inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fave subs

Written By: statsqueen on 03/29/07 at 1:47 pm

What do you think....

Subway, Quiznos, Mancinos, or Jimmy Johns?

Subject: Re: Fave subs

Written By: nally on 03/29/07 at 1:49 pm

Subway and Quiznos are my top picks.

Also: Togo's.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/29/07 at 1:53 pm

Quizno's.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/29/07 at 2:02 pm

Subway and Quiznos are my top picks.

Also: Togo's.

Togo's?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/29/07 at 2:07 pm

Subway...and a local place called, "Abie & Bimbo's"

Written By: Tia on 03/29/07 at 2:31 pm

quiznos.

we have quiznos and subways here, but i haven't even heard of the other two.

Written By: spaceace on 03/29/07 at 2:37 pm

None of those mentioned.  My favorite subs are from my favorite deli Smiley's.

Written By: Jessica on 03/29/07 at 3:15 pm

Quizno's, although I had Jimmy John's for the first time the other day and it was hella good.

Forgot to add: In Castroville, Calif., there is a little place called Nicks Hiway Market. If you go that way, get the pork torpedo sub with $1 worth of pork. Make sure they put salsa and cheese on it too. And get it toasted. Lord, those beat all the chains.

Written By: nally on 03/29/07 at 3:20 pm

Togo's?

Yes, there is a sandwich restaurant chain called Togo's; they have locations out here in southern California.

Info about the franchise can be found right here.

Written By: whistledog on 03/29/07 at 9:40 pm

I only ever get Subs from Mr. Sub

http://www.hmshosttravelservices.com/images/logos/canada_logos/mr_sub_CANADA.gif

I love their Santa Fe Spicy Chicken 8)

Written By: statsqueen on 03/29/07 at 9:43 pm

I only ever get Subs from Mr. Sub

http://www.hmshosttravelservices.com/images/logos/canada_logos/mr_sub_CANADA.gif

I love their Santa Fe Spicy Chicken 8)

Don't have that one either  :\'(

Written By: Tam on 03/30/07 at 1:43 am

Subway

But if there was a JReck Subs down here.... LOOK OUT! :o ;D

Written By: Midas on 03/30/07 at 6:39 pm

There's a couple local places I like getting subs from...Meatballz in Scottsdale (near work), New Jersey Deli (not too far from my house - excellent Italian subs) and most recently, Uncle Sam's (also near my house).

If you're ever in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC area check out Rudino's for subs/grinders.  Yum.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/30/07 at 7:49 pm

Neither. Those sandwiches are horrible.

Since I'm not in my hometown of Philly (the home of the hoagie), I've finally managed to find a place that can give me something comparable to home. It's called Philly's Best out here in L.A. (Apparently, the owners are from Philadelphia).

Written By: spaceace on 03/30/07 at 7:54 pm

Neither. Those sandwiches are horrible.

Since I'm not in my hometown of Philly (the home of the hoagie), I've finally managed to find a place that can give me something comparable to home. It's called Philly's Best out here in L.A. (Apparently, the owners are from Philadelphia).

I have reason to believe the city of Philadelphia has a patant on cheese steaks.  No chain can even compare when it comes to them. :)  Besides folks from Philly aren't stingy with the filling.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/31/07 at 7:33 am

I have reason to believe the city of Philadelphia has a patant on cheese steaks.  No chain can even compare when it comes to them. :)  Besides folks from Philly aren't stingy with the filling.

Actually they do have a patent on the sandwich, lol. You are so right about the non-stingy behavior!!!

Written By: spaceace on 03/31/07 at 3:22 pm

Actually they do have a patent on the sandwich, lol. You are so right about the non-stingy behavior!!!

I heard the main argument is whether it's more proper to put American cheese on the cheese steaks or cheese whiz.  I perfer mine with American, cheese whiz ruins the taste.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/31/07 at 7:28 pm

I heard the main argument is whether it's more proper to put American cheese on the cheese steaks or cheese whiz.  I perfer mine with American, cheese whiz ruins the taste.

It's a matter of taste. Cheese whiz on it isn't bad; I prefer Provolone cheese to American cheese on it though.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/31/07 at 7:48 pm

It's a matter of taste. Cheese whiz on it isn't bad; I prefer Provolone cheese to American cheese on it though.

Now you have me craving a steak with sharp provolone and long hots from Tony Luke's.  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/01/07 at 9:17 am

Now you have me craving a steak with sharp provolone and long hots from Tony Luke's.  ;D

haha not a particular fan of Tony Luke's. The only thing I like from there are the roast pork sandwiches.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/01/07 at 10:09 am

haha not a particular fan of Tony Luke's. The only thing I like from there are the roast pork sandwiches.

I prefer Tony luke's over Geno's or Pat's but I rather get a cheese steak from a little shack that sits next
to the Coast Guard Station on Columbus Boulevard. Best steak I've had -- trouble is, they're rarely open.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/02/07 at 9:05 am

I prefer Tony luke's over Geno's or Pat's but I rather get a cheese steak from a little shack that sits next
to the Coast Guard Station on Columbus Boulevard. Best steak I've had -- trouble is, they're rarely open.

Jim's Steaks were more popular with me since I could get there more often than Geno's or Pat's. However, I like Geno's more than Pat's. They are not stingy with the meat.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/03/07 at 1:57 am

Subway, but there's a sandwich/sub shop in San Ramon, Ca. called  Mr. Pickles & I think it's a chain. Their sandwiches are huge. If you go, try the Tony Soprano. It's loaded with all the good italian lunch meats and provolone & olives and i may have to get one tomorrow. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/23/07 at 2:28 pm

My favorite place to get subs is Snyder Brother's Meats here in Salt Lake, but Quizno's is pretty dang good too.

Written By: Stompgal on 04/24/07 at 4:45 am

My two favourite places to go for a sub are Quizno's and, of course, Subway! Both of then are near to my home.

My favourite Quizno's subs are those that include turkey (e.g. Original Turkey) and I also liked the limited edition BBQ Steak sub (can't remember the exact name for it though). I also like their Roman Chicken Caesar and Roadhouse Ranch salads. Another good thing about Quizno's is that they sell Ben and Jerry's ice cream. They also sell amazing soup such as Carrot and Coriander.

I've recently tried Subway's Meatball Marinara sub and it was wonderful. Besides that, I like Subway Club, Subway Melt, Cheese Steak and Tuna.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/24/07 at 7:52 pm

I've recently tried Subway's Meatball Marinara sub and it was wonderful. Besides that, I like Subway Club, Subway Melt, Cheese Steak and Tuna.

Blasphemy!!!! Seriously, what Subway sells is a steak and cheese, not a cheesesteak. They really need to stop marketing it as such.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/24/07 at 11:24 pm

I finally ate Quizno's this weekend. It was very good.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/25/07 at 6:10 pm

Blasphemy!!!! Seriously, what Subway sells is a steak and cheese, not a cheesesteak. They really need to stop marketing it as such.

Tanya, you want blasphemy? Wawa has a new sandwich item; a toasted Philly Cheesesteak. My wife had one and
asked if I wanted some. ABSOLUTELY NOT!! I refuse to eat Wawa hoagies, there is no way in hell I'll eat a so called
cheesesteak from there. I'd rather get a box of steak-ums and make it myself than get one from Wawa.  :P

Written By: lorac61469 on 04/25/07 at 6:36 pm

I like a couple of local places, Bella's Pizza has an awesome chicken salad sub and Lyon's Den Pizza has a fantastic steak and cheese.  If I got to a chain I like Charley's chicken bacon ranch.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/26/07 at 1:53 am

I had a Subway ham sandwich last Saturday at San Jose State College when we went there to check out the school for Julie. They gave us free lunch coupons. It was good!!!

Written By: karen on 04/26/07 at 3:42 am

We only have Subway in town.  I like the fact that you can choose your own salad filling combination.  I'm a little worried we go there too often.  Last time I went in the woman serving asked if the foot long ham and cheese was to be toasted and she was right.  She didn't ask about any of the other sandwiches!

I like the chicken teriyaki with sweet onion sauce on honey wheat bread.  But I often have other fillings instead

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/26/07 at 1:26 pm

Tanya, you want blasphemy? Wawa has a new sandwich item; a toasted Philly Cheesesteak. My wife had one and
asked if I wanted some. ABSOLUTELY NOT!! I refuse to eat Wawa hoagies, there is no way in hell I'll eat a so called
cheesesteak from there. I'd rather get a box of steak-ums and make it myself than get one from Wawa.  :P

For shame, Wawa!!!! I miss Wawa though living out here in Southern CA!!  :\'( I miss their gallons of lemonade and iced tea. Now I'll admit I would scoop up a sandwich when I couldn't get one at my other spots.

But a toasted cheesesteak? That's just wrong!!!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/27/07 at 8:41 am

I've never had Quiznos or Mancinos, but I LOVE Jimmy John's bread....sometimes I'll go there and just buy a loaf (they sell the day-old ones for 79 cents or 2/$1).  As far as my preference between them & Subway, it depends on which one I'm in the mood for.

Check for new replies or respond here...