inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 70s candy bar

Written By: Lindee on 06/04/07 at 11:00 am

Does anyone remember a candy bar from the 70s called a Christy bar? I never bought one but remember seeing it at the local Ben Franklin store near my house. From what I recall,  it had a blue wrapper with a picture of a blonde girl on it and I think it was white chocolate. I have tried a searching the internet and nostalgic candy sites but couldn't find anything.

Subject: Re: 70s candy bar

Written By: Quimper on 10/31/08 at 1:23 pm

I know its over 15 months since you asked, but I found your question while searching for Christy bars on the web.  Yes it was in the early seventies and I ate dozens of them during the course of a semester.  I got them from a vending machine and never saw them in a store.  It is very similar to the Zero bar now manufactured by Hershey.  I recall a white chocolate outside with a chocolaty nougat inside.  I remember nuts in the nougat so Christy could contain an almond chocolate nougat like that in the Zero bar.  I don't remember whether or not it had a layer of caramel on top of the nougat the way Zero bars have.

I have a recollection of the manufacturer being Leaf Inc. or the St. Louis Confection Co.  but I can't be sure.  An internet serach indicated that Leaf was acquired by a Finnish company.  I also found a reference that Leaf Inc was (or is?) a division of Hershey that operates out of St. Louis.  No date was given but I presume it is not current.  It's curious how my memory seems to coincide with this information.  It's also curious how I compared Christy bars to Zero bars which, as I wrote earlier, is being made by Hershey.  Is it possible that Zero bars are Christy renamed?

Written By: karen on 10/31/08 at 1:56 pm

I know its over 15 months since you asked, but I found your question while searching for Christy bars on the web.  Yes it was in the early seventies and I ate dozens of them during the course of a semester.  I got them from a vending machine and never saw them in a store.  It is very similar to the Zero bar now manufactured by Hershey.  I recall a white chocolate outside with a chocolaty nougat inside.  I remember nuts in the nougat so Christy could contain an almond chocolate nougat like that in the Zero bar.  I don't remember whether or not it had a layer of caramel on top of the nougat the way Zero bars have.

I have a recollection of the manufacturer being Leaf Inc. or the St. Louis Confection Co.  but I can't be sure.  An internet serach indicated that Leaf was acquired by a Finnish company.  I also found a reference that Leaf Inc was (or is?) a division of Hershey that operates out of St. Louis.  No date was given but I presume it is not current.  It's curious how my memory seems to coincide with this information.  It's also curious how I compared Christy bars to Zero bars which, as I wrote earlier, is being made by Hershey.  Is it possible that Zero bars are Christy renamed?

If you look at the Hershey site it says that the Zero bar has been manufactured since 1920 by Hollywood Brands.  In 1988, Hollywood Brands was purchased by Huhtamaki Oy and became part of Leaf, Inc. Hershey Foods Corporation acquired the Leaf North America confectionery operations from Huhtamaki Oy of Helsinki, Finland in 1996.

http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/zero.asp

Written By: Charles on 07/15/10 at 9:40 pm

I too remember the Christy bar - just as is was described: it had a dark blue wrapper with a picture of a lovely blonde girl - presumably Christy!  I'd be very curious to know more about it...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/10 at 11:28 pm

The closing of the Leaf manufacturing plant is documented in Michael Moore's "Bowling for Columbine."  The man in charge angrily ejects Moore and his crew from the premises.  They were trying to give him a giant dollar sign or something.

Written By: Lisa on 01/11/11 at 6:46 pm

I didn't know anybody had ever heard of it but me.  Yes, I remember it, but it was in the late 60's or early 70's.  I can't remember seeing it in any store, but it came from vending machines.  I would like to know who made them.  Yes, the wrapper was blue and a picture of a lady was on it.  I remember the candy as being chewy.  I'm thinking Tom's.  Tom's candies and snacks was in vending machines.

Written By: Christy on 01/30/12 at 9:51 pm

I tried searching for this candy several years ago and there was no information.  My family had a gas station and I thought my uncle got them special for me.  loved that candy bar--I had only ran into one other person out side of my family who had ever heard of it--similar to the zero bar--but exactly.  Thanks for the information.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/31/12 at 10:10 pm

I tried searching for this candy several years ago and there was no information.  My family had a gas station and I thought my uncle got them special for me.  loved that candy bar--I had only ran into one other person out side of my family who had ever heard of it--similar to the zero bar--but exactly.  Thanks for the information.

A little digging reveals some info about the Zero Bar.

"The bar first appeared on the market around 1920 as the Double-Zero, produced by Hollywood Candy Company out of Minnesota--the same outfit that introduced PayDays. In 1934 they shortened the name. And the rest should have been history. Hollywood Candy Company, however, was bought up by another operation, which was purchased by another--and so on until it ended up as part of Hershey."

General consensus appears to be that the Zero Bar is not the same as a Christy Bar.

The only reference I can find to the Christy Bar itself was from a 2007 episode of The Suite Life of Zack and Cody:

Zack: Hey, Millicent, we'll take a chocolate Christy Bar.
Cody: Hurts my money. We'll take a Twisty Cho Bar.
Zack: Christy Bar.
Cody: Twisty Bar.
Zack: Christy Bar.
Cody: Twisty Bar.
Millicent: Okay, that's it! It's because of you people that I wake up in the middle of the night screaming! Well, I kinda did that before... but it's gotten worse since I started working here! Eat this (reaches for a magazine) and LIKE IT!..."

- The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Season 3, Episode 6, Baggage

Seems to be that for the bar to show up in an episode aired in 2007, the bar must have escaped the 70s.  Either that or the joke was aimed at the parents at the show's target demographic, which is also a strong possibility.  So we still haven't solved this one.  If you, dear reader of the future, should stumble upon this thread, and if you remember - or can find anything on the 'net - about the Christy Bar, tell us!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/31/12 at 10:58 pm

If you found the right vending machine, you could buy a Zero bar three years after they'd stopped making them!
;D

Written By: Lindee on 02/04/12 at 2:29 pm

If you found the right vending machine, you could buy a Zero bar three years after they'd stopped making them!
;D

I still see Zero bars around. I was just at Wal Mart this morning and saw them in the shelves by the cash registers.

Written By: Kristi on 08/06/12 at 10:53 pm

I remember the Christy Bar. It and the Zero bar were both sold at the Old Mill Grocery where I grew up. I loved that a candy bar had my name on it, even though it wasn't spelled the same.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/12/12 at 10:56 am

70's Candy Bar?

She was a stripper  ;) ;)

Subject: The Cristy Bar

Written By: CollectingCandy.com on 03/05/13 at 1:22 am

Hi all,

I just posted a fair history of the Cristy bar over on CollectingCandy.com

http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=9071

Best,

Jason

Written By: Lindee on 03/05/13 at 8:48 pm

Thanks Jason. Good to see it after all these years.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/05/13 at 9:07 pm

How about a Chris Christie bar?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyxcjowZTu1rn1isao1_500.jpg

:-X

Subject: Re: The Cristy Bar

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/06/13 at 8:45 pm

Hi all,

I just posted a fair history of the Cristy bar over on CollectingCandy.com

http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=9071

Best,

Jason

Thanks for sharing - how did you dig that deep, all those old 1969-1970 print ads, etc... (including one that looked like some sort of confectionery trade industry award).

Written By: Al on 01/07/14 at 7:37 pm

Hey everyone. I know it's long after the original post but I was looking up the Cristy bar after a trip to the USA.

I was lucky enough to have had one when I was a boy. I had never seen it before and have never seen it since. I bought it in a local drug store. I spent the five cents and discovered a taste that has stayed with me until now, nearly fifty years later. It was a completely different bar from the Zero, my favorite bar. The chewy, light nougat had a really lovely flavor, and the candy coating was awesome. I relished each bite and found, on my next visit, that it was gone.

Sadly, companies have come and gone many times over the years, and I have found that rediscovering a long lost taste may not be possible. But if I could find a Cristy bar that matched my memory, I'd buy it in bulk and buy shares in the company.

To the sweet memories...
Al

Check for new replies or respond here...