inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What type of wine(s) do you like?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/10/07 at 3:05 pm

This can be the 'sister' thread to Marion's topic on beer... 8)

I prefer white wines...especially California Chardonnays...

Vintners I like:

Kendall-Jackson (my favorite!)
Redwood Creek (Frei Brothers)
Woodbridge (Robert Mondavi)
Chateau St. Jean
Toasted Head

Subject: Re: What type of wine(s) do you like?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/10/07 at 3:54 pm

white...no particularly faves though I like California whites.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/10/07 at 3:56 pm

I don't usually drink wine...but I have had Beringer white zinfindel..and it was pretty good.  I also like that Asti Spumante...but that's technically champagne...right?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/07 at 4:06 pm

I don't usually drink wine...but I have had Beringer white zinfindel..and it was pretty good.  I also like that Asti Spumante...but that's technically champagne...right?

Spumanti is a sparkling wine-it can't be called champagne because it was not made in the Champagne region of France. And not all spumanti can be called Asti because (like the Champagne region) it HAS to be made in the Asti region of Italy. Spumanti is the type of grape they use to make the sparkling wine. And yes, it is my favorite, too. I would must rather drink spumonti than any other wine. But if I can't have my spumonti, then I usually settle for either a white or white zin (anything light). Red wines are too heavy for me.

Oh, Black Cat is some really good German wine.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/10/07 at 4:10 pm

Spumanti is a sparkling wine-it can't be called champagne because it was not made in the Champagne region of France. And not all spumanti can be called Asti because (like the Champagne region) it HAS to be made in the Asti region of Italy. Spumanti is the type of grape they use to make the sparkling wine. And yes, it is my favorite, too. I would must rather drink spumonti than any other wine. But if I can't have my spumonti, then I usually settle for either a white or white zin (anything light). Red wines are too heavy for me.

Oh, Black Cat is some really good German wine.

Cat

oh, thanks for that info, Cat..I wasn't sure if it was or not...it's pretty good though! ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/07 at 4:13 pm

oh, thanks for that info, Cat..I wasn't sure if it was or not...it's pretty good though! ;)

Yeah, it is. I'm usually not much of a drinker but I have been known to drink an entire bottle of spumonti by myself.  :o :o

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/10/07 at 4:17 pm

Yeah, it is. I'm usually not much of a drinker but I have been known to drink an entire bottle of spumonti by myself.  :o :o

Cat

hahaah...you go girl! ;D :D  Yes, it's the kind of beverage that definitely goes down easily.  ;) :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/10/07 at 4:18 pm

I don't usually drink wine...but I have had Beringer white zinfindel..

When it comes to wine, I was much like you when I was your age, Erin. I didn't drink it often, but when I did, it had to be the sweet Beringer White Zinfandel.

But a few years ago I noticed my tastes had changed, and now I much prefer the 'drier' wines. :)

I also like that Asti Spumante...but that's technically champagne...right?

Yes, I believe it is a champagne.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/10/07 at 4:20 pm

When it comes to wine, I was much like you when I was your age, Erin. I didn't drink it often, but when I did, it had to be the sweet Beringer White Zinfandel.

But a few years ago I noticed my tastes had changed, and now I much prefer the 'drier' wines. :)

Yes, I believe it is a champagne.

My great-aunt brought some of that Beringer White Zinfandel to my grandma's house this past Christmas...it was so good. I'll tell ya, before..I wouldn't even drink any wine...but I could definitely drink that one.  I am usually a malibu/parrot bay rum type of person..I like it mixed with pineapple juice.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/10/07 at 4:29 pm

My great-aunt brought some of that Beringer White Zinfandel to my grandma's house this past Christmas...it was so good. I'll tell ya, before..I wouldn't even drink any wine...but I could definitely drink that one.  I am usually a malibu/parrot bay rum type of person..I like it mixed with pineapple juice.

I've never been that crazy about rum, and again I think it's because it's 'sweet'.  One of my favorite mixed drinks is Vodka Collins.  I love vodka drinks.  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/07 at 4:34 pm

I've never been that crazy about rum, and again I think it's because it's 'sweet'.  One of my favorite mixed drinks is Vodka Collins.  I love vodka drinks.  :D

In this house, rum is a must.  ;)

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/10/07 at 4:39 pm

In this house, rum is a must.  ;)

Cat

Oh, we have rum...my husband loves rum & cokes!  :D

But we also have vodka, tequila and some special liqueurs for me... ;)

Written By: loki 13 on 05/10/07 at 7:13 pm

I don't drink anymore, I haven't for 7 years, but when I did the wines I would prefer were:

Wedding Veil...A German White Wine

Mateus Rose

I also was very fond of dry Italian red wines.

Written By: karen on 05/11/07 at 3:40 am

There are a couple of Australian wines I like.  We originally bought them because of the name - Nottage Hill -which is similar to a place near my husband's family.  Anyway I like those.

Not really that well acquainted with the wines we drink at home.  We have a lot of Italian wines at the moment because a wine club had a special offer on mixed crates.

I prefer white wine to red but we usually end up drinking red because we decide last minute to have a bottle.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/11/07 at 11:28 am

There are a couple of Australian wines I like.  We originally bought them because of the name - Nottage Hill -which is similar to a place near my husband's family.  Anyway I like those.

I've had some Australian wines that were pretty good.  We get quite a few of them here in Hawaii.  :)

I prefer white wine to red but we usually end up drinking red because we decide last minute to have a bottle.

I have yet to find a red wine that agrees with my palette.  :-\\

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/11/07 at 11:41 am

I really can't drink wine because I usually wake up with a really bad headache, but if I have a glass it's usually a  White Zinfandel or White Merlot. 

Written By: Step-chan on 05/11/07 at 4:10 pm

Boone's Farm Wild Island.

Written By: thereshegoes on 05/13/07 at 5:58 pm

Expensive  ;D

For real there's nothing worse than cheap wine :P

My favorites are Alvarinho,Cabernet and Pinot. I can't stand Zinfandel and Moscatel,they taste weird to me.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/29/07 at 6:28 pm

I really can't drink wine because I usually wake up with a really bad headache, but if I have a glass it's usually a  White Zinfandel or White Merlot. 

My cousin was just reccommending White Merlot to me the other day - I've never even heard of it.  I can't wait to try it.

I prefer white wines - Cabernet Sauvingnon or Riesling.  I love Chateu Ste. Michelle Riesling.  Delicious.  I also love love love Champagne.

Written By: Davester on 05/30/07 at 3:13 pm

I like Hakutsuru sake...

Fetzer white Zinfandel is good, too...

Coppola Diamond Merlot...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/30/07 at 3:14 pm

I like Hakutsuru sake...

I've never been able to acquire a taste for sake...

Written By: Davester on 05/30/07 at 3:23 pm

I've never been able to acquire a taste for sake...

It wasn't easy...

In my girlfriend's family, you'd better aquire a taste for it... ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 05/31/07 at 1:58 am

LOL!

My vote goes to Franzia (aka "Box o' wine").  :D

I've never really gotten into types of wine and their subtleties before. I can't list a favorite, but white wines are definitely not my thing...

Written By: NbC on 06/10/07 at 11:25 am

As you already know, I don't drink at all these days.  I think the only wine I have ever tasted was a Zinfandel and of course, wine coolers.

Written By: Gis on 06/13/07 at 5:02 am

Ahh wine.......I love sparkling wine too.I prefer Champagne or Cava, not only is it more dry it has a higher alcohol content than Asti. Asti is a desert wine really, very sweet and low in alcohol. 
I love Rose but again I don't like the really sweet ones like White Grenache so much.
I also love a good white, a Colombard or Chenin Blanc yum. I'm not a fan of red wine to strong and dry for me.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/13/07 at 2:23 pm

I'm not a fan of red wine to strong and dry for me.

I don't care for red wine, either.  I have trouble drinking wine that's not chilled.

Written By: jackas on 06/16/07 at 2:36 pm

Do you also like MD 20/20? ;D

Written By: jackas on 06/16/07 at 2:43 pm

I really can't do wine.  My husband likes reds like Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon and Coppola Cabernet and when he asks me to have a drink with him I have to force it down. ;D  I haven't tasted a lot of white, but I can sometimes drink the sweeter reds.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/16/07 at 3:54 pm

Do you also like MD 20/20? ;D

Last time I drank Mad Dog I had the spins and it gave me a two day hangover.   :P  ;D

Written By: jackas on 06/16/07 at 4:31 pm

Last time I drank Mad Dog I had the soins and it gave me a two day hangover.   :P  ;D

I've never drank the stuff, but the people I did see drink it ususally ended up passed out and the butt of testicle pranks. ;D

Written By: statsqueen on 06/20/07 at 3:07 pm

I can drink most any white wine, but if someone else is buying, then I go for Kendall-Jackson.  ;)

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/21/07 at 2:03 am

Until a few years ago, I was a strict beer and shots guy. Recently after the doc told me a glass of red would be good for the ticker, I have suddenly sprouted wings in a strong taste for wine.

For cheaper stuff, I will admit to Charles Shaw Merlot and Cabs (two buck Chuck from Trader Joe's).  ;)
Seriously, I've paid more for worse wines and 2 buck Chuck is better than most wines that cost 5 times the price. Its never a bad thing to have a bottle around, and for $1.99 who can't afford it?

For moderately priced wines, Redwood Creek's Merlot, Cab or Pinot (at the local Ralph's, Giant or Kroger) is a great buy for $6 or so. Ditto for Smoking Loon.
I like mostly California wines, but there are some French wines like Chateau Le Cl antere Merlot are excellent thought I can't usually afford to blow $25-40 for a bottle to just sip at a barbecue.
Also check out some of the up and coming Australia wines, the Shiraz varieties are a bargain and quite worth trying. Very good considering the prices.

What I've found that is so amazing is that you don't have to be a rich person to enjoy wines, as I usually don't like to spend more than $10-18 for a decent bottle of wine, but have found there is a multitude of great wines that don't make you take out a mortgage to buy and enjoy them.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/22/07 at 4:54 pm

I can drink most any white wine, but if someone else is buying, then I go for Kendall-Jackson.  ;)

I like you!

Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay is my absolute favorite wine!!  8)

Written By: statsqueen on 06/23/07 at 7:17 pm

I like you!

Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay is my absolute favorite wine!!  8)

;D  I like you, too.  We'll have to meet up sometime and have a glass (bottle?).  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/28/07 at 12:45 pm

;D  I like you, too.  We'll have to meet up sometime and have a glass (bottle?).   ;)

Sounds like a great idea!  8)

Written By: statsqueen on 06/28/07 at 3:11 pm

Sounds like a great idea!  8)

Glad you think so!  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/28/07 at 3:19 pm

Glad you think so!   :)

Karma to you for being so cool!  8)

Written By: statsqueen on 07/03/07 at 9:33 am

Karma to you for being so cool!  8)

Karma right back at ya!  8)

Written By: KKay on 07/03/07 at 5:58 pm

I love wine.

i really love cabernet and pinot noir ....i'ma red fan, but i'll tanke a nicve white on ice in the summer.

Written By: McDonald on 08/02/07 at 10:01 pm

I like a stiff chardonnay. The flavour that the oak-ageing process gives to a good chardonnay is just priceless. I adore it. Usually I buy New World (made in non-European countries) whites because they are labelled by which grape is dominant in the blend, whereas Old World wines are named by region, so you have no indication of which grapes are dominant in the blend. Therefore, for me, it's just easier to buy wines from California, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or South America because I can see plainly that chardonnay or pinot is the dominant grape. Saves me time and money.

Chardonnay from California's Russian River Valley is generally delicious, as are many whites from New Zealand, I find.

Written By: conker on 08/22/07 at 12:29 pm

For a special occasion Ice wine is great...quite expensive but well worth it.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/22/07 at 2:00 pm

I like a stiff chardonnay. The flavour that the oak-ageing process gives to a good chardonnay is just priceless. I adore it. Usually I buy New World (made in non-European countries) whites because they are labelled by which grape is dominant in the blend, whereas Old World wines are named by region, so you have no indication of which grapes are dominant in the blend. Therefore, for me, it's just easier to buy wines from California, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or South America because I can see plainly that chardonnay or pinot is the dominant grape. Saves me time and money.

Chardonnay from California's Russian River Valley is generally delicious, as are many whites from New Zealand, I find.

Chardonnay is my favorite type of wine as well... :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/07 at 4:40 pm

As long as we can get the cork from the bottle,I do not mind!

Written By: Gis on 09/05/07 at 6:24 am

As long as we can get the cork from the bottle,I do not mind!
You sound like my other half !  ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/08/07 at 1:13 pm

My cousin was just reccommending White Merlot to me the other day - I've never even heard of it.  I can't wait to try it.

I prefer white wines - Cabernet Sauvingnon or Riesling.  I love Chateu Ste. Michelle Riesling.  Delicious.  I also love love love Champagne.

I finally tried White Merlot a couple of weeks ago.  My sister in law and I drank two bottles  :o and we both loved it.  Needless to say it was a fun night!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...