inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: butternut squash recipe?

Written By: karen on 04/18/07 at 4:24 am

I bought a butternut squash the other day after I was told to buy some interesting vegetables.  Now I am looking for recipes or methods of cooking it.  In particular if your recipe is liked by children I'd like to here it!  But any and all are welcomed.

Subject: Re: butternut squash recipe?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/18/07 at 2:56 pm

I like to bake it.  Cut it in half lengthwise and scoop the seeds etc. out.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes until it's soft.  I like to put butter and brown sugar on it before I bake it...it's delicious.  It's also good with butter and salt and pepper too. 

Written By: karen on 04/20/07 at 9:29 am

I like to bake it.  Cut it in half lengthwise and scoop the seeds etc. out.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes until it's soft.  I like to put butter and brown sugar on it before I bake it...it's delicious.  It's also good with butter and salt and pepper too. 

Thanks for those suggestions.  I think I'll use salt and pepper this time.

Written By: Gis on 04/20/07 at 10:22 am

My Mum bakes it, or chops it into chunks, minus the seeds and skin and roasts it with other veggies tossed in a little olive oil.

Written By: Southern Image on 04/20/07 at 10:27 am

Mixed with sweet potato's and it's so yummy.

Written By: karen on 04/20/07 at 11:06 am

thanks for the other suggestions.

My Mum bakes it, or chops it into chunks, minus the seeds and skin and roasts it with other veggies tossed in a little olive oil.

I'm not sure that I've got any other suitable veggies this time but I'll bear it in mind if the kids eat it this time!

Mixed with sweet potato's and it's so yummy.

No sweet potatoes at home at the moment

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/23/07 at 11:23 am

Karen, did you make it?  What did you think?

Written By: La Roche on 04/23/07 at 2:26 pm

I bought a butternut squash the other day after I was told to buy some interesting vegetables.  Now I am looking for recipes or methods of cooking it.  In particular if your recipe is liked by children I'd like to here it!  But any and all are welcomed.

Just do a vegetable medely.

Squash, Cucumber, Spanish Tomatoes (keep them on the vine thingy), some onion, olives, peppers etc, in the pan, bit of oil, get them going, tin foil over the top, give it 10-15 minutes, job done.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/23/07 at 2:26 pm

Just do a vegetable medely.

Squash, Cucumber, Spanish Tomatoes (keep them on the vine thingy), some onion, olives, peppers etc, in the pan, bit of oil, get them going, tin foil over the top, give it 10-15 minutes, job done.

That sounds gross.

Written By: Gis on 04/24/07 at 2:57 am

That sounds gross.
;D

Written By: karen on 04/24/07 at 3:55 am

Karen, did you make it?  What did you think?

I sliced it in half, scooped out the seeds, smeared it with butter and then put it in the oven. Sadly the children didn't really like it which was disappointing.  I'm trying to get them away from just eating carrots, peas, sweetcorn and broccoli.

I might try one of the veg medleys that Gis and Davey suggested

Written By: Stompgal on 04/24/07 at 4:37 am

I once had a Family Aide who gave me a recipe for a thai butternut squash soup. Ingredients include 1 butternut squash, 1 onion, butter or oil for frying, coconut block, thai green curry paste and vegetable stock. My mother has a copy of the recipe and I'm hoping to see her during the Bank Holiday Weekend in May. Otherwise I could ask her for the recipe via e-mail.

Written By: La Roche on 04/24/07 at 11:52 am

That sounds gross.

Jerk, Karen knows what's good.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/27/07 at 8:35 am

I sliced it in half, scooped out the seeds, smeared it with butter and then put it in the oven. Sadly the children didn't really like it which was disappointing.  I'm trying to get them away from just eating carrots, peas, sweetcorn and broccoli.

I might try one of the veg medleys that Gis and Davey suggested
Try it with the brown sugar....it's delish.

My best friend also takes it and cubes it with new potatoes & onions, then tosses it in Italian dressing, puts a little salt & pepper on it and bakes it (I think 350 for 30-45 minutes or until the are starting to brown). 

Oh, and I'd be ecstatic if my kids would eat that many veggies:  the only thing I can get all of them to eat is peas, 2 will eat corn (2&3), 2 will eat green beans (1&3) & 2 will eat carrots (1&2)....oh, and 1 will eat raw broccoli if he's in the mood for it.....2 will eat peppers and onions as well (as long as they're not too spicy).

Written By: karen on 04/27/07 at 8:40 am

Oh, and I'd be ecstatic if my kids would eat that many veggies:  the only thing I can get all of them to eat is peas, 2 will eat corn (2&3), 2 will eat green beans (1&3) & 2 will eat carrots (1&2)....oh, and 1 will eat raw broccoli if he's in the mood for it.....2 will eat peppers and onions as well (as long as they're not too spicy).

I know it sounds mad to complain when I have friends who make similar comments as you do.  I think its because we like to try other 'meat' dishes and have rice or pasta but it's hard to add a vegetable component to the meal.  They both eat salad after a fashion although only my son eats lettuce.  We were just trying to stop them being so rigid in their choices.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/27/07 at 8:43 am

I know it sounds mad to complain when I have friends who make similar comments as you do.  I think its because we like to try other 'meat' dishes and have rice or pasta but it's hard to add a vegetable component to the meal.  They both eat salad after a fashion although only my son eats lettuce.  We were just trying to stop them being so rigid in their choices.
I usually try to make either a rice/pasta side or veggies, too, but even that's not easy as 2 will eat the rice (1&2) and 2 will eat pasta (2&3) and only #2 will eat lettuce :-\\

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/29/07 at 10:39 pm

Try it with the brown sugar....it's delish.

See Karen, I told you!  I know it sounds weird, but it is FABULOUS!

Written By: Stompgal on 05/06/07 at 11:47 am

Here's the recipe for Thai Butternut Squash Soup.

Ingredients

1 large carrot, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 large butternut squash
1 tablespoon Thai Green Curry Paste
1 can coconut milk or 1/4 creamed coconut block
Thai basil
1/2 pint vegetable stock
Creme fraiche

Method
1. Sweat onions for 10 minutes.
2. Stir in curry paste and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add squash, carrot and coconut milk or block plus vegetable stock.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Cook for 20 minutes. Liquidise in a blender.
6. Stir in the basil.
7. Before serving, add creme fraice.

This was one of my favourite soups to make and it's delicious too.

Written By: Southern Image on 05/06/07 at 12:38 pm

Try all recipes.com. There should be something in there thats easy, and your kids will like. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/07 at 4:12 pm

My "chef" bakes it, too but he includes maple syrup in it rather than the brown sugar.

Cat

Written By: karen on 05/11/07 at 3:36 am

I spotted some more butternut squash in the shop yesterday so I might give it another go.

Check for new replies or respond here...