inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Chicken Fried Steak

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 01/15/07 at 8:48 am

Ok so I have a recipe for chicken fried steak and follow it exactly, but I must be doing something wrong and I don't know what.

I DO know:
-you use already hammered cube steaks
-season them with salt and pepper
-dip them in an egg mixture
-dip them in flour
-fry them in a good layer of oil

Well, at least I don't burn anything, but I can't get it to look (or taste) like chicken-fried steak you'd have anywhere else.  It's like I can't get enough flour to make it a nice crispy brown or maybe there's something else this recipe is missing.

Does anyone have any tips?

Subject: Re: Chicken Fried Steak

Written By: esoxslayer on 01/15/07 at 8:53 am

Ok so I have a recipe for chicken fried steak and follow it exactly, but I must be doing something wrong and I don't know what.

I DO know:
-dip them in flour

Well, at least I don't burn anything, but I can't get it to look (or taste) like chicken-fried steak you'd have anywhere else.  It's like I can't get enough flour to make it a nice crispy brown or maybe there's something else this recipe is missing.

I dip mine in a liquid batter of flour and either water or milk, and add a few seasonings to the batter as well.  Flour alone will not make the crust you are used to seeing, they have to be batter dipped.  Try some onion powder as well to the batter, and maybe a touch of garlic powder.

I used to chef it for a living, and although the cuisine was more upscale and CFS wasn't carried on the menu, I do like to make it from time to time for around the house....hope this helps.....

one last note...a tad bit of baking powder will help keep the batter (crust) more light and aesthetically pleasing when served....

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/15/07 at 7:24 pm

This is how I make mine...
Go to Cracker Barrel, order and eat.  LOL!

Actually, I have made chicken fried chicken before.  I use a batter for it. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/15/07 at 8:08 pm

I double batter the steak.  I dip it in egg, flour, back in egg and then in flour again before I put it in the oil. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/15/07 at 8:15 pm

I would prepare it the same way you're already are, except I would coat the the cutlet in dry flour, then i would dip it in the egg mixture, then I would dredge it once more in the flour after the eggwash.  good luck. this made me hungry for some chicken fried steak and gravy

Written By: Jessica on 01/18/07 at 5:03 pm

I DO know:
-dip them in flour

Yeah, mine pretty much turns out like that. But everyone on here has some good ideas, so I'll have to try them out and see what happens.

I LOOOOOOVE chicken fried steak.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 01/18/07 at 6:33 pm

I'm thinking about when I made fried spinach and that's basically making a batter of chickpea flour, water, egg, and spices. 

So, should I mix flour & water with egg and add some spices to make batter for the CFS? Or should I keep the egg separate?  I really have no clue about this stuff

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/18/07 at 8:52 pm

I'm thinking about when I made fried spinach and that's basically making a batter of chickpea flour, water, egg, and spices. 

So, should I mix flour & water with egg and add some spices to make batter for the CFS? Or should I keep the egg separate?  I really have no clue about this stuff

No no, you keep the eggs and flour separate.  You put the spices in the flour mixture.  Make sure you have a cast iron skillet or dutch oven, first off.  That's what my mom uses.  Next, make sure you're using peanut oil and not olive oil.  Olive oil doesn't have a high smoking point, so it can't get hot enough without burning.  Next, coat the steak lightly first in the flour.  Then dredge it in the egg mixture and then back in the flour.  Then put it in the skillet.  It should be a golden brown....that's when you know its done.  It's basically like making fried chicken, only you're not soaking the steak in buttermilk ahead of time. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/20/07 at 1:59 am

everytime I read through this thread it makes me yearn for CFS and gravy.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/23/07 at 10:16 pm

My grandma used to use buttermilk to make a batter with flour, salt & pepper.  She'd coat the steaks in the batter, then dredge it in biscuit mix, salt & pepper and oven fry them.  They were pretty darned good :P

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 01/27/07 at 9:56 am

Oh dang it! 

I attempted making CFS the other night and I followed y'alls advice.  It still didn't turn out right.  The "crust" was a little better, but it still didn't even look like chicken fried steak.  I think I'm having problems keeping enough batter on it, since when I pick it up or use tongs to put it in the pan, that much batter disappears from the steak and sticks to my fingers or the tongs.  And should I maybe not flip the steak over so much?  I'm just scared of burning it but I may be messing it up.
Also, the steak itself is way too dry.  I season it before putting it in the batter.  Is there something else I should do to the steak beforehand?

Written By: danootaandme on 01/27/07 at 2:47 pm

I have never had chicken fried steak, but, I always use 2 parts cornmeal to 1 part flour when frying anything.  It is a tastier, anc crunchier coating.  I would think it would work here as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...