inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is junk food less cool/less advertized now?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/23/06 at 1:32 am

People will always like it (me included), but I see alot less commercials for snacks and junk-type food now than in the '80s and '90s. Society is more health-concious these days, which is a good thing. I also notice far more people into things like vegetarianism - I became one four years ago, myself.

Subject: Re: Is junk food less cool/less advertized now?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/23/06 at 5:38 pm

Yes. When I was younger, even up into my teens...I remember like every other commercial advertising things like: fruit roll-ups, Kool-Aid, Keebler cookie commercials, TONS of different junk cereals (think: cookie crisp, Cap'n Crunch, Cocoa Pebbles, etc..) and a myriad of other fattening goods.  I do still see some during the day (like when kids get home from school, etc)....but it seems not nearly as much as when I was younger.

Written By: Snoopygirl on 12/23/06 at 8:22 pm

Yes. When I was younger, even up into my teens...I remember like every other commercial advertising things like: fruit roll-ups, Kool-Aid, Keebler cookie commercials, TONS of different junk cereals (think: cookie crisp, Cap'n Crunch, Cocoa Pebbles, etc..) and a myriad of other fattening goods.  I do still see some during the day (like when kids get home from school, etc)....but it seems not nearly as much as when I was younger.

I agree. I remember in the 80's you'd see alot of those advertised on tv. But I guess as people go into healthier eating, they didn't want to advertise it as much.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/24/06 at 12:06 am

I agree. I remember in the 80's you'd see alot of those advertised on tv. But I guess as people go into healthier eating, they didn't want to advertise it as much.

You know, the irony of that is, the '80s were the beginning of the fitness craze. Jane Fonda had alot of workout books and videos in particular. This was especially, like a 1982-'85 thing. You'd think there'd be less of it.

Do you remember Snackwells? They're like a healthier/less calorie brand of cookies and dessert snacks. Of course they're not as good as the regular ones though, lol. It's still around, but I remember it for the first time around the mid '90s.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/24/06 at 9:06 pm

You know, the irony of that is, the '80s were the beginning of the fitness craze. Jane Fonda had alot of workout books and videos in particular. This was especially, like a 1982-'85 thing. You'd think there'd be less of it.

Do you remember Snackwells? They're like a healthier/less calorie brand of cookies and dessert snacks. Of course they're not as good as the regular ones though, lol. It's still around, but I remember it for the first time around the mid '90s.

Snackwells...mmm, I loved those chocolate devil's food cookies...those were great!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/24/06 at 10:12 pm

Snackwells...mmm, I loved those chocolate devil's food cookies...those were great!

I still eat them.  They are addicting!

Written By: Stompgal on 01/01/07 at 5:37 am

In the past few years, I've heard news about junk food commercials being banned before 9pm and during children's programming hours. On channels such as CITV, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, I've seen adverts for Haribo sweets and McDonald's Happy Meals.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/02/07 at 1:45 pm

I still eat them.  They are addicting!

I love them too.  Of course, eating the entire box kinda defeats the whole "healthy" thing...

I've noticed they still have pizza commercials on right about dinner time when they know you're hungry and not wanting to cook.  That's just mean.

Written By: Marian on 01/12/07 at 2:25 pm

Seeing those ads with the slightly dorky looking  little kids asking for"some fat'or "some grease"does make junk food seem a lot less cool.Or the one narrarated by an adult guy with home movies of a little kid pigging out on junk food.

Written By: Trimac20 on 01/26/07 at 11:41 am

Not around these parts...in fact, it seems to me such ads are more common than ever...

Written By: Brian06 on 01/26/07 at 11:44 am

Possibly a little bit, junk food has been criticized a lot more lately because of health issues, there's nothing wrong with some junk food of course though.

Written By: Marian on 01/27/07 at 2:20 pm

Possibly a little bit, junk food has been criticized a lot more lately because of health issues, there's nothing wrong with some junk food of course though.
Just with letting kids pig out on whatever they want.

Check for new replies or respond here...