inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tofu

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 01/30/07 at 1:11 pm

how in the heck do you prepare this stuff?  I would like to try it, but I'm not sure exactly how you eat it.

Subject: Re: Tofu

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/30/07 at 1:54 pm

I've heard of people using it to cook with other foods....it's supposed to enhance the taste...I"ve never tried it though.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/30/07 at 7:04 pm

Look up tofu recipes online.  I love it myself, and put it in a lot of vegetarian dishes.  You basically cut it up and cook it with whatever else you're preparing.  It's like a sponge, so it takes on the flavor of whatever you're cooking it with.

Written By: Stompgal on 01/31/07 at 10:45 am

I don't like the smell of tofu, so I've never eaten it. In my student recipe book, tofu is used as an ingredient for vegetarian options, often to replace corned beef in potato hash and ham in pasta with cheesey sauce and ham.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/17/07 at 4:58 pm

I've heard of people using it to cook with other foods....it's supposed to enhance the taste...I"ve never tried it though.

Actually, I think it's pretty tasteless by itself.  If you add it to soups and stuff, it generally takes on the flavor of everything else.

I'm not particular fond of the stuff myself (it's the 'consistency' I don't like)...but I know it's popular in Miso Soup and Hot & Sour Soup.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/20/07 at 10:22 am

We used to have a vegetarian resturant here that made tofu taste like heaven.  I used to order Cashew "Chicken," the chicken actually being tofu, and I loved it.  But then I dated this guy who was a TOTAL health nut, and ate tofu all the time.  One night he made me some tofu tacos.  All he did was cut up the tofu, pour SOY SAUCE over it, and throw it into a shell with some lettuce and tomato.  It was just ridiculous and NOT good.  I've had a slight aversion to it ever since.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/23/07 at 12:11 pm

You gotta douse it with sauces and stuff.  Then it's awesome.  You can also fry the outer layers and that is also awesome.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 02/23/07 at 12:33 pm

You gotta douse it with sauces and stuff.  Then it's awesome.  You can also fry the outer layers and that is also awesome.

But if you aren't cooking it with beef or chicken, how is it suppose to taste like beef or chicken  :D, I don't get it.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/23/07 at 2:04 pm

I think there are two different types of tofu too (if I'm not mistaken).  One is called "Silken" and the other....uh...is called something else.  :D  Firm, I guess it's called.  Firm you can chop and fry (which is the only way I've ever had it to my knowledge)  Silken is a little more creamy, I would guess.

While I've never tried to prepare it myself, I've had it in a Thai dish (the tofu was fried) and flavored with all sorts of spices.  It was really quite good.

There are alot of frozen "vegetarian" dishes you can get too to try tofu out, most commonly I think Veggie burgers are sometimes made with tofu (along with various veggies and whatnot). 

From the wikipedia website:
Unless one purchases it in sterilized containers, tofu does require some choosing when purchasing and some care while storing:

* Tofu can easily be spoiled if not refrigerated properly during transportation; any trace of sour odour or taste is a tell-tale sign of staleness or spoilage.
    * Smaller supermarkets may sell sour tofu because some do not use refrigerated trucks for delivery.
    * Once purchased, unpackaged tofu should be kept in the refrigerator. The water in which the tofu is kept should be changed on a daily basis and the tofu should be consumed or cooked within several days. Tofu in sealed packages can be kept from one to several weeks in the refrigerator. Tofu packaged in aseptic Tetra Brik containers have a shelf life of one year if unopened.

Subject: Tofu

Written By: Dude111 on 11/04/20 at 7:48 am

I've heard of people using it to cook with other foods....it's supposed to enhance the taste

It is like MSG?

I often have a reaction after having something with MSG (My nervous system feels like its on fire (I feel like im being zapped with high voltage))

Written By: violet_shy on 11/10/21 at 5:28 pm

I've been thinking of trying some Tofu but I'm not really sure how to prepare or cook it. (I will look it up when I have the chance). Anyway, I have heard it doesn't taste very good, but it's really healthy. Does anyone know what exactly tofu is made of? Maybe I will look that up too. Just want to be sure before I eat it!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/10/21 at 6:50 pm

I've been thinking of trying some Tofu but I'm not really sure how to prepare or cook it. (I will look it up when I have the chance). Anyway, I have heard it doesn't taste very good, but it's really healthy. Does anyone know what exactly tofu is made of? Maybe I will look that up too. Just want to be sure before I eat it!

It's made of soybeans.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/10/21 at 8:51 pm

It's made of soybeans.

Oh, ew.

I am not eating that. :P

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/10/21 at 9:56 pm

Oh, ew.

I am not eating that. :P

You never had sprouts? That's soybeans.

Check for new replies or respond here...