inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Recipes for the Barbeque

Written By: danootaandme on 05/30/07 at 3:45 pm

Smoked Ribs

INGREDIENTS
6 pounds pork spareribs

Dry rub:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning salt (optional)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Mop Sauce:
1 cup apple cider
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional)
3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 cups wood chips, soaked

DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, black pepper, 2 tablespoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons onion powder, kosher salt, cumin, cinnamon, jalapeno seasoning, and cayenne pepper. Rub generously onto the pork spareribs. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
Prepare an outdoor grill for indirect heat, or preheat a smoker to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). While the grill heats up, prepare the mop sauce. In a medium bowl, stir together the apple cider, apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, lemon juice, jalapeno, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper.
When the coals are gray and ashed over, place 2 handfuls of soaked woodchips directly on them. Place the ribs on the grill grate bone side down. Cover, and cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Add more coals as needed. Baste with the mop sauce, and throw handfuls of soaked woodchips onto the coals every hour. Keep the temperature of the grill or smoker from going below 225 degrees F (110 degrees C). Ribs are done when the rub has created a wonderful crispy blackened 'bark', and the meat has pulled away from the bone. Discard any leftover mop sauce.

Subject: Re: Recipes for the Barbeque

Written By: Red Ant on 05/31/07 at 1:50 am

Sounds absolutely delicious. I love ribs and will definitely try your recipe.

I have a much simpler recipe which I'd like to share:

Meat (lots of it)
Fire (charcoal is better for flavor but gas is good when I don't have an hour to wait on charcoal)
Time

Cro-magnon cooking possibly, but a hell of a lot better than all fast food places around here, and, oddly enough, much cheaper, too.

All hail the grill!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/31/07 at 2:30 am

I did some ribs on Sunday and found a recipe online that sounded good so I went for it and ended up with a couple slabs o' ribs that would have made a bbq pit boss proud  :)  and the next time I make them, I'm gonna try it again.

the last 2 times I've made my own bbq sauce and this time I bought prepared sauce, but, it's Everett & Jones sauce from the famous BBQ joint here in the bay area http://www.super-que.com/HomePage/index_r9_c3.jpg
this place has some of the best bbq you can get around here and when I saw their sauce in the grocery store, I knew it would make my bbq better and it did. here's a pic of the original joint in Oakland and they have one in Berkeley http://www.super-que.com/Images/store_opening.jpg

so what I did from the online recipe was to clean and trim up the spareribs, then I spread a thin coating of Guldens spicy brown mustard all over. I usally make my own dry rub, but again I got a jar at the store and sprinkled it all over both sides and rubbed the mustard and the dry rub on the ribs, then wrapped them in cling wrap over night. The next morning I arranged them in a rib rack in a big roasting pan & drenched them well in the bbq sauce and cooked them in the oven at 225 degrees for about 3 hours, then I took them out and finished them on my bbq using charcoal briqutes and soaked hickory wood chips and basting them with more sauce turning them frequently to avoid burning and then cut them up and served them with extra sauce and eveyone said they were good and of course, I know when it's good or not too good, and these were excellent

Written By: danootaandme on 06/03/07 at 4:39 pm

Vodka Spiked Watermelon

1 bottle (750 ml) vodka
1 10 lb. or larger, chilled, whole, watermelon, with seeds (seedless won't work)

Cut a plug from the watermelon about 2-inches deep and the shape of the bottle opening. (I held the cap against the melon and traced it with the knife to get the exact size the cut should be) Save the plug (rind) that you cut out. Push a long wooden spoon handle into the hole. Cut another plug about 20 degrees from where you cut the first one. Save that cut out too. This is just for air flow, you will just plug this hole up when you are done.

Turn the bottle (carefully and slow) upside down and stick it into the first hole you cut into the melon. Push it down tight. Let it drain in. Push the plugs back in if you want to transport it. If not eaten in 2 days will become very mushy.

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 06/12/07 at 12:05 pm

Quick and easy salad

Tomatoes quartered
Cucumber peeled and sliced
Red onion cut into small pieces
Italian dressing

Mix together in a bowl and let chill for an hour. Yum Yum Yum

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/13/07 at 2:19 am

not much of a recipe, but I'm sure these boneless chicken skewers marinated in teriyaki sauce will be delicious appetizers for our small get together Saturday http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mUHJ5dGIlkBDiWjzbkF/SIG=12nssmo8t/EXP=1184397447/**http%3A//www.ckjerkshack.com/images/Curry_Coconut_Chicken_Skewers.jpg I'm gonna thow them on the grill and get them nice and charred and juicy & tasty. I hope  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...