inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Soda, Pop, or Coke

Written By: Brian06 on 01/26/07 at 12:31 pm

I'm from Ohio and the majority of people use the term pop here, but soda is recognized as well.

Subject: Re: Soda, Pop, or Coke

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 01/26/07 at 2:47 pm

I call it soda unless I'm ordering a specific one. Then I'll say Pepsi or Coke.

Pop is what you call your dad, not a drink.  ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 01/26/07 at 2:48 pm

Pop is what you call your dad, not a drink.  ;D

;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/26/07 at 3:16 pm

I say soda. 

I'm a former New Yorker living in the south, most people say pop down here.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/26/07 at 3:38 pm

It's pop.  I've never heard it called pop in the South.  It's Coke down here.....whether the brand is Coke or not.

Written By: spaceace on 01/26/07 at 3:51 pm

I call it soda.  I've got inbreds that live in Ohio that call it pop. :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/26/07 at 3:56 pm

Other : Soft Drink

No-one from the US who calls all of them Coke has ever explained to my satisfaction how one (e.g.) gets a Pepsi, if that's what they want, if you ask for a Coke.

How does this work ?  ???

What am I missing here ?  If Coke is a brand name, then WTF would you ask for a Coke if you want something else ?  :o :o :o

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/26/07 at 3:58 pm

Other : Soft Drink

No-one from the US who calls all of them Coke has ever explained to my satisfaction how one (e.g.) gets a Pepsi, if that's what they want, if you ask for a Coke.

How does this work ?  ???

What am I missing here ?  If Coke is a brand name, then WTF would you ask for a Coke if you want something else ?  :o :o :o

Coke is king in the South, because it's made here in Atlanta.  For some reason, Coke has come to mean all carbonated beverages.  If the waitress asks if you want a Coke, and you say you want a Pepsi....chances are you won't get it because there aren't many restaurants here that serve it.  It's either Coke products or water.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/26/07 at 4:25 pm

Coke is king in the South, because it's made here in Atlanta.  For some reason, Coke has come to mean all carbonated beverages.  If the waitress asks if you want a Coke, and you say you want a Pepsi....chances are you won't get it because there aren't many restaurants here that serve it.  It's either Coke products or water.

Well, I have no problem with the last sentence  :)  That's the way it SHOULD be  :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/26/07 at 4:26 pm

I've always called soft drinks 'soda'... :)

Written By: Jessica on 01/26/07 at 6:12 pm

I called it soda until I moved over here. Now it's "pop".

Written By: spaceace on 01/26/07 at 6:14 pm

I called it soda until I moved over here. Now it's "pop".

Compromise Jessica, call it soda pop. :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/26/07 at 11:59 pm

"Fizzy Drink" or "Fizz". Either that it's just named what it is. IE: "Get me a sprite" or "pour me a coke".

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/27/07 at 12:01 am

I call it pop.

Written By: Tam on 01/27/07 at 12:21 pm

I call it soda now but used to call it pop.
When I go to a restaurant, I ask for Pepsi, then they ask "Is coke good?" to which I usually answer yes because I like fountain coke better than I like fountain Pepsi. Even though I am a die hard chronic Pepsi addict.

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/27/07 at 2:12 pm

I always ask for a specific one, like root beer, orange, diet Coke, Coke, Pepsi. I don't drink as much carbonated drinks as I used to, since they eat at my stomach lining.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/27/07 at 2:39 pm

You can always tell a  truly generational Bostonian when they say they want tonic.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/29/07 at 2:28 pm

I call it soda and I'm from Philadelphia.

I've heard it called pop when I lived in Atlanta as well as Coke.

Written By: nally on 02/15/07 at 1:13 pm

I choose other: "soda gog"...inspired by a skit on "Whose Line Is It Anyway."

Written By: gemini on 02/16/07 at 5:22 pm

Pop here! Must be an Ohio thing.

Written By: spaceace on 02/16/07 at 5:42 pm

Both of my parents family are from Meigs (Yeah, feel free to pity)  They all call it pop.

Written By: Midas on 02/22/07 at 9:08 pm

I calls it pop.  Generally prefer Pepsi products to Coke.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 02/23/07 at 10:48 am

It's soda to me

Written By: karen on 02/23/07 at 10:55 am

pop unless I'm asking for a specific drink

Written By: NullandVoid on 02/23/07 at 10:40 pm

Soda most definitely. You say Pop in NYC people will think you're talkin about dancing

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/01/07 at 12:22 pm

I choose other: "soda gog"...inspired by a skit on "Whose Line Is It Anyway."

I remember that "Whose Line" skit  ;D

It's Pop for me.  But my Philly-area husband and I go rounds and rounds about the REAL name of the beverage - tee hee  ::)

Written By: Step-chan on 05/01/07 at 4:20 pm

Pop is what I call it.

Written By: Satish on 05/02/07 at 2:04 pm

Everyone here in Canada calls it pop, but I personally prefer soda.

Written By: wildcard on 05/02/07 at 4:04 pm

I say Coke because thats what I drink. 

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/10/07 at 3:06 pm

I asked for some carbinated water with syrup once and I got a mean look.  I guess that is too long.

Written By: jackas on 05/17/07 at 11:22 am

If the waitress asks if you want a Coke, and you say you want a Pepsi....chances are you won't get it because there aren't many restaurants here that serve it.  It's either Coke products or water.

This is BS...I've live in Florida and North Carolina and there are restaurants that have Coke and others that have Pepsi, just like the rest of the US.  Of course you will have those that would argue that NC isn't the south. ::) ::)

By the way, I call it soda and I'm from California.  My father grew up in the Boston area and he always called it tonic. ;D ::)

Written By: jackas on 05/17/07 at 11:24 am

You can always tell a  truly generational Bostonian when they say they want tonic.

Just saw this.....

And just like I said above. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/17/07 at 12:24 pm

I say soda. When I lived in Oklahoma, it was pop but I REFUSED to say that. When I would ask "what kind of soda do you have?" I would get stranges looks. So, I learned to say, "What kind of soft drinks to you have?" and they knew what I was asking. Of course today, I don't drink any of it (well, maybe a 7-Up, Ginger ale or Sprite if it is mixed with something.  ;D ;D ;D )

Cat

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 05/17/07 at 12:46 pm

I call it soda.

Written By: jens_pinkflute on 05/17/07 at 2:20 pm

I use to say soft drinks or soda. I don't drink sodas anymore I use to have regular sodas(not diet ones) with the sugar and all nearly everyday and I would turn into a very scarey individual, I'll just leave it at that lol.

Written By: jens_pinkflute on 05/18/07 at 3:38 pm

forgot to ask this on my post, but why do some people call it "coke"? I don't understand that. Did that mean just coke the brand for soda or for every kind.

Here where I live it is called soda or soft drinks, as I said yesterday. I don't think anyone calls it pop anymore I don't know why.

Written By: Dave79 on 05/22/07 at 7:39 am

Why pop of course.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/23/07 at 8:01 pm

Wow, so I'm the only one who calls it "Coke"......guess thats what I get for being the Okie on here

Written By: KKay on 05/23/07 at 8:23 pm

Coke is a brand that only came in one flavor.  that makes me nuts.  pop is ok.  i know someone that says 'sodapop'
and that i find cute.

Written By: Dave79 on 05/24/07 at 2:30 am

I say soda. When I lived in Oklahoma, it was pop but I REFUSED to say that. When I would ask "what kind of soda do you have?" I would get stranges looks. So, I learned to say, "What kind of soft drinks to you have?" and they knew what I was asking. Of course today, I don't drink any of it (well, maybe a 7-Up, Ginger ale or Sprite if it is mixed with something.  ;D ;D ;D )

Cat

Indeed here in Oklahoma its pop. But we know what you mean by soft drink most of the time.  :D

--
Dave.

Written By: fusefan on 06/14/07 at 2:32 am

I live in nebraska and it's mostly pop here.

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/15/07 at 4:09 am

It's always been soda for me. The only person I ever knew that called it pop was my 3rd grade teacher.

Written By: Lindee on 06/15/07 at 2:08 pm

I'm from Ohio and the majority of people use the term pop here, but soda is recognized as well.

My brother's wife is from Ohio and also calls it pop. He's from the midwest, like myself and we both call it soda.

Written By: La Roche on 06/15/07 at 2:43 pm

It's soda in Missouri, it's soda in most of Illinois but if you go down to southern Illinois it's generally just 'coke'.

Written By: statsqueen on 06/20/07 at 3:10 pm

I call it pop (live in Michigan).  But at restaurants I always ask if they have Coke or Pepsi products because I can't do Pepsi.  I got teased a lot when I worked in New Jersey for calling it pop instead of soda.  So I just told them that soda is what you drink w/ whiskey.  They only ever drank beer, so that was wasted on them.    >:(    :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/07 at 3:12 pm

I've always personally said "soda", but I know what people mean when they say pop (even if I associate it with Top 40 music more). ;D

Written By: Dude111 on 11/09/07 at 6:58 pm

I voted OTHER.

I call them whatever it is i am drinking!

Check for new replies or respond here...