and get one.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/02/06 at 1:10 am

I've never even heard of this. 

Written By: nally on 12/02/06 at 1:11 am

McDLT? I heard of it a wayyyy long time ago, but it never appealed to me. :P I think it was some time in the late 80's or early 90's when I heard about it.

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/06 at 1:55 am

McDLT? I heard of it a wayyyy long time ago, but it never appealed to me. :P I think it was some time in the late 80's or early 90's when I heard about it.

It was introduced in 1985.  As I recall, when McDonalds were forced to stop using polystyrene containers for their burgers, they discontinued the sandwich (sometime in the 90s)

Written By: nally on 12/02/06 at 1:58 am

It was introduced in 1985.  As I recall, when McDonalds were forced to stop using polystyrene containers for their burgers, they discontinued the sandwich (sometime in the 90s)

Well, that explains it. ::)

In 1985...I was 5 years old. I may have vague recollections of seeing ads for it on tv.

Written By: Stompgal on 12/02/06 at 3:18 am

I've never heard of the McDLT because it might have been an American product. Limited edition McDonald's products in the UK include the Big Tasty (2003, 2006), Chicken Italiano (2002), Crinkle Fries (2006, available at present) and the Strawberries and Dream McFlurry (circa 2003).

Written By: Marian on 12/02/06 at 1:51 pm

I can remember before they STARTED to use polystyrene containres.They were a a paiin anyway.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/06 at 1:53 pm

We never had that over here.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 12/04/06 at 8:17 am

I used to love these.  :\'(

Wasn't the tagline "The hot stays hot and the cold stays cold" or something like that?

Written By: spaceace on 12/04/06 at 12:35 pm

Wasn't the tagline "The hot stays hot and the cold stays cold" or something like that?

Yep!  And you can bet that tomato aways stayed cold. :)

Written By: whistledog on 12/04/06 at 5:32 pm

Here's a McDLT commercial from 1985 starring then unknown Jason Alexander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTSdUOC8Kac

Why is it you never see commercials anymore where people sing and dance in the street?  I loved those

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 12/05/06 at 10:26 am

I liked them because they had mayonnaise and you can't get that on a burger very often ;)

Written By: Tam on 12/05/06 at 3:34 pm

I loved the McDLT!
Brings back memories of the commercial menu song!
I knew this one word for word!!! Of course, I trip over words now but back in the day... :o ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvhDw5bQbd8

Written By: whistledog on 12/06/06 at 10:54 am

I loved the McDLT!
Brings back memories of the commercial menu song!
I knew this one word for word!!! Of course, I trip over words now but back in the day... :o ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvhDw5bQbd8

At one point, I knew all the words to that as well ;D

Written By: Snoopygirl on 12/23/06 at 8:28 pm

I remember this and miss them too!
They were messy tho. I remember one of the first times I ate one. Took a bite and everything but the burger fell out the other side.

Written By: shirleyrocks on 01/05/07 at 1:42 pm

I don't eat McDonald's.  Quit eating there years ago.  It made me sick.  In a moment of weakness I ordered some chicken fingers in September '05 and that was the last time I make that mistake.  Was feeling that for days afterwards.  It reminded me why I quit eating there in a first place. 

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/15/07 at 6:52 am

I liked them because they had mayonnaise and you can't get that on a burger very often ;)

Try taking a trip to Burger King. Whoppers have both mayo and ketchup as a sauce.(Not quite a secret recipe, but then again, neither is the thousand island dressing used in Big Macs)

Written By: jackas on 01/19/07 at 11:17 pm

I don't remember the McDLT at all.  It looks similar to the Big and Tasty though.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 01/27/07 at 5:00 pm

I loved these. My favorite burger as a kid. I remember getting them on the way home from school. It was a sad day when those were discontinued.

There food was much better when it was in those containers. They should have tried inventing a more environment friendly alternative.

Written By: J walker on 12/26/07 at 10:21 pm

That was my favorite burger. I had no problem putting it together. Ofcourse, I can chew gum and walk at the same time. It's funny, because the ppl that coudn't
put them together have no problem driving and talking on the cell at the same time.

Written By: Marian on 12/27/07 at 1:45 pm

I remember BEFORE they used polystyrene! :o

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/27/07 at 7:41 pm

I have never in my life heard of these things. LOL.

If you ever see me in Mickey D's I'll be getting the same thing: A Big Mac, a Large Fry and a Sprite!

And what exactly is polystyrene? Is that the little styrofoam containers they had? (I remember my mom dropped a cigarette on one once by mistake and it stank to high heaven!) 8-P

Written By: Red Ant on 12/28/07 at 1:50 am

I have never in my life heard of these things. LOL.

If you ever see me in Mickey D's I'll be getting the same thing: A Big Mac, a Large Fry and a Sprite!

And what exactly is polystyrene? Is that the little styrofoam containers they had? (I remember my mom dropped a cigarette on one once by mistake and it stank to high heaven!) 8-P

Polystyrene is pretty eco-unfriendly. A discarded McDLT wrapper from the 80s would look about the same today. It's not the same as styro-foam.

McDLTs were one of the good sandwiches Mickey Ds had. The idea was brilliant, and I remember the tomatoes and lettuce were actually fresh and ripe.

Ant

Written By: sugar168 on 01/03/08 at 11:29 pm

You can still get mayo at MCD's you just have to ask...they have it back there...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/04/08 at 4:43 pm

In 1986, some months after their January 1986 Super Bowl victory, the Chicago Bears' star defensive lineman, William "The Refrigerator" Perry did TV ads for the sandwich in Chicagoland.  As I recall, at that time it was considered "new".

I liked it and thought the burger was a good concept.  I remember enjoying it on numerous occasions.  I don't recall when it was discontinued.

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/04/08 at 7:36 pm

What I liked about the McDLT was that the lettuce and tomato were fresh and crisp instead of soggy. I miss those days.

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/04/08 at 7:40 pm

Yes, these were actually GOOD. For the first six months or so anyway, McD's had an EDIBLE burger.
The McDLT was the first McDonalds burger that had tomato, lettuce and mayo, and damn if it wasn't pretty tasty.

"The hot side stays hot and the cold stays cold" was pretty much BS though, it would only keep the sides cool or hot for a few minutes if you were to eat in. If you took it home it the whole thing just ended up being lukewarm.  :P

Written By: rsbryswrrl on 03/10/08 at 1:42 pm

Loved the McDLT!!!  I remember my mom picking me up from camp and we stopped at Mickey D's and I had this big decision over whether to get the McDLT or the brand new chicken Mcnuggets!  I think I got the Mcnuggets that time, but soon after tried the McDLT.

Written By: cinnabon on 03/10/08 at 4:38 pm

I remember the McDLT as well as the cheddar melt (that one had cheddar cheese sauce, which looked more like Cheez Whiz to me and grilled onions) - it was a regular item on their menu as well in the mid 80's then they brought it back from time to time after that as an occasional special until sometime through the mid 90's.

Written By: Kryllith on 03/26/08 at 1:35 pm

Never ate it. They put the cheese on the cold side and that was enough to convince me I wasn't interested.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/26/08 at 3:45 pm

I like McDLTs.  Probably the only thing I like from MickeyD's

Written By: ninny on 03/26/08 at 3:49 pm

I like McDLTs.  Probably the only thing I like from MickeyD's

Ditto

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/26/08 at 3:53 pm

Ditto

Don't know why, but they were actually pretty decent.

Written By: ninny on 03/26/08 at 4:37 pm

Don't know why, but they were actually pretty decent.

They actually tasted better than a Quarter pounder,they tasted fresher (if that makes sense)
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UTSdUOC8Kac&hl=en">

Written By: Step-chan on 03/26/08 at 6:40 pm

Does anyone miss the McDonalds McDLT? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49w8QB0RL5c

I always had a hell of a time trying to assemble them.  I made big messes with the lettuce :-[

That video was removed(Crap, I needed a reminder of what they are)... I remember them... but forgot what they were a combination of.

I don't think I've ever had them though.

Edit: Did a google for it, now refreshed... (sort of)... Now I know I never tried them.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/27/08 at 11:40 am

They actually tasted better than a Quarter pounder,they tasted fresher (if that makes sense)
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UTSdUOC8Kac&hl=en">

I think that's a perfect description for it.  Considering the fact that Whistledog had a heck of a time assembling it say something.  (It says complicated, which in my opinion means edible.)

Written By: ninny on 03/27/08 at 11:56 am

I think that's a perfect description for it.  Considering the fact that Whistledog had a heck of a time assembling it say something.  (It says complicated, which in my opinion means edible.)

sort of like a masterpiece ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/27/08 at 11:57 am

sort of like a masterpiece ;D

Exactly!!

Check for new replies or respond here...